AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2004-11-03, 19:02   Link #1
anime-otaku
Lazy Guitarist

Send a message via AIM to anime-otaku Send a message via Yahoo to anime-otaku
The "UNOFFICIAL" Quick sketch thread!!!

Well guys I have this idea floating around my head for a bit, so I thought I put it into action. It's sort of a "mini-game"

The rule of this "mini-game" is to draw something, with tablet or pencil or what ever drawing tool you have.The sketch cannot be just a face or eyes. And you SHOULD link the image to go easy on the slower connection users. And last but not least, if you participate, you MUST leave a comment for the participant before you. The comment should include some criticizism, some insight and what ever is approproiate. (( although you don't have to participate to leave comments ))

*edit* I changed the rules a bit, erasing is allowed.

So..I'll start this

School girl with sword and gun, oh my!

Last edited by anime-otaku; 2004-11-16 at 09:24.
anime-otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 20:18   Link #2
JERI

Well, this one's inked, but since I didn't erase anything during the pencilling, I figured it fits the criteria.

Inspired by current events...

http://img81.exs.cx/img81/9927/THE_HORROR.jpg

Great concept in that picture by the way, Anime-Otaku.
JERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 20:41   Link #3
Raxial
CG / Color

Send a message via AIM to Raxial
Nothing to post... yet. But lol, exactly, JERI
Raxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 05:30   Link #4
Zhaxra

Very cool idea!!!

Heh, I glad schoolgirls don't actually wear that, Anime-Otaku, or else we would get into a lot of trouble.
The pose is great, and for a sketch the props are okay (though the gun looks like a toy imo).

Jeri, yours is funny and makes me glad I din't go to college. The linework is great, but the shadowing seems inconsistent (sp?) to me (basically the head looks like the light is coming from below, yet the on the body the light is from above).

Well here is my done the day after Holloween. I had an idea of Morrigan dressed as the Scarecrow. Sketched with a ballpoint pen and marker done at work.
Oh the horror!!!
Old 2004-11-04, 08:02   Link #5
hbomb027
Straight out da 808 State

Send a message via AIM to hbomb027
Started off okay, but you can see what happened after that... Crappy design, and disproportionate. But hey, no erasing!

He's mad about it too...

I liked the shading on the previous post, makes it look very clean. For some reason it reminds me of the monster from "Jeepers Creepers"
hbomb027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 10:53   Link #6
Kabuto Maniac
animeichi

the first thing that went through my head seeing the title of this thread:

OMG WHAT A GREAT IDEA!

note that I don't have any bit of talent concerning drawing tho but this is seriously great ^^ seeing the first four pictures, I just can't wait to see what's going to be next ^^ all very nice =D

best: anime-otaku. the drawing is just perfect ^^ and it looks harder with such few lines (because one mistake will ruin it all?) than with alot of em, like:

second: Jeri. very funny ^^ and the guys face suits mine at the moment of the results almost perfectly

3: hbomb: this kind of things just aren't my thing... :S
4: zhaxra: what do the letters on the right mean? I guess some fell out of the image...
Kabuto Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 18:41   Link #7
Shoeshefied

Send a message via AIM to Shoeshefied
HBomb027<

hahah, greatt humor extension from Jeri's sketch Hbomb027... I like that predator guy, from the latest movie AVP. X B, as for some critiques.... its nice that its dark in dab, very good..especially since ya can't erasee X *{... (noooo...) It wouldd look so cooll if you can color it.. (and make it shinyyyy! .... \ *- *|... )..

well I here goes mines following the threads handicap, (did i mention my favorite tool is the Erase tool !! ..:*( ~darnit..) .

More female sketches will rise so after.
Shoeshefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 20:50   Link #8
anime-otaku
Lazy Guitarist

Oh, to answer some questions, People are probably thinking

1) What's the point of this thread?

First things first, I am sure many people draw quick sketches and just never bother to finish them, so This thread provide a place for those,

2) But then what the heck's up with the NO ERASING deal?

Well , it's to practice accuracy, knowing that they will be restricted to no erasing , one would try to focus their strokes more and try to make the stroke count, instead of going wild. Not only does it practice accuracy, it's also good practice for hand eye coordination.

Ahem anyway...

Oohh, Girls from Shoeshified *__*

I can see from the sketch that the main problem area for you is the face, and the hair, very messy over there. Try to draw more hair and faces and familairize yourself with your style on the face.

Okay, Here's another one from me. 8 minutes, blue ink pen.

Yet Another Devil Girl !!
Old 2004-11-05, 00:53   Link #9
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by anime-otaku
Oh, to answer some questions, People are probably thinking

1) What's the point of this thread?

First things first, I am sure many people draw quick sketches and just never bother to finish them, so This thread provide a place for those,

2) But then what the heck's up with the NO ERASING deal?

Well , it's to practice accuracy, knowing that they will be restricted to no erasing , one would try to focus their strokes more and try to make the stroke count, instead of going wild. Not only does it practice accuracy, it's also good practice for hand eye coordination.

Ahem anyway...

Oohh, Girls from Shoeshified *__*

I can see from the sketch that the main problem area for you is the face, and the hair, very messy over there. Try to draw more hair and faces and familairize yourself with your style on the face.

the girl looks like Etna-Envy combined....
and if i post my sketch, you guys are going to think "what the hell is that"?
because i cant even tell what they are after about a week
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 02:26   Link #10
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Quote:
Originally Posted by anime-otaku

oh, this thread looks fun..I'm a critiquing/sketching fan. hmm Ani-o, its hard to criticize your work! I feel like I have to nitpick..it is an 8 minute pen sketch for gods sake!

lets see..Maybe the shortening of the leg on the right looks a little odd, and I think how it was cropped is not helping. But I'm a fan of the pose, so I wouldn't change that. Actually, your poses are characteristically pretty interesting, so I think as long as you keep attempting something other than a standing figure, youll naturally progress with how things are positioned. Ahh..Im long winded -___- Anyway, I think the face is perfect and the attempted background, though Im not sure it adds to the picture..is admirable!!

so..heres my contribution! I sketched randomly on photoshop for about 10 minutes till things got too ugly for me to continue...heh

Where are all the pictures of guys?!

edit/ sOnJoOL, post your sketches!! <3
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 03:50   Link #11
hbomb027

Here's another one, however I am afraid it took a bit longer than 8 minutes.

Just started with something and kept adding lines till it looked a little more like something recognizable. I think the face could use a little more expression, and the whole thing could use a little more depth. And maybe I should stop critiquing my own stuff now.

Woo!

Tzurial, I like the profile of the guy in the back. The front guy looks a little squished, but nice job on the nipple.

Ani-O, I know what you mean about wasted lines. This little exercise is forcing me to take a little bit more time with the sketching, rather than putting lines all over the place. Just got back into drawing after what seems like a good long time, and this is a great way to practice. So thanks!

Example of lines gone crazy

Last edited by hbomb027; 2004-11-05 at 05:24. Reason: proof positive
Old 2004-11-05, 08:32   Link #12
Ashi-chan
Resident Asian Nerd Girl

Send a message via AIM to Ashi-chan Send a message via MSN to Ashi-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Ashi-chan
Hbomb, I like the guy's pose in the first pic. His facial expression is interesting, but I'm not wild about his hairstyle. Still a good pic.

I can see what you mean about the lines going crazy in that second pic. But I tend to like sketchy line drawings, as long as the lines aren't going schizo. ^.^;; The dragon riding idea was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
Okay, so I'm a bad artist, and I'm not an avid poster of my art, so you'll have to forgive me for the overly simplistic mug shot and not so great drawing. Although, for a quick ballpoint pen sketch, it's not too bad.

But you said you wanted guys, Tzurial, no? ^.^;;

Why does this guy look like Jamie in Megas XLR?!
Ashi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 13:51   Link #13
Shoeshefied

Send a message via AIM to Shoeshefied
Ashi-chan<

oooo, I like the hair, hmm..judging by the looks, i say this character is over 6 foot!! Veryy cleannn though (sincee ya can't turn over your pencil) and linely structured. its its..like meditating. Ahaha. um, uh well for the face its a little flat but hey not like i can do a bang up job on the face myself.

here ye go (i must admit it wasnt as quick as I thought, since i had to do a little control... ), my adobe died and so i had to use an alternative too.... ;* {

Eyes are a little off..hmmm I think this could be a guy too, you think??
Shoeshefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 19:23   Link #14
anime-otaku
Lazy Guitarist

lol shoeshefied, i think your character can be a young boy, but thats about it, way too cute to be a "guy" I really like the direction of clothes design you got going.

And here's another from me done on tablet, took about 30 minutes to fill the page

Total image chaos..sorta...
Old 2004-11-06, 02:49   Link #15
hbomb027

Great expressions on those characters, Ani-O. Lot's of diversity there too, I like it a lot.

I think I spent way too much time on this one, it might be going farther than just a sketch. But still, no erasing!

I stab at thee!

I'm kinda pleased with this one, but still lots of room for improvement.
Old 2004-11-06, 03:28   Link #16
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
oh, this thread looks fun..I'm a critiquing/sketching fan. hmm Ani-o, its hard to criticize your work! I feel like I have to nitpick..it is an 8 minute pen sketch for gods sake!

lets see..Maybe the shortening of the leg on the right looks a little odd, and I think how it was cropped is not helping. But I'm a fan of the pose, so I wouldn't change that. Actually, your poses are characteristically pretty interesting, so I think as long as you keep attempting something other than a standing figure, youll naturally progress with how things are positioned. Ahh..Im long winded -___- Anyway, I think the face is perfect and the attempted background, though Im not sure it adds to the picture..is admirable!!

so..heres my contribution! I sketched randomly on photoshop for about 10 minutes till things got too ugly for me to continue...heh

edit/ sOnJoOL, post your sketches!! <3
putting up one tomorrow.
title: When Line Go REALLY Bad
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 05:51   Link #17
JERI

Quote:
Girls are way more fun to draw because of they can be tantalising/cute.

Guys, on the other hand...

http://img91.exs.cx/img91/3363/KITSCH-vermin.jpg
Old 2004-11-07, 03:52   Link #18
JERI

The cool thing about this thread is I get to post any kitsch I come up with, regardless of quality.

http://img92.exs.cx/img92/6378/KITSCH-tomb.jpg
Old 2004-11-07, 06:29   Link #19
Zhaxra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuto Maniac
4: zhaxra: what do the letters on the right mean? I guess some fell out of the image...
Ah, I just used scratch paper from work, part of a check list I think. I always sketch while running boring diagnostics at work.

Jeri, the mood in that last pic is just awesome. I really like it. It feels like the guy is going to suffer horribly for stealing swords at the gravesite. Very well done. I know we're supposed to give a critique about it, oh wait, I didn't like that bright yellow spot above the shadowed figure.

Ok not the greatest, but done a couple of days ago in ballpoint pen (at work of course).
bad sketch
Old 2004-11-07, 07:27   Link #20
hbomb027

Okay, I think I took way too long on the last submission, so I tried to do this one at a quicker pace. Didn't take too long, about 20-30 minutes. Trying out a little perspective for a change, though I think the left arm is out a little too far.

Here, let me get that for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaxra
Ok not the greatest, but done a couple of days ago in ballpoint pen (at work of course).
bad sketch
LOL, Batman! That's awesome! Zhaxra, I really like your shading work, especially on the arm and leg bands. Faces are a little off, but nothing you couldn't clean up later with time and an eraser. Always fun to mess with different poses.