AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-22, 10:42   Link #1661
chaosprophet

Successors pool interim results updated. Mayuyu still first (787hs), but Yuuko also got a good boost (452hs), and Takamina (209hs) was able to pass Acchan (208hs) although only by one handshake.
Old 2012-06-22, 12:04   Link #1662
mochichan

Yuko's second now?~ Hell yeah~~
Tho I think the ranking will be like this for the rest of the poll so she won't be able to overtake the cyborg lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I thought that AKB is supposed to be about 'unfinished products'? If so, Makoto deserves her third place finish. She certainly has that feeling, especially in comparison to say, Sonata or that glasses girl whos name I can't remember, who for the most part has their shit together apart from technical skill.
Makoto remind me of Sashi, so yeah...probably why she got so high.
mochichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 13:20   Link #1663
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosprophet View Post
More updates to the glossary. So the gun AKB uses that looks like a AK-47.... is called AK-48! I lol'd at this name. They also updated with the missilumes.
And translation updated.

It may look like an AK-47, but it's fancier on the inside! Also does not require oxygen to fire (or carries its own oxygen source).
Old 2012-06-22, 13:35   Link #1664
sa547
*Author

^
Sounds like it uses caseless ammo, similar to the HK G11 prototype.

Quote:
Is there a proper term for something that works both in air and in outer space? "Amphibious"?
I'd say it's more like "universal", as the original AK-47 is damn tough, can still fire even after being immersed in mud, or run over by a truck.
Old 2012-06-22, 17:49   Link #1665
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

I am more shocked at the whole nonlethal aspect. Kind of makes me annoyed to see that. Really candycoating things AKB0048. Makes you wish it had a daytime slot. Either do it like Symphogear and don't hold back or just get a kids show slot.
Old 2012-06-22, 20:05   Link #1666
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
I am more shocked at the whole nonlethal aspect. Kind of makes me annoyed to see that. Really candycoating things AKB0048. Makes you wish it had a daytime slot. Either do it like Symphogear and don't hold back or just get a kids show slot.
What? We've seen blood on the last episode. which shows that they're not invulnerable: Kanata's dad got killed by a sniper's bullet while fighting, and Takamina almost came close to eating pineapple cake.

People in that universe would think it's strange the girls don't use lethal force on their enemies but it sets them apart from others who resisted against authority... Unless only in extreme cases they'll have to kill -- and I think Kanata did took out the DES pilot in complete disregard of Tsubasa's orders.
Old 2012-06-22, 20:24   Link #1667
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
What? We've seen blood on the last episode. which shows that they're not invulnerable: Kanata's dad got killed by a sniper's bullet while fighting, and Takamina almost came close to eating pineapple cake.

People in that universe would think it's strange the girls don't use lethal force on their enemies but it sets them apart from others who resisted against authority... Unless only in extreme cases they'll have to kill -- and I think Kanata did took out the DES pilot in complete disregard of Tsubasa's orders.
I think she as more concerned about Kanata being outclassed
Old 2012-06-22, 20:32   Link #1668
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
And translation updated.

It may look like an AK-47, but it's fancier on the inside! Also does not require oxygen to fire (or carries its own oxygen source).
Actually, most modern firearms can fire in vacuum, as modern ammunition carries it's own oxidising agent as part of its propellants mix. The real problem is that when firing in vacuum, there's no way for heat to dissipate, which can quickly lead to warped barrels and ammo cook off. Old school Battletech and Mechwarrior players know what I'm talking about - Mechwarrior 4's error aside, vacuum engagements were hell on anybody carrying high heat weapons.

So the modifications/design work would have been less on the ammo itself, and more on a cooling mechanism that'd work in vacuum.

Quote:
Yes and no, because there are other resistance groups to DGTO and DES that are pursuing armed conflict, such as Kanata's dad's group. What sets AKB0048 apart is that they're mostly attempting change via political/social revolution means, and in a more or less non violent manner - they're really just trying to follow Gandhi's playbook, as opposed to that of the IRA (The Troubles. This ought to be self explanatory.) or Haganah (Jewish IRA, more or less, in the 40s, that made so much trouble the British said, "Screw this" and gave them modern israel. One RM Commando historian snarked that the Israelis, having created their nation through terrorism, don't seem to do well when the terrorism's directed against them).

Their whole schtick isn't fighting DES to bring about change - they can't do that as a practical matter, because the balance of power is ridiculously in DES' favor. What they do is spread a political message using music, and at the same time undermine the Entertainment Ban.

As such, the girls try very hard to avoid getting into the kind of fights that would lead to inevitable casualties. Notice that their guerilla live concerts are essentially hit-and-fade attacks.

And lastly: you don't need grimdark all the goddamned time, or people dying. As an example: in 5 seasons of Burn Notice, no major characters have died, but that doesn't mean the story is light and fluffy. Hell, Jormungand - nobody on Koko's crew is dead (yet) but it's hardly a kids' show.

@Edit: Rewatching the episode again, that DES Ace definately has a skull emblem on his mech... albeit with a hoot and a scythe, so maybe it's Shinigami leader then. *shrug* Then again, the original Skull were the successors to the Jolly Rogers, while Frontier's Skull used a different emblem. Who knows?

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2012-06-22 at 20:43.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 20:49   Link #1669
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Really candycoating things AKB0048.
Hardly. People are in clear danger, and some have died. This is not a childrens' show. Moreover, the decision not to kill was not a meta decision, but an in-universe one. Not just for moral reasons, but for calculated ones as well. By never killing, 0048 helps ensure that most of the people on these planets they're going to are going to be on their side. You will never find someone in Kanata's position on the DES side. No one has lost family or friends to AKB attackers. Because of that, the people will recognize that the only ones who are a danger to them are the forces who attack the AKB. Even Nagisa's father recognized that the anti-entertainment forces were the only true danger to his daughter.

By refusing to kill, 0048 has ensured that the people are far more likely to support them. That support is the only thing that allows them to keep doing what they do, to have these concerts, and spread songs of hope. It is vital. It was not some meta-decision made by an executive to sugarcoat the series. The series isn't sugarcoated. People have died, and almost died already, and others may yet die. This was a decision made for very important in-universe reasons, so that people on these worlds can never view 0048 as true bad guys, no matter what their governments tell them.

Quote:
@Edit: Rewatching the episode again, that DES Ace definately has a skull emblem on his mech... albeit with a hoot and a scythe, so maybe it's Shinigami leader then. *shrug* Then again, the original Skull were the successors to the Jolly Rogers, while Frontier's Skull used a different emblem. Who knows?
...What are you talking about? I don't mean the skull symbol, that's obvious, but where are you getting these names from?
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 20:59   Link #1670
sa547
*Author

The DGTO would think the girls are crazy not to use deadly force against them, but ask any stormtrooper who wakes up after getting electrocuted, shot by a trank round, or thrown across the room by a girl named Sayaka, and they'll wonder why; it leaves much more of an impression than anything else.
Old 2012-06-22, 21:10   Link #1671
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
...What are you talking about? I don't mean the skull symbol, that's obvious, but where are you getting these names from?
Sorry, just a bit of tangent rambling. Given that the skull emblem appears closer to a depiction of the Grim Reaper, I'm speculating that the callsign of that particular pilot was Shinigami (or alternatively Reaper, perhaps). As for Leader? No real reason, except that it very strongly looks like he's the man with the plan. So Shinigami Leader. *shrug* But that's just speculation.

Jolly Rogers was the nickname of one of the most famous US Navy fighter squadrons: VF-84; their colors on the F-14 Tomcat served as the inspiration for Skull Squadron in the original Macross, and IIRC there was a statement that Skull Squadron was formed out of the remnants of VF-84. VF-84's Tomcats also had a starring role in The Final Countdown, alongside sister squadron VF-41 Black Aces.

After being disbanded in the mid 1990s, a number of VF-84 pilots were folded into VF-103, which abandoned its old name of Sluggers, and inherited the name and colors of the Jolly Rogers.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 21:13   Link #1672
Random Wanderer

Ah I see. Thank you.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 09:58   Link #1673
sa547
*Author

Can I share a bit of a fic idea I came up with, inspired by the recent episode and a crummy-and-good film I sometimes watched for laughs?

Spoiler for Just a shot at a ficlet, peeps.:

Last edited by sa547; 2012-06-23 at 10:10.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 19:44   Link #1674
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
-- and I think Kanata did took out the DES pilot in complete disregard of Tsubasa's orders.
What. Where did you get that idea? Assuming that manned crafts are harder to defeat than unmanned ones I doubt that Kanata had the actual skill to take down one of them. That's not even taking into account that she never had real training with the craft she's flying with.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 20:40   Link #1675
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
What. Where did you get that idea? Assuming that manned crafts are harder to defeat than unmanned ones I doubt that Kanata had the actual skill to take down one of them. That's not even taking into account that she never had real training with the craft she's flying with.
We never got to see the final result of the skirmish, but the next thing she's right there by the port window, in full angst -- which means she managed to survive such an entanglement with -- get this -- a hardcore DES pilot.

Based on her past, Kanata had considerable experience in combat even before becoming a trainee; she even mentioned that she also had piloting time on the combat LAS suit, thanks to her father who taught her how to drive the base-type version.
Old 2012-06-23, 20:42   Link #1676
chaosprophet

Quote:
We never got to see the final result of the skirmish, but the next thing she's there by the port window, in full angst -- which means she managed to survive such an entanglement with a hardcore DES pilot.

Based on her past, Kanata had considerable experience in combat even before becoming a trainee; she even mentioned that she also had piloting time on the combat LAS suit, thanks to her father who taught her how to drive the base-type version.
If she had actually killed someone there, considering how much AKB0048 is against it, It's very unlikely someone wouldn't have mentioned it before the end of the episode.
Old 2012-06-23, 21:48   Link #1677
mochichan

Maybe after the girls saved Takamina, Kanata came back and the ship did a Kirara Warp Drive out of there. I don't think Kanata killed anyone. Also weren't there 2 DES mecha? I don't think Kanata could take them both down.
mochichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 06:48   Link #1678
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

The 2nd one was unmanned.

Also Sayaka and Sae were still around making this at least a 3v1(2). This is while a DES battleship is constantly firing at the Katyusha. Most likely this turned into a stalemate with heavy artillery fire on both sides before they retreated.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 09:31   Link #1679
sa547
*Author

Oh, God, tonight's episode is both fun and devastating.
Old 2012-06-24, 09:34   Link #1680
Kazu-kun

It was a good episode.

Also
Spoiler for episode 9:

Tags
action-adventure, idols, musical anime