AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-04-10, 00:49   Link #2241
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

The Sheriff of Ramadi, by Dick Couch. Fascinating look at how a victory was achieved in Anbar - victory that was repeatedly reported by the media as a loss.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-29, 02:06   Link #2242
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

I started reading Artemis Fowl Book 04: The Opal Deception, I'm really loving this nostalgic trip into my childhood (I was obsessed with the series when I was a teen).
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-29, 06:07   Link #2243
DMurphy

At the moment, Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. I'm liking it, but not quite as much as I thought I would, unfortunately.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-29, 10:31   Link #2244
Xagzan

Finished Cro-Magnon - Brian Fagan.

The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films - Doug Adams

How to Read Literature Like a Professor - Thomas Foster

Currently returning to 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas now that I have a better translation. Man are there a lot of lists of scientific publications and fish
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 13:02   Link #2245
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddler Naruto View Post
I started reading Artemis Fowl Book 04: The Opal Deception, I'm really loving this nostalgic trip into my childhood (I was obsessed with the series when I was a teen).
i have read it, it is really good.

finished reading Bartimeaus:Ptolemy's gate(#3,Batimaeus trilogy) some weeks ago, now looking forward to reading Prince of Thorns(#1, Broken Empire)
Old 2014-06-17, 01:34   Link #2246
P99

Recently finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling, and Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior by Leonard Mlodinow. They were all pretty good, though if you could only read one, I would recommend Haddon. It's written in the perspective of an autistic teenager, so the writing style is incredibly unique compared to other novels I have read. However, at the same time, this could be viewed as a drawback because the way it jumps around and makes it hard to understand at some points. So it is definitely not for everyone.
Old 2014-06-17, 09:56   Link #2247
Ii_chan
Silent Ghost

read the cuckoo's calling on about of 100 pages or so.

not easy. i love read mystery book, but this book is, just perfect and slow explanation.
Ii_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-17, 13:46   Link #2248
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
finished reading Bartimeaus:Ptolemy's gate(#3,Batimaeus trilogy) some weeks ago, now looking forward to reading Prince of Thorns(#1, Broken Empire)
Finished reading Prince of Thorns, by Mark Lawrence xD

Very well-planned story, I really liked the characters in the end, because the protagonist's actions are fully explained and despite my early disapproval of him, things took a turn for the better halfway through. Definitely getting the other two when they're released here...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-28, 05:34   Link #2249
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Going to get this book.

The Invisible Force - A Photobook On The Gurkhas of Singapore

Legacy of peace forged by pioneer Gurkhas: Book extract from The Invisible Force

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-28, 07:30   Link #2250
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Fault in our Stars by John Green
Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

Excellent reads the both of them; in the former the romance is beautifully written and in both of the books the themes are presented in a way that isn't preachy and just makes you think. 10/10 will read again.
Old 2014-08-28, 14:53   Link #2251
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Finished reading Prince of Thorns, by Mark Lawrence xD

Very well-planned story, I really liked the characters in the end, because the protagonist's actions are fully explained and despite my early disapproval of him, things took a turn for the better halfway through. Definitely getting the other two when they're released here...
yes it is a very nice read, i like a dark protagonist like him and his darkness is given a proper built, it's not just for the sake of it.
of all the books i have read till now, i think this is the most where the mental and psyche of character is most explored.

now reading Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony
Old 2014-08-28, 15:17   Link #2252
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Recently finished Bank's Hydrogen Sonata and Corey's Abaddon's Gate. God damn brilliant scifi.

Now I'm just waiting for my next batch, especially looking forward to Project Itoh's Harmony. Tried to get his first book, but it was sold out before I could manage.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-30, 12:22   Link #2253
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
The books I've finished within the past few months: Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson, Stormlight Atchives #2

Also on this list are Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World and The Great Hunt. Now, I'm currently reading The Dragon Reborn... or in other words, yes, I'm out the read through all the Wheel of Time books, and I welcome this challenge. Granted, Lord of Chaos and Crossroads of Twilight are going to be the two hardest books to get through, and possibly Knife of Dreams. Lord of Chaos because until the end, I'm going to have to quell my rage, and Crossroads because it's the most boring book that I'd read in the series... and not sure how Knife of Dreams will be, because I actully haven't read anything beyond Crossroads.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-30, 12:30   Link #2254
vasya(russ)

The god delusion and The selfish gene by Richard Dawkins. This really guy really deserves his fame.
vasya(russ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-31, 09:59   Link #2255
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Jane Smiley's A thousand Acres, is what I'm currently reading. For those of you who like a bit of family dramas, I strongly recommend this book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
The books I've finished within the past few months: Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson, Stormlight Atchives #2

Also on this list are Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World and The Great Hunt. Now, I'm currently reading The Dragon Reborn... or in other words, yes, I'm out the read through all the Wheel of Time books, and I welcome this challenge. Granted, Lord of Chaos and Crossroads of Twilight are going to be the two hardest books to get through, and possibly Knife of Dreams. Lord of Chaos because until the end, I'm going to have to quell my rage, and Crossroads because it's the most boring book that I'd read in the series... and not sure how Knife of Dreams will be, because I actully haven't read anything beyond Crossroads.
Do you like Elayne? If yes, the books after COT won't be too bad. OTOH, if your answer is no...tough. You're going to be seeing alot of her and somehow when she finds out that
Spoiler for major spoilers:
she gets horrible. When I say "horrible", I mean she takes the most insane and unnecessary risks and all for the sake of pride and/or kicks. She does not seem to understand that 'alive' ≠ 'un-raped', 'un-maimed', 'un-scarred', etc. Nor does she understand that just because she is
Spoiler for more Elayne spoilers:
that her protection does not necessarily extend to the people around her. It just takes the
Spoiler for spoilers:

On the plus side, Perrin and Matt's group get some great development.

Last edited by Libros; 2014-08-31 at 10:10.
Libros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-31, 23:12   Link #2256
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Elayne I personally enjoy as a character, so that shouldn't be too bad. I also spoiled myself on events up to the end of whichever one is #13 (I'm getting Towers of Midnight and Gathering Storm switched around, not remembering which came first), and all I can say is that once Brandon Sanderson took over, it sounds like WoT really kicks into high gear. However, I also know part of the ending to the series, and it's a case of "Dammit, Rand."

And while WoT is going to take a few months to work through, and then I have LNs to read through as well... finding more high quality high fantasy is going to be the next challenge, since not much has appeared within the past 5 years or so

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 04:26   Link #2257
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Elayne I personally enjoy as a character, so that shouldn't be too bad. I also spoiled myself on events up to the end of whichever one is #13 (I'm getting Towers of Midnight and Gathering Storm switched around, not remembering which came first), and all I can say is that once Brandon Sanderson took over, it sounds like WoT really kicks into high gear. However, I also know part of the ending to the series, and it's a case of "Dammit, Rand."

And while WoT is going to take a few months to work through, and then I have LNs to read through as well... finding more high quality high fantasy is going to be the next challenge, since not much has appeared within the past 5 years or so
If you haven't checked her out yet, do so immediately. I'm talking 'bout Robin Hobb. Seriously, get on that sh*t. I personally prefer her work with Bingtown/
Spoiler for vague-until-you-hit-a-certain-point very massive spoilers:
but her Fitz and the Fool books are really quite good.

Crown of the Stars is really quite good as well, for many of the same reasons as The Elderling Saga(Robin Hobb's name for her collected works set in Fitz's world). Strong dialogue, powerful character development, excellent world building, etc.

The Sword of Shadows series. Despite it is not some generic high fantasy Tolkien clone.(:" Get the Ri-Sword, it must be destroyed else all will be lost etc.) No. It is grim and dark without being lol-grimdark. The protag is, to some extent, one of the peasant boys destined to save the world but the de-construction of that trope is so subtle in this book that frankly, you will never want to put it down. OTOH If we apply current morality there are no good guys. For example: In his youth the
Spoiler for spoilers:
once destroyed a Trenchlander settlement that was too close to
Spoiler for spoilers:
territory and so he took 200 men and went to slaughter them. Those women he did not kill he let his men rape. Granted, he didn't participate but not because of any moral compunction against doing so. Rather it was because the rape was - and I quote - "for his men."

Compared to some of the other characters he is a saint.
Old 2014-09-03, 22:50   Link #2258
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Last book I read (finished it last week) was Dead of a writer, by Michael Collins, wich I picked up because the excerpt on the back-cover made it sound like a good investigation novel... Ended up being a disscusion on the artistic value of writing and several ethical and writing dillemas (Does the tainting of an author's motive for writing affects the artistic value of said writing?), coupled with just a dash of investigation, all ambiented on a very cynical world, can't say I liked it too much, too many mistakes on the execution of what the writer was trying to achieve, but it's an interesting reading.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 23:24   Link #2259
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

After finishing The Great Gatsby (the movie), I have read the novel which was a great classic. Gatsby determination to be with Daisy truly get my admiration, Gatsby is my hero regardless of how he amassed his riches! I do admired a lot of rich people.

After that I finished The Crucible... All I can say is Abigail is total bitch, John Proctor have such a tragic fate.

After that I finished The Metamorphism, very interesting plot with the MC becoming the hideous unknown bug creature and again suffered another tragic end.

Last book I finished is Waiting for Godot, weird plot but humorous enough for me. What with these funny nicknames anyway? "Didi" and "Gogo" . The only book somehow avoided a not good fate for our MCs.
Old 2014-09-06, 17:24   Link #2260
P99

I've recently finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and I'm currently reading Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. Gaiman is a fantastic sci-fi/fantasy author so I definitely recommend any of his novels. So far Welsh's story is interesting and entertaining, but it's also not like anything else I've ever read, which I'm really enjoying.

Tags
books