AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-07, 19:24   Link #101
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Obviously, opinions are...opinions, but some of the views of Taichi just remind me why so many women end up in such abusive relationships. Maybe it takes a guy's guy to recognize abusive (physical abuse isn't the only, or even the worst type of abusive behavior) guys and/or how guys actually think. Admittedly, the author of this manga is apparently a woman, so I suppose I could be over caveman-thinking things.

All I had to do was watch Taichi in the present as the conversation came back around to Arata for me to peg him as having some seriously negative feelings towards what could crudely be called the cockblock. Oh, I predict on the surface he'll pretend to be friends, but us guy's guys know what's going through Taichi's mind anytime he'll see/hear Arata as the series progresses (we've been that jerk). How Taichi is going to handle it without tipping off to Chihaya's admittedly clueless head as to what a jerk he is beneath that fabulous hair, and the series seems ripe for some /facepalm as we guy's guys cheer on Chihaya to kick that loser to the curb. Though one hopes it won't be so predictable that she finds her "savior" from that in Arata's arms. In fact, it'd be refreshing if she doesn't end up with anyone when we come to the close of the season.

Anyways, Nana is one of my top...10, anime/manga, so even as jaded and cynical as I am today, I'll be staying on top of this, if only to laugh maniacally at the poor naive soul Chihaya as she strives for a national championship while being oblivious to the romantic tensions between her two male "friends".
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 02:04   Link #102
Hikari no Clover

lol i love myself for picking up this series, the story is surprisingly good and Chihaya is so adorable, i personally have no interest on the game as it requires so much japanese knowledge, but i know i just like this kind of anime that associate with unpopular sports (GO in Hikaru no Go). look forward to the next episode
Old 2011-10-08, 02:23   Link #103
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Best female character I've seen in ages. I love her.
Agreed. Helps that this isn't Shojo but Josei.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 04:35   Link #104
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I was really surprised at how enjoyable this was. I was as skeptical as anyone could possibly be about finding something to like, but the female lead comes off as quite likable and her feelings and relationships believable as well. Going to be keeping up on this one, though the game does seem a little strange. I like how they tied it into her having high energy and thus an unexpected aptitude for picking out cards quickly.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 13:38   Link #105
blue_sora

Never read the manga, but this is a lovely first episode. Kinda annoyed at how other people called Chihaya a 'beauty in vain' just because she's a bit impulsive and eccentric. Chihaya herself seems can be a top model with her beauty. Interested to see her sister's personality, somehow I think her personality is similar to Chihaya.

I really thought that the dark-haired boy is Taichi so I was surprised that the light-haired one is Taichi. I will be annoyed at Taichi if he break up with his girlfriend just because he wants to chase Chihaya. I'm rooting for Arata!
blue_sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 04:38   Link #106
ookamigirl

Dropping this one, the story is not too interesting even though the main character has potential.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 08:17   Link #107
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This anime almost slipped under my radar. I only watched it because someone made a joke about it being Kaiji season three -and I did get Kaiji vibes with how intensely the game was animated and Chihaya going KYUASHI- and I am immensely glad I did. This might just be the sleeper hit of the season.

This opening episode had everything I could ask for: lovely visuals (I personally LOVE the chara design, grown-up Chihaya looks drop-dead gorgeous), a strong and highly likable lead, and an interesting story. I just want to know how much importance Karuta will have. To be honest, I don't think this is a very interesting game (and Arata has a ridiculous advantage with his photographic memory). I'm hoping the series will be more of a character-driven series with a focus on romance, and that seems to be the case so far.
Old 2011-10-09, 12:22   Link #108
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

This definitely turned out to be a surprise for me. I didn't think an anime revolving around a card game could be this entertaining, though I hope it won't lost its flair later on.
Old 2011-10-11, 16:03   Link #109
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Old 2011-10-11, 17:09   Link #110
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Spoiler for episode 2:
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 18:55   Link #111
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Ah, and here I thought he'd be a lot more passive aggressive with his jerkiness. Though he was at least a coward enough to do most of it behind the girl's back. Can't have the girl you like finding out what you're really like. Can't wait to see what he's got in store for Arata when the three of them get back together in the present.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 19:20   Link #112
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Arata,you so badass , really he was just too cool in this episode

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Can't wait to see what he's got in store for Arata when the three of them get back together in the present.
Maybe I got a wrong impresssion but I felt the present Taishi had matured a bit and had sone regrets,we'll see.

Great work by all the cast,Seto Asami is definatly a name I'll keep on my radar.Glad to see Takagaki Ayahi in there as well,one of my favs and wish she got more roles.
Old 2011-10-11, 20:56   Link #113
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wow can't believe i almost missed this, glad i checked it out. Chihaya is the best, great personality. No idea what kurata was, but it does looks interesting and fun. So after 2 eps i hate Taichi, just one of those characters that piss me off. Of course kids aren't the nicest of people. Though i think a lot of it has to do with jealousy. Arata is crazy good, maybe he should switch to contacts when he gets older. So is this 2-cour?
Old 2011-10-11, 21:42   Link #114
sikvod00

I wonder how long they're going to focus on the past before they move back to the present. I realize they need to lay some groundwork so we can better understand the characters and their love for kurata, but I wanna see adult Arata and find out what happened to him.

Now that I've seen Taichi's mom, I understand why he strives so hard to be perfect. Both he and Chihaya's parents appear...inadequate. As for hating him, that's too harsh. Jealous children can be quite cruel and inconsiderate. It seems like he learned his lesson near the end, anyway.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 21:45   Link #115
Byakou

That ginger boy is a piece of shit, if I was arata I wouldn't have let him go without a good beating. But arata is waay too good-hearted, and that's why all the other kids are giving him shit, he can't defend himself. A normal person would have just forcefully searched the pockets of that ginger idiot as soon as the glasses had gone missing.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 21:56   Link #116
sikvod00

I just wanted to add: OMG, Chihaya looked so cute in her tomboy clothes this episode!!! I wanted to hug and squeeze her and take her home. *runs from police*
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 22:03   Link #117
Kirarakim

Second episode was even better than the first. I love all 3 main characters.

Yes I even love Tachi, although I didn't really like him in this episode seeing his mother I understand where his actions were coming from. And I expect he will change for the better as the series progresses.

Arata I just wanted to hug during the Karuta match with Tachi. He's an incredible player and I was so upset for him that he could not show that (no fault of his own). Loved the moment in the classroom.

And can Chihaya be any more awesome. We need more female characters like her: Passionate, loyal, strong, intelligent. Just a great character all around. I was so angry at her parents and sister how they treated her when she was telling them about the Karuta tournament.
Old 2011-10-11, 22:17   Link #118
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

About as perfect a two episode opening run as I've seen this year. Splendid.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 22:40   Link #119
Cabrini6000

Just watched the first episode, and while it was easily the best episode i've seen so far this season, i now refer to Tachi as "That Bastard" in my head.

But, other than that, I love, no, adore the rest of the characters. Chihaya is one of the strongest female leads I've seen in a while, and she is adorable without being, 'moe'. And Arata? Well, I might fangirl squeel whenever I see him. he's just so cool. I can't help it.

This is my favorite of the season so far, even if I had no clue what karata was before this show.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Cabrini6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 00:16   Link #120
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
That was really cute. Chihaya wins over everyone and even causes people to develop their characters because of her ambition. I guess the duo of Arata and Chihaya are very passionate folks.

Great stuff. Hopefully she can retain this awesomeness when she grows up. But I hope they will deal more with cards because it'll be fml if it falls into romantic melodrama.

Children's card games are seriously buisness. -- 9/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, karuta, madhouse