AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2010-04-11, 21:45   Link #521
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Organ? o.o Never thought of that, lol.

EDIT: Ok, I just used the 60's Drawbar Organ from the Yamaha PSR sound set in my Sibelius 3 and it works well. I got a Korg Triton sound set, but it seems that it's not working well. Sad.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2010-04-12 at 02:00.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 07:11   Link #522
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Organ? o.o Never thought of that, lol.

EDIT: Ok, I just used the 60's Drawbar Organ from the Yamaha PSR sound set in my Sibelius 3 and it works well. I got a Korg Triton sound set, but it seems that it's not working well. Sad.
Play the higher notes or increase the pitch using Audacity. Remember electronic keyboards are usually limited to 76 keys, much less than a regular piano with 88 keys, and that organs have even more available pitch and timbre due to the pedalboard despite only having 61 keys.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 17:48   Link #523
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

There are some people who have made Hammond B3 emulations. It's a difficult organ to replicate. It's a "rotary" organ. It uses spinning wheels for the notes to pass through. Not sure of the particulars. The B3 is the heaviest organ on the planet.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 02:12   Link #524
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Finally opened up Azusa's character music CD ... they did a good job of emulating a focused, skilled, but tiny musician whose voice hasn't quite caught up with her instrumental skills.

I particularly liked her vocals and energy in 'Watashi ha Watashi no Michi wo Yuku'. That was fun.
OTOH, 'Jaja Uma Way To Go' was more uncomfortable, like I was being required to attend a daughter's band recital.
'Let's Go' is a shouty anthem song so almost any voice can make it through that.
Old 2010-04-19, 20:49   Link #525
TremendousLion
Drum Legend

Send a message via AIM to TremendousLion
Am I the only one who thinks Mio voice actor can sing better than Yui's? Yui sound almost too girly, where Mio has a mature voice...
idk

:cower:
TremendousLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 21:27   Link #526
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by TremendousLion View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Mio voice actor can sing better than Yui's? Yui sound almost too girly, where Mio has a mature voice...
idk

No......Mio and Mugi sings the best IMO...
Old 2010-04-19, 22:58   Link #527
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TremendousLion View Post
idk

Any time the words, "Am I the only one who thinks...?" - stop right there. I *guarantee* you that many, many other people have had the same thoughts.

However, it isn't that "Yui sings worse" or that "Mio sings better" ... Yui's voice actress is affecting Yui's voice for the role. It is simply very high pitched and uncomfortable to Western ears (listen to traditional music from Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc sung by young women). Mio's voice is lower-pitched (more appealing to Westerners on average). Both of them hit their notes and fill them out.

However, Mio's VA has a bit more timbre and depth - and she can do things with the tail-end of notes that make her more interesting to listen to.

Mugi's VA has a singing careerr already in progress and she probably sings more professionally than the rest.

And finally, of course, "auto-tune" makes it quite difficult to assess -- wait for the live performances and you'll see very quickly who needs multiple studio takes and engineering to sound right.
Old 2010-04-20, 05:21   Link #528
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Any time the words, "Am I the only one who thinks...?" - stop right there. I *guarantee* you that many, many other people have had the same thoughts.

However, it isn't that "Yui sings worse" or that "Mio sings better" ... Yui's voice actress is affecting Yui's voice for the role. It is simply very high pitched and uncomfortable to Western ears (listen to traditional music from Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc sung by young women). Mio's voice is lower-pitched (more appealing to Westerners on average). Both of them hit their notes and fill them out.

However, Mio's VA has a bit more timbre and depth - and she can do things with the tail-end of notes that make her more interesting to listen to.

Mugi's VA has a singing careerr already in progress and she probably sings more professionally than the rest.

And finally, of course, "auto-tune" makes it quite difficult to assess -- wait for the live performances and you'll see very quickly who needs multiple studio takes and engineering to sound right.
Well the way they sing are supposed to fit their respective characters in the anime. You don't hear Ayana Takatetsu singing the same way in Kiss x Sis or Minato Kotobuki sing the same way in Chuu-Bra!.

In this case, Aki Toyosaki is just singing in like an airhead high on adrenaline, making her sound more like what Yui is : a completely dense schoolgirl motivated by her K-ON club.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 07:05   Link #529
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Both Aki Toyosaki and Minako Kotobuki had singing careers before Yoko Hikasa even started doing voice-acting. Heck, they're even in the same band, so both are already more 'professional' (read: experienced) than Yoko Hikasa (if she even has a singing career at all).

I don't really think one is better than the other. They're all good, irrespective of any singing career they may or may not have.
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 09:26   Link #530
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Minato Kotobuki sing the same way in Chuu-Bra!.
Her songs in Chuu-Bra! still reminded me of Mugi.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 12:13   Link #531
Sparvid
*hic*

From the second Radion Special CD.
Considering the, well, lower quality than usual, is this the seiyuus playing the instruments themselves?
Old 2010-04-20, 12:17   Link #532
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Both Aki Toyosaki and Minako Kotobuki had singing careers before Yoko Hikasa even started doing voice-acting. Heck, they're even in the same band, so both are already more 'professional' (read: experienced) than Yoko Hikasa (if she even has a singing career at all).

I don't really think one is better than the other. They're all good, irrespective of any singing career they may or may not have.
Hmmm, my bad, was working off some blog data about the seiyuu that was misleading. But I certainly meant nothing other than your last sentence. They're all good singers - its just taste or "the baggage the listener brings with them" as to whether one is better or not.

My wife can't tolerate the Yui voice or the Azusa voice for very long DESPITE the fact she sounds pretty much like Azusa when she herself sings. Her listening preferences are from being raised in the US and being exposed to the vocal ranges of western singers.
I still have to steel myself a bit before listening to a Yui song (though I'm utterly fine with Azusa's voicing because it has a gravel component to it).
Old 2010-04-20, 13:26   Link #533
Sparvid
*hic*

Aki Toyosaki sings with a somewhat lower voice when not in character as Yui:
Spoiler:

I don't know if Minako Kotobuki has done any singles as "herself", but of the top of my head, I haven't noticed much if any difference between her K-On, Chuu-Bra and Sphere songs.
Old 2010-04-20, 14:42   Link #534
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sparvid's example youtube is a good demonstration of how some voice actresses can sing *in the voices of their character* (good or not) while having a nice singing voice. That's a lovely little video and nice octave range for her in her real voice.

Probably the most dramatic example of this in the west are the voice actors from Animaniacs (a western animated comedy of the '90s). Tress MacNeille sings in the voice of Dot and of Hello Nurse as well as Lucille Ball (in Yankovic's "Ricky" music video).
Rob Paulsen (voice of Yakko in Animaniacs) can sing fluently in several hundred different voices and multiple languages.
The gods of animated voicing (Mel Blanc and June Foray) did their own singing in their many voices as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the animaniacs database of yakko humor
Yakko: Tokyo wa tottemo omoshiroi tokoro desu ne?
<Tokyo is an extremely interesting place, isn't it.>
Investor: Zehi irasshite kudasai.
<You must go there.>
Yakko: Mada iki basho ga areba ne.
<If there's still a space left for me, eh?>

Old 2010-04-20, 15:30   Link #535
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post

From the second Radion Special CD.
Considering the, well, lower quality than usual, is this the seiyuus playing the instruments themselves?
Yes, no doubt about it.

@Vexx: I didn't really mean anything with my previous comment other than just to correct you on the singing status of the seiyuus.
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 18:46   Link #536
Moogie
quick scopes anyone?

hi everyone. I made a guitar cover of Yui's rendition of my love is a stapler from the second season of the first episode. please check it out and give me some advice and stuff. haha ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQvhixLT9Ak
Moogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 21:25   Link #537
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
@Vexx: I didn't really mean anything with my previous comment other than just to correct you on the singing status of the seiyuus.
No, I appreciate it. Sometimes I have bad data as well.. or simply sucked at being clear in what I meant
Old 2010-04-21, 09:39   Link #538
FENR1Sdesu
Chokinggu =A='

Just preordered the Limited Edition OP/ED singles.

If my package arrives in 2 weeks after release like my Haruhi merch did before, I'll be so happy. Heck, I had that shipped nearing the holiday season.
FENR1Sdesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 14:57   Link #539
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sawako's inspiration perhaps? (too wild... over the top)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNQK9...eature=related
Jennifer Batten (watch the whole thing... )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuF_9...eature=related (her hair.. the lighting, rofl)
Old 2010-04-22, 00:35   Link #540
rockmanxpr

Band score book for the new OP and ED will be happening in May

http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/k-on/disc/cd_2.html#pagetop
rockmanxpr is offline   Reply With Quote