AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-05-31, 21:44   Link #281
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Aren't ONLY watching 3 good anime and ignoring 10 bad ones and saying anime in general in that season is at it's best is also not accurate?

Add 3 to the 10 makes it generally a worst season.
Has there been an anime "season" with only good animes?
*don't bother answering that, because it's rhetorical*

It's pretty safe to say that even 10 or 20 years ago more than 70% of all the animes back then weren't all that great
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 21:46   Link #282
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
Finally it came to this. From this day on I stopped becoming an anime fan after 18 years of being so. It was its current industry trend that actually killed me.

Back then when I was a kid I used to see some good shows like Rurouni Kenshin, Slam Dunk, Ranma 1/2 and Cardcaptor Sakura and today where these shows go? Instead what I got are generic action/ecchi/harem/moe shows for guys and generic romance/bishounen/reverse-harem/shouta shows for girls. Now anime industry have turned into something like junk food one. Produced in mass quantities, cheap, having little lasting values and can be quickly forgotten as you digest them. Yeah it's true Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Hunter x Hunter but it just not enough. At least for me those shows are good but nowhere as "masterpiece" and "exemplary" as most people claimed. Clannad is probably the last show that actually plot-driven despite being less than 50 episodes long(both seasons).

The only decent shounen shows right now are also quick cash-grabbing shows like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach(now ended) and Fairy Tail. Toriko is also heading in that way too. I know without these shows the industry itself will be in jeopardy but that's not an excuse not to make better plot-driven shows. About the plot most of the popular shounen shows are pulled for too long. Naruto, Bleach and One Piece are the biggest offenders(though I personally picked for One Piece because it is older than the other two). What's worse they are some shounen shows that actually tried to appeal teenage girls and young adult women instead of intended marketing audience(teenage boys). I'm not going to argue about that further but some people already figured what I'm try to say even they actually disagree with me.

While the industry itself is never better or worse than in recent years but I think I need to stop here. Ore no Imouto 2 will be the last anime I ever saw as an anime fan. It is sad to let it go of what already part of myself for 18 years but someday we need to say goodbye to our best friend. For me the day is today.
Why are you watching Ore no Imouto? It's the kind of anime you say you hate. Why haven't you watched shows like say... JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, or Penguindrum?

Heck right now Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is running. Exactly the kind of show to appeal to an old anime fan.

Sorry, but your complaints are about the shows you watch not anime as a whole. Why are you watching those shows? Why aren't you watching the other shows?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 21:50   Link #283
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Has there been an anime "season" with only good animes?
*don't bother answering that, because it's rhetorical*
Depends... But I could generalized after seeing all the goods and the bad ones.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 21:58   Link #284
NK_500
Disabled By Request

I know I had bad taste in anime but some "philosophy" stuff just failed to grab my attention.

I also well aware lots of people are hating Total Eclipse and Ore no Imouto but I loved them anyway. TE have good production qualities even the plot is quite off. OreImo never take itself too seriously which makes it good to me. Lots of people are calling School Days as "masterpiece" but for me it just a garbage, at best.

By the way the only reason I watch OreImo because I saw its first season. I want to see how it folds up even though I can see the third and perhaps even fourth season are in their way too.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 21:58   Link #285
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Depends... But I could generalized after seeing all the goods and the bad ones.
That's the problem that we are discussing in the last few posts...
People who have some kind of tunnel vision when it comes to anime and make inaccurate generalizations based on what they have watched and not as a whole.

When it comes to quantity there are more "bad animes" compared to 15+ years ago, but the number of animes airing every season has been more than doubled as well. I don't think that the ratio "good" and "bad" animes has changed that much over the years
Old 2013-05-31, 22:04   Link #286
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

At least we don't have something truly shitty like School Days and Mirai Nikki in 80's and early 90's. Maybe this is what NK_500 try to say to us.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 22:04   Link #287
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
That's the problem that we are discussing in the last few posts...
People who have some kind of tunnel vision when it comes to anime and make inaccurate generalizations based on what they have watched and not as a whole.

When it comes to quantity there are more "bad animes" compared to 15+ years ago, but the number of animes airing every season has been more than doubled as well. I don't think that the ratio "good" and "bad" animes has changed that much over the years
That depends if one managed to watched it all then generalized.
Old 2013-05-31, 22:07   Link #288
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
I know I had bad taste in anime but some "philosophy" stuff just failed to grab my attention.
From the New World, Steins;Gate, Key the Metal Idol, JoJo's Bizare Adventure, and Madoka Magica are hardly deep or philosophical, and their stories are easy to understand for most people who can bother thinking about what they watch.

Are you just going to shove these anime off and continue to push your argument about the "decline" of anime?
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 22:12   Link #289
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post

Are you just going to shove these anime off and continue to push your argument about the "decline" of anime?
She has her opinion... besides what's Madoka?
Old 2013-05-31, 22:12   Link #290
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Now, now, there's no need to end one's anime experience on Oreimo season 2. I mean stuff like after prolonged exposure to that would be a reason to quit life, much less anime.

Also, it's time to introduce you guys to the joys of terrible vintage anime.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 22:14   Link #291
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
From the New World, Steins;Gate, Key the Metal Idol, JoJo's Bizare Adventure, and Madoka Magica are hardly deep or philosophical,
Wait... what? You don't consider SSY and Madoka Magica deep and philosophical? There's loads of depth and philosophy in both of those shows!

You're really selling the intellectual appeal of these two shows short.
Old 2013-05-31, 22:14   Link #292
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
That depends if one managed to watched it all then generalized.
>_>
You don't get the point of inaccurate generaliztions, do you?

When i go to the local lingerie store and i observe it for 1 hour and after that hour i noticed that there were more men than women at the store. Nobody would possibily believe that my generalization that more men than women go to a lingerie store could possbily be accurate and that all has to do with incomplete data
*i blame date a live for this random example, because i couldn't think of any stores that women tend to go to*
Old 2013-05-31, 22:20   Link #293
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
>_>
You don't get the point of inaccurate generaliztions, do you?
My version.

In a buffet... Mario wants to know if all food being serve taste good. He pick 3 of his favorites ignoring the other 7 dishes. He liked the 3 and generalized that all the foods being serve taste good knowing that he never tasted the other dishes.

Am I wrong?
Old 2013-05-31, 22:22   Link #294
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Mm, I think you should stay away from this analogy thing.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-05-31, 22:23   Link #295
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
My version.

In a buffet... Mario wants to know if all food being serve taste good. He pick 3 of his favorites ignoring the other 7 dishes. He liked the 3 and generalized that all the foods being serve taste good knowing that he never tasted the other dishes.

Am I wrong?
Yes, because that's not even a generalization
Quote:
Originally Posted by merriam-webster
Definition of GENERALIZE
transitive verb
: to give a general form to
a : to derive or induce (a general conception or principle) from particulars
b : to draw a general conclusion from
: to give general applicability to <generalize a law>; also : to make indefinite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Mm, I think you should stay away from this analogy thing.
Agreed
Old 2013-05-31, 22:28   Link #296
backbone
Banned

I nearly grown out of anime in 2010, when nearly every shows totally sucked and failed to grab my attention, then Madoka Magica and steins Gate took me by surprise in 2011, forcing me to go back into anime again. Then, i once again nearly grown out of anime during winter 2013, by exact same reason as before. But then again, Attack on Titan and Hataraku Maou-sama's pure awesomeness managed to drag me back into anime once again.

The point is, no matter how many times i intend to kiss goodbye to anime, for some reason there's always miracles to force me back into it over and over again.
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 22:29   Link #297
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

For the restaurant analogy to work, it would be that Mario tried a few dishes at a restaurant and liked it; he then either

1.) Assumed that all restaurants that serve that sort of food are good
2.) Assumed that all restaurants are good.

That would be the equivalent roughly, for anime.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-05-31, 22:29   Link #298
NoemiChan
Banned

Nevermind.... Damn I'm not smart.
Old 2013-05-31, 22:35   Link #299
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
She has her opinion... besides what's Madoka?
Madoka is the huge hit among anime fans from a little over a two years ago. Won the Anime Choice Awards for Best Anime of 2011, as well as a few other awards. Apparently Magical Girl + Faust = the new Evangelion. Slightly spoilerish AMV.

As for you're point about bad ones being more common I think that is incorrect. Rather the lack of internet meant that the really bad ones never made it outside of Japan. I'm sure there were plenty of horrible anime during the 80s and 90s.

The situation right now is that you can't just say "Oh I like anime, lets watch whatever is on." You have to actually search through the shows, watch out for the little signals that a show is going to suck and drop those shows. Keep an ear open for what other people think are good shows, and ask for suggestions on this forum.

No different from any other medium. Movies, general tv shows, you pretty much have to do that for everything nowdays.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 22:40   Link #300
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Wait... what? You don't consider SSY and Madoka Magica deep and philosophical? There's loads of depth and philosophy in both of those shows!

You're really selling the intellectual appeal of these two shows short.
Yeah, I didn't say that right. Sorry.

What I meant that you don't need to delve into the philosophical themes to enjoy these anime properly. They have stories that can be taken and appreciated at face value. Whatever metaphorical imagery depicted is unimportant for the overall story. There may be important social and philosophical themes (I know SSY has them, but not sure about Madoka Magica), but they're not required to enjoy the story.

Contrast this to Serial Experiments Lain, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Mawaru Penguindrum. These anime always throw strange, nonsensical situations at you, and it's up to you to interpret them. What does Akio's car represent? What is the child broiler? These are all important parts of the story, but they don't have an explicit meaning that is obvious to everyone. Hence, they're "deep". Sometimes too deep for me to the point that they make me feel like an idiot for not getting them. Watching something like SSY or Madoka Magica feels simple and non-challenging compared to that.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote