AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-10, 05:07   Link #301
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Could you give an example of what you mean though. We aren't seeing how this would be any better if Shaft, or anyone else for that matter, did this. What should it be?

Basically you are telling us something without saying what that something is. What is wrong with it?
Old 2011-04-10, 05:12   Link #302
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Could you give an example of what you mean though. We aren't seeing how this would be any better if Shaft, or anyone else for that matter, did this. What should it be?
I edited my previous post for it.
Old 2011-04-10, 05:13   Link #303
Silverwyrm

I more or less get what your saying, but don't have much to say about it as...I tend to find things funny or not and don't really think about it beyond that...So I'm not a good candidate for this type of conversation

I will say I did notice a couple "lengthened" scenes. Though it didn't bother me too much, it certainly jumped to my mind when you mentioned it.

In any case, I'm still loving the show.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 05:17   Link #304
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
I more or less get what your saying, but don't have much to say about it as...I tend to find things funny or not and don't really think about it beyond that...So I'm not a good candidate for this type of conversation

I will say I did notice a couple "lengthened" scenes. Though it didn't bother me too much, it certainly jumped to my mind when you mentioned it.

In any case, I'm still loving the show.
Well, it's discussion board after all... There is no law protecting me from mentioning something I'm not satisfied with the show, right?...

Regardless of direction, there was some decent moments here and there, anyway. 'Most of direction' doesn't mean 'all'.
Old 2011-04-10, 05:21   Link #305
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
NO-YOU! Cannot appreciate the opinion, do you? Did I say any hate words without supported by reason? I clearly said what I like and dislike about the series, and there is no-reason to call me 'hater'.

I won't drop this, solely for this extreme animation/production quality. Hell, it is enough reason for me to appreciate the series.

I love surrealistic comedy, if you don't know.

You obviously don't understand the difference between 'Animation' and 'Direction'.... You cannot laugh if you know that. I clearly stated that quality of animation of this series is overkill. But, it still doesn't change the fact that some parts that 'should've been funny' ended up plain boring or useless, except for few moments like wiener scene in 1st episode.

I don't hate the series. What I hate is Kyoto Animation's lost of sense or brilliancy with their 'used-to-be-good' direction, which I thought came back with Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi. Kyoto Animation is trying too hard to make this 'slow-comedy-series' like Azumanga Daioh styled anime, but it shouldn't be like that.

In terms of directional sense and creativity with the random-comedy centered series, Shaft is better since they know how to pinpoint the important ingredients for humour from original contents. It has nothing to do with quality.

Mismatching BGM was one, but I admit this is biased. Anything that 'isn't funny' due to the atmosphere or lengthened sequence or scene is amateurish mistake.
I can appreciate where you're coming from, though I still think it's kind of strange to bash the direction alone that way. I can agree the music is kind of misplaced at times, but transitioning 4koma to anime is always difficult. It was apparently very difficult even for something like Azumanga and Lucky Star and it remains so.

I agree the awkwardness is there with extended scenes, but I don't really know how they can properly do such scenes at a reasonable pace otherwise. There's a lot of 'awkward silence' moments in the manga and for what it's worth I think they did a fine job transitioning it to anime.

I don't want to keep comparing Azumanga, but I don't know.. the manga itself had those fanciful moments of pure action mixed in with the slow. If you have to blame anything, it probably would fall on the manga for being like that to begin with.

As for Shaft, I do think they have a keen sense for comedy for sure. Not sure if that means they're masterful at the actual art of converting manga since they manage to piss off tons of manga purists while they do so. But when they put that laser focus on comedy, they're great at it. I really loved Natsu no Arashi and Arakawa Under the Bridge.

I guess with KyoAni, I tend to appreciate the production values even whilst in a not particularly funny or relevant moments. Kind of a Gainax effect.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 05:34   Link #306
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I can appreciate where you're coming from, though I still think it's kind of strange to bash the direction alone that way. I can agree the music is kind of misplaced at times, but transitioning 4koma to anime is always difficult. It was apparently very difficult even for something like Azumanga and Lucky Star and it remains so.
Ah, the problem is Nichijou isn't 4-koma manga. Even though all the chapters are ridiculously short, it does have more connection than average 4-koma mangas. It is more like Ika-musume. Kyoani's disconnecting it... a bit too much.

Azumanga daioh was ok with slow pacing since its comedy was already slow in original manga anyway (osaka = epitome of slow-comedy). If I were to say one of the most decent adaptation of 4-koma, is Seitokai Yakuin-domo, where pacing is ridiculously fast with dynamic direction; you don't even realise which humour was hit or miss. (haven't seen lucky star orz...) Just reminder that 'random' comedy and 'slow' comedy are not necessarily the same thing.

Quote:
I agree the awkwardness is there with extended scenes, but I don't really know how they can properly do such scenes at a reasonable pace otherwise. There's a lot of 'awkward silence' moments in the manga and for what it's worth I think they did a fine job transitioning it to anime.
As I stated above with Seitokai Yakuin-domo, there IS ways to do that.

Those awkward silence moment only works when event that comes prior or posterior is relevant enough to support that lengthened sequence. If it isn't, it should be skipped much faster.

Quote:
As for Shaft, I do think they have a keen sense for comedy for sure. Not sure if that means they're masterful at direction that way since they manage to piss off tons of manga purists while they do so. As far as conversions from manga goes, it is hit and miss with Shaft as I see it regarding direction. But when they put that laser focus on comedy, they're great at it.
That's direction. Example of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, their unique vector sequences or pacing removes the moment of awkwardness after one shock of humour. That's how it makes impact of humour better, for me. It is something only Shaft can achieve, due to their 'intentional' budget cutting technique.

However, some directions in Sore-machi was simply awful, though.
Old 2011-04-10, 05:47   Link #307
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I guess that's the thing though. I really like the slower parts even if it isn't a total hit in terms of comedy. I like the slice of life (or whatever surrealistic version of it is) mixed in. I guess if I was to only look for fast paced comedy, I would see it differently. Incidentally, I liked how Soremachi was handled too. But that show I felt was more going for the slice of life feeling to begin with.
Old 2011-04-10, 05:54   Link #308
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I guess that's the thing though. I really like the slower parts even if it isn't a total hit in terms of comedy. I like the slice of life (or whatever surrealistic version of it is) mixed in. I guess if I was to only look for fast paced comedy, I would see it differently. Incidentally, I liked how Soremachi was handled too. But that show I felt was more going for the slice of life feeling to begin with.
I do appreciate opinion. I just like some discussion happening... In case of Soremachi, you might get different opinion if you read some parts in manga, and how it is supposed to be funnier than it was portrayed in anime.

It's not like it can't get better. I have heard millions of times about how everyone says the first few episode of Lucky Star was boring, and eventually got better after 'firing' of certain loud mouthed animator.
Old 2011-04-10, 06:04   Link #309
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Lucky Star was a funny one for me as far as the direction went, because the second half seemed to make it so that the entire 20 minute episode had a singular flow while the first half felt like a sketch comedy. And I actually liked how both turned out. Rewatched it on DVD and no problem for me. Though what irked me a bit was there were a bit too much real life action shots.

I can kind of understand why the director was criticized, but I think the drama around it was WAY overblown. Wasn't Lucky Star also the first time KyoAni plunged fully into a 4koma gag territory? I thought it was a pretty good success for all considered. Though again, they really should have concentrated on the animation instead of the real life action. And the whole voicing of all secondary females by a male seiyuu was the biggest gripe I had with it overall.

To me, the biggest debacle as far as KyoAni is Munto since that seemed to go everywhere. Especially the letdown of a 'movie' which was more of a mixing of TV and OVA and not a proper movie production.
Old 2011-04-10, 06:12   Link #310
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

Spoiler for you did it again nichijou!!:

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 06:40   Link #311
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

I have no idea what the f*ck I just watched, but it was hilarious. Cake forehead! ( ºフº)
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 06:58   Link #312
TCman

Just watched the last episode. To me Nichijou is mindless fun, yet it has such a calm and relax pacing, also Nichijou got likable characters, awesome face expressions, some pretty nice animations, and above all funny dialogues. And boy, there are even a Gameboy and a Virtual Boy in episode 2! Someone from Kyoani is fan of Nintendo? Nintendo headquarter is in Kyoto, coincidence?
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 07:18   Link #313
GreatTeacherKen

The sheer amount of passion, drama, and epic in that notebook sequence was incredible.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 07:22   Link #314
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

What's the chant of resurrection again? It's just sooo....lol.

And also, what was that chant of resurrection used for? (I don't get that part cus the GUI in the game she used it in wasn't really translated.)
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 07:25   Link #315
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Spoiler for 2:

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-04-10 at 07:40.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 07:43   Link #316
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Now I want moe robot with hidden cakes.
Old 2011-04-10, 07:47   Link #317
Taufiq91

Make a contract, and your alarm clock shall work:

Spoiler for Kyubeyjou:

Last edited by Taufiq91; 2011-04-10 at 08:04.
Taufiq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 07:52   Link #318
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
Make a contract, and your alarm clock will work:

Spoiler for Kyubeyjou:
Now, THAT will definitely make me wanna run.
Old 2011-04-10, 08:03   Link #319
Wakan Tanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
Make a contract, and your alarm clock will work:

Spoiler for Kyubeyjou:
Shimata...
Old 2011-04-10, 08:38   Link #320
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Wait, so Mio is a fujoshi?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen, slice of life