AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-24, 19:05   Link #201
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I don't think Kyon has a choice whether he ends up with Haruhi in this one, lol.

I think when its over he will get with her, not the time travelling ditz or scary humanoid. Well actually we know for a fact he does not get with Mikuru because her future self told him not to get close.

Anyways I think Kyon is perfect for Haruhi and hope that he does get with her.
Old 2007-03-25, 00:11   Link #202
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
I don't think Kyon has a choice whether he ends up with Haruhi in this one, lol.

I think when its over he will get with her, not the time travelling ditz or scary humanoid. Well actually we know for a fact he does not get with Mikuru because her future self told him not to get close.
You mean that Haruhi will get Kyon. Kyon will not be the pursuer in this

It's my personal extrication from Big Mikuru's comment that they do indeed come very close to getting in a relationship (maybe even so far as a spontaneous kiss), but are soon reminded that such a relationship is doomed to fail and back off.
Nagato seems like the most likely other than Haruhi, although Koizumi would probably throw a fit with all the extra work he'd end up with if Haruhi ever found out. I can imagine preventing the end of the world would cease to be fun after the second time.
Old 2007-06-09, 11:21   Link #203
gouf 1/2
~ Get set!

very humorous and fun anime to watch. Only negatives is the episode order threw me off a bit. But overall i like the character design... and their personalities are very imaginative.
I give it 9/10
Old 2007-06-17, 07:37   Link #204
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Well since the animes im currently watching dont have any new episodes yet I finally decided to watch the whole anime after a final push from Kona-chan, Discovery channel and my local anime-ordering website...

I'll take back anything bad I said about Haruhi...cause she became my fav in the anime XD...very fun personality...great animation...nice dancin.
But the ending was too damn obvious and dissapointing.

(sorry for all the Kyon-otaku's)

Ladies and gentlemen!!!!

THE WORST CHARACTER IN ANIME EVER!!!
Just look at his irritating face he puts up all the time

This is probably the worst story-teller main character guy Ive ever seen...
I mean when he says "Thats what i think"...I went all : Well guess what..I dont effing care!! Id rather like to see what Haruhi thought..>(

If there ever will be a second season..then I hope to heavens that Haruhi will be the story-teller. <(

But for now...This anime will be one of my favs..Just because of Haruhi

Last edited by Tatsumiko; 2007-06-17 at 07:51.
Old 2007-06-18, 14:10   Link #205
Mirificus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsumiko View Post
If there ever will be a second season..then I hope to heavens that Haruhi will be the story-teller. <(

But for now...This anime will be one of my favs..Just because of Haruhi
Haruhi is an interesting character but she doesn't really have much of an idea of what's going on around her making her less interesting as a narrator. It would also require rewriting all of the existing material.
Old 2007-06-18, 14:47   Link #206
Boris Moskovitz
(-.-)

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouf 1/2 View Post
their personalities are very imaginative.
Eeeehhh...

Haruhi: Tsundere Sassybitch
Kyon: I'm very sarcastic and cynical
Mikuru: Super moé with big boobs
Yuki: Rei Ayanami
Koizumi: Possibly a homosexual? =p He probably comes closest to being "original" out of the whole bunch.

While I'd assess that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya brings absolutely nothing new on the table, it was still a pretty fun show with enough twists to keep it interesting.
Old 2007-06-18, 16:31   Link #207
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirificus View Post
Haruhi is an interesting character but she doesn't really have much of an idea of what's going on around her making her less interesting as a narrator. It would also require rewriting all of the existing material.
Yeah but it looks like its not gonna happen any time soon....but if it comes...I guess we'll have to put up with more Kyon thoughts >_>
Old 2007-06-18, 18:35   Link #208
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Moskovitz View Post
Koizumi: Possibly a homosexual? =p He probably comes closest to being "original" out of the whole bunch.
I'd actually peg him as the Smiling Smooth Know-It-All, which I first encountered (although I'm sure there's a prior example) in Slayers NEXT with Xelloss.

That said, he obviously is not a Xelloss clone (for one, Xelloss is a lot more goofy in funny moments, and scheming in serious moments), but I'd say the same for all the characters: we've seen their broad strokes elsewhere before, but each of the characters have their own unique quirks that make them memorable.

Yes, even Yuki Nagato. While she may be akin to Rei Ayanami in a great many ways, I'd consider her shading a bit towards R. Dorothy Wainwright in The Big O. She's unfeeling, while Rei is more uncaring.

Oddly enough, I can't really come up with many examples of the Cynical Sarcasm which is Kyon's archetype in anime (this is more due to inexperience than lack), but I can think of several examples offhand in Western TV (Blackadder comes immediately to mind).
Old 2007-06-19, 11:55   Link #209
gouf 1/2
~ Get set!

I enjoyed all teh side humor and all the moments of this anime.
I like the character personalities and design
The only draw back is teh episode order itself.

Spoiler for Episode:
Old 2007-06-20, 01:35   Link #210
Rotary Knight

At first, I was like
WTF is this crap.
havent watched any more episodes.

flash forward to a year later
HOLY CRAP THIS ANIME IS GREAT
Watched the whole thing in one sitting.

The thing that motivated me to watch it again was from my cousin renting the first dvd from netflix.......damn this is a awesome series.
Old 2007-06-21, 12:30   Link #211
Pendevous
Yoroshiku
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Pendevous
The original episode airing is a hell lot better than the chronological one. I was like, "WTF CONFUSING" at first, but then I realized that all of them came together. I love the series. Great anime.
Old 2007-06-27, 14:05   Link #212
Midonin
Last Engage

Having watched it in full awhile ago (and again as it's released in the States), I have to say it was very good. The setup of the SOS Dan moved a little slowly, but the series picked up greatly after that. Watching it in chronological order would remove a lot of what makes the series a fun ride - seeing Kyon and Haruhi arguing over the episode order, the piecing together of what's going on - even the plots themselves weave together better, oddly enough.

I also like how much Haruhi had everyone playing "themselves" (more than she knew) in The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina. Nothing beats Yuki as a rock-magician either. My favorite episode, though, would have to be The Day of Sagittarius III. I knew I'd love it when Haruhi Rider-Kick'd the Computer Club President down out of nowhere. That and the "space battle" scenes.
Old 2007-06-28, 04:07   Link #213
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
I would say that Koizumi has other Evangelion character resemblance - Kaworu Nagisa. I have seen quite a lot of similarities here.

Same goes for Yuki VS Rei...Yet I agree that Yuki is more lively and emotional than Rei, however, it wasn't like Rei was a doll as well (despite what asuka said about her), thus its probably least original character for me, yet, without a doubt very charming and captivating.

Haruhi, though, is pertyy original character. Though we can see a lot of similarities between Koizumi/Kaworu and Nagato/Rei we can't say the same for Haruhi/Asuka. that is mostly because Asuka was mentally very unstable character, while Haruhi is weird, she wasn't that psychotic as Asuka was. Besides Haruhi is cheerful while Asuka was far from it with a lots of self-hatred and suicidal thoughts.

Yet there is somesmilarities between Haruhi and Asuka in the way they both treat their own love interests - Kyon and Shinji - in a very tsundere-ish way. But still I wouldnt mark as your typical tsundere (same goes for Asuka, but in a different way).
Old 2007-07-01, 21:50   Link #214
AzeroIV

Hmm i loved most of the series, i liked the episode with the festival, hehe a Magician and a Bunny rocking on a guitar rocked , although i didn't like how some of the episodes went out of order, the one when they went to the island, and a different episode was next, got me really confused and wondering what happened, although this is still one of my favorite animes ever
Old 2007-07-05, 13:20   Link #215
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

One of the purposes of the 'out of time order' is to help you relate to how disoriented Kyon is. There's also some question about whether *anything* you know is what actually happened since Haruhi can alter the past, reality, now, whatever without even being aware of it.
Old 2007-07-09, 23:40   Link #216
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

I just got my wife to watch Haruhi. She loves it. This is significant because she's no otaku - only anime she's ever watched are Saiunkoku Monogatari and NANA. Otherwise it's all TV shows and dorama. I thought it shows how great Haruhi really is - the story is compelling to everyone, not just otakus. It's just so happens that otakus are the ones exposed to it first, that's all.
Old 2007-07-10, 11:53   Link #217
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I didn't find it anything amazing. It had good production values and was good technically, although it was nothing amazing.

It had the best songs among all the anime I've watched though ... I still play God Knows, even until now. >.<
Old 2007-07-12, 14:49   Link #218
sjk12

I really liked the series, mainly because this isn't something that you would see as normal. Though not pure random like FLCL, it had its sarcasm, tyranny and extraterrestrial species that made it interesting.
Old 2007-07-19, 17:47   Link #219
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I would say that Koizumi has other Evangelion character resemblance - Kaworu Nagisa. I have seen quite a lot of similarities here.

Same goes for Yuki VS Rei...Yet I agree that Yuki is more lively and emotional than Rei, however, it wasn't like Rei was a doll as well (despite what asuka said about her), thus its probably least original character for me, yet, without a doubt very charming and captivating.

Haruhi, though, is pertyy original character. Though we can see a lot of similarities between Koizumi/Kaworu and Nagato/Rei we can't say the same for Haruhi/Asuka. that is mostly because Asuka was mentally very unstable character, while Haruhi is weird, she wasn't that psychotic as Asuka was. Besides Haruhi is cheerful while Asuka was far from it with a lots of self-hatred and suicidal thoughts.

Yet there is somesmilarities between Haruhi and Asuka in the way they both treat their own love interests - Kyon and Shinji - in a very tsundere-ish way. But still I wouldnt mark as your typical tsundere (same goes for Asuka, but in a different way).
That's the entire point. Yuki, Mikuru, Koizumi, Kyon and Haruhi are all supposed to be anime cliches. They're pretty much there to parody anime archetypes.

I wasn't disappointed by it though since they all get sufficient character development or some sort of twist to offset it.

Haruhi: Uber-bitch. Tsundere. Eccentric Genius. Also possibly a god, God, an agent of the supernatural or just a girl with powers. Great fun. She's a typical character, but I can't help but admire her enthusiasm and sense of freedom. There's also quite a bit of irony in the fact that there's all this magic right under her nose that she isn't aware of. There's probably a parallel in there to real life. . . I guess. Unlike most tsundere though, she's most affectionate towards Kyon when she's forcing heavy labor onto him or squabbling with him.

Koizumi: Appears to be a snobby private school of student. Sadly, he's forced to play this role for the rest of his days and won't be getting his development in the first season. He's still great fun for his commentary, speculation and bits of philosophy. He's the deep thinker of the group, but he doesn't get the credit he deserves for it. (Yuki is really more of an ultra-powerful and fast processor.)

Yuki: Typical "emotionless girl" who blooms into her emotions. Not an original archetype, but it works fine. In the meantime, we get to see her bend the laws of physics and give Kyon headaches. Watching her gestures and motions throughout the series is great fun. (i.e. Yuki tilting forward in the library and walking at an angle towards the shelves. Yuki eating and playing baseball in a mechanical fashion.) Yuki brings a dash of sci-fi to the show. Day of Sagittarius for the win!

Kyon: Cynical and unusually philosophical high-school student. Narrator Lies to the audience and himself about his attraction to Haruhi. Nothing is compete about this show without his sarcasm and him bemoaning the loss of his sanity. Again, he lies to the audience -- he secretly enjoys his new life. "Power of habit" my ass. He's also apathetic and bored with life, something I can identify with pretty easily.

It should also be noted that Kyon is a man of mystery. We don't actually know what business he has with a god-like alien, psychic, god-like school girl and a time traveler. Is there something about Kyon that even he is not aware of? He doesn't even really have a proper name...
Spoiler for In the novels...:

Mikuru: A one-note loli-girl. That's her entire function in the series. It's funny mostly because her existence isn't made necessary because the producers want to provide fanservice. It's because Haruhi does. What Haruhi wants, she gets. It's hilarious watching Haruhi stuff Mikuru into the costumes and hearing her squeal in a high-pitched tone. Unlike most pieces of fanservice meat, Mikuru actually has a sense of modesty. Even her relationship to Kyon is mostly a result of her clinginess and insecurity and Kyon's desire to drown out his confusion. It's refreshing to see that this sort of thing doesn't get passed off as "true love."

Last edited by Twisted Reality; 2007-07-19 at 18:39.
Old 2007-07-19, 21:27   Link #220
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
Mikuru: A one-note loli-girl. That's her entire function in the series.
The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru and The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi may be of interest to you
Closed Thread