AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Days

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-03, 15:43   Link #161
fieryshadowcard

Are you trying to imply that the others didn't get laid?

Sure, they may not have done so during the anime's/game's/manga's time period, but they also didn't fail as human beings (well, for those who did, they didn't do it nearly as bad as Makoto), had a lot more obstacles, and proved one way or another that when the girls were wiilling to do it, they had earned it.

To be honest, Makoto's "conquests" are no different than most hentai doujins--all sex, no backstory/credibility/consequences/etc.

These girls respond to Makoto no matter what he does, and there's no basis. The other male leads don't get that luxury, so keep that in mind.

1) They have to do things that make girls respond favorably.
2) When the girls do or don't respond favorably, there is a basis for it (even if that basis is the cliched and unrealistic "tsundere holds onto her hatred of you indefinitely after the first impression, falters momentarily because of something really attraction-worthy you did, then returns to her hateful stance because of something very minor or misunderstood" basis).

If Makoto proves that male leads can get laid, then it's in an alternate dimension where people (even anime people) function entirely (note: in every single way) different from how we function. For the sake of argument, this dimension will now be named either Fantasy Dimension or Doujinshi Dimension (Doujinsion for short).

It should also be noted that even the wimpiest of typical harem male leads would eventually cave in if they had the exact same scenario as Makoto, which is girls who are unconditionally willing to give it up. Makoto's not doing anything that improves his chances, really. So you could just put any other blank face into his shoes and pat them on the back for what they do. Or you can put any currently existing male lead into his shoes and even if they were just as much of a two-timing cheater as he was, there'd at least be remorse or consideration on their part. I can't congratulate Makoto for getting laid, because there's a limit to the "Impossibility in Anime" clause.
Old 2007-09-03, 18:34   Link #162
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Normally, the reasons for the girls to like the male lead are gimmicky and silly, but in School Days I just don't see 'em at all. There's very few harem leads I'd consider attractive to women in real life, one of them is KyoAni's Yuuichi, because he was smart, reliable and had a good sense of humour. Some others have other virtues. I think that they're often that way (getting girls for no apparent reason) because of the target audience, though...

In any case, Makoto's just really bad in every way. He's not even got that silly "he's stupid and a perv but he's nice deep down" factor that supposedly attracts girls.

Don't get me wrong, I like School Days, but I don't think Makoto's character is believable, nor the fact that the girls feel attracted to him. Even compared to other harem shows.
Old 2007-09-05, 14:13   Link #163
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST View Post
Normally, the reasons for the girls to like the male lead are gimmicky and silly, but in School Days I just don't see 'em at all. There's very few harem leads I'd consider attractive to women in real life, one of them is KyoAni's Yuuichi, because he was smart, reliable and had a good sense of humour. Some others have other virtues. I think that they're often that way (getting girls for no apparent reason) because of the target audience, though...

In any case, Makoto's just really bad in every way. He's not even got that silly "he's stupid and a perv but he's nice deep down" factor that supposedly attracts girls.

Don't get me wrong, I like School Days, but I don't think Makoto's character is believable, nor the fact that the girls feel attracted to him. Even compared to other harem shows.
Unless you use the badboy explination. Almost all girls go through the i like badboy's phase. This could be another quality that keeps the girl jumping at him
Old 2007-09-05, 15:52   Link #164
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Sure, but Makoto doesn't even have that aura.

I'll say that girls are very competitive so I can see why they'd want Makoto for themselves if they notice/find out/are told that a lot of girls are attracted to a certain guy. But...why'd any of them like Makoto in the first place? Especially good looking girls. He's pretty worthless, I'm sure they'd have much better to pick from, if this was real life.

But it isn't, it's School Days. That's why I'm not expecting realism, I'm expecting a good story. It's just that I find it laughable whenever I heard Makoto's character called "realistic", for this and for other simpler reasons, like his overall personality.
Old 2007-09-05, 16:20   Link #165
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Makoto is an idiot, plain and simple. He just wants to get laid without having to deal with everything thats suppose to come with it. If he catches a slight hint of a girl that is somewhat attracted to him, he'll play that card and get a piece of it.
Old 2007-09-05, 17:25   Link #166
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST View Post
Sure, but Makoto doesn't even have that aura.

I'll say that girls are very competitive so I can see why they'd want Makoto for themselves if they notice/find out/are told that a lot of girls are attracted to a certain guy. But...why'd any of them like Makoto in the first place? Especially good looking girls. He's pretty worthless, I'm sure they'd have much better to pick from, if this was real life.

But it isn't, it's School Days. That's why I'm not expecting realism, I'm expecting a good story. It's just that I find it laughable whenever I heard Makoto's character called "realistic", for this and for other simpler reasons, like his overall personality.
School Days makes normal harem animes seem realistic by comparison. At least in the "why the heck do these girls fall for the main lead?" department. The only way his character is realistic is in the way that there are a lot of people who really are jerks, I guess. His luck with women and their willingness to give it all up for him is certainly not realistic. Maybe the final twist will reveal that he's some sort of wizard, using his black magic to seduce the unsuspecting girls? :<

"To test a man's true character, give him power." (Paraphrased, Abraham Lincoln? Correct me if I'm misattributing it)
I thought this fit Makoto perfectly, he was a normal guy put in a position of "power" and showed his true colors quickly.
Old 2007-09-08, 04:06   Link #167
mistyken

One sentense to sum it all.....We think with our brain, Makoto thinks with his lower body.
Old 2007-09-08, 18:16   Link #168
Fear-less+heart

I have to say, that this is the first time ever I have saw a main character get laid with some many girls in a anime. And yes Makooto is a dick, because I felt kind of bad the way he treated Kotonoha. But then we see him sleeping with the girl he went to middle school with. Also he was sleeping with Kiyoura, and here I was thinking he actually had some real feeling for Sekai. So yeah he is pretty much a guy thinking with his lower body instead of his brain, kind of like a guy in real life would do.

Last edited by Fear-less+heart; 2007-09-08 at 23:24.
Old 2007-09-08, 18:39   Link #169
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear-less+heart
So yeah he is pretty a guy thinking with his lower body instead of his brain, kind of like a guy in ral life would do.
^ And how about we avoid sweeping generalizations made from pure bias at best ? What you just said can be considered rather insulting. What basis do you have to make such claims ? Or were you simply trying to be 'insightful' without giving it much actual thought ?
Old 2007-09-08, 23:32   Link #170
Fear-less+heart

The only thing I was doing was argeeing with mistyken, about the comment he made about Makato. And I was added to that how Makoto is kind of like a guy in real life. The part about how some guys think with there lower part of there bodies instead of using there head.
Old 2007-09-09, 01:48   Link #171
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Keyword there is "some" Skyfall can smell bad wording from a mile away.

Something occurred to me while watching end of ep 10 where Makoto's name was spelled out. His name in kanji 誠 is the Mandarin letter for "honesty" but he's the most dishonest person around. I wonder if the writers choose that name on purpose.
Old 2007-09-09, 01:56   Link #172
hchuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post

Something occurred to me while watching end of ep 10 where Makoto's name was spelled out. His name in kanji 誠 is the Mandarin letter for "honesty" but he's the most dishonest person around. I wonder if the writers choose that name on purpose.
Huh... even if them did, Makoto is like such a generic name that any special meaning is lost.
Old 2007-09-09, 02:03   Link #173
hchuang

I wonder which character garners more hatred between Makoto and Suzaku@code geass?
Old 2007-09-09, 03:07   Link #174
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post

Exactly The original post does not contain the magical word 'some', making it seem it refers to every single male out there. Whether that was the original intent or not i can not tell, since i am not a mind reader. If you word yourself badly it is your mistake, not everyone else's for taking the post for what it is

Quote:
Ironic indeed Perhaps it refers to Makoto being honest about what he wants - the thing currently in front of him without thinking about anything else
Old 2007-09-09, 10:37   Link #175
Fear-less+heart

How can Makoto be honest about what he wants, and he is pretty much sleeping with anyone he wants. If thats what you call being honest about what he wants without thinking about anything else, then I have to say that he was thinking with the lower part of his body and not his head.
Old 2007-09-11, 01:21   Link #176
behindthesmile

Damn those japanese self help books hahahaha but makoto wont learn since theres a couple of dumb girls willing to spread their legs for him. until that ends which is usually a hard burn or a violent one where one of the girls gets insane and do something about it. kotonoha is the best one to go insane after all the naive quiet ones are the ones that usually breaks
Old 2007-09-11, 01:23   Link #177
behindthesmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear-less+heart View Post
How can Makoto be honest about what he wants, and he is pretty much sleeping with anyone he wants. If thats what you call being honest about what he wants without thinking about anything else, then I have to say that he was thinking with the lower part of his body and not his head.

welcome to the wonderfull world of hormonal teenage boys except makoto is one lucky bastard pardon my french. since he has a slew of hot chicks willing to sleep with him
Old 2007-09-11, 15:59   Link #178
GUTB_

Makoto is, without a shadow of a doubt, the worst eroge or anime harem lead I've seen. Takayuki has NOTHING on him.

He is a tool that mopes around and whines out the odd emote while girls throw themselves at him. The only times he remotely resembles a man is when he saves Kotonoha from bullies and when he takes the butcher knife in the stomach with some grace. At all other times he is a useless, graceless, helpless, brain-dead, irredeemable POS.
Old 2007-09-11, 23:53   Link #179
alphabetdude
SKBP KID

Well I wouldnt say worse , scumbag he is but he did break the getting " some '' rule which is a first in a harem series so I gotta give him props ( Yo dont flame me lol ) but he is a wimp and a major p *&$y . But then again in real life most guys who get some are like that , only difference is that they front well enough to look tough.

As for the top discussion yeah its weird how he gets girls as most leads do have a gimmick ( the nerdish guy , the delinquent guy , the guy from another world , etc ) but then again Makoto might be a new gimmick...........................................
( stunned face, then runs off to get a shotgun after that realization )
Old 2007-09-12, 17:11   Link #180
idofgrahf

Send a message via MSN to idofgrahf
He reminds me of Takayuki from KGNE, although compared to him Taka seems like a saint considering that he does care for his two friend/girl friends well fare and he did not go out with them for the purpose of getting laid the first day.

Makato, being the truth seeker that his name means, seeks only to get laid, laid and laid some more. Come on, I was his age once (damn that makes me sound old, which I'm not) and I wasn't soo hormonelly charged that I thought of getting laid ever single time I talked to a member of the opposit sex. Seriously, I'm suprised that Makaoto hasn't turned out to be a rapist yet.

Lacan/Grahf
Closed Thread