AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-16, 03:57   Link #1
cyth
Banned

Tonari no 801-chan

Tonari no 801-chan has been announced a little while ago for a 2009 broadcast, but today MOON PHASE came out with a report from TBS Anime Festa that Kyoto Animation of the Suzumiya Haruhi fame will be in charge of animation production.

Tonari no 801-chan was originally a 4-koma online blog manga, but then it got printed manga and "shoujo" re-imaginations, and also a live-action drama.

What can I say? Long live fujoshi?

EDIT: NOTE: It has since been reported that this show's production has been cancelled.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2008-09-03 at 19:32. Reason: Cancellation
Old 2008-08-16, 05:24   Link #2
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

LOL... being a self-admitting KyoAni fan, even I have to admit I can't imagine what path this anime can take!
Old 2008-08-16, 09:37   Link #3
Pachael
原作通り

Looking forward to this - I see zany fun abound.
Old 2008-08-16, 12:54   Link #4
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Is this a new way of working for KyoAni?

Start with serious series/game adaption, then 4koma, then serious again, then 4koma? x___x

Last edited by bahamut zero; 2008-08-16 at 13:18.
Old 2008-08-16, 12:57   Link #5
musouka

Finally KyoAni does something I'm excited about watching.
Old 2008-08-16, 13:15   Link #6
ZODDGUTS

Hopefully this is good didn't care much for Lucky Star it was decent though.
Old 2008-08-16, 13:21   Link #7
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Is KyoAni done rickrolling us Haruhi fans yet?

Though I'll probably end up watching this anyway.

Old 2008-08-16, 17:32   Link #8
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

The plot/idea sounds interesting, fujoshi FTW~

So KyoAni this is time is adapting the shoujo story or are they just going to animate the 4 koma? Probally have a slight->heavy feel of Lucky Star (depend what the animators decided to do)with romance in it. Ah...how perfect would it be.

I want Haruhi to be out before this, but what ever KyoAni feeds me, I'll eat it.
Old 2008-08-16, 19:10   Link #9
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

http://www.ohzora.co.jp/sp/801/top/

Sorry Haruhi fans once again, Yaoi-chan will be making their debut on TV screens in 2009.
Old 2008-08-16, 22:08   Link #10
Dansen
U-u-u-aua

I'll watch this, but I was hoping for more Haruhi, Full Metal Panic, or Key anime to be truthful
Old 2008-08-17, 04:06   Link #11
cyth
Banned

There's always that possibility of different production lines for simultaneous projects. However, I don't see any particular reason why they would want to produce more Haruhi anime anytime soon. As far as we know, the dust from the first season hasn't settled down yet. Let's also note that while there's a good chance that 801-chan will air in January, they still haven't announced a more definite time frame other than year 2009.
Old 2008-08-17, 14:01   Link #12
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Kyoani doing a story about Otaku's and Otaku fetishes? This all sounds rather familiar......
Old 2008-08-17, 14:26   Link #13
rg4619

Quote:
There's always that possibility of different production lines for simultaneous projects.
Production might not yet be at the level where they can air two series in a single season, but it's pretty obvious that they've increased the scale of simultaneous production to ride on their success.

KyoAni isn't just going to sit back and settle for one development at a time. There's too much money to be made.
Old 2008-08-17, 14:43   Link #14
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Kyoani doing a story about Otaku's and Otaku fetishes? This all sounds rather familiar......
The huge difference is that this story inherently has much more female appeal (not that Lucky Star doesn't, but no one can argue that it isn't aimed squarely at the guy crowd). In fact, the reason this shocks me is that it's the first KyoAni production I can think of that's anywhere even remotely close to being more female-oriented. In that sense, it's a pretty unexpected move from them IMO, but one that I welcome.
Old 2008-08-17, 14:54   Link #15
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Ugh. The next thing you know, KyoAni has thrown another funny dance into the OP/ED of the series, and a new round of self-made videos of nerds dancing will appear on the internet.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Old 2008-08-17, 15:25   Link #16
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post
Ugh. The next thing you know, KyoAni has thrown another funny dance into the OP/ED of the series, and a new round of self-made videos of nerds dancing will appear on the internet.
Oh come on, you totally know there's no need to even speculate. The dance opening is as much a part of the formula as anything. It would just be plain wrong not to have one at this point. None of the Japanese fans are going to let them get away with not having one now. All I can ponder is if it will at least be musically listenable to my ears this time around. Hare Hare Yukai was tolerable, but Motteke Sailor Fuku.....I just can't listen to that song at all anymore. It literally hurts my ears.

Me though? I'm just waiting for the part where we find out which characters Aya Hirano, Chihara Minori and Sugita Tomokazu are going to be playing. I peg Aya for the main character because.......yeah, Sugita Tomokazu as the boyfriend and Chihara Minori as either a quiet girl cashier at a doujin dealership or one of the main characters best friends. I'm locking in that call by the way. Final Answer.

Seriously, like I can't wait to know now.....

@Magus IX: While it is true that Yaoi is seen as a primarily female otaku domain, I'm pretty sure they'll throw in some stuff that will appeal to the male otaku as well. I can't say what, but I'm pretty sure that the main character will be moe to the nth degree (I mean it's a Kyoto Animation series after all) and she will probably have an assortment of equally moe girlfriends she hangs out with as well. I can see them making it work for both crowds rather easily actually.
Old 2008-08-17, 15:59   Link #17
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm pretty sure that the main character will be moe to the nth degree (I mean it's a Kyoto Animation series after all) and she will probably have an assortment of equally moe girlfriends she hangs out with as well.
God, I hope not.

It's not that I take issue with appeal to both sides of the equation--I'm sure 801-chan will be as cute as a button--but making this into yet another "fetishism" of fujoshi would leave a really bad taste in my mouth. It seems like whenever fujoshi are addressed in anime, the overwhelming response is to retool them to fit a male perspective. (This is part of the reason I loved Ogiue from Genshiken so much, because she was a character in her own right and the "moe" you felt from her was incidental to her larger purpose and arc)

Plus, skimming over the blog that started this phenomenon, what you're saying doesn't seem to be in keeping with the feel of the series. If there is anything that's in keeping with both KyoAni and 801-chan, its the fact that this will most likely be a "hardcore otaku" show, and less a "moe-moe show"--not that the two are mutually exclusive.
Old 2008-08-17, 16:05   Link #18
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well Kaioshin-sama may be right by reading this. The chick looks moe to me. Her monster side even looks moe.

I doubt that this will be hardcore otaku with nothing for the guys because it's got to sell over in R1 too by a distributor other than Media Blasters.
Old 2008-08-17, 16:12   Link #19
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Hardcore otaku doesn't mean nothing for the guys (after all, the narrator is the lady's otaku boyfriend)... but I agree, the Genshiken comparison is much more valid IMO than the Lucky Star comparison.
Old 2008-08-17, 16:15   Link #20
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well it has to become Lucky Star to sell over in R1 and for KyoAni to make a decent profit off it.

Tags
4-koma, fujoshi