AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-11, 15:46   Link #81
ommseti

Am I wrong, but wasn't Funimation originally somehow under Saban's thumb for a long time? I think that's where a lot of the issues with the DB treatment came around. When they finally freed themselves, things picked up a bit. I don't follow DB, so I'm not sure, but I think someone mentioned that to me once.

I think that releasing it at a higher disk count is going to be dangerous... Kodocha starts off strong, but around ep. 20-30, the frantic comedy tones down and gets replaced with shoujo angst for a while. Sales for that middle section will probably be pretty soft, and I don't know how damaging that will be to the series' performance as a whole.
ommseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 18:29   Link #82
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommseti
Am I wrong, but wasn't Funimation originally somehow under Saban's thumb for a long time? I think that's where a lot of the issues with the DB treatment came around. When they finally freed themselves, things picked up a bit. I don't follow DB, so I'm not sure, but I think someone mentioned that to me once.

I think that releasing it at a higher disk count is going to be dangerous... Kodocha starts off strong, but around ep. 20-30, the frantic comedy tones down and gets replaced with shoujo angst for a while. Sales for that middle section will probably be pretty soft, and I don't know how damaging that will be to the series' performance as a whole.
Maybe shoujo angst for ep. 20-30 because they did follow the manga at that time. Whenever there are episodes that do not rely on manga content Kodocha is particularly frantic.
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 18:43   Link #83
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommseti
No they were not under sabin because if they were DBZ would turn into a live-action series like how they did to power rangers.The issues were same with sailor moon if DIC didn't win sailor moon than sabin will have it and turn it into a live-action series.
BanditKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 20:17   Link #84
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
Not yay. It might get the Dragonball Z and GT treatment. You know, Bad voices, crappy music, episode edits by the truckload, etc.

But if it does get the Fruits Basket treatment, it will take about 6 to 10 years to finish dubbing and releasing the whole series on DVD. (That's if they don't have the Japanese version with subtitles.)

EDIT: Corrected spelling errors.
I do agree that we should be cautious about what we expect, but Funimation know full well that Kodocha is a fan favorite. No one else tried as hard as they did to get this series because it was too expensive or too difficult to license, but Funimation didn't give up. They will give this the otaku treatment because that is the primary audience for this series. DBZ and GT were their early days (and screwed up by other companies as well), they've proven they can do a good job now.

Who cares if it takes 6-10 years? (And it won't, that's an overestimate.) Before this announcement I thought it would take NEVER, as in not happen AT ALL. 10 years is a lot shorter than never.

To everyone else in this thread: Stop whining!!!!! AHHHHH! This is a joyous moment!

Yes, this series is long. No, everyone can't give us 7 eps per disc (but I wish they would like w/Fruit Basket), so just budget yourself if you really love this show. 3 episodes per disc? Hey this isn't Viz with Inu-Yasha.

EDIT- Now who the heck will they find that can speak as fast as Sana?
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 20:58   Link #85
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
To everyone else in this thread: Stop whining!!!!! AHHHHH! This is a joyous moment!

Yes, this series is long. No, everyone can't give us 7 eps per disc (but I wish they would like w/Fruit Basket), so just budget yourself if you really love this show. 3 episodes per disc? Hey this isn't Viz with Inu-Yasha.

EDIT- Now who the heck will they find that can speak as fast as Sana?
dude not everyone is whining

let me tell you about Fruit Basket.

at that time when Funi release Fruits Basket at 6 ep disc for $40
Bandai release 8/9 ep disc for $45.
There was a riot that Funi is charging so much that they have to lower it down to $30 to sell.They say that at many con that they will never do that again.

not bashing or anything just a little history about fruit basket

I too wonder who will voice Sana
Old 2004-04-11, 21:43   Link #86
method

What release from Bandai had that many episodes on one disc?

Edit: You seem to be thinking of Outlaw Star which was released in three volumes. Actually each volume comes with two discs .

Last edited by method; 2004-04-11 at 22:02.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 22:07   Link #87
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Quote:
Remember, some people just don't have that kinda cash lying around. Not saying that what they're doing is right, per se, but people have their reasons for doing the things they do. Same as anything else.
Yes, however I don;t like the good feeling of the thread of the announcement for a series that was "unlicensable" to be disrupted with "OH HAY GUYZ I HAVE HK MAN US R PRETTY SLOW I CAN DO WHAT I WANT REGARDLESS TOA NYONE ELSE JUST THOUGHT I'D SAY IM SHITTING ALL OVER THIS THANKS". It bugs me.

Quote:
They started in 2000 if not eariler but the only thing they focus is DBZ,hey can you blame them as I say that thing suck alot of money why brother with other show.Now that DBZ is gone they have to move to another show.
Huh?

Even now, Dragonball was around $33 AUS from DVD pacific (10-17 episodes per set), Most of their box sets round down to $9 USd a DVD, while media blasters, adv, and everyone else are still in the area of $13 per disc when it comes to boxsets. Also, all of their other titles have been cheaper MSRP wise than most of Bandai and ADV's stuff.

Quote:
Not yay. It might get the Dragonball Z and GT treatment. You know, Bad voices, crappy music, episode edits by the truckload, etc.

But if it does get the Fruits Basket treatment, it will take about 6 to 10 years to finish dubbing and releasing the whole series on DVD. (That's if they don't have the Japanese version with subtitles.)
Given that it's going to be out in one year, I doubt your theory on 6-10 years. Two possibly?

Quote:
Bandai release 8/9 ep disc for $45.
Thats because Bandai titles were older (I can only really think of outlaw star that got this treatment). It is possible people got the shits with FUNimation, but as it is, everything eventually comes down in price anyway.

Quote:
No they were not under sabin because if they were DBZ would turn into a live-action series like how they did to power rangers.The issues were same with sailor moon if DIC didn't win sailor moon than sabin will have it and turn it into a live-action series.
Long sentence.

FUNimation had Saban as a TV distributor, thats why 68 episodes were reduced to 53 due to Sabans strict editing policy.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 22:54   Link #88
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
Even now, Dragonball was around $33 AUS from DVD pacific (10-17 episodes per set), Most of their box sets round down to $9 USd a DVD, while media blasters, adv, and everyone else are still in the area of $13 per disc when it comes to boxsets. Also, all of their other titles have been cheaper MSRP wise than most of Bandai and ADV's stuff.
why are you quoting me when I'm not even talking about price?

Quote:
Thats because Bandai titles were older (I can only really think of outlaw star that got this treatment). It is possible people got the shits with FUNimation, but as it is, everything eventually comes down in price anyway.
wow I must be an old man

Outlaw Star (TV) (1998)
Silent Mobius(TV) (1998)
Saber Marionette J (TV)(1998)
Geneshaft (TV)? I sure about the other one but not this one

note I might miss some

Fruit Basket(2001)

wow three year different I guess anything older then 1998 should have this kind of disc release.well look on the bright side it not older than DB,DBZ or even DBGT.
Old 2004-04-11, 23:31   Link #89
method

However you look at it they are not the same as you stated above. The three titles you listed were special collections that came with 2 disc per volume and came out four years before fruits basket.
Old 2004-04-11, 23:35   Link #90
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by method
However you look at it they are not the same as you stated above. The three titles you listed were special collections that came with 2 disc per volume and came out four years before fruits basket.
they come with 2 disc.So that don't that mean they can't be cheap? (a little thought not ment as a debate but more doesn't more disc cost more than one disc? so shouldn't it cost more if if has more disc? end small thought)
The year is when they were make not when they were release as a dvd.
Why the heck do you think they lower the price to $30 for.Because they are not cheap.

Outlaw Star 2000-2001
Saber Marionette 2001
Brain Powered 2002
Geneshaft 2003

Fruit Basket 2002-2003 I think the price change was in the same year that the fourth volume was release

Edit: sorry for the kept edit again and again.I find mistake everytime I read it.
edit2:add release info

Last edited by BanditKing; 2004-04-11 at 23:59.
Old 2004-04-12, 00:48   Link #91
method

The difference of price could be attributed to the price difference between dvd-5s and dvd-9s or Funi felt that that was the price pointto recoup their investment.
Old 2004-04-12, 03:10   Link #92
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
Yes, however I don;t like the good feeling of the thread of the announcement for a series that was "unlicensable" to be disrupted with "OH HAY GUYZ I HAVE HK MAN US R PRETTY SLOW I CAN DO WHAT I WANT REGARDLESS TOA NYONE ELSE JUST THOUGHT I'D SAY IM SHITTING ALL OVER THIS THANKS". It bugs me.
Sure it may bug you. If there is really a problem with it I expect the mods to take action. No need to insult other people or condescend their level of intelligence. The guy who posted about his bootlegs did not use the kind of language you used at all, and I really don't find your AOL impersonation to be humorous either. I mean, it really does take the thread further away from its original intents and purposes. Besides, if there are positive opinions about the licensing there can also be negative ones. The opinions don't change the fact that the series was licensed, and it will be released according to Funi's will. If you are happy with it (as am I) that's good for you. If someone else is unhappy about it, they are also entitled to their opinion. No need to throw little hissy fits here and there.
Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 04:53   Link #93
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by method
The difference of price could be attributed to the price difference between dvd-5s and dvd-9s or Funi felt that that was the price pointto recoup their investment.
you can keep saying what you want but the fact is that they lost sale because of that and now that they lower the price everyone is happy.

let stop this debate before a lock in thread
Old 2004-04-12, 08:49   Link #94
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Rogers
he guy who posted about his bootlegs did not use the kind of language you used at all, and I really don't find your AOL impersonation to be humorous either.
Actually, I found it quite funny. It was an over exaturation. Not meant to be *exactly* what he said.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 11:33   Link #95
lgmcben

If I start watching Kodomo no Omocha from eps 52+?

I've watched eps 1-3 and somehow managed to get myself eps 53-102. I don't have eps 4-52. I heard that eps53-102 were featuring their high school life.

Question : How much will I get confused with the story? Does it greatly it affect the enjoyment if I skipped eps 4-52? (basically can't wait til I get those eps since eps 53-102 are in my hand now.)
lgmcben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 11:50   Link #96
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

You'd basically be skipping half the series, which is never a good thing.

There are plenty of plot points that you'd miss that could be of importance to the second half. So just wait until you get the rest of the first half, then watch the entire series marathon style!
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 17:05   Link #97
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmcben
I've watched eps 1-3 and somehow managed to get myself eps 53-102. I don't have eps 4-52. I heard that eps53-102 were featuring their high school life.

Question : How much will I get confused with the story? Does it greatly it affect the enjoyment if I skipped eps 4-52? (basically can't wait til I get those eps since eps 53-102 are in my hand now.)

You need to learn patience, its a virtue that will never do you wrong.

Heck, I've been to the point to where I had an ENTIRE series on my computer, but couldn't get Episode 2 no matter how much I tried.

I deleted the entire series after that.

Like I said, patience.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 20:30   Link #98
Karala

If you got them off the net then... just go find the rest... if you have a CD or something... I guess you could watch them if you want but you'll be missing out on a great deal of the series...
Karala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 04:17   Link #99
Aurora
Just visiting...

Send a message via AIM to Aurora
I guess other than the fact that you would miss the entire evolution of Sana and Hayama's relationship, as well as the evolution of everyone else's relationships while you are at it, you wouldn't miss a thing. Why don't you check out the manga instead of ruining the anime by watching it out of order?
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 23:04   Link #100
lgmcben

Thank you ^_^

Thank you very much ^_^

Since you all said the same then I'll check out the first half of the series first. I'm looking forward for manga version.

Could you tell me which manga volume will be equal in story of those in eps 1-52?
I'm going to check out those volumes and continue watching eps 53-102. ^_^

BTW I heard that there's only 10 volumes? 10 volumes = 102 eps... hmmm... ???

Thank you again ^____^
lgmcben is offline   Reply With Quote