Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2008-07-25, 13:37   Link #301
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Uuh... what? Did you even bother reading Vexx's post?

He said the methodology was wrong. You won't get anything out of warring the production and distribution of drugs and other illegal substances, and that is damn right. If you don't accept that, then you haven't been paying attention these past 50 years. Apathy has nothing to do with trying to find a better way to end with people's harmful (and ultimately useless) addictions.

If anything, there's huge profits involved in the illegality of certain substances. Just look at Colombia's cocaine mafia.
Which is why I've always thought we should stop heavy policing/punishment for hard drug addictions but instead utilize public knowledge campaigns (and not propaganda, actual science/statistics). I'm not entirely sure how well it would work, but it can't be much worse than what we currently have, which is a waste of money (and really hard on drug-users). A flat-out 'ban' through force will always be impossible, and if cigarettes are banned then expect taxes to increase for another useless struggle.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 14:56   Link #302
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The War on Drugs shows how simply making something popular but toxic illegitimate is a total failure (much like Prohibition was). It simply enriches the criminal class and provides a mechanism of unwarranted power to authoritarians.
Then again, legalising a forbidden substance makes organised crime look for another means to make money
the end of the prohibition made them go from dealing alcohol to cocaine and heroin

The Netherlands wouldn't have had the problem of XTC flooding the country if marihuana
had remained illegal
Old 2008-07-25, 15:51   Link #303
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Which is why I've always thought we should stop heavy policing/punishment for hard drug addictions but instead utilize public knowledge campaigns (and not propaganda, actual science/statistics). I'm not entirely sure how well it would work, but it can't be much worse than what we currently have, which is a waste of money (and really hard on drug-users).
Well, it could increase the consumer base, resulting in more overdoses, losses of productivity, and drug related crimes, since broke addicts will do anything for a fix - legalizing the drug won't change that.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 17:12   Link #304
Wervy
Cutely Pervy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, it could increase the consumer base, resulting in more overdoses, losses of productivity, and drug related crimes, since broke addicts will do anything for a fix - legalizing the drug won't change that.

It would cut down on the ammount of teens who get busted with a little pot and get their lives ruined for it. Seems like the legal system is filled with judges that have no qualms about throwing the book at some kid who make a mistake.

Personaly I dont think more education would be a bad thing. Do you honestly think someone knowing more about somthing that could kill them would lead to more deaths? Thats like saying birth control shouldnt be taught in schools because it would lead to more teen pregnancy. Ignorance in any form is dangerous.
Old 2008-07-25, 17:22   Link #305
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

He's discussing depenalising hard drugs, not pot.

And did I say anything against education?

Heck, I didn't even straight out speak against his point. I just pointed out it wasn't the clean cut "It can't be worse" case he claimed it to be.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 11:47   Link #306
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It could do that, but if an actual effort were put towards education and knowledge I'm not too sure the situation you described is very likely. I'm not averse to banning the use of addictive substances as additives to any product, as that has been pointed out to be a dishonest and misleading practice that traps people. Much like addictions trap people, but I don't think someone is going to be able to go to a drug store and buy some crack in the scenario I imagine. I would think that someone would have to be signed off and have a license, proving they have given the dangers at least some preponderance. The license must be easily attainable, but at the same time in order for one to possess one they must be willing to sign off on their understanding of the dangers.

As for weed, I complete agree with you, Wervy. Luckily, my state is making some steps in the right direction in terms of cannabis laws.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 14:59   Link #307
lethal_lunacy77
sarcastic asshole

Send a message via AIM to lethal_lunacy77
I really don't see what the big deal is....I smoke socially, and to relax. Im definitely not addicted though as I can go several months without a puff
lethal_lunacy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 15:31   Link #308
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal_lunacy77 View Post
I really don't see what the big deal is....I smoke socially, and to relax. Im definitely not addicted though as I can go several months without a puff
It's wonderful that you are not addicted. I wish all smokers could say the same. That's what the big deal is.
Old 2008-09-08, 07:01   Link #309
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Nicotine, caffeine, MMORPGs, anime.

I think that's the list of stuff i m addicted to. Although I m slowly losing my dependance on MMORPG and anime

Unfortunately, I m not strong willed enough to quit my smoke n coffee habit. Most smokers i knew are aware of the risk involved but you know, that never really stop em. To me, there's 2 type of smokers, those who smoke cause it's cool and those who smoke because life sucks (especially at work). Imho, it's most important to be polite whenever you need a puff. It's your choice to poison yourself but think of those around you.
Old 2008-09-08, 12:14   Link #310
JTox001

Just wanted to say that it's possible to quit even with a weak will.

I've been smoking for seven years, partly chain-smoking, and tried to quit about ... well, numerous times (so much I can't remember anymore ).
But the tries to give up became more frequent with the time and I finally stopped last year. But I need to add that I had to stay away from my friends for 2 weeks to finally manage because all of them are (still) smokers.

And now I can finally say that I'm not addicted anymore. Although I have been smoking one or two cigs while extremely gaming with my friends, I just don't have the urge to get cigarettes when I'm alone or not physically engaged.
And I'm veeery happy about that. I actually can't express how much better I feel.
JTox001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 04:03   Link #311
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
hmm
this news item just out today.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7635929.stm

Quote:
And other tobacco products will be expected to follow suit by 2010.

The Department of Health said the written warnings had been a success with research showing more than 90,000 smokers had been motivated to call the NHS quit line because of them.
Text did work for a while, but then i assume all you smokers became desensitised to the warnings on our packet labels, so now the UK is going one better.
Question to the smokers board is, will it make a diff visually seeing the damage you're inflicing on yourself, or will you just end up desensitised and not really care?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 08:06   Link #312
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
will you just end up desensitised and not really care?
My sister is a nurse. She once described assisting doctors on a man who was having a heart attack. She told me they put him on the table, shaved him, and then started cutting him open while discussing what they were going to eat after the surgery was done and how things were going with the family.

The point? People get used to anything after they see it enough times. It'll scare some off, but there won't be any long term dents.
Old 2008-09-28, 08:10   Link #313
Skullchukka
Letter from lost days ~

Reply to OP with a quote from some person who just died of lung cancer;

Never.. Start.. Smoking. If you want to look back to the day you started smoking when you are 50, and regret it to hell, then go ahead.
Skullchukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 08:20   Link #314
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
My sister is a nurse. She once described assisting doctors on a man who was having a heart attack. She told me they put him on the table, shaved him, and then started cutting him open while discussing what they were going to eat after the surgery was done and how things were going with the family.

The point? People get used to anything after they see it enough times. It'll scare some off, but there won't be any long term dents.
Somehow someone undertaking a job to deal with seeing parts of the body in those conditions, to a regular smoker that has nothing to do with medicine or even has any interest with the body, is kinda quite diffrent no?
Generally people react in different ways (no, not all become used to it, people can become traumatised) - hence i posed this question directly to those smokers on the board for personal replies

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 15:13   Link #315
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

I was thinking that putting a picture of a blackened lung on cigarette packets would decrease the amount of people smoking and increase the amount of people trying to quit cos obviously no one wants their lungs to look like that.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 17:59   Link #316
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Somehow someone undertaking a job to deal with seeing parts of the body in those conditions, to a regular smoker that has nothing to do with medicine or even has any interest with the body, is kinda quite diffrent no?
Generally people react in different ways (no, not all become used to it, people can become traumatised) - hence i posed this question directly to those smokers on the board for personal replies

Not that different no. It's the nature of visual trauma that either carries on or you get desensitized to it. I know many people who thought they could handle taking blood, or becoming an emergency responder that just couldn't even think about it without mental issues.

On the other hand, your average person isn't cutting people open, or taking their blood, or other medical procedures. They're just looking at pictures, printed on millions of packs. There will be an initial "ewww, gross", and then they'll keep right on doing what they do. Very few will quit because they've seen a graphic image, and it's not something staring at you all the time. Just turn the pack over. There's even an audience that *likes* those graphic images - the gross out factor can generate lots of free advertising buzz.

I just really don't think it will have any type of long term effect.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...5&postcount=42

^ Post made a few pages into this thread, which sums up my thoughts on the new labels.
Old 2008-09-28, 21:00   Link #317
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I've never smoked a cigarette in my life.

And thanks to that i'm 6 foot 5.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-29, 08:15   Link #318
Hadeel
everywhere u find me

no one likes smoking
my father smokes
i hope he stopped it
Hadeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-29, 09:49   Link #319
Gemstar
Banned

Smoking is bad, they should ban it. When people smoke they harm others around them. I do not support smoking.
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 01:03   Link #320
rile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstar View Post
Smoking is bad, they should ban it. When people smoke they harm others around them. I do not support smoking.

Thats statictic.All people who smoke dont hurt anyone.Infact most people who smoke are actually calmer than ussual.Statistics like that make smoking seem bad.Not that i smoke or anything,but yea i used to and hell i might start again soon to be compleatly honest.
rile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debate