AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-01, 19:15   Link #1141
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I don't know about Hyouge Mono, but Kawasaki is too much of a stock writer for me to imagine him as an "esteemed" writer.

After all, he's responsible for a bunch of Sakura Wars adaptations (bad), and he worked on a bunch of Bee Train stuff like Tsubasa (bad), El Cazador (bad), and Blade of the Immortal (super bad).

I'm sure he's competent, or E7AO ep8 would not have been entertaining, but I'm not going to give him too much credit!
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 19:31   Link #1142
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Watch Hyouge Mono and then say that.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 19:33   Link #1143
duckroll
綺羅星★!

But you like Un-Go's writing.
Old 2012-06-01, 19:41   Link #1144
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
But you like Un-Go's writing.
Yeah, because it was one of the best written series of 2011.

Agree to disagree, I suppose.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 19:52   Link #1145
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Un-Go is one of those shows which I felt was really over-written. I love a lot of the ideas expressed and the stories they tried to tell, but the dialogue ran on too much in an unnatural way. More like a stage play than TV drama, and it wasn't directed in that way so it didn't work in the shows favor imo.

Buuuuuut, to get things back on topic I'll throw up a few talking points about E7AO:

I'm impressed by the restrain the staff have shown in presenting the political aspects of the show. Like I mentioned weeks ago, this was one of my concerns with some of the scenes earlier in the series, because it could very easily turn into a sort of scenario where the entire world starts mobilizing their military forces to fight over a single mech just to create political drama in the show.

Instead they've held back on that completely, and the world moves at its own pace. The incident in Okinawa attracted a lot of attention initially, but it doesn't seem to be something the world is really focused on. This feels much more natural and believable, and the only contact that Generation Bleu has with other countries is either when they need to operate in the region, of if there are actual political interests that other superpowers have in that region. I like how a lot of it is just bureaucracy rather than forced combat just for the sake of having more action.
Old 2012-06-01, 20:34   Link #1146
miketyson

Well I caught up. The plot with "the Truth" reminds me more and more of what was going on in Consider Phlebas but I won't belabor the point. The rest of the story seems to do its own thing, and I find it interesting that the longer the show's gone on for the more obviously human-stuff-inspired the forms of the G-Monsters have been.

I wonder if they're interlopers from the world of ideas or something like that?

For whatever reason I'm liking it a lot overall when I watch it but it's just not quite holding my interest enough to like devour each episode as soon as it's available. The soundtrack remains consistently amazing to me, honestly for me it's really far, far above the original as far as background music goes.

Reading back a bit: that's a nice catch about Philadelphia 1752, Guardian Enzo. Very interesting thing to reference.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 20:36   Link #1147
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Naru or Fleur ? Damnit why do they need to make it so hard to choose ?!

"You two should Gattai!"

Kidding kidding, for now this is obviously just a tease (a damn good one nonetheless) but Ao and Fleur do have good on-screen chemistry; and by chemistry I mean they both have something in common so they could somewhat relate to each other, but most importantly their interaction is very natural and relaxed when around each other

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-06-01 at 20:49.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 20:36   Link #1148
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
I also liked the Kite Experiment reference and the Secrets being present. Though it opens a question of how long the Scub Coral have been showing up. Do Secrets only show up for Scub Coral or do they just show up randomly, period?
From what I get Secrets have appeared earlier if rarely. Then in the 20th century Scub Corals start appearing and the Secrets start nuking them ever since.

The US, British, France etc... known as the Allied Forces this world's NATO poured money in building Nirvash to counter the Secret threat...

From Generation Blue we learn that junk from Eureka and Renton's world appear inside the Scub as they are mining them.

Generation Bleu is the only one that knows how to stop Scub Coral growth. They also have what seems to be Nirvash TheEnd in their basement. As far as we know TheEnd was destroyed sacrificing itself. Unless the Scub recreated it for the Humans and their benefit.

I come to conclude Humans were helpless to stop the Secret until help came. In the form of Eureka and possibly Renton. Who gave the basis for IFO technology without the need for Corallian skeletons that the LFOs did.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 21:37   Link #1149
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Lol Elena hit the bulls-eye with the elopement. President had a nice plan. Lol Gazelle and the others pulling odd jobs, that was a great way to let them do the mission. Assuming Renton is Ao's father, i wonder why he hates him? Does Ao even know who is father is?
Old 2012-06-01, 21:41   Link #1150
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Assuming Renton is Ao's father, i wonder why he hates him? Does Ao even know who is father is?
Well, Ao probably took it as a parental abandonment since he wasn't around which is why he hates Renton.

Last edited by Silvance; 2012-06-01 at 22:12.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 22:03   Link #1151
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Lol Elena hit the bulls-eye with the elopement. President had a nice plan. Lol Gazelle and the others pulling odd jobs, that was a great way to let them do the mission. Assuming Renton is Ao's father, i wonder why he hates him? Does Ao even know who is father is?
We're assuming Renton is his father. And while he does look exactly like him (minus the hair), we still don't know that for certain. We also don't know if he has any information about him. But, I could see being fairly angry at the person that didn't exist in your life. (Plus blaming him for losing his Mother, as well)

But I really doubt he's going to be showing up, except in some end-of-series explanation or the confirmed OVA, if his father is Renton. And that ignores the huge "what version?" question that's still out there.

Though original Renton is more than likely not going to make an appearance. He'd be a little too GAR for this series. Haha
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 22:11   Link #1152
Destined_Fate

Well who else could have impregnated Eureka to make a child that looks like Renten 2.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
You're misunderstanding me. I'm not implying I expected him to go out and search for her at any cost, even after being forbidden and put under constant watch. My confusion comes from how he doesn't even spare a thought to it afterwards; he doesn't seem the least bit worried about Naru, even though she's been taken by the guy who just attacked their base. It's weird.

You just said he's matured
No point in worrying about it when there are important matters to deal with. Truth is going to show up again eventually than he can worry about kicking his/her ass to get info on Naru. Until than there's no point in him angsting since it's a waste of time and would make people hate him.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 22:14   Link #1153
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
We're assuming Renton is his father. And while he does look exactly like him (minus the hair), we still don't know that for certain. We also don't know if he has any information about him. But, I could see being fairly angry at the person that didn't exist in your life. (Plus blaming him for losing his Mother, as well)

But I really doubt he's going to be showing up, except in some end-of-series explanation or the confirmed OVA, if his father is Renton. And that ignores the huge "what version?" question that's still out there.

Though original Renton is more than likely not going to make an appearance. He'd be a little too GAR for this series. Haha
Actually, the Word of God confirmed it already.

Don't worry. I am sure Ao will surpass his father in GAR near the end.
orpheus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 23:08   Link #1154
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Well who else could have impregnated Eureka to make a child that looks like Renten 2.0?

No point in worrying about it when there are important matters to deal with. Truth is going to show up again eventually than he can worry about kicking his/her ass to get info on Naru. Until than there's no point in him angsting since it's a waste of time and would make people hate him.
I'd...think the abduction of someone he deeply cares about would be an important matter to him? At least, surely more important than one upping the company president and trying to rub something in his face, which seemed to be pretty prominent in Ao's considerations. And you're implying Ao even has reason to believe she'll still be alive by the possible next time Truth might show up. If he does, I must have missed it.

It's true, there's no "point" to him worrying about it, but unless he's a complete sociopath, that shouldn't stop him from doing so, even a little. Especially since he's just a 12 year old boy, not a battle-hardened, emotionally-repressed warrior who could easily appear so nonplussed by such matters. But we don't get even a "gee, I really hope my close personal friend isn't being violently assaulted right now." Make people hate him? Who, characters in the show or people in the audience who dislike angst? (only one would be an actual concern for him) Somehow I don't think Ivica and co would begrudge him fearing for his kidnapped friend.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 23:12   Link #1155
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

He was trying to steal the Nirvash to go find her in the beginning, but that didn't pan out. What's he supposed to do, mope constantly? He can't do anything about it, so he's got his mind on the job, then he got distracted by other things.
Old 2012-06-01, 23:41   Link #1156
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
He was trying to steal the Nirvash to go find her in the beginning, but that didn't pan out. What's he supposed to do, mope constantly? He can't do anything about it, so he's got his mind on the job, then he got distracted by other things.
In most series, the MC would go and mope for a few episodes. This isn't most series, haha.
Old 2012-06-01, 23:45   Link #1157
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
I'd...think the abduction of someone he deeply cares about would be an important matter to him? At least, surely more important than one upping the company president and trying to rub something in his face, which seemed to be pretty prominent in Ao's considerations. And you're implying Ao even has reason to believe she'll still be alive by the possible next time Truth might show up. If he does, I must have missed it.

It's true, there's no "point" to him worrying about it, but unless he's a complete sociopath, that shouldn't stop him from doing so, even a little. Especially since he's just a 12 year old boy, not a battle-hardened, emotionally-repressed warrior who could easily appear so nonplussed by such matters. But we don't get even a "gee, I really hope my close personal friend isn't being violently assaulted right now." Make people hate him? Who, characters in the show or people in the audience who dislike angst? (only one would be an actual concern for him) Somehow I don't think Ivica and co would begrudge him fearing for his kidnapped friend.
Naru is important but Ao isn't the character that's going to whine about it when the world needs him to deal with Secrets and stuff. All he has to do is keep fighting secrets and Truth will eventually come to him. So there's no point in hi angsting over Naru when he has to do is keep doing what he's doing to get a lead on her.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 23:46   Link #1158
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
...Again, he's 12, not a highly professional soldier I would expect to always put the job first. The fact that there is no worrying at all once he's scolded tugs a little at my suspension of disbelief, that's all.

Well, you could be right, but I guess we'll have to wait til next episode to see if he spared her even another thought since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Naru is important but Ao isn't the character that's going to whine about it when the world needs him to deal with Secrets and stuff. All he has to do is keep fighting secrets and Truth will eventually come to him. So there's no point in hi angsting over Naru when he has to do is keep doing what he's doing to get a lead on her.
I hope you're right about his thought process on that.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 23:56   Link #1159
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Exactly.

Ao didn't forget Naru, neither he did forget to care about her.
But as things stand he's helpless to do anything besides hoping she's safe.
Ao tried to steal Nirvash and search for Naru.
He was stopped immediately and was at the brink of getting a major punishment.
Then the President made sure to show he's being watched so there's no point in trying to sneak out.

So what can Ao do?
Nothing, for now.
Ao had no choice but to put his thoughts about Naru's predicament into the back of his mind.
And focus on his duties at Generation Bleu
In a way that's like running away from the guilt yet also a far better choice than constantly moping about Naru's disappearance.
So until Ao finds something about Truth or Naru, he will be focused on destroying G-Monsters and living his life at Generation Bleu.
And of course that means he has fun, like everyone else.
Because he apparently didn't let his thoughts about Naru to bring him down.

Conclusion: No, Ao didn't magically forget about Naru. He just let it sink into the back of his mind while focusing on things he can actually do. And yes, he was also caught up in the moment. Seriously, cut the boy some slack. He just went through a rather traumatic experience. Ao needs to enjoy himself and relax.
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 23:57   Link #1160
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
Actually, the Word of God confirmed it already.

Don't worry. I am sure Ao will surpass his father in GAR near the end.
Nice to know they confirmed it. Saves having to put modifiers on the obvious, lol. But I'm still definitely in the camp these are "copies" of the originals.

As for Ao's GAR-potential. Remember, in episode 50 of E7 TV:

Spoiler for Moment of GAR:

I expect Ao to drop some massive GAR by series end. He's got the potential. I just don't think he's going to top his father in that department. If he does, it'll be insanely awesome, but the stakes will need to be really high to accomplish that. I'm not sure if we're going to get a "the World's going to End" story this time.

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen