AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-16, 11:28   Link #501
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Another perfect episode. It seems this show is as great as it's cracked up to be after all. Serious moments concerning Lawrence's past. Wouldn't mind seeing more of those. More Horo greatness. I've already accepted her as my goddess and the rest of you should as well (pagan religions have always been more interesting than monotheistic ones anyways ). Now to sit and wait patiently for the next installment in the saga of Lawrence and Horo.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 11:29   Link #502
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
This adventure will look upon horo trying to be more human...and lawrence trying to be more...err...wolf...
Well it's already come up once. With Horo's suggestion on the beard growing .
Quote:
Dear god I hope he doesn't start wandering around naked >_<
May we all hope the same. Just not the kind of imagery you want to think about .
Old 2008-01-16, 11:32   Link #503
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Finished episode 2, and i am still loving the series. It is slice of life, yet with interesting enough characters to keep it lively and interesting. Interactions between Horo and Lawrence are fun to watch and offer some food for thought as well besides being amusing on the surface. I am also pleased to find out this will have at least some sense of a continuous plot. I have nothing against episodic, but a connected storyline is something i tend to enjoy more. It also makes me wonder what the guy who approached them about the coins actually wants ... seems too much of a trouble to go through if his goal is to simply rob Lawrence. Could it be (unlikely) connected to Horo in some way ?

Seems like when not in a state of shock, Lawrence actually does get "uncomfortable" with Horo waltzing around undressed ... i am sure this will lead to some more interesting situations in the future as well

Funny things aside, it was interesting to watch the argument between Horo and him as well ... she said some inconsiderate things, yet seemed truly regretful when Lawrence turned out to be upset about it. (Her voice dropped to barely audible ... along with her ears ^^). She had a good point when she said the two of them are living in different worlds ... lets see if they manage to bridge that gap during their journey.

Overall ? I love what i see. From teh new season this would definitely be my first pick. It just hits the right spot
Old 2008-01-16, 13:11   Link #504
Khaos

Arrow

I really like the anime, but it appears to me, that in the anime, they made Horo less distinctive (hope the word fits in what I try to say) in her emotions and behaviour than in the manga.

Spoiler for Manga:

I love to see Horo animated (that tail!!!), but her character in the manga seems deeper and more unique to me.
Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 14:17   Link #505
james84562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
I really like the anime, but it appears to me, that in the anime, they made Horo less distinctive (hope the word fits in what I try to say) in her emotions and behaviour than in the manga.

Spoiler for Manga:

I love to see Horo animated (that tail!!!), but her character in the manga seems deeper and more unique to me.
If you like the manga, you'll definitely love the novel more
the manga and anime has already cut out lots of stuff like interactions bewtween lawrence and horo, and more emotions of horo

but anyways, the anime is great
james84562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 14:30   Link #506
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post

Freebie before I go to bed
nice! love to have that for my sig!

*takes it*

Asking for forgiveness is easier then asking for permission.

Old 2008-01-16, 14:50   Link #507
Ultenth

Loved ep 2,
Spoiler for For Episode 2:
I definitely think this could be one of the hits of this season, lots of kawaii, but seemingly lots of potential for future depth in the story and characters as well.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 15:06   Link #508
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
the fixation of "apples" in the ending song is probably related to greek/norse myths.

Apples was the source of immortality, the goddess Gaia/Iðunn was the personification of healing/fertility.

On the mortal world this was represented by the Tree of Life, which the Golden apples of Immortality grew from.

although in norse myth, Iðunn was the one who gave the apples, and no mention of a "tree of life" as in greek mythology mention this exactly, but she serves the same purpose as a Gaia/Tree of life in one.

hmm....maybe.....maybe...Horo will find an apple to give to Lawrence, so that he will stay with her forever?

food for thought....
You're overthinking it, I fear, lol. Horo just loves apples. Doubt the novels make much out of it, but if they do...well, your theory might have some use much later. For now, though, apples are just a gag.
Old 2008-01-16, 15:27   Link #509
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth View Post
Loved ep 2,
Spoiler for For Episode 2:
I definitely think this could be one of the hits of this season, lots of kawaii, but seemingly lots of potential for future depth in the story and characters as well.
Have to agree there. Her expression's really add to everything. A really nice blush when being comforted and the sadness when realizing she went a bit far when talking about attacks. Horo's whole character really adds so much and makes it one of the best the winter season has delivered.
Old 2008-01-16, 15:49   Link #510
4Tran

As I expected, this was an excellent episode. The dialogue is top notch, and the setting is being presented very nicely. I think that the Lawrence-Horo duo is favorite duo since Rakushun-Yoko in Twelve Kingdoms.
Old 2008-01-16, 16:08   Link #511
mandarb916

btw,
anyone who's read the light novels, do you know why Horo uses Oiran-kotoba? (basically, the dialect used by the highest class...sex workers, for lack of a better term, during the edo period..)
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 16:23   Link #512
Mentar
Banned

I feel like a bit of a spoilsport, but I can't quite fit in with the cheers of the other viewers... while I really loved episode 1, I've got to admit that I wasn't quite as impressed with episode 2.

Why?

Because unlike ep1, almost nothing of consequence happened. Most of the time was spent in dialogue between Horo and Lawrence, but... sorry, I don't see it having quite the depth most folks seem to attribute to it. In fact, it felt fairly repetitive in several parts.

For Horo, Lawrence seems young and inexperienced (3-4 times in ep2, 1-2 times in ep1)
For Horo, Lawrence is a good man who will grow (2-3 times)
etc...

To be honest, the time spent to interesting new things ratio was unsatisfactory to me in ep2. I want them to hurry up some, please. For example the dialogue between Chloe and Lawrence from ep1 was spot on - almost nothing wasted, still interesting, showing character facets, nicely condensed. Could we please return to this quality in ep3?

I'm still hopeful that this will turn into a great series, but at least MY confidence was a little bit shaken in ep2.

*shrug* Just my genuine minority opinion.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 16:36   Link #513
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Haro is so cool, it will be fun seeing a god/wolf-spirit falling in-love with a human..... if that happens....

episode 2 show how they interact with each other which was very light and mutual... until the end when some of the secrets flowed out, i would expect lawrence to be a wolf/wolf-spirit hater after all those incidents in the forest but i guess he is a very matured and forgiving person, episode 2 is very slice of live, so far this series is nice and lighthearted for a super natural anime which is a good change of pace, hope it dont get too crazy and wierd like most super natural animes
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 16:40   Link #514
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I feel like a bit of a spoilsport, but I can't quite fit in with the cheers of the other viewers... while I really loved episode 1, I've got to admit that I wasn't quite as impressed with episode 2.

Why?

Because unlike ep1, almost nothing of consequence happened. Most of the time was spent in dialogue between Horo and Lawrence, but... sorry, I don't see it having quite the depth most folks seem to attribute to it. In fact, it felt fairly repetitive in several parts.
One of the biggest concerns when the production was announced in Japan was the difficulty that this series would have going from novels to anime because of the content. Most of the bits and pieces I read, and from what others have also said, are very dialogue heavy...add to that, I think it was mentioned from the beginning that this series is a fantasy series with no swords or wizardry.

That said, I think your observations are spot on, in particular, if you were hoping for something huge to happen. However, whether they were successful or not being a different story, I think they did try quite a bit to draw out the personalities of Horo and Lawrence. Horo's wisdom from how she interacted with Zerin when suddenly asked to reveal her face, the bit about the importance of lies, etc. Lawrence's somewhat indecisive character, his traumatic past, etc.

While there will be some interesting plot progression, it's basically a story about a travelling salesman so it wouldn't be surprising to see a lot more of ep2 type episodes...which personally I really enjoyed not necessarily in content, but in CV performance
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 17:04   Link #515
tabun
rawr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
One of the biggest concerns when the production was announced in Japan was the difficulty that this series would have going from novels to anime because of the content. Most of the bits and pieces I read, and from what others have also said, are very dialogue heavy...add to that, I think it was mentioned from the beginning that this series is a fantasy series with no swords or wizardry.

That said, I think your observations are spot on, in particular, if you were hoping for something huge to happen. However, whether they were successful or not being a different story, I think they did try quite a bit to draw out the personalities of Horo and Lawrence. Horo's wisdom from how she interacted with Zerin when suddenly asked to reveal her face, the bit about the importance of lies, etc. Lawrence's somewhat indecisive character, his traumatic past, etc.

While there will be some interesting plot progression, it's basically a story about a travelling salesman so it wouldn't be surprising to see a lot more of ep2 type episodes...which personally I really enjoyed not necessarily in content, but in CV performance
And yet, I like the slow pace and dialogue heaviness of the show very much! Not much may have happened, but the interaction between the two is nice to watch. It somehow soothes and intrigues me at the same time.
Old 2008-01-16, 17:13   Link #516
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I'm still hopeful that this will turn into a great series, but at least MY confidence was a little bit shaken in ep2.

*shrug* Just my genuine minority opinion.
I'm in the minority as well. I think the reason this episode doesn't have that bam like episode 1 is because of the absence of Chloe. I admit I'm worried also, but the length of the show gives me hope and helps me to retain my confidence that it will have a compact and flowing storyline that leads to somewhere.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 17:19   Link #517
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
It also makes me wonder what the guy who approached them about the coins actually wants ... seems too much of a trouble to go through if his goal is to simply rob Lawrence.
Middle ages version of the Nigerian scammer, I think. It's not at all an uncommon ploy, to tell someone about a "sure" deal that'll net great profits, "but alas, I'll have to pass it up because I can't afford the initial investment..." convince the unlucky sap to pay some amount towards getting it started, then disappear with the money. If stories I've read have any basis in fact, that's something traders have to constantly be on guard against. Anyone telling you about some sort of way to get rich quick, but they need money from you to get it going, is probably not on the level.

Lawrence's choice in cargo, in general, shows that he's probably smart enough to not be tricked by that. He carries products that are sure to sell: salt, furs, etc. They won't bring in as much money as certain higher-risk items, but he can also guarantee that they won't go bad enroute, and that he WILL be able to sell them, wherever he may end up.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 17:19   Link #518
Ultenth

This show is pretty well classified as slice of life, and it's very much about the interactions between characters, so expect a lot of "boring" character development and dialogue. Personally I enjoy character drama's and slice of life shows a lot, so even if the plot isn't fast paced with a specific purpose I'll probably still enjoy this show.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 17:29   Link #519
Random Wanderer

Should we be worried about that "if it's eaten, burnt, or mashed and returned to the earth I might disappear" comment Horo made? If she's actually bound to this bunch of wheat and ONLY this bunch now, if it's destroyed would she... you know... die?
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 17:30   Link #520
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Can understand some of the concerns even if they haven't bothered me at all. Just something about the interactions with the characters that keeps it interesting.

Have gotten things started with the situation surrounding the money prospect. With lies surrounding the whole thing should be interesting what comes from it. May be connected to that big business Chloe was planning. So anyone missing her may end up seeing her again.

Anyways, any good series is bound to have a variety of opinions.

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen