AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2009-04-10, 19:14   Link #1461
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

It's a combination of decent to above-average production values and moe, in my opinion.

They've perfected their ability to appeal to their fanbase.

Ah, congratulations K-On! for getting a subforum!
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 19:51   Link #1462
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

It's true KyoAni has perfected their ability to appeal to their fanbase, but I think people underestimate how well they are doing it, and how difficult it is. It's not just good production values and moe, or other studios would be able to reproduce KyoAni's success.

For one thing, moe is not that easy. Lots of shows are moe. KyoAni seems to be able to present it in a way that really clicks.

Second, those good production values are of a particular style that is smooth and realistic, with a particular level of detail. Not dissimilar to IG's style, however, for sure. Both those studios must also spend a lot to keep their quality and consistency up so high.

Third, people often forget the humor aspect altogether, and I think that is a key. These shows are just deeply amusing, and in a particular, rather subtle way. They show the characters' weaknesses in a way that makes you recognize them as human, as well as adorable. I think we find Yui amusing in part because there is a bit of her in most of us. At least, there is in me, lol.

The classic humor of these shows uses deft animation of small things -- expressions, movements -- to help us laugh with and at extremely moe characters. The small jokes -- like Mio's difficulty in saying Yui's name without an honorific -- are animated so imaginatively. KyoAni seems to me to be able to time the movements very well.

And I don't think it's true that all KyoAni adaptations become this popular. Suzumiya Haruhi, Lucky Star, and this seem to be more virally popular than Kanon and Clannad and Air, and certainly than Munto.

I personally don't love a show because it's KyoAni. I happen to love these KyoAni shows. If other people could make this kind of show -- and Yamakan and his band of KyoAni refugees did it with Kannagi -- I would love those shows just as much.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 19:58   Link #1463
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

"Moe is inherently subjective", right?

I mean, I don't even like Mio at all yet I love Ritsu to death. She strikes my moe chords.

This, I feel, is the entire problem with rating characters against each other, especially in flame-wars-waiting-to-happen like SaiMoe.

Though, judging by how popular this show is becoming, it looks like KyoAni has indeed perfected the "fundamental elements of turning people on".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The small jokes -- like Mio's difficulty in saying Yui's name without an honorific -- are animated so imaginatively.
This isn't a joke. It's the most overused thing this show has done to date.

Quote:
And I don't think it's true that all KyoAni adaptations become this popular. Suzumiya Haruhi, Lucky Star, and this seem to be more virally popular than Kanon and Clannad and Air, and certainly than Munto.
Munto isn't an adaptation... and although Air isn't that popular, Clannad is and Kanon certainly was.

Quote:
I personally don't love a show because it's KyoAni. I happen to love these KyoAni shows. If other people could make this kind of show -- and Yamakan and his band of KyoAni refugees did it with Kannagi -- I would love those shows just as much.
Personally, I could never get into Kannagi, perhaps because it's the type of show I normally avoid like the plague. Blecch...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 20:11   Link #1464
shakeofinfinity
Learning the Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiro View Post
claiming this one. Thanks!
it is exactly the same as the one i made and i put mine earlier...
though mine focus more on the face
Old 2009-04-10, 20:14   Link #1465
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Old 2009-04-10, 20:32   Link #1466
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
All KyoAni adaptations inevitably become this popular.

I could seriously do an entire study on WHY... it'd be fascinating.
Munto bombed. As for K-on, even by normal standards this thread grew crazy fast. Toradora was the top new show out of last year on this site and that didn't get to 1k posts before the third episode (Then again, it didn't get really popular until the second half anyway).
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 20:33   Link #1467
Shadow Moth
庭師は紺碧の空

Send a message via AIM to Shadow Moth
._.

Can that really be considered a spoiler?
I think Ritsu is win but that doesn't spoil anything...

Anyway. . .
Where do you guys get your pics?
Shadow Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 20:38   Link #1468
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Munto bombed. As for K-on, even by normal standards this thread grew crazy fast. Toradora was the top new show out of last year on this site and that didn't get to 1k posts before the third episode (Then again, it didn't get really popular until the second half anyway).
KyoAni adaptations, typhon. Adaptations.

Munto is their (bad) original work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Moth View Post
Anyway. . .
Where do you guys get your pics?
Likely Danbooru or other such sites.

Personally, I get my pics here.
Old 2009-04-10, 20:42   Link #1469
Shadow Moth
庭師は紺碧の空

Send a message via AIM to Shadow Moth
Yeah, I know Danbooru. I thought maybe...
. . .
. . .

. _____ ,.
Shadow Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 21:09   Link #1470
Peanutbutter

I'm still not moved on this series though.

There's nothing shown thus far that will place my opinion on it on par or even better than Haruhi/Lucky Star. Kyoani may be a fan favourite of animes right now, I acknowledge that. Somehow they seem to have that extra oomph in their works.

But an anime that will be remembered and talked about for years to come? I don't think so. It's good but not great at the moment.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 21:31   Link #1471
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
I'm still not moved on this series though.

There's nothing shown thus far that will place my opinion on it on par or even better than Haruhi/Lucky Star. Kyoani may be a fan favourite of animes right now, I acknowledge that. Somehow they seem to have that extra oomph in their works.

But an anime that will be remembered and talked about for years to come? I don't think so. It's good but not great at the moment.
I think this is better than Lucky Star, myself, but then again I felt that LS was full of unnecessary pandering.

Certainly, this won't be the "next Haruhi", but it might be the "next Azumanga".

To each his own, of course.
Old 2009-04-10, 21:36   Link #1472
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
I doubt that's what this anime's trying to be.

And I agree with Kaisos. For now, I think this is better than Lucky Star.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 21:56   Link #1473
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Certainly, this won't be the "next Haruhi", but it might be the "next Azumanga".
No, Hyakko was the next Azumanga.

K-ON! has a semblance of a plot. I don't know why anyone would compare this to Lucky Star or Haruhi. It's a completely different concept. I think a comparison to Genshiken or even Doujin Work might be more appropriate.
It's about some girls who set out to do something, while having fun along the way.
LS was about some girls who didn't do much of anything at all. Haruhi was about following the whims of some crazy genki girl and that's about it (the anime so far, the light novels are another matter).

Surely it's not the most unique thing to come around, it's like the Kannagi or the Toradora of this season. Maybe it won't be carved in stone and set in the base of Mount Everest for posterity, but it's a fun ride so enjoy it.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 21:59   Link #1474
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Personally i hated Haruhi so i think most anime are better, but thats my personal opinion.

I haven't seen much Lucky Star, but i dont think it should be considered the next anything. K-On is K-On, nothing more, nothing less.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 22:00   Link #1475
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
K-ON! has a semblance of a plot. I don't know why anyone would compare this to Lucky Star or Haruhi.
"Four cute girls do cute things that are cute" being one of the main premises is why this gets compared to Lucky Star.

You are right, though. Having some kind of a plot, and plot progression, is fairly unique in the moe genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Personally i hated Haruhi so i think most anime are better, but thats my personal opinion..
I have this theory that most people who hate Haruhi kind of missed the point somewhere along the line.

Sure, Haruhi isn't the best anime ever, but it's a lot better than a lot of the crap out there. Even if you didn't like it, you have to admit that...
Old 2009-04-11, 01:56   Link #1476
animekritik

Quote:
"Four cute girls do cute things that are cute" being one of the main premises is why this gets compared to Lucky Star.

You are right, though. Having some kind of a plot, and plot progression, is fairly unique in the moe genre.

I have this theory that most people who hate Haruhi kind of missed the point somewhere along the line.

Sure, Haruhi isn't the best anime ever, but it's a lot better than a lot of the crap out there. Even if you didn't like it, you have to admit that...
Ritsu Faction shall overcome all in the end...

KyoAni's success has something to do with de-focusing from "events" and re-focusing on "characters". In a sense, it's like taking anime away from extrovert, hectic Tokyo and bringing it to introvert, emotional Kyoto.
Old 2009-04-11, 05:31   Link #1477
Unregistered00

From all the animes this season, this is the only one that I'm looking forward to each week. Hell. If I can only watch one anime this season this would be it. But that's not the case of course
Unregistered00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 06:31   Link #1478
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

The way I see it, KyoAni has a knack for getting its audience emotionally involved with the story and characters. The art, animation, bgm, music, etc... are all part of a grand tapestry to make the viewer empathise with what's going on the screen.

This is particularly obvious with their "cry now and cry hard" scenes. It's a piece of art really.

This is one of the reasons why I still rank FMP!-TSR as their best work ever, because it made people really empathise with the two main leads.

Cheers.
Old 2009-04-11, 06:46   Link #1479
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Alright! Finally we got a sub forum.

time to post away at Mio's thread.
Old 2009-04-11, 07:05   Link #1480
Grif

Just watched episode 2. I am a big fan of Yui :P.

So far its been pretty good fun, Some good moments.
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, light music, seinen