AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-01-19, 10:02   Link #32621
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Mayor: Christie aides tied Sandy funds to project
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...01-18-23-35-59

Russian President Putin links gays to pedophiles
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/russi...ays-pedophiles

Pennsylvania judge strikes down state's voter ID law
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0G1F620140117
Old 2014-01-21, 02:41   Link #32622
killer3000ad

Meanwhile in Kiev.
Ukraine: Demonstrators rally against new law curbing protests
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Fools! Everyone knows you don't use testudo formation when the enemy has firepot throwers! Loose formation next time!
YouTube
Oh gosh! The barbarians have a trebuchet!
YouTube
Advance of the portable assault toilets.
Spoiler:

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2014-01-21 at 03:00.
Old 2014-01-21, 02:52   Link #32623
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Russian President Putin links gays to pedophiles
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/russi...ays-pedophiles
To quote Kevin Bacon in JFK (1991): You don't know shit 'cause you've never been fucked in the ass!

edit: those demonstrations in Ukraine are a real feast for maniacs of Medieval times.
Old 2014-01-21, 04:20   Link #32624
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I know it's no joking matter or anything, but excuse me if I find street protesters armed with Medieval knight armor and Trebuchets just plain awesome.

Forget the molotovs and pipes and crowbars, GRAB THY SWORD KINSMEN AND DON THEE ARMOR! WE SALLY FORTH FOR A SIEGE!
Old 2014-01-21, 05:02   Link #32625
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

That is admittedly pretty epic. Also protesting against anti-protest laws is amusing for the sheer irony of the things.
Old 2014-01-21, 05:10   Link #32626
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The serfs are raising.
Old 2014-01-21, 05:20   Link #32627
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The serfs are raising.
Welcome to the 2014 version of the Jacquerie, lol.
Old 2014-01-21, 05:46   Link #32628
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I know it's no joking matter or anything, but excuse me if I find street protesters armed with Medieval knight armor and Trebuchets just plain awesome.

Forget the molotovs and pipes and crowbars, GRAB THY SWORD KINSMEN AND DON THEE ARMOR! WE SALLY FORTH FOR A SIEGE!
*in Monty Python-sque voice*

But...but we only have pitchforks and scythes and ploughs, good sire!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-01-21, 05:49   Link #32629
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

And gas mask. Yeah, there were couple of dudes that were wearing those. Totally ruins the image.
Old 2014-01-21, 05:57   Link #32630
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

I just Googled, and apparently the reason for the armour is because Ukraine has a rather large community of Medieval Reenactors.
The only reason they wouldn't bring out real swords, is probably because that would justify being shot by the police.
Old 2014-01-21, 06:00   Link #32631
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post

And the police will adopt Roman tactics

Quote:
YouTube
Advance of the portable assault toilets.
Gods that's just so Metal Slug-ish
Old 2014-01-21, 06:27   Link #32632
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I don't know if the church bells are ringing, but they were ringing during the police assault on the barricades on December 11, and news sources everywhere (one example) made much of the fact that they rang, in the Medieval era, during the times when the city was under siege and the citizens were called to mobilize.

Now the Medieval metaphor is complete.

The next few days will be very interesting. Either Ukraine will fall into dictatorship and despair, or the people will wrestle freedom from thugs and brutes, one way or another.

Mind you, in the meantime the Nashibots are scouring the web providing hilariously transparent comments accusing "the West" and "NGOs" of engineering a popular uprising, bringing up all sorts of bad things about the EU, and so on.
Old 2014-01-21, 09:19   Link #32633
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

China eases credit squeeze with lots of cash and surprising transparency
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0K0DV20140121

U.S. military says readying plans for Olympic security assistance
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0K00N20140121
Old 2014-01-21, 09:31   Link #32634
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:

Then obey my orders minions!

YouTube
Old 2014-01-21, 10:21   Link #32635
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Blessed's characterization of Augustus in the BBC's version of I, Claudius was just spectacular. He would pivot from playing with his grandchildren to murderous plotting in the blink of an eye. He more than held his own with Derek Jacobi's brilliant Claudius and Siān Phillips's treacherous Livia.
Old 2014-01-21, 10:24   Link #32636
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I don't know if the church bells are ringing, but they were ringing during the police assault on the barricades on December 11, and news sources everywhere (one example) made much of the fact that they rang, in the Medieval era, during the times when the city was under siege and the citizens were called to mobilize.

Now the Medieval metaphor is complete.

The next few days will be very interesting. Either Ukraine will fall into dictatorship and despair, or the people will wrestle freedom from thugs and brutes, one way or another.

Mind you, in the meantime the Nashibots are scouring the web providing hilariously transparent comments accusing "the West" and "NGOs" of engineering a popular uprising, bringing up all sorts of bad things about the EU, and so on.
Don't know about that...isn't eastern Ukraine actually pro-Russia and only the western part wants greater merger with EU?
Old 2014-01-21, 22:54   Link #32637
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Don't know about that...isn't eastern Ukraine actually pro-Russia and only the western part wants greater merger with EU?
The East is indeed highly pro-Russia, with dominant numbers of ethnic Russians. They are the power base of the current regime, and has most of the industrial capacity of Ukraine.

But their loyalty to a pro-Russian Ukrainian regime comes more from ethnic fear and division, economic factors and patronage, and distrust of the West, than ideological inspiration. It's the same kind of fear that provokes vast sections of the Egyptian populace to allow military dictatorship to be restored, against all that the Arab Spring had achieved. The government-staged rally in Kiev some time ago was proof of that -- a terrible little show with rally participants who openly admitted to being paid, unlike the sheer passion and democratic spirit of the pro-EU, or I guess I should say now, nationalist protestors, who are just as prepared to disbelieve the opposition leaders as they are to despise Yanukovych.

Moreover, Kiev, at the very heart of the country, was the center of the Orange Revolution, and is the center of Euromaidan. Kiev is solidly Westward-looking. Kiev is sick of Yanukovych. A Kiev that is the capital of a pro-Russia Ukraine is a Kiev oppressed, beaten, and subdued.
Old 2014-01-22, 01:05   Link #32638
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It is probably also fairly given that the Kremlin has a (heavy?) hand in this.
Old 2014-01-22, 01:57   Link #32639
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
The East is indeed highly pro-Russia, with dominant numbers of ethnic Russians. They are the power base of the current regime, and has most of the industrial capacity of Ukraine.

But their loyalty to a pro-Russian Ukrainian regime comes more from ethnic fear and division, economic factors and patronage, and distrust of the West, than ideological inspiration. It's the same kind of fear that provokes vast sections of the Egyptian populace to allow military dictatorship to be restored, against all that the Arab Spring had achieved. The government-staged rally in Kiev some time ago was proof of that -- a terrible little show with rally participants who openly admitted to being paid, unlike the sheer passion and democratic spirit of the pro-EU, or I guess I should say now, nationalist protestors, who are just as prepared to disbelieve the opposition leaders as they are to despise Yanukovych.

Moreover, Kiev, at the very heart of the country, was the center of the Orange Revolution, and is the center of Euromaidan. Kiev is solidly Westward-looking. Kiev is sick of Yanukovych. A Kiev that is the capital of a pro-Russia Ukraine is a Kiev oppressed, beaten, and subdued.
Westward-looking does not automatically mean better though. Sound a bit like the struggle in Thailand where half the country wants one thing while the other half wants another.

Alleged MFA trespasser entered Singapore illegally on Jan 17

A little background, this mentally ill lady managed to drive through immigrations without checks by tailgating another car, alarm was raised too late and she managed to leave the checkpoint.
She stayed here for 2 days, tailgated a taxi for 2 hours, the driver was adviced to drive to police HQ for help, which he did. The officers helping did not reconise her car, despite the ongoing search for it and she got away again. She then managed to get into the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are by tailgating again and drove around inside for 10 minutes before the security managed to corner her.

Great job Home Team
Old 2014-01-22, 03:19   Link #32640
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Ukraine's current president should make sure that he doesn't end up like Louis XVI.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international