AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 91 41.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 77 35.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 14.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.91%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.45%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.45%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-27, 00:21   Link #201
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I think at this point people might be wishing that KyoAni will announce out of thin air of Haruhi season 2/ concurrent development of Haruhi with Kanon so season1-extension occurs thanks to Super Director Suzumiya's insistence ... 1hr extended marathon/extended broadcast might not be out of the question if this kind of craze keeps mushrooming.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-04-27, 00:30   Link #202
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-san
BTW, did someone say those were being translated by someone? Who's doing it?
It's in this very forum... in this very subforum... and listed in a thread cleverly hidden under "The Suzumiya Haruhi Novels Translation Thread".

Sarcasm... I know... but still ^^:;

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
I think at this point people might be wishing that KyoAni will announce out of thin air of Haruhi season 2/ concurrent development of Haruhi with Kanon so season1-extension occurs thanks to Super Director Suzumiya's insistence ... 1hr extended marathon/extended broadcast might not be out of the question if this kind of craze keeps mushrooming.
I'm not sure KyoAni has the resources to do that... honestly. In order to make that work they'd have to outsource a pretty hefty chunk of the production of one show or another. And that would drop the quality level below KyoAni standards. Which... is a big chunk of the appeal of both shows.

I also don't know that they have the money for that sort of a project either. But it's going to be really interesting to see where they go from here.
Old 2006-04-27, 00:44   Link #203
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

I highly doubt that there would be a second season released so soon. Right now, I'd bet they're focusing on Kanon 2006. I also read that they're trying to make it one story as opposed to the previous release, which was segmented to each girl's story. Maybe after Kanon, they might do that. But I'm still hoping for a CLANNAD TV done by KyoAni. ^^

Also, will they still have enough material (manga) for a second season?
Old 2006-04-27, 00:50   Link #204
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Well if the speculation that they'll be using only Vol. 1 as the main plot focus that was garnered from across the web by Sushi-Y is true then they have to make a season 2 at some point. The other 'long story' (as opposed to the short one-off stories like the one this episode was based on) is Vol. 4 which is really a story head-and-shoulders above Vol. 1's plot. Since I remember reading somewhere that the producers at Kyo-ani are great fans of the novels, I don't think they'll abandon Vol.4 to the 'unanimated-dustbin' at all. I expect a season 2 to materialize at some point.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-27, 00:50   Link #205
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

They would not refer to the manga since the manga by this point is no further than the anime. Novel wise there's more than enough material to squeeze OVA+season2+theatrical release even. There will be 8 volumes to work with (not sure if that's gonna be it) and that's aplenty. KyoAni has done adoptions before but a 100% full content adoption of Haruhi within a seasonal constraint is not in their interest nor would it do justice to the depth of the storyline.

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-04-27, 00:53   Link #206
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
They would not refer to the manga since the manga by this point is no further than the anime. Novel wise there's more than enough material to squeeze OVA+season2+theatrical release even. There will be 8 volumes to work with (not sure if that's gonna be it) and that's aplenty.
Also from what I've seen of the manga, its not done as well... Kyon comes off in the manga as almost having the personality of a not-too-good harem lead and not as brilliantly a sarcastic individual he is in the novels/anime.

Well if the usual pace of a vol of novel every couple of months as per usual for light novels is maintained, then Kyo-ani'll probably have quite a bit of material to draw upon when they return to Haruhi after their Kanon commitment.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-27, 00:56   Link #207
Adigard

That still leaves the question of... Can KyoAni split their focus and produce such... well... flagship titles at the same time and not have one or the other suffer?

I don't really think they can, but I only know a little bit about the studio. I'm pretty darn certain we'll eventually see a second season of Haruhi... and I can imagine them making a slew of drama CD's (although Kyon's VA will be busy with H&C season 2... which might not matter for drama CD's) to tide the fans over for a while.

The manga is still in volume 1, chapter 8 was the last I saw. But why base the show on the manga, when you've got the novels up to volume 8 (soon to be published). Also, the novels are still serialized in Sneaker right? So there is the potential for endless additional chapters, as long as the writer is willing.
Old 2006-04-27, 00:57   Link #208
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Kanon commitment will keep Kyoani busy this summer. Kanon airs this fall/winter, spanning no less than 24 weeks and every anime watcher is braced against that blizzard. At earliest we will not see Haruhi2 until perhaps late this year if not next year at this time (depending on how things go)... if we do see that at all.

Drama CD makes alot of sense. Those things might be doable in the meantime. At the moment KyoAni's hands are very tied down to its numerous commitments and they are probabilly working O/T to fill the demands. Drama CD might come even before Haruhi1 ends broadcast.

Old 2006-04-27, 01:06   Link #209
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
Sorry Kamui, I was refering to the novel's intended audience as being high school teenagers. I say that because these are light novels. The anime itself, in theory, was initially intended for fans of the novels... but KyoAni has done a wonderful job of tailoring it to the existing otaku fanbase. There are countless little nuances to this show that thrills the heart of many long-term anime fans (myself included). The show does a wonderful job of presenting itself and catering to those fans.
16-18 year olds aren't teenagers? If you meant younger teenagers, the novels are the same demographic as the anime. They were serialized in a seinen magazine, which is more or less the age groups I mentioned. Naturally, those age cutoffs are completely arbitrary, so they can be expected to appeal to younger and older people as well. I would still argue that they're targeted at otaku, but it's not really important.

Quote:
I'm going to disagree with this. When Haruhi dresses Mikuru in the cheerleader outfit, and then checks Kyon's reaction with her hair in a ponytail... I just can't see Haruhi saying "I'm going to dress this pretty girl that Kyon likes looking at, and parade her around in front of him (without a bra).... because I'm jealous of how Kyon looks at her." I think Haruhi is jealous when Kyon pays more attention to Mikuru than her... but I'll be honest... I haven't really nailed down Haruhi's response to Kyon yet. It's obvious she highly values him at times (and dismisses his opinion as being worthless quite a lot more often).
Haruhi doesn't think about how her actions will effect other people. It's likely she never even considered that kyon would be interested in Mikuru wearing a cheerleader outfit, especially when she was wearing one too. Really, how else could one explain her reaction when she noticed kyon?

Quote:
Also, in the previous episode (time wise that was a month ago so a LOT could have happened) when Haruhi asked Kyon if he's marry her if she was "unfit"... Kyon didn't have any of the standard responses. Personally, faced with that offer in that situation... I don't think I'd reply with a "That's not my name" (Not his exact reply). We know from his narratives that Kyon likes looking at Mikuru, and feels very protective of her. But I don't really see it going to the romantic lenghts people have started to suggest. I think in a world without Haruhi that would very quickly happen... but... ehh.
This happened after Mikuru was already walking away. Kyon commented that he didnt' know what to say to her, and that she looked depressed "Like a student who just failed her entrance exams". Then a few seconds later, he thought about Mikuru calling him kyon too. It's not like it was the first thing he thought of. That he didn't immediatly blush, while turning away and saying something stereotypical just shows he's a bit deeper than many male leads.
Old 2006-04-27, 01:24   Link #210
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Sorry, I meant novels. Wasn't paying attention when I was typing. So they have enough material for a second season, great news then. Personally, I still think they'd start late this year, and it showing sometime mid-next year, if they choose to do so.

Anyway, here's to hoping someone translates the Drama CD's.
Old 2006-04-27, 01:48   Link #211
Adigard

I do believe we're going to have to agree to disagree on this matter Kamui4356. I'm planning on changing my opinion after we see the photoshoot in ep3 (next episode for those who aren't watching the next ep. previews), and then refine it even further a short time after that. I don't think Haruhi is dressing Mikuru up and playing with her hair in order to make Haruhi herself look better. I think she's just doing it because, as she herself said "It's more fun that way."

I'm aware, doubly so from this episode, how important Kyon is to Haruhi (at times). But for the same reason I don't agree with the current dere archetype for Haruhi, I also don't think the whole "lovesick" approach works with Haruhi. I think she feels Kyon is important (at times).

Spoiler for Next few episodes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
That he didn't immediatly blush, while turning away and saying something stereotypical just shows he's a bit deeper than many male leads.
I'm still waiting for concrete proof (In this thread? We'll need concrete proof from ep0, 1, 2, or 7) that Kyon wants to be romantically involved with Mikuru. I think Kyon wants to protect Mikuru from Haruhi (and Itsuki... who he doesn't seem to like).

I won't argue at all that I think he's deeper than 99% of the male leads. He's up there with Archer for male character "of the year", and will those two will likely have a pretty damn firm hold on that title to the end of the year (until H&C Season 2 adds some fresh competition).
Old 2006-04-27, 01:52   Link #212
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
....Most (almost all?) shows fall apart near the end. The 14 ep run promises a more solid and coherent storyline... but I'm going to refrain from those judgements until it's finished the full run....
I agree completely. When I say this could be the greatest anime ever (which I do), I always say "if they keep up the quality they've maintained through four episodes." But based on what they've done so far, this is the best anime I've seen. In my opinion and for my taste.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-04-27, 01:58   Link #213
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Spoiler for Next few episodes:

I'm still waiting for concrete proof (In this thread? We'll need concrete proof from ep0, 1, 2, or 7) that Kyon wants to be romantically involved with Mikuru. I think Kyon wants to protect Mikuru from Haruhi (and Itsuki... who he doesn't seem to like).

I won't argue at all that I think he's deeper than 99% of the male leads. He's up there with Archer for male character "of the year", and will those two will likely have a pretty damn firm hold on that title to the end of the year (until H&C Season 2 adds some fresh competition).
(as a joke, we need Saimoe for male lead)

Spoiler:

I agree with the sentiment on the potential this anime might have on this generation of anime otakus. Perhap the defining piece of work of this decade in anime might be this one if things play out well.

Old 2006-04-27, 02:28   Link #214
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I agree completely. When I say this could be the greatest anime ever (which I do), I always say "if they keep up the quality they've maintained through four episodes." But based on what they've done so far, this is the best anime I've seen. In my opinion and for my taste.
I agree... and I would be much higher in my praise for KyoAni and there chances of making this an insanely high quality piece of art throughout... but the cardboard cutout background characters in this episode sorta disappointed me. For the first time in the show we have totally static backgrounds without something happening to let us know the backdrops aren't static. Now, the backgrounds have had more characters, and have been outside... Which is a bit of a first for this show. Previously they've limited their scene selections to mostly indoor scenes (not entirely) where having things happening in the background is easy.

I'm not really counting the quality of ep0. It was either high quality that was filtered out to appear to be student film quality, or they cut corners because they knew what the final image would look like.

Several scenes in this episode had those dreaded cardboard cutouts. It's important to note there was no dip in animation quality, music, or story/plot to accompany a minor complaint... but KyoAni still has a ways to go. I'm optimistic they'll pull that high quality throughout, but we'll have to play it by ear. KyoAni threw in several small details that really shined in this episode (the wilted flowers I keep mentioning are a really powerful minor thing that shows exacting attention to detail).

Also... thanks for agreeing on my earlier post panzerfan. I haven't read the novels (beyond what has been translated), so I'm basing a lot of my long-term story opinions on what others have said vs. what I've seen in the episodes thus far, the novel translations, and other non-AS resources. Learning that I'm not totally out in left field is always a good thing, doubly so when my thoughts more or less seem to mesh up with the novels ^^
Old 2006-04-27, 02:41   Link #215
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Just a mindless piece of fun I thought of that relates to the end of episode 4/7... if the SOS-dan did join in the soccer competition (Although Haruhi suggested soccer and football Kyon said he was trying to think of which sport needed less players so... soccer!) who would play in what position?

Haruhi - This is a no brainer. Captain. Out and out Striker. Probably would be the cause of many offsides. There's this part in the novels when Kyon says if Haruhi was playing soccer her position would always be behind the opposing teams last line of defenders and possibly even behind the goalkeeper

Kyon - Since Haruhi subconsciously relies on him... perhaps Playmaker? His job would be to work as hard as possible to feed Haruhi the ball.

Mikuru - Er... where would she do the least damage?

Yuki - Since she hardly even moves... Goalkeeper. One of her 'spells' would make the SOS-dan goalposts an impenetrable wall plus with a light kick (analogous to her throw in the baseball game) she could score goals from across the field and give Chilavert a run for his money

Itsuki - I'm going to put him as Defender for kicks. No real reason.

Now to make up the numbers... Tsuruya-san, Kunikida, Taniguchi, err.. Kyon's sister... darn.. need 2 more people.. just assume Haruhi drafts whoever happens to be standing around though...
Spoiler for novel 5:

Formation-wise, to better their chances of winning, I'm thinking 4-5-1 because with Mikuru and Kyon's sis on the field their going to need numbers at the back to defend successfully and rely on long lobs to Haruhi or Yuki-sniping to get the goals. Though with Haruhi in charge she'd probably just push for an all-out offense.

Old 2006-04-27, 05:15   Link #216
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

*pops in to check on the discussion*

Quote:
I do believe we're going to have to agree to disagree on this matter Kamui4356. I'm planning on changing my opinion after we see the photoshoot in ep3 (next episode for those who aren't watching the next ep. previews), and then refine it even further a short time after that.
Er, I'm not really sure what the arguement is about, but Haruhi changed her mind about tying Mikuru's hair into a ponytail because of Kyon (although that's probably obvious), and you won't know why until the end of Yuutsu (which, in anime terms,will probably be the final episode if they go with a Yuutsu (vol.1) ending). This also means that you won't see any reaction from Haruhi before that (remember, time-line wise, the baseball tournament happened after all the Yuutsu episodes (Ⅰ - Ⅵ). So you probably won't see any Haruhi x Kyon chemistry during Mikuru's ero photo shoot next episode either (which is a Yuutsu episode (Ⅲ)).

If you think about it, Haruhi's "well, if you're alright with that"+*smile* in response to Kyon at the end of the baseball tournament there is actually the hard-earned reward after all the pains(?) and bloodshed(?) that Kyon had to go through in vol.1. ^^;

Quote:
Do you want concrete proof from the anime? Or what I can tell you right now based on my knowledge from 7 (soon to be 8) volumes of the novel?

For the heck of it, here's an explanation, but if you choose to find out on your own, then don't click on the spoiler at all.
Spoiler for Kyon's feeling towards Mikuru+α:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malange
Well if the speculation that they'll be using only Vol. 1 as the main plot focus that was garnered from across the web by Sushi-Y is true then they have to make a season 2 at some point. The other 'long story' (as opposed to the short one-off stories like the one this episode was based on) is Vol. 4 which is really a story head-and-shoulders above Vol. 1's plot. Since I remember reading somewhere that the producers at Kyo-ani are great fans of the novels, I don't think they'll abandon Vol.4 to the 'unanimated-dustbin' at all. I expect a season 2 to materialize at some point.
I don't know if they're going to do vol.4 or not, but when they're devoting almost half of the anime (6 out of 14 episodes) to volume 1 (YuutsuⅠ- Ⅵ), it's safe to say that they'll do vol.1 until the very end (including "that" ending). What you said in the speculation thread is right: it would be a waste if vol.1's ending wasn't used as a series finale, it couldn't be more fitting.

Then again, episodes like this baseball competition would probably make that feel kinda anti-climatic since all of these events happened AFTER that oh-so dramatic ending. ^^;

I'm praying that they'll do vol.4 even though half the episodes have already been devoted to vol.1, and that's not just the Yuki-fan in me talking: like I said in the speculation thread, even though vol.1 is a great volume on its own, it's really nothing more than an "introduction" to the real actions that occurs in the later volumes (the "serious actions" ones being vol.4 and 7).
Spoiler for examples for the "actions":

If the anime stopped at volume 1, it would be like watching a great movie that cuts off at the end of prologue.

Then again, we only have 14 episodes, even if Kyoani chooses to only take a small bite, I wouldn't blame them. It's better to have one main story with good pacing than to have two main stories rushed.

Season 2...? With Kanon coming up in fall, even if this is a possibility, we won't be seeing it anytime soon.

Maybe they'll pull a Shana and announce a movie after the end of Haruhi. And the contents in it will be vol.4. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Yuki - Since she hardly even moves... Goalkeeper. One of her 'spells' would make the SOS-dan goalposts an impenetrable wall plus with a light kick (analogous to her throw in the baseball game) she could score goals from across the field and give Chilavert a run for his money
Yuki makes a horrible goalkeeper, she doesn't touch anything out of her arms' reach! ^^;

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-04-27 at 06:40.
Old 2006-04-27, 07:40   Link #217
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Just a mindless piece of fun I thought of that relates to the end of episode 4/7... if the SOS-dan did join in the soccer competition (Although Haruhi suggested soccer and football Kyon said he was trying to think of which sport needed less players so... soccer!) who would play in what position?

Haruhi - This is a no brainer. Captain. Out and out Striker. Probably would be the cause of many offsides. There's this part in the novels when Kyon says if Haruhi was playing soccer her position would always be behind the opposing teams last line of defenders and possibly even behind the goalkeeper

Kyon - Since Haruhi subconsciously relies on him... perhaps Playmaker? His job would be to work as hard as possible to feed Haruhi the ball.

Mikuru - Er... where would she do the least damage?

Itsuki - I'm going to put him as Defender for kicks. No real reason.

Now to make up the numbers... Tsuruya-san, Kunikida, Taniguchi, err.. Kyon's sister... darn.. need 2 more people.. just assume Haruhi drafts whoever happens to be standing around though...
Spoiler for novel 5:

Formation-wise, to better their chances of winning, I'm thinking 4-5-1 because with Mikuru and Kyon's sis on the field their going to need numbers at the back to defend successfully and rely on long lobs to Haruhi or Yuki-sniping to get the goals. Though with Haruhi in charge she'd probably just push for an all-out offense.

Heathen. it's called Football.

what the hell is a "playmaker"? You mean a Midfielder? probably Centre-forward in my opinion, to bring up the support for Haruhi.

As for Mikuru....er....i think i'lll put her on a left-back, just tuck her, out of sight out of mind. ^^
Old 2006-04-27, 08:24   Link #218
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
Brits... Yes we all know England invented football...

btw, I think Kyon would make a good goalkeeper. Remember the scene where he dived to catch the baseball? Seems like he's got good handling skills.
Old 2006-04-27, 08:37   Link #219
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO

what the hell is a "playmaker"? You mean a Midfielder? probably Centre-forward in my opinion, to bring up the support for Haruhi.

As for Mikuru....er....i think i'lll put her on a left-back, just tuck her, out of sight out of mind. ^^
Generally yes a playmaker is regarded as a creative midfielder. Recent examples in RL would be say Riquelme, Zidane and Ronaldinho I guess.
Old 2006-04-27, 09:22   Link #220
Kezane

Maybe I'm a little slow in noticing this, but I realized that Kyon and Itsuki were playing that little baseball toy game thing even before Haruhi had entered with her idea. Were they perhaps playing in anticipation of her idea? I'm not sure about the random abilities of the current people in the SOS Brigade, but could one of them be foretelling the future? Similarly, at the end, they're playing yet another board game (though I can't tell what it is this time). Just some random speculation/guessing. Of course, I've yet to read the novels.
Closed Thread