AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: How often do you drop a series?
Never! No Retreat, No Surrender 9 7.20%
Rarely, unless the anime gives me actual pain 35 28.00%
I try not to 24 19.20%
Sometimes 19 15.20%
Often 16 12.80%
I don't care if it's the first or last episode, I'll drop it 17 13.60%
Always, anime sucks and I'm only here to emo about it 2 1.60%
I hate polls! They try to simplify everything in a manner too shallow for my hipster needs 3 2.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-12, 18:55   Link #1
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Dropping series; how often does that happen?

Just wondering, I'd like to know of all the series you manage to pick up, how many of it gets finished? What would be more likely to cause you to jump ship? What makes you more likely to keep going.

Personally, I finish less than half the anime I pick up. Sometimes I actually enjoy them a little, but I don't see a need to keep watching. It's also due to my tendency to just look at everything with mild interest and forget them later. I also rarely drop series past the halfway point. I feel that's a sunk cost thing sinking in with a few exceptions, such as High School of the Dead; I just got plain turned off in one of the events near the end. But stuff like Lucky Star, I don't hate; I just don't feel like I want to sit through it all.

I'll leave it at that for a while, and here's a pole for entertainment's sake. Don't take it seriously, of course.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 19:04   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
In terms of following a series I am going to keep it in the realm of "ongoing series" for now. For me before a season begins I look over what is being offered and first sort them out into a "now way in the world am I going to watch that" section, a "hrm ... dunno about that, let's give an ep a try for the halibut", and a "I am definitely going to give that series a trial watch".

So - in the last area of "definitely going to give a series a trial watch" I very, very rarely drop one of them. Usually if it does happen it seems to be not because it was other than I though it would be but because I lose interest.

In the middle area I periodically have a huge surprise (like Bodacious Space Pirates this season or The Idolm@ster last summer) but more often than not it is dropped - sometimes because I am not interested and sometimes because I do not want to actively follow the series even if I were a little interested. The latter usually get relegated to being watched all in a row when I get around to gathering all the eps sometime after it finishes airing.
Old 2012-03-12, 19:05   Link #3
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

I drop about half the series I start following these days. I generally try to go back and finish them at some point in time, though.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 19:06   Link #4
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

"Never! No Retreat, No Surrender"

I've dropped a few in my anime watching career, however with a drop rate of around 1%, I have completed a ton of anime that brought me pain. And most of the anime I dropped were shounen-ai/yaoi trash. As a straight male, the appeal just isn't there. Winter Cicada and Ai no Kusabi...Ah, the memories.
Old 2012-03-12, 19:07   Link #5
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
What? No "lemoncurry" option in the poll?
Old 2012-03-12, 19:12   Link #6
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Unless it's really, really bad, I won't drop it. You never know what's going to happen. Everyone who dropped because of Shu's Refusal of the Call in the beginning of Guilty Crown is losing out now since the Return has been awesome.
Old 2012-03-12, 19:31   Link #7
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Lately, I tend to drop a lot of anime even if I was actually interested in it.

Hourou Musuko, Ano Hana, and lots of other which I never get to see the ending even though they were really good and interesting anime.

Though, sometimes I managed to pick up and finish several of them. HanaIro was one such lucky case.

I wonder why myself. Maybe my passion has weakened.
Old 2012-03-12, 19:34   Link #8
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I personally try not too. I find it hard to give up on things and believe strongly in second and even third chances. This only applies to shows I really think I have a good chance of liking if there's just a few tweeks introduced though and doesn't really apply to shows that I'm pretty sure I'm never going to like. Those I will drop after only a few episodes.

A recent problem I've encountered though is a lot of shows have a habit of late at teasing at future potential that maybe a quarter of them actually deliver on. Thus I think having a staff member that I have faith in is the best gauge for whether I want to try and weather the storm of bad episodes early on. Really though I feel no show worth it's salt should have to rely on matters of pure faith and should just come out swinging with a strong start and solid middle. If they can't do that then it's kind of hard to have much to look forward too.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 19:53   Link #9
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Out of 167 shows I dropped 2 (Ayakashi and Clannad AS). It's very easy to keep going with a show if you have a reason to watch it, may that be a certain character, a setting or anything else, even if it doesn't show up that often.

Then again if someone has a large amount of dropped shows it's mostly because they start watching series that are clearly out of their comfort zone.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 20:27   Link #10
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I'm one of those people that rarely drops anything and will sit through almost everything when started. I may not always follow the show in a weekly basis for various reason (mostly constricted by the lack of time more than anything), but if the show has something to offer, then I'll finish it. There are instances where I've picked up something from years back and finally finished it. That said, shows like Queens Blade, or Qwaser (or most ecchi-series these days for that matter) gave me the equivalence of physical pain for the sheer pretense of trying to tell a story. I would have enjoyed it more if those shows would drop the pretense and simply sell the breast milk for what it is. *cough* Anyway, I'm not confident I'll ever be able to sit through those two. And this is coming from someone who actually has a pretty thick skin for low-brow fanservice.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 20:31   Link #11
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Out of 167 shows I dropped 2 (Ayakashi and Clannad AS). It's very easy to keep going with a show if you have a reason to watch it, may that be a certain character, a setting or anything else, even if it doesn't show up that often.

Then again if someone has a large amount of dropped shows it's mostly because they start watching series that are clearly out of their comfort zone.
Ohhh... numbers! Let's see...

Completed: 344 & Dropped: 35

I have a drop rate of 10% and have watched a lot of anime overs the years.
Old 2012-03-12, 20:32   Link #12
Eater of All
NOM

If I start something, I very very rarely drop it. Half the time when I do, it is only because the subs I've been following has stopped, or because there is no foreseeable end in sight (such as Beelzebub). These events give me an excuse to drop stuff that are already bad (Fairy Tail was great though, but... I just feel like it should've ended at 52).

This helps alot for shows like Persona 4, which bored me in the beginning but picked up afterwards.
Old 2012-03-12, 20:33   Link #13
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Completed: too many to count
Dropped: 1 or 2....

Yep.
Old 2012-03-12, 20:36   Link #14
mecharobot

I drop very, very rarely and only TV anime. The anime must really be devoid of anything to look forward to for me to do it. The shows I dropped are the big three endless battle shows and a few comedies that either got tiresome or never amused me to begin with.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 20:58   Link #15
Jellal
Anime Critic

Basically, I pick up what's worth my time.
Fishing for anime is hard these days, considering the maturity level intended for audiences.
I usually give it a chance between the 1st - 5th episode the latest, to see what its about.

I picked up Guilty Crown considering it had good reviews, and wow.
At first, the concept did appeal to me, and it slowly went down hill.
Surprisingly around episode 15 it jumped.

In all, I'd say I've dropped 5 out of the all the anime I've ever seen.
Most of the time, my hunch is right and it turns out being something phenomenal.

From childhood, I remember Tenchi Muyo being awesome.
For kicks, I ended up watching all of it last summer - tbh I struggled through it.
It's just one of those things.
Jellal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 21:12   Link #16
word sux

If I can't get any interest in the series after the first or second episode then I drop it. But its pretty rare, once I make it past that point I always see it through till the end.

the only one that I went back and actually finished after dropping it in the first episode was freezing... I should have stuck with my original decision, what a god awful anime
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 21:13   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I selected "Often" though in fact, I drop a few series *every* season. I usually have at least one series that is "for sure keep" and several series on "probationary watch a few episodes". If I don't look forward to it after 2-3 episodes, its dropped. Occasionally, I'll pick up a series later because someone I know who has similar tastes recommend it. But since I've been watching regularly for almost 10 years now, I've gotten pretty particular about how I'm going to spend my anime time.

I do tend to go ahead and archive a series I *might* be interested in for "rainy day" marathons, but still if I'm cocking my eyebrows after a few episodes, it gets flushed.
Old 2012-03-12, 21:33   Link #18
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

I have to say when I drop anime I don't care what episode I'm in because I feel like its a waste of time finishing the anime I hate
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 21:51   Link #19
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Back when I first started watching anime I barely dropped anything. Even if it wasn't overly interesting or appealing to me, I saw it through to the end. Sometimes it was because I felt that I might still get something out of it; other times it was just because it was better than nothing.

I had a lot of free time back then.

These days I drop series left and right, but it's usually not intentional. I've become discerning enough that I'm fairly selective about what I'll start watching, and screen out quite a few series before even trying the first episode. I'll start watching a series and no matter how enjoyable it may be, things will happen in life that take me away from it for a week or more, and then I may forget about it or lose interest. In recent years there have been a few series that I had to re-start watching from episode 1, simply because I wanted to finish it, but was kept away from it for long enough that I needed to start the climb from the base again.
Old 2012-03-12, 22:11   Link #20
Echoes

I selected "I try not to."

When I do drop something, it's generally after just one or two episodes, either because the show gave me a horrible impression, or because is simply wasn't my cup of tea. This generally happens to one show per season or so, as I've gotten better at narrowing down what I'm likely to at least tolerate, and hopefully enjoy, through the years.

When it comes to actually dropping something I've invested time in (i.e. something I've seen more than 5-6 episodes of), I hardly ever drop anything. If I've devoted that much time to it without giving it the boot, I'm likely to stick with it to the (potentially bitter) end. That might just be out of stubbornness; I'd hate to have completely wasted my time with it, so I convince myself that there's some smidgeon of a point in finishing this series for the sake of completion. (Or I delude myself into thinking it still might get better, and once in a blue moon, that delusion is reinforced by an anomalously uneven show.)

The only show I can recall dropping after delving deep into it was Kurokami, which I dropped after around 14 episodes. I felt like a real schmuck after that one, but the show was so terribly boring and unappealing to me (YMMV) that I simply could not bear to sit through another episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
In recent years there have been a few series that I had to re-start watching from episode 1, simply because I wanted to finish it, but was kept away from it for long enough that I needed to start the climb from the base again.
I know that feeling, and I hate it when that happens. It is regrettable enough having to put things you're actually enjoying a lot on the back-burner because of limited free time, but if you've watched a handful of episodes and then have to wait months before resuming you might, like you said, have to re-watch it from the start to get immersed again. And that in itself has acted as a deterrence for picking it up again for me on several occasions, since re-watching those episodes sometimes feels like a bit of a chore.