AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-07, 11:12   Link #701
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
If we were to go by the book and all physicky then right off the bat the first point would be "WTF?! An old WW II battleship is converted into a state of the art space craft?" Right?!
LOL That's what my husband always says when I try to get him interested in the old Starblazers series. He can never suspend his disbelief far enough to get past that thought.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 11:19   Link #702
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
LOL That's what my husband always says when I try to get him interested in the old Starblazers series. He can never suspend his disbelief far enough to get past that thought.
Yeah my friend has that problem as well. He can't get past the idea of a flying ocean going ship.

The extreme speed for the Iscandarian ship made me think of a few things.

Spoiler for Yamato 2201, New Voyages, and the floating continent:
Old 2012-07-07, 12:07   Link #703
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
)...But this is sci-fi and this is Yamato. If we were to go by the book and all physicky then right off the bat the first point would be "WTF?! An old WW II battleship is converted into a state of the art space craft?" Right?!
You know I have always been confused about that.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the WWII Yamato site chosen simply as camouflage to fool Gamilas.
After all, isn't this new Yamato supposed to be considerably larger than the original WWII ship?

The WWII warship stats:

Displacement: 65,027 tonnes (64,000 long tons)
Length: 263 m (862 ft 10 in) (overall)
Beam: 38.9 m (127 ft 7 in)
Draft: 11 m (36 ft 1 in)
Crew: 2800

The New Yamato 2199 stats (best I could find online):
Displacement: ??? (I assume it is around 80,000-100,000+ tons considering all the new systems, and enlarged size).
Length: 333 meters
Beam: 80 meters?
Draft: ???
Crew: 3000+

While the original TV show was about a refit of the WWII battleship, I think it illogical to assume that the 2199 version can be the same vessel.
We now know that the real Yamato is in multiple pieces.
Source.

I understand that Yamato 2199 is just a Space Opera and thus "artistic license" is in effect, but as a long-time fan of this show/series I'd like to think that the Space Battleship was a totally new ship built in honor of the original rather than the actual keel of the WWII ship.

As for it's realism as a spaceship of this kind.
From a military standpoint the low-profile of the Space Battleship Yamato is superior to other SF designs we see.
Take the Enterprise from Star Trek for example.
Scientifically it may be great, but from a military point of view it is a terrible design due to all of its high-profile surfaces, externally mounted engines, and inability to land on a planet.

While a design like the Space Battleships/Cruisers of Yamato make practical sense when you come from a planet whose surface is 70% covered by water. Landing on Earth is easy with such a design, not to mention it's low-profile in nearly every angle makes it a fine warship.
I suppose it could be argued that the bridge should be at the front of the vessel or perhaps be internal, but that would hamper it's atmospheric use.
On many occations in the original TV show we see Yamato flying in an atmosphere, so would it be safe to say that the ship is more akin to a Aerospacecraft rather than just a spaceship?
Old 2012-07-07, 13:27   Link #704
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In 1974 they had no idea what Yamato looked like on the bottom of the sea. Sort of like how people though Titanic would be more intact until they found the wreck. Least it isn't HMS Hood. She's in lots pieces.

If there was any sunken battleship that could be fitted out like Yamato, it would be Bismark. He is practically in one piece...well his hull at least. The bridge is knocked off and the turrets fell out.

In a Yamato note; it is interesting that they are calling her Yamamoto "Rei" now where before it was "Akira". Guess the weight of the voice actress's star?
Old 2012-07-07, 13:43   Link #705
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
In 1974 they had no idea what Yamato looked like on the bottom of the sea.
They only discovered the wreck of Yamato a few years ago. Originally, the Yamato was going to be a newly-built spacecraft, only christened after her namesake. That was until Leiji Matsumoto joined the team and lobbied for his more "romantic" idea. Interestingly, when the first feature film was dubbed into English, it was made clear that the rusted husk was merely camouflage. I think this may also be alluded to in the "Star Blazers" version (need to watch Episode 2 again).

Quote:
In a Yamato note; it is interesting that they are calling her Yamamoto "Rei" now where before it was "Akira". Guess the weight of the voice actress's star?
Really? Where is this listed?
Old 2012-07-07, 14:14   Link #706
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've encountered it twice so far. One is the translation of the TV Bros Magazine article of May 23rd on Starblazers.com. In Director Yutaka Izubuchi's interview is this quote:
Quote:
Izubuchi: I see. (Laughs) There are a lot of female characters on the ship this time, so there could be more love stories. Rei Yamamoto can be regarded as a new character, maybe she'll have a role in a love story.
The other is this character's Saimoe entry this year is listed as this: 山本玲@宇宙戦艦ヤマト2199
(Which Google pops out as: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 @ Rei Yamamoto)

It might be a fan name (or a translation error?), but if the Director called her that?
Old 2012-07-07, 14:40   Link #707
August138

The interview wasn't in English, it was translated, so I would consider that an error that got through, but it's not a grievous mistake. The common reading is "Rei", but according to the Japanese Wikipedia, it is explained that the reading is the uncommon, "Akira" — it makes sense, because her deceased brother is named "Akio". Plus, the official 2199 website has her as 「やまもと あきら」(or "Yamamoto Akira") in furigana over the kanji of her name, 「山本玲」, to underline the proper reading.

Interestingly, Leiji Matsumoto's given first name is 「晟」("Akira"), and his pen-name, "Leiji/Reiji", comes from the kanji, 「零」("Rei"), meaning "Zero".

2199 FUN FACT: Since Akira Yamamoto was born on Mars (presumably, so were her parents), she has red irises — a trait of humans who have acclimated to life on Mars.

Last edited by August138; 2012-07-07 at 19:23.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 14:54   Link #708
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Probably right. It was only the second time I'd encountered the "Rei" translation. Odd since the English used for her character page on Yamato2199.net even says "Akira". http://yamato2199.net/character_akira.html

I was thinking they had adapted a fan nickname, though that would be odd since it would be "Rie" instead of "Rei" for Tanaka Rie.

Though how you get what sounds like three characters (A Ki Ra) out of something that commonly translates to something that looks like one character (Rei) seems oddly confused. Or course English can be just as confusing I imagine.

Female (2012): 山本玲
Male (1974): 山本明
Old 2012-07-07, 16:09   Link #709
macdawson

I wonder if all those physical traits (silver hair, red eyes) and the name double-entendre (Akira to Rei) aren't a wink of the eye to Hideaki Anno. Anno's connection to Yamato 2199 is well known as is his fan status and he has himself made several Yamato homages in Gainax series. This might all be a very obvious tribute to the man.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 17:51   Link #710
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

From what I can gather from the Star Blazers dub, that translation suggests it is the original ship rebuilt ("brought back to life again"). They even call it Yamato for the first two episodes before it gets renamed as Argo in the third.

And that is with the entire 1945 flashback scene removed from the story.

The rebuilding of the Yamato also seems to fit the theme they went with for in Yamato 2520 and Resurrection...with each new Yamato being built from the remains of her predecessor. Be it the hull members or just the computer core.

The new version makes more logical sense. But back then...super science that can do almost anything? Sure we can rebuild a shipwreck into a massive warships to save our planet. What can possibly go wrong?
Old 2012-07-07, 17:58   Link #711
August138

Quote:
From what I can gather from the Star Blazers dub, that translation suggests it is the original ship rebuilt ("brought back to life again").
Still, that's vague, and not explicit.

Quote:
The rebuilding of the Yamato also seems to fit the theme they went with for in Yamato 2520 and Resurrection...with each new Yamato being built from the remains of her predecessor. Be it the hull members or just the computer core.
In the old timeline(s), yes.

Quote:
The new version makes more logical sense.
Sure, but that concept has been around since the inception of the story (1973). Or at least, since the first feature film.

Quote:
But back then... super science that can do almost anything? Sure we can rebuild a shipwreck into a massive warships to safe our planet. What can possibly go wrong?
I'm kind of sick of the dystopian view of science screwing everything up. Yamato is a very pro-science story.
Old 2012-07-07, 18:21   Link #712
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I probably should start the quote from Captain Avatar a little earlier:

"This was a great battleship in a time when great fleets sailed the seas and there were wars among the nations of Earth. It sank during one of the last wars between counties. All war on Earth ceased when Gamilon began bombing us. We all joined against a common enemy. Now the ship has been brought back to life again...."

Of course the Star Blazers timeline suggests the war with the Gamilons has been going on since the 21st century and that the Planet Bombing since 2191 was basically due to fustration with the Earth's multiple decade long resistance to invasion.

None of which has any bearing on Yamato, of course.
Old 2012-07-08, 23:05   Link #713
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A little battle fanart today:

(Source: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=28506904)

(Source: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=28494273)
Old 2012-07-13, 06:52   Link #714
macdawson

Things have been relatively quiet around here so i guess it's a good time for some random thoughts.

I don't know if anyone noticed this small detail, i only noticed it a couple days ago while re-watching episode 1 by the hundreth time XD When the Kirishima fires the first shot and hits the Gamilas cruiser the impact causes the ship to tilt slightly. Don't know how i've missed that in so many viewings. XD

Bunker Guy 1...is it just me that thinks he looks a lot like Mamoru in Be Forever Yamato?

The final thought is one about the future. Assuming Yamato 2199 will follow the basic central story of the original, Okita will eventually make Kodai his deputy captain. But unlike the original, now we have a second in command, Sanada. How will that work?
My view in this is: Sanada was given the post of XO but the person that was supposed to be the XO was Mamoru (this hasn't been stated anywhere, it's just my assumption). Sanada took the role of his friend and class-mate but will be more than willing to allow Susumu to, basically, side step him in the higherarchy game. If he's the same Sanada we know and love, i do see him doing that. What do you think?

Last edited by macdawson; 2012-07-13 at 09:05.
Old 2012-07-13, 12:20   Link #715
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm not sure if I noticed the tilt or not, but it does make sense given the hard impact. When Kirishima gets a similar impact from Gamilas weapons she tilts as well.

And yes the guy does look like Be Forever's Mamoru. The thing I noticed here was that aside from Sanada, this was the only place we saw other Yamato crew members in the green uniforms. This guy has a rank of I suppose 1st Lieutenant, which is what Kato has. I can't tell what position he would have been if he lived. Guessing Navigation Chief (Shima's position) if Mamoru was suppose to be the Combat Chief. That is assuming that Sanada was always suppose to go on the voyage as Science Chief.

That is again assuming that not everyone that is in a department head position was in that bunker and killed. If that was the case, than all of Yamato's department heads were picked quickly from the remaining crew and people Okita trusted. Tokugawa had likely been Okita's chief engineer on the Kirishima for a long time, but was up for retirement...so perhaps the call for him to Yamato was something short notice. Hirata was also serving on Kirishama and now he's the Accounting Department Head (and got a heavy promotion similar to Kodai, Shima, and Mori).

The Warp meeting shows us most of the department heads (the rest of the departments I suppose are sub-departments under these people) Nanbu, Kato, and Niimi being the ones that are under someone else's command other than the Captain. Nanbu and Kato are under Kodai's command (as is I guess Security, but that guy wasn't at the meeting), but run specific departments (Gunnery and Fighter Wing). Niimi is needed to explain the engine and wave motion gun. She also was not promoted heavily like several of the others....she was a "captain" (army rank) already.

As for if the timeline is stable and Kodai becomes Deputy Captain over Sanada. Well it might depend on how he proves himself verses Sanada's ideas of command. I doubt Sanada wants to command a starship, and would step aside in honor of his friend Mamoru. (There is also Be Forever, Yamato, when Kodai asks Sanada if he's Captain now of the refitted ship. Sanada laughs at that before telling him who is in command.) Though there is another precident. Yamato III has a Captain and two XOs. So is it possible that Kodai gets bumped up to combat XO on the same level as Sanada (perhaps with a promotion in rank) and thus they are both XO, just Kodai is more suited to the combat missions they need to undertake as they get closer to Iscandar.

Because even while Kodai is acting as Captian, he tends to need advise from Sanada and the others to make an informed choice. Okita tends to know things already and will just give an order...Kodai tends to involve the others on the bridge...even if he does make snap command decisions from time to time like a Captain should.

Kodai is also faster to call for the Wave Motion Gun...but that might be due to experiance in what it can do verse's Okita's voyage.
Old 2012-07-13, 15:09   Link #716
macdawson

I don't know the exact quote but i believe Okita tells Kodai that all the department heads were killed in the bunker and i did read somewhere that those now in command were chosen last minute from the crew.
As for the warp meeting, everyone from the main bridge staff was there except Ota. Poor guy, must be feeling left out. XD And it would make more sense for him to be there than Nambu since the navigation section has a bigger role to play in the warp and he is assisting Shima on the procedure. But i'll venture a guess that he was left steering the ship (or watching Analizer). XD
Old 2012-07-13, 15:59   Link #717
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Actually the guy in yellow isn't Aihara. That was Hirata (slightly longer face, and three bars on his shoulder). The Accounting Department Head. (The guy we originally didn't see until Yamato III but was said to have come on with Kodai and Shima's group.)

The Operation section colors are slightly confusing. Yuki is in Yellow, Aihara is in sort of the same yellow (a dull yellow to Yuki's bright yellow). Akira, Yuria, and Hirata are in a kind of orange-ish yellow.

Also that four departments have color on white clothing, while the other departments have black on department color. Save the fighter pilots that seems to be either color on black, or their color is black and someone decideds they shouldn't have white uniforms, and yellow looks cool on black. Of this...so far. The only person who's color pattern seems off is Niimi. If her uniform was to match Sanada it would be blue on white....but I guess someone in the design department (in universe I mean) thought that skintight white uniforms might not be a good idea.
Old 2012-07-13, 20:16   Link #718
macdawson

I had a feeling that it was Hirata but i haven't seen enough of Aihara's new design to destinguish the two, especially cause they look a bit alike. Add the same uniform and the lighting conditions on that scene and there you have it. Thanks for clearing that one up.

As for Niimi's uniform i'm trying to visualize it in white with blue details or the other way around and... nah, it just looks better like that. Maybe it's a nod to Sasha's uniform though her's was in a lighter shade of blue and does have a white part in the shoulder and chest but it may have inspired her uniform.
Old 2012-07-13, 22:44   Link #719
macdawson

For those that want a taste of the new episodes (and a peek at chapter 3) here's fresh out of Nicovideo, the previews for episodes 4, 5, 6 and 7. Enjoy them while they're up.

Old 2012-07-14, 00:33   Link #720
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wow.

Definately shields at work there with the Reflex Gun hitting Yamato and splashing off at first before cutting into the hull. Also a better clue to something that happened at the end of the original 1974 voyage. (I do hope the Gamilas fixed that afterwards, or else Dessler is going to be quite cross).

Interested to see if their is any indication of Gamilas shields repelling the shock cannon hits over Jupiter. The small clip of the one heavy cruiser being destroyed seems to indicate that the shock cannons go through them as if they aren't even there.

A look at there Command and Control Room (as oppose to the First Bridge) Interesting...as long as that isn't the Third Bridge they will be fine.

The hanger deck seems to have gravity plating (or whatever) on both sides of the rack so pilots can get in upside down and right side up. First wave of fighters has two Cosmo Zero (Kodai and Yamamoto) and ten Cosmo Falcons out of 36 Falcons.

The episode 7 preview seems to indicate a Wave Motion Gun shot at some point (goggles).

Makoto seems to be the matchmaker type (or the shipper type).

On an odd note....Gamilas robots. Robot tanks (or just a robot soldier to do the dirty work)?

(About 14-19 days before I get a copy)

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato