AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-10-09, 22:11   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Porco Rosso - Another Fine Ghibli Classic

hehe. Yes, if you're curious I'm currently working to get caught up on all the Ghibli films I have missed simply because I didn't know they existed. Porco Rosso is another one of those with lots of typical and lovable Ghibli charecters in an story that deals with a very troubled time in the world, especially Italy, in post WW1 just before the facists took over Italy before the start of WW2. The old school air combat mixed with the wide variety of very unique and colorful flying boats and other aircraft made this anime incredibly enjoyable. What made it even more fun is I'm a huge flying enthusiest so I love anime that deal with flying.

If you haven't seen this anime, I highly recommend it. When I first read the description about it I was a little aprehensive. Especially since it mentioned about a "pig" that piloted a flying boat who specialized in bounty hunting. But needless to say I was in no way disappointed. This was definately an anime to get and I'm thankful I could watch it. Has anyone else seen it? What did you think of it? Did you enjoy it?
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 02:14   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I, personally, love the music from Porco Rosso. While the imagery was spectacular, especially during the slow flying scenes like when he was flying to Milan, I love the background music and Gina's singing. Ah... heaven. Porco Rosso is one of my favorite of the Ghibli movies, it's just such a pleasure to watch I find it better than Mononoke-hime. Every time I watch it I try to imagine what Marco looks like in the end, did he remain a pig or did he return to being a human?

I am curious, how is the Disney dub? I own the R2 versions of all (almost all) the Ghibli movies and while they do include English dubs I wouldn't say they're very good. ^^: So I'm curious about the Disney versions before I shell out even more cash to buy them. Maybe I'll just look into renting it... >.>
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 02:16   Link #3
Kensuke

Porco Rosso definitely brings up golden memories. Too bad that the last time I saw it was something like 10 years ago, so there isn't much that I remember, but I enjoyed it a lot. Movie is quite lighthearted, feel-good-movie and I really like those kind of animes, plus great action with fight scenes.
Definitely one of the Miyazaki's best, second only to Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind. IMO

I have read that the reason why the main character is a pig, is a symbol of his detachment from humans (and he was quite slobby too )
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 08:20   Link #4
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Mr. Paper, the english dub is decent. It won't rot your ears off, but it's also not as good as some of the other disney english anime dubs I've seen. But it's watchable with the english dub. It's better watching it in japanese with english sub. The voices seem to have more charecter and they do a lot better job of showing how hyperactive that one mechanic girl is all the time.

Man, and to think I used to swear by english dubs. Now the majority are unbearable. ^_^;;
Old 2004-10-10, 12:55   Link #5
MartAnimE
willingness to die

you know, a funny thing about Miyazaki/Ghibli movies is that theiy're sometimes related somehow... remember when you posted about "The cat returns" and I said that it mentioned some of the characters from "Whisper of the heart"? Well, in "Whisper of the heart" some characters from Porco Rosso are also mentioned.
Spoiler:
So, I first watched "The cat returns", that lead me to watching "Whisper of the heart" that lead me to watching "Porco Rosso". Ain't that crazy?
MartAnimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 17:14   Link #6
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartAnimE
you know, a funny thing about Miyazaki/Ghibli movies is that theiy're sometimes related somehow... remember when you posted about "The cat returns" and I said that it mentioned some of the characters from "Whisper of the heart"? Well, in "Whisper of the heart" some characters from Porco Rosso are also mentioned.
Spoiler:
So, I first watched "The cat returns", that lead me to watching "Whisper of the heart" that lead me to watching "Porco Rosso". Ain't that crazy?
Actually, in Whisper of the Heart, he only says...

Spoiler:
The only real tie between the clock and Porco Rosso is that "Porco Rosso" is written on the clock face.
Old 2004-10-10, 19:31   Link #7
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, I actually found out about a lot of these films I didn't know about from a friend, then in turn when researching them I found nausicca.net and ended up finding out about even more Ghibli films. It's funny how research into one anime ends up making you aware of so many others.
Old 2004-10-11, 07:16   Link #8
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Actually, in Whisper of the Heart, he only says...

Spoiler:
The only real tie between the clock and Porco Rosso is that "Porco Rosso" is written on the clock face.
Yeah, you're right sorry I haven't watch it for a long time so I was a little confused but I remember there was something about Porco Rosso, the subs of the fansub I watched also mentioned this thing about the clock.
MartAnimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 11:39   Link #9
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Mr. Paper, the english dub is decent. It won't rot your ears off, but it's also not as good as some of the other disney english anime dubs I've seen. But it's watchable with the english dub. It's better watching it in japanese with english sub. The voices seem to have more charecter and they do a lot better job of showing how hyperactive that one mechanic girl is all the time.

Man, and to think I used to swear by english dubs. Now the majority are unbearable. ^_^;;
So I'm curious is this a region 1 dvd that you have? because on amazon it says the movie hasn't been released yet.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 12:27   Link #10
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

HAHA. If it hasn't been released yet then my friend has a bootleg. Cause it's got english dub and japanese with english sub on it. I'm broke as broke gets right now so I haven't been buying any dvd's since...oh, early may. Can't afford them right now, so I've been hitting up my friends for their copies to watch some of this stuff. That's how I've found out about a lot of these Miyazaki films I didn't know about. Well, them and Naussica.net.

Also, looking at the movie release date (1992) I find it kind of hard to believe a movie that old that's licenced under the Disney-Tokuma deal from the start would NOT be in R1 DVD yet. Looking at what Amazon has, they show a tenative date of Jan 1, 2010. That tells me that the dvd info hasn't been given to them nor are they able to sell it yet which would lead me to believe that the dvd was released at one time, pulled due to lack of popularity due to age and product saturation (a common strategy of disney) and then redone and re-released later on for a new generation or new group of people to buy. Heck, they've done it repeatedly with disney classics like snow white and bambi. Why would this be any different?

Also, more research has DVDPacific showing a release date of 12/31/2025, while animeondvd shows the release date as Dec 12 2012. Now here's something even more interesting. A little googling brings up that the R2 release date on VHS as June 1, 1993. Rereleased on DVD in 1998, rereleased in a multi-language compilation in 2002. It was released in the states in 1995 as a VHS, and 1998 as a dvd but pulled within 6 months due to lack of interest apparently. It's being re-released again as a new compilation at an undecided time in the near future.

That's the info I have so far. Not all of it may be 100% accurate, but it's what I've gathered by doing some googling, so it's entirely possible his dvd is either legit or bootleg, but I'd bet legit.

(gauds, I'm long winded. ^_^)
Old 2004-10-11, 13:08   Link #11
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Studio Ghibli is undoubtedly the greatest thing ever, not only in the anime world, but in all the film/moving pictures I've seen. Really. Miyazaki and Takahata are my two favorite directors of all time, with Satoshi Kon at third place. I have yet to see The Cat Returns and Ocean Waves (and Howl's Moving Castle), and I look forward to them both very much.

Porco Rosso is pure Miyazaki, and I love it to bits. The music, the animation, the story, the characters... ahh, it's just too much. Mr. Paper -- the scene where Porco is flying over the sea (I'm not sure which sea... maybe to Milan) and that beautiful song with the violins is playing is one of my favorites throughout the whole movie. Definitely one of Joe Hisaishi's best songs in *any* movie.

My most favorite scene in all of Porco Rosso is probably the flashback in which Porco is still human. The whole thing with the cloud and the ghosts of destroyed planes sends shivers down my spine every time I watch it.

I can't wait to get the DVD.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 19:06   Link #12
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Well when Disney releaseed the first batch of Miyazaki movies about a year and a half ago they announced that they would release a second batch of his movies around september/ october 2004 which includes Porco Rosso, Nausicaä and a new two disc set of Totaro. However it was delayed or something.
Old 2004-10-11, 21:22   Link #13
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Ah! So if that's true, it now makes me wonder where my friend got his copy from then. o_0

If that was a bootleg....*shiver*does ritual cleansing* T_T
Old 2004-10-11, 23:35   Link #14
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Ah! So if that's true, it now makes me wonder where my friend got his copy from then. o_0

If that was a bootleg....*shiver*does ritual cleansing* T_T
A friend of mine has the bootleg Porco Rosso. It is identicle to the legit (R2) version in nearly every concievable fashion except they switched the Ghibli made English dub with a Cantonese dub.

Placing the cases side by side, front covers atleast, you can't tell them apart.
Old 2004-10-12, 01:19   Link #15
Fronzel
Schmuck

So then the Disney dub doesn't exist yet. Judging from their previous dubs (Kiki, Laputa, Mononoke), it will be fairly good, but with a noticeable slight inferiority to the original.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 03:19   Link #16
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
So then the Disney dub doesn't exist yet. Judging from their previous dubs (Kiki, Laputa, Mononoke), it will be fairly good, but with a noticeable slight inferiority to the original.
Yeah I think you're right. And I do have to say that Disney has made the best dubbed anime that I have ever heard, as they should considering they make so many cartoons with good voice talent.
Old 2004-10-12, 07:25   Link #17
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Porco Rosso is my favorite Ghibli film and actually one of my favorite movies, period. It is a shame that it took this long for it to get recognized here in the States. The ending left me pondering for so many weeks on end.
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-22, 11:07   Link #18
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Miyazaki mulls over Porco Rosso sequel
Quote:
Tokyo (Aug 22, Sun): In the September issue of Cut magazine, director Hayao Miyazaki revealed that he is considering a film of his Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie concept — although this hypothetical film will not be made, if at all, until after Ghibli's next film at the earliest.

The current issue of Rockin'On's Cut shipped last Thursday with a 20,000-character interview with Miyazaki, as well as interviews with his long-time Ghibli producer, Toshio Suzuki; the director of this summer's The Borrowers (Karigurashi no Arrietty), Hiromasa Yonebayashi (aka "Maro"), and young voice actor Ryunosuke Kamiki (The Borrowers' Sho).

In his interview, Miyazaki discussed his studio's plans for releasing two films in the three years after 2008's Ponyo film, as first revealed on the studio's official website. Both films have relatively new directors; the first of those film projects became this summer's The Borrowers.

Had The Borrowers not been a success, Suzuki was considering downsizing Ghibli to just five staff members. This smaller hypothetical Ghibli would not make any more films, and just handle the copyrights for the studio's existing works. (The Borrowers earned almost US$75 million in Japan as of last weekend.)

The next Ghibli film by a young director has a girl as the leading character, and Suzuki suggested that Miyazaki can make a film after that one as a "hobby". Miyazaki wants to make Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie, his previously introduced sequel idea which would be set during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939). Miyazaki's first Porco Rosso film was set between World War I and World War II.

ANIME NEWS NETWORK
Two things stand out immediately:

(1) I'm not sure if I should be thrilled about a sequel to what I consider an already completed story. What more is there to explore about Marco's story, especially since it's likely that
Spoiler for the original movie:

(2) Suzuki was planning to cut Studio Ghibli down to five staff? Does this mean the studio is suffering from financial difficulties? If so, this is the first time I'm reading about it. If even Ghibli cannot weather the storm, what more can we expect from the rest of the industry?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-22, 11:10   Link #19
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah not that sure how i'd feel about a sequel, though i'd certainly be interested in seeing what one could be about (especially being set during the Spanish Civil War). There were a few unanswered questions in the film, though that was one of the beauties about it.

So yeah, not sure how i'd feel about this. Guess i'll just wait for more information.
Old 2010-08-23, 02:16   Link #20
Theowne
耳をすませば

I would be very disappointed if Hayao Miyazaki could not produce at least one more completely original story and setting in the vein of Nausicaa, Totoro, and Mononoke, in his lifetime (speaking as someone who was not blown away by Ponyo). I'm always inclined to be skeptical of sequels no matter where they appear, but I suppose it feels somewhat disappointing to see Miyazaki revisiting old concepts. I have been waiting for a new "knockout" film from him since Spirited Away. Of course, it could always be the case that Miyazaki has some brilliant idea for Marco - we'll have to wait and see.

I have a feeling that Suzuki's comment about basically firing the entire staff except for the core administrative team (five people) was just a tad exaggerated in hindsight. However, someone on the ANN board posited the idea that it may have also been influenced by another fact: that the historically important figures at Ghibli (Miyazaki, Takahata, Suzuki) are all past retiring age and they still haven't found competent replacements, Miyazaki is still primarily the draw at Ghibli, and there's no one to take the company forward at the same pace. From that perspective, the idea of "quitting before the company starts going downhill" makes sense, though I'm pretty sure this is not how a businessman would think.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghibli