Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-20, 12:33   Link #41
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
We're planning on doing just that, actually. We already subbed 27-39 back when it was unlicensed.

-Tofu
Um, didn't you guys do the whole series back then? At least, I seem to have all the L-E files somewhere.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 12:41   Link #42
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

you guy might want to wait till most of the stores stop selling the Utena dvds even if the license have run out.

Stores like Amazon are still selling it online.
Old 2007-12-20, 13:31   Link #43
Stephanie
You can reach for my hand

Send a message via Yahoo to Stephanie
By the way, I don't know if anyone heard this yet, but Ikuni (director of Utena) is remastering the series.. n_n

Yay! Better animation, music and the likes.. I wonder how it'll turn out! ^_^

Oh yeah.. Just wanna share as well, for some interpretation of mine in the series..

Spoiler for Episode 37 to 38:

I didn't continue 39 because:
1.) Got lazy
2.) Finding out on your own is better ^_^

Some song interpretation:

Spoiler for Pre-Duel Theme:

Spoiler for Opening Theme:

Some other more links:
Think the ending is sad? EHHH!! Wrong! Clicky!
Interpreting Symbolism in SKU

Summary of Revolutionary Girl Utena

n_n
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 23:42   Link #44
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Um, didn't you guys do the whole series back then? At least, I seem to have all the L-E files somewhere.
We did the last 3rd (27-39) because it was sitting unlicensed for years. Since the DVDs are basically out of print and hard to find, if the license has indeed expired, we are probably going to go back and sub the entire series. I am glad you enjoyed our version, though! ^^

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 23:44   Link #45
Tofusensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaachaQ View Post
Like another old CPM series, Slayers, I expect one of the other US companies to pick up this liscense and redistribute it. I wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble by distributing fansubs at this point while the state of the US liscense is in limbo.

I personally fansubbed the Utena Movie, though I doubt many people saw my version. We were a very small fansub group, we only ever completed a few projects and never made an official digital release. MQP Fansubs I believe is the name we used, and I'm sure I could dig up my Substation Alpha script if I really wanted to ^^;
If the dvds are out of print and the license is CONFIRMED as being expired, then I don't see the harm in doing it. That was my point, I guess.

-Tofu
Old 2007-12-21, 00:27   Link #46
guess

Quote:
If [.....] the license is CONFIRMED as being expired, then I don't see the harm in doing it. That was my point, I guess.

-Tofu
I agree on this part. But this is the kind of info that can only be obtained by contacting the company directly, I think. For some reason, they don't like to disclose this kind of info.
Old 2007-12-21, 00:47   Link #47
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
We did the last 3rd (27-39) because it was sitting unlicensed for years. Since the DVDs are basically out of print and hard to find, if the license has indeed expired, we are probably going to go back and sub the entire series. I am glad you enjoyed our version, though! ^^

-Tofu
I suggest you do a search on amazon.com.
Old 2007-12-21, 00:55   Link #48
Stephanie

Question, if this anime got licensed by an American company (like Inuyasha's and stuff) will this anime be "dumbed down" like all other animes? That's a bit scary..
Old 2007-12-21, 01:23   Link #49
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

How can an anime be "dumbed down"? They are only translating it, for God's sake. Hell, you don't even have to watch a translation and see the original version with subtitles.

As for where to buy the DVDs online, a spot check of all the usual places (DVDPacific, Digitaleyes, Amazon, RightStuf, Animenation) showed that Utena is not stocked pretty much anywhere. This helpful AOD thread claims that most DVDs are out of print.

You can find an occasional DVD of the movie or a preowned version. From the looks of it, eBay is the way to go.
Old 2007-12-21, 01:51   Link #50
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
How can an anime be "dumbed down"? They are only translating it, for God's sake. Hell, you don't even have to watch a translation and see the original version with subtitles.
You are talking about dubbing <_<

Recently, other animes like Inuyasha and many many more, were "rewritten" and "rescripted" to fit mass media in all countries so all audiences can indulge in it.

Like the current anime Maria-sama is being licensed by a company who has past experiences of rewriting and rescripting animes for mass audience.

I am not saying Utena will be rewritten nor rescripted, I simply ponder to ask that question, and it does so happens with a lot of animes lately, and animes before. I merely pointed out it would be scary if Utena (whose symbolisms meaning match no anime I've watched so far) be "dumb down" if one of those (note, not all) usual licensors were to get it.
Old 2007-12-21, 01:59   Link #51
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

The point is moot. Is has already been brought to R1 by Central Park Media.
Old 2007-12-21, 02:09   Link #52
Tofusensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I suggest you do a search on amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-...8220850&sr=8-1

"Availability: Temporarily out of stock."

http://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-...8220850&sr=8-2

"Availability: Temporarily out of stock."

???

-Tofu
Old 2007-12-21, 04:12   Link #53
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
If the dvds are out of print and the license is CONFIRMED as being expired, then I don't see the harm in doing it. That was my point, I guess.
That's the point, it has to be confirmed in some way that the licensed has lapsed.

Being out of print alone doesn't mean much, a company can create a new print run when they like. Typically a license contract will have the clause that the licensed will not "expire" unless the product is no longer available for purchase for a certain period of time (for example, 5, 10 years). Since we do not have access to the contract's fine print, we are not in a position to be able to state if the license has expired or not.

At this point in time we can only assume that it is still licensed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Question, if this anime got licensed by an American company (like Inuyasha's and stuff) will this anime be "dumbed down" like all other animes? That's a bit scary..
You are mixing up what happens to series that are purchased for T.V. broadcast (by stations such as 4Kids) and those series that are released on DVD.

Only a few (a very few) are "dumbed down" and only for the T.V. Release. The only real example I know of is One Piece but as far as I remember the DVD release of Inuyasha by Viz comes with the original Japanese along with English subtitles, i.e. it is uncut as far as I'm aware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Recently, other animes like Inuyasha and many many more, were "rewritten" and "rescripted" to fit mass media in all countries so all audiences can indulge in it.
Sorry but you are talking rubbish here. Most of them are uncut and they are not "rewritten" or "rescripted" at all. You may not like the style of the translation with the subtitles but it is not changed beyond the requirement that any translation isn't perfect (since it is a translation after all).

Sorry but this is rather off-topic to the thread. Please remember that this is the discussion thread for Utena. The DVD release for Utena certainly was not rewritten nor rescripted.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 05:54   Link #54
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Being out of print alone doesn't mean much, a company can create a new print run when they like. Typically a license contract will have the clause that the licensed will not "expire" unless the product is no longer available for purchase for a certain period of time (for example, 5, 10 years). Since we do not have access to the contract's fine print, we are not in a position to be able to state if the license has expired or not.
If CPM has indeed filed for chapter 7 liquidation, then, in all probability, its IP (license to Utena, in this case) would be sold out by the company's creditors to other distributors.

Bankruptcy of the license holder wouldn't automatically mean the lapse of the licensing contract, unless it's specifically covered in the contract, just as you say.

So, even if CPM goes out of business, someone still owns the distribution rights to its former properties in North America.
Old 2007-12-23, 10:20   Link #55
Kumani
ガールズラブ

Send a message via AIM to Kumani Send a message via MSN to Kumani
I finished watching the series and movie just yesterday and there is still some questions that are left unanswered. By the way, the movie is okay, I kinda hate the feeling that they mixed everything up and that there should have been more yuri action in the series as well.

I never really got the feeling that Anthy quite loosened herself up, I always felt like she never did anything that showed who she really is.

And in the end, why did she end up killing Utena? She really could have saved her!!! So did Utena really fail? I mean I feel that she saved Anthy by letting Anthy save herself, which worked. So did she die? GRRRR I just didn't like the ending! lol
Kumani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 20:23   Link #56
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

First, chill. Second, the movie and series are unrelated, if you didn't know. The movie essentially redoes the primary theme of the series, which says the school is a virtual prison with its own nonsensical rules. The "revolution" (which almost no one realizes) is to graduate from that mindset and go into the real world.
Think about how they also put it into a postmodern fairy tale setting by first stating there is a prince, then revealing there is no prince, just an imaginary one.

Third, rewatch it with these in mind.
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 22:07   Link #57
Stephanie

@xris
Ok, I made a mistake.. Yes it would be stupid of me not to remember Utena is in the "licensed" thread, but saying "rubbish" is not something actually expected from a mod.. That is an insult, and you keep saying words that doesn't need to be there.. Why don't you just tell me my post is irrelevant rather than "rubbish".. Hah, and I probably expect a burn after this..

@Kumani
Remember that Utena is full of symbolisms, not everything is "direct" think about it, wouldn't Akio and Anthy also have died from the castle being destroyed?

Everything indeed is pure "symbolisms" here is my earlier post for some of my interpretation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie
By the way, I don't know if anyone heard this yet, but Ikuni (director of Utena) is remastering the series.. n_n

Yay! Better animation, music and the likes.. I wonder how it'll turn out! ^_^

Oh yeah.. Just wanna share as well, for some interpretation of mine in the series..

Spoiler for Episode 37 to 38:

I didn't continue 39 because:
1.) Got lazy
2.) Finding out on your own is better ^_^

Some song interpretation:

Spoiler for Pre-Duel Theme:

Spoiler for Opening Theme:

Some other more links:
Think the ending is sad? EHHH!! Wrong! Clicky!
Interpreting Symbolism in SKU

Summary of Revolutionary Girl Utena

n_n
Oh yeah, and for the add, here's Chiho Sato (Utena Manga and Art) made about "probably" Anthy and Utena in the future after the series: SPOILER (Do not look if you haven't finished Utena)
Old 2007-12-23, 22:17   Link #58
Kumani
ガールズラブ

@ wavedash, I am chilled dude, what's your problem? and I already knew that the movie is ambiguous to the series, it's pretty obvious!!

@ stephanie, yeah thanks girl, I pretty much read everything you wrote there, though you didn't write episode 39 it answered my questions and you are totally right! good job! and I love that link!!! it's so awesome!!!!!!
Old 2007-12-23, 22:29   Link #59
Stephanie

Quote:
Oh yeah, and for the add, here's Chiho Sato (Utena Manga and Art) made about "probably" Anthy and Utena in the future after the series: SPOILER (Do not look if you haven't finished Utena)
And, of course, wouldn't you think Anthy died with the 10,000 swords piercing through her? In my opinion, Utena didn't die.. And the link would probably take out that numbness feeling inside you n_n

I wanna talk about what "THE ROSE" means, I wanna have a discussion about it..

Here's what I believe it could have meant:

"What the Rose Means"

I haven't really given much thought about finding this one out, but lilgumba made a wallpaper, and when I saw it.. "BOOM!!" right in the face! (well, I'm not sure if this subject has been talked about, but so far I haven't seen one )

Here's the wallpaper made by lilgumba:
*Click to Enlarge*

First of, look what I posted the meaning of Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku (Absolute Destiny: Apocalypse) in my last post.

As they ride the elevator, we see them dress in "their roles" as well..

Anyway, the reason I went back to this, I will relate both of this "Pre-Duel" theme with the "Rose" symbol I am talking about..

Anyway, if we go here: Watch this Video First, we can see some English Subs of their dance (UtenaxAnthy)

And the song starts with "this rose is our destiny", I believed the rose symbolizes their "destiny" or "roles" they put themselves in.. That is why when the rose has been removed in their duels, they loose..

"Because I've never forgotten our promise" as said in the song, I believed this reverts back to the episodes where Utena promised Anthy she will be "prince" to save Anthy from her torture..

Also, as they dance, their "roles" reflect themselves in the water, and in that water, we see the "roses"

Well, so in my conclusion, the rose symbolizes "destiny".. However, this are just my interpretations.. I could be wrong. Also, I was going to say something more, and I forgot! D8
Old 2007-12-23, 22:39   Link #60
Kumani
ガールズラブ

Yeah, I never thought of what the roses symbolizes but you sure have a better thought than me.

And just like you said, I thought so too when they were dancing, that their reflection on the water showed who they really were, their destiny.