AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-04, 00:48   Link #21
The Yellow Dwarf

Ah...thank you Takemi-san. That envy of Sei's is quite unexpected. It's kinda cute, but I figured a person like Sei would have figured out everything without even a moment of doubt. She just didn't strike me as that kind of person to ...well... be so uncertain of herself, I guess. But then again, I'm a guy, I see people through tinted glasses of wishful thinking. ::sigh::

Pyu, marimite's Chinese translation is "12 kingdoms"??? (Weird.)
Old 2004-08-04, 00:50   Link #22
aniforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemi_Ikazuchi
I recently read up to book 12. If you really want to pidgeon-hole everyone:

Sei: Unapologetically gay and continues being so.

Suguru: The most blatantly canon gay character

Shizuka: Is romantically attracted to Sei, but to be a fully flegded lesbian you have to be attracted to women in general. Not just one special case person. Too little data to conclude.

Yumi, Sachiko, Shimako, and [spoiler] : sexually confused

Rei: Gender identity crisis

Yoshino: Warped

Eriko: Straight and scatter brained

Youko: Youko is youko. No buts, whats or ifs.
hehehe that was funnie. rei gender identity crisis and yoshino warped. hehe. eh but you make youko so plain she has got to have something going on.
Old 2004-08-04, 00:55   Link #23
aniforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemi_Ikazuchi
...one more thing about Sei. Whenever she fools around with Yumi, she's only half fooling around.
eh so the other half of the time she's actually serious? ahh sei is so lucky she gets to fool around with girls and not get smack across the face. yup yup lucky.

Last edited by aniforever; 2004-08-04 at 01:06.
Old 2004-08-04, 01:00   Link #24
Mendietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dwarf
Pyu, marimite's Chinese translation is "12 kingdoms"??? (Weird.)
i think the 12 kingdoms being referred to is "juuni kokki" -a different series -ne?
Old 2004-08-04, 01:09   Link #25
aniforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendietta
i think the 12 kingdoms being referred to is "juuni kokki" -a different series -ne?
hmm i was thinking that. i think the "12 kingdoms" was only used as an example and was not meant as a translated version of marimite.
Old 2004-08-04, 02:39   Link #26
atua

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dwarf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanimoo
However, Sei could possibly be the most assertive, straightforward and confident "Rose" out of the bunch, which would make her look like the guy since those are the strong points expected from a man.
I wonder...Sachiko's onee-sama is similarly assertive, straightfoward and confident, though she is completely different. I wonder if there's some secret ingredient in the making of Sei...

Though you did say something I didn't want to say, which is that having masculine qualities doesn't necessarily make a person a man. And Sei is definitely a girl (duh) no matter how masculine she may or may not appear to some audience.
It's Sei's cock-sure swagger that has all the girls swooning.

Seriously though, post-Shiori Sei does come across as very self-confident and capable and these are traditionally viewed as masculine traits. Sei's self perception is no longer based on what other people think or say about her (markedly different from her kindergarten and pre-Shiori self). Another reason Sei might seem more masculine is the fact that she's the only one of the Yamayurikai to use "male" terms like kimi.

You're make an interesting point that Youko has much of the same qualities, and yet seems more "feminine". She isn't as cocky as Sei and nor as playful or as much of a tease as Sei either, so maybe that's the difference...
Old 2008-02-09, 02:05   Link #27
loli-shota boy

Satou Sei huh? Well, I'll give comment about her

In Shiroki Hanabira, Sei is a very closed person. She's quite socially withdrawn, never interested to anything, and feel incomplete about herself. She also looked not enjoying the Yamayurikai Club activites. But then, she met Shiori and she understood that Shiori is half of her incomplete soul, vice versa

It's very obvious that Sei is a lesbian. Take a look at her reaction when she was at the green house with Shiori and also their kiss. It's quite obvious, don't you think?
And also when she was with Yumi, alone or not, she always hugged her and teased her. I think I've already saw that Sei kissed Yumi on her cheek (which I think very cute)

But although she's gay, I don't hate her. I also like her because when she loves someone, she will love them in anyway she can. Not everyone can give love like Sei.
I LOVE YOU, SEI-SAMA!!!
Old 2008-02-09, 18:59   Link #28
Naja_Raja

Haha, I loved that whole part about the earthworms. It made me laugh. I absolutely love Sei. Forest of Thorns: novel, manga, and anime made me cry. I cried three different times reading it, the bastards! I shake my fist at them! Seriously, to me she seems more real than any other character in the series. Why? Why do I have to do what everyone else does? Why do I have to smile? etc. etc.

And I hope you wouldn't hate her for being gay.
Old 2008-02-13, 03:58   Link #29
Sukoshi
気紛れな風

I don't think there's any dispute here. In the novels, (pulling this out of my head either from when I read the novel or when I read its translation before, but in any case), when Sei is trying to make sense of Shiori, she goes back and reads some books about love and reproduction, and she feels a disconnect with them because they all talk about loving the opposite sex because of the human urge to make kids.

Sei is also the most popular character of the series by far, among both Japanese fans and foreign fans. I like her because she went through a phase which most people either fail to acknowledge, or just write off as "a teenage thing". And by phase I don't mean her love for Shiori, but her disillusionment with everything and everyone around her.
Old 2008-02-24, 20:33   Link #30
Momo Chan
Fate is Nanoha's bish.

Sei is teh Hawtness. That's all there is to it.

Why would you debate whether Sei's a lesbian or not? She and Shiori loved each other that way. And if they kiss mouth-to-mouth, doesn't that mean something? Very close friends don't do that. Not from what I've seen, anyway
Old 2008-02-26, 02:51   Link #31
loli-shota boy

Hehehehe... It's nice to read your opinion. And for you Sukoshi, it's true that among the other characters, Sei is the most realistic character. She had many bad experiences in her life, then her transformation from loner to out-going person, It's really nice!!!
Old 2008-05-07, 13:13   Link #32
shshshsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniforever View Post
hehe i voted for sei. she's the best and without her where would the entertainment come from.
I agree!! I love her!!^^;

I think not all who voted for Sei in the poll, is gay or a lesbian. It's just that she's a good character. and they like her for that.

and yeah, I think so too, I think she's a lesbian. It's really obvious even if they didn't point it out clearly, you can see it in her actions and her past (about shiori).

Momo chan: haha you're right!! my sweet friends just kiss me on cheeks. and not on the lips. haha^_^

Last edited by shshshsh; 2008-05-08 at 10:31.
Old 2008-05-07, 19:40   Link #33
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei's Cookies View Post
Isn't Sei lesbian?
It always seemed quite obvious to me.

Quote:
For the most point, Shiori and Sei's relationship, I mostly hear that its just a really -deep- friendship. But nothing more....
Spoiler for Sei and Shiori:

Seems like more than just friendship (no matter how deep) to me.

Quote:
Or is she in fact NOT gay?
Spoiler for Sei and Shizuka:

She seems pretty "out" again, here, with Rosa Canina. She is certainly not gay for Shimako or Yumi (not really) but Sei does seem to have something of a track record with other girls.
Old 2008-05-08, 12:34   Link #34
maximilianjenus
[E]

I think she likes yumi but is taking one step back becasue she knows yumi is all gaga about sachiko.
Old 2008-05-10, 16:26   Link #35
Slick_rick

Sei is pretty gay. I remember a line in the book, taken out of anime, where Sei says to Shimako that she'll kiss her or do anything else she wants. The books have her flirting with a Miko girl and going around fixing underclassman uniforms. I think she also has the major hots for Yumi. She's always has a nice attitude towards all women in the books but Yumi the only one you see her unable to keep her hands off. During the kiss scene between them in the books Sei gave a complicated look when Yumi grabbed her hand and the reason Yumi backed away was the serious look in Sei face when she went to kiss her. The anime portrays this as just more Sei teasing though.
Old 2008-06-14, 00:26   Link #36
Stephanie
You can reach for my hand

Send a message via Yahoo to Stephanie
^To settle the arguement whether Sei is gay or not, during the 4th OVA (supposedly the same time, but only focused on Sachiko and Yumi)

Sei, Kei and Eriko met in the cafeteria. Mind you, this is not a spoiler, but it was "skipped" Eriko was asking advice about the elephant man from Sei, and Sei said, "Sorry, I'm only interested in women."

I think that settles it n_n

And as for Sei being happy-go-luck, Sukoshi mentioned before that Sei seems to be irritated at Yumi first when Yumi entered the scene. (As said in novels) It was also seen in the anime, when Sei asked Yumi to dance with her. She knew the other girls would bare jealousy to Yumi, as it was seen she getting the Yamayurikai's attention. (In Novel, the reason Yumi broke down to tears is because everyone was REALLY gossiping about her, giving her stares and all, she couldn't take it)

But, I believe Sei was just jealous of Yumi for being "an ordinary girl, but yet so lively and happy." Comedians, as I said time and again, are really lonely and serious people. They try to make others laugh to make themselves feel more happy and have a sense living for the while.
Old 2008-06-14, 05:36   Link #37
Stahlwolf
Doujinshi Traffiker

Location: The Drought-ridden Atlanta fending off water pirates
Send a message via AIM to Stahlwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Sei, Kei and Eriko met in the cafeteria. Mind you, this is not a spoiler, but it was "skipped" Eriko was asking advice about the elephant man from Sei, and Sei said, "Sorry, I'm only interested in women."
Hmm-

I guess the translation is based on whose site you've been reading.
According to Erica Friedman's site http://okazu.blogspot.com/2007/02/no...miteru_22.html the translation is as follows:

"Stop," Sei interrupted. "Because, there's no way I can offer advice on a love affair between a man and a woman, you know."

Which also entails that Eriko knows about Sei's attraction to other women.

Either way, it still leaves Youko pining for Sei.

-Poor Youko.
Old 2008-06-14, 12:04   Link #38
Neku
yare yare..

Sei is gay; that's obvious.
In fact, that's why I like her.
I think she fleshes out the genre "yuri". Not saying that the anime itself isn't doing its job, just that Sei ...is just Sei. She's awesome.

I feel sorry for Youko though.
Old 2009-02-17, 10:30   Link #39
karloring

Quote:
Yumi, Sachiko, Shimako, and [spoiler] : sexually confused
shimako confused? i do hope so... settle your confusion and just be with sei already lol
*fanfiction world*
lol
i would rather shimako stay single than be with noriko... not that i dun like her just that i'm bias lol <3 SEI!!!!
lol
Old 2009-02-18, 02:30   Link #40
shomai
Doujinshi arteeeest :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by karloring View Post
shimako confused? i do hope so... settle your confusion and just be with sei already lol
*fanfiction world*
lol
i would rather shimako stay single than be with noriko... not that i dun like her just that i'm bias lol <3 SEI!!!!
lol
Aw, man....I was just in SeixShimako world a couple of minutes ago!