AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-09, 09:42   Link #281
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Now that was one catch OP song which really got me in the mood to watch the first episode. I felt it move along quite well didnt jump into the action quickly and gave us a quick glance around the world to see how post apocalyptic it is with the waters rising. The animation was nice fluid if you ask me and it was interesting seeing how people live in that day and age. Boomerangs as weapons is pretty intriguing especially how she stops the big one with her foot but missed the last time LOL.
I also thought the concept of how CO2 impacts this world and how their stock market revolves around it. Obvious to keep the waters from raising anymore there is a limit how much you can pump out.

I will be following this one closely im liking what im seeing so far. Im interested in the meat of the story.
Old 2009-04-09, 12:51   Link #282
itisjustme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomandaris View Post
What Episode 1 hints at interests me, but I'm also wary because an over-ambitious series risks leaving too much unexplained, which is a real letdown.
Off topic but, is that a reference to Erikson's Malazan? =P (I assume that's where you got your name from)

As to the series, it looks promising and daring, especially in this season ripe with
sequels/rehashes/game adaptations. Art is great and lush. Narrative was smoother and more professional than a lot of the stuff I've this season so far, except that slightly contrived carbon market exposition in the middle (plus I hate loli voices). I liked the character designs and had no issue with the animation. Intriguing concept.

This definitely got potential.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 18:19   Link #283
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I really liked the first episode, then again, I agree with the Neal Stephenson quote. I like my fantasy worlds being very different from this one and this show has a lot of potential to be really different. And I do like the basic scenario of "the Kyoto protocols gone bad."
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 14:03   Link #284
Anomandaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
Off topic but, is that a reference to Erikson's Malazan? =P (I assume that's where you got your name from)
Yes, I'm a big Steven Erikson fan. My comment was not referring to his series though ... I think what SE leaves unexplained adds to the mystique of his characters and setting, it's almost like lack of explanation done right. Plus, I also take into consideration that there's plot material SE is deliberately leaving for Ian Cameron Esslemont to fill in.
Anomandaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 01:12   Link #285
NakedAngelX

Interesting show, carbonist eh? Maybe it will become the world wide currency haha.

Spoiler for Ep 1:

Definitely will keep an eye on the show
Old 2009-04-11, 01:38   Link #286
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

that's why it is bad for little girl to control the world, thery are usually psycho
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 17:07   Link #287
sirn
田舎者言うな

Shangri-La episode #02

Spoiler for The animation quality:
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 18:03   Link #288
v1cious

episode 2 is under members status? way to kill the series Crunchyroll.
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 20:26   Link #289
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
Just hope it won’t turn into another Dragonaut
Personally speaking, based on the premise, world building/setting, design/story elements and relative sophistication I doubt that could happen.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-04-12 at 20:36.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 20:58   Link #290
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
Shangri-La episode #02

Spoiler for The animation quality:

sure its not at the same level of ep1 animation wise but, but it was acceptable,
and the story\characters thus far are interesting so even with shitty animation this will still be good.
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 22:04   Link #291
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
sure its not at the same level of ep1 animation wise but, but it was acceptable
Agreed, just watched the CR stream, this was fine, the characters still looked like their models unlike in a lot of shows and some other Gonzo eps (like that one infamous ep of the otherwise gorgeous Samurai 7), the CG was still just as good, and there was absolutely no change in the still stunning background art (IMO).

Loved the new music during their expedition into the forest (and the new chase piece), why does it feel like I'm going to love the whole soundtrack lol. Gotta love the protective and restrictive "fat suits," the design is pretty neat. I really like how they've built/drawn all sorts of equipment and clothing styles.

Backgrounds are still freaking gorgeously drawn.

Quote:
and the story\characters thus far are interesting so even with shitty animation this will still be good.
Yeah, even if the animation were to get actually shitty which it hasn't, it looks to have the story/characters angle too.

I hope this is not going to be short and that it will at least be in the 24-26 range especially with a "world expanding" and investigation episode like this as the scale of the show has a lot of potential, there's a lot going on, and there's a pretty large cast to develop.

Spoiler:

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-04-13 at 02:52.
Old 2009-04-13, 02:55   Link #292
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Personally speaking, based on the premise, world building/setting, design/story elements and relative sophistication I doubt that could happen.
I know what you mean, but what I’m talking about is the animation quality. Just have an unease feeling since this is only the second episode, and it can get this bad. Okay, overall in the episode still look okay, but it’s not a good trend to see.

Quote:
sure its not at the same level of ep1 animation wise but, but it was acceptable,
Yes, it’s still in my tolerance level. I just put my expectations too high, thus the disappointment.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 04:36   Link #293
Ash Falls Town

Very interesting look at the factions which were only hinted at in the first episode.
None of them are wholly sympathetic which I tend to dislike but this show might pull it off.
When push comes to shove even rebels jump at the chance to join the privileged.

Anyway the forests look nice and I found the Ferrari joke funny but it's annoying how they keep referencing the characters transwhatevered nature. We can obviously see that that is how they are without being reminded every second. Anyway the fat one getting "promoted" means they (singular they FTW) might actually become relevant.
BTW MAL at least says it's going to be 24 episodes so it should have enough time to flesh the world out.
Old 2009-04-13, 12:19   Link #294
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Falls Town View Post
Very interesting look at the factions which were only hinted at in the first episode.
None of them are wholly sympathetic which I tend to dislike but this show might pull it off.
When push comes to shove even rebels jump at the chance to join the privileged.

Anyway the forests look nice and I found the Ferrari joke funny but it's annoying how they keep referencing the characters transwhatevered nature. We can obviously see that that is how they are without being reminded every second. Anyway the fat one getting "promoted" means they (singular they FTW) might actually become relevant.
BTW MAL at least says it's going to be 24 episodes so it should have enough time to flesh the world out.
Agreed, the look at the factions was very interesting with some genuine surprises. I expected a somewhat different Mikuni faction so I'm quite curious where that's going to go and despite how greedy she is which is leading her to treat that Medusa creature badly Karin's potentially a sympathetic figure since twice now her scenes have ended with a sympathetic moment. Good point about the rebels, I think that's pretty realistic.

Well Momoko was already relevant so I guess it's actually a plural they now lol It's actually interesting having the potential of the parent figure as a main character out in the field with the lead, I can't think of many series that have done that. At the moment I can only think of the Zone of the Enders anime with the father.

Yeah, the other one buying Ferrari was funny LOL.

Should be our first look inside general Atlas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Falls Town View Post
Thank goodness, that will be good news! With the amount of simultaneous plotlines, mysteries, size of the cast and not particularly rushed second episode that took the time to slowly expand things out, it doesn't feel like a short series (12-13) at all.
Old 2009-04-14, 00:12   Link #295
NakedAngelX

Spoiler for Ep 2:

And only 12 episodes? Feels so short T.T, hope there's enough contents for more
Old 2009-04-14, 06:59   Link #296
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
my best guess is that medusa is some kind of AI, could be an AI that was meant to manager carbon emission, but not sure about that part.

it would seem that they are causing the AI to control the carbon market by having it connect and move carbon credits from one place to the other.
as the AI seems to be "afraid"(as in, doesn't want to) of the carbon.
the animation are but a visualization of the AI's actions which i guess were created by them to have a visual feedback on its status.

also read carefuly, they said its gonna be 24 episodes.
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 13:52   Link #297
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedAngelX View Post
Spoiler for Ep 2:
Are you talking about Mi-ko? We already knew he/she was like that from ep 1.

Kuniko's grandmother is the older lady we met briefly in episode 1 telling her about Metal-Age, she's also the current leader.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-04-14 at 18:01.
Old 2009-04-14, 20:07   Link #298
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Show still hasn't quite hooked me, but I guess its done enough of a job since I'm not feeling that need to drop it and actually looking forward to some kindof overall plot to form here...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 22:40   Link #299
v1cious

so far i have no problem with this show. the setting is so unique, that it's kept me interested enough to keep following it. the only major complaint i have so far is the annoying trannie.
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 20:14   Link #300
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1cious View Post
so far i have no problem with this show. the setting is so unique, that it's kept me interested enough to keep following it. the only major complaint i have so far is the annoying trannie.
the fat one or the skinnier one, they both present a unique shock to me
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gonzo, science fiction