AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 11 20.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 13.21%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 26.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 11.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 13.21%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 13.21%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.89%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-05, 06:28   Link #81
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
You guys are being too harsh with this story arc. Stop crying over no Liberal Arts SS arc and deal with this filler.
Or rather, aren't you guys are being too lenient with this story arc?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 07:26   Link #82
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Because it's filler. We know that it's not gonna be as great as the Sisters Arc, so there is no point in pointing out how it sucks compared to the Sisters Arc. Just enjoy the ride.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 07:37   Link #83
Shadrala
Level 5 Railgun Stalker

Quote:
Just enjoy the ride.
This.
Thank you.

Shadrala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 13:08   Link #84
SilverTalon

Quote:
You guys are being too harsh with this story arc. Stop crying over no Liberal Arts SS arc and deal with this filler.

I have to wonder why they needed data from Meltdowner for their plans to proceed. However, they may be working on a machine that does not work on electricity or something like that. Maybe using machines like puppets on a string? (see Febri in the OP). Also, there maybe a connection between her candy and that fever — be x minutes without that candy and she enters a critical state or something?

Well, there are still four episodes to expand more on their plans.
Its hard to not be at least a little disappointed when they had material and time to do the SS which also met the requirement of the other railgun girls having decent screen time to make up for the sisters arc. I'm going to wait to complain until this is over though because it could end up alright.

We know they are working on some kind of purple tube (or is it a rectangular prism?) that powers and can be used to control robots which must function in some non standard way or Mikoto would have been able to hack it for control. I hope that isn't their end game though... for all their talking about showing the espers with the most power are actually weak, if they try to beat the level 5s with security robots that will be lame. We don't really know Febri's purpose yet though, but I think theres a good chance we will learn of that angle next episode.
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 15:50   Link #85
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTalon View Post
Its hard to not be at least a little disappointed when they had material and time to do the SS which also met the requirement of the other railgun girls having decent screen time to make up for the sisters arc. I'm going to wait to complain until this is over though because it could end up alright.

We know they are working on some kind of purple tube (or is it a rectangular prism?) that powers and can be used to control robots which must function in some non standard way or Mikoto would have been able to hack it for control. I hope that isn't their end game though... for all their talking about showing the espers with the most power are actually weak, if they try to beat the level 5s with security robots that will be lame. We don't really know Febri's purpose yet though, but I think theres a good chance we will learn of that angle next episode.
Actually as some observed from the op, the tube seems to simply contain Febli's hair. So they controlling the robots for now it's likely through Febli, or through the same thing they used to make her.
Old 2013-09-05, 19:35   Link #86
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Was there actually a guarantee that they would do the Liberal Arts SS instead of the Silent Party Filler Arc? The only thing that some would claim as "proof" is the vague references to the "large scale field trip" mentioned in Railgun S. But that's just that — in an anime-only viewer's perspective, that "large-scale field trip" may not actually be special, as schools often have multiple field trips and field trips are completely normal.

If Liberal Arts SS is to be slated for an adaptation, it should happen at the start of the third season, where a particular character's debut is actually relevant and is not a throwaway.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 20:17   Link #87
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrala View Post
This.
Thank you.
I disagree. Railgun S does not exist to be enjoyed.

Railgun S exists to be admired. This arc contributes to the world-building of raildex and it is all new material so why wouldn't it be exciting exactly?

I'm loving this arc. Sure it has some "filler" but in my point of view raildex pretty much has no filler at all. Everything matters somewhat in the large or small scheme of things so there are no pointless details.

We have a large vibrant world being animated. Fighting isn't the only way to do it.

I can't wait for the rest of this arc!
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 04:45   Link #88
AdmirerofSatenRuiko

This episode had somewhat poor character design, and it I feels the characters and slice-of-life elements (even the fanservice) are less well managed compared to S1, improving though. Possibly not doing the Sisters arc and staying true to S1 from the very beginning would have helped. I mean episode 1 was incredibly good. The Sisters arc distorted the basis of Railgun, and its negative effects are yet to vanish completely.
Still, I find the new arc fully enjoyable with a nice feeling to it. I can feel that the creators are trying to find their way back to the original path. Febri was lovely as always, the way she calls certain girls is so cute: Uiha, Wanna, Atsuki:3 I'm sure everyone will continue to treat hear as human being.
AdmirerofSatenRuiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 09:49   Link #89
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Because it's filler. We know that it's not gonna be as great as the Sisters Arc, so there is no point in pointing out how it sucks compared to the Sisters Arc. Just enjoy the ride.
That doesn't make any sense. Why should we not expect quality just because it's filler? There's no law saying filler have to be bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerofSatenRuiko View Post
This episode had somewhat poor character design, and it I feels the characters and slice-of-life elements (even the fanservice) are less well managed compared to S1, improving though. Possibly not doing the Sisters arc and staying true to S1 from the very beginning would have helped. I mean episode 1 was incredibly good. The Sisters arc distorted the basis of Railgun, and its negative effects are yet to vanish completely.
You can't not do the Sisters arc. The Sisters arc is the core of Railgun. Not only would the series not exist without it (Misaka became so popular after her role in it) but so much of Misaka's motivations, and future storylines revolves around the events of the arc.
Old 2013-09-06, 12:40   Link #90
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
You can't not do the Sisters arc. The Sisters arc is the core of Railgun. Not only would the series not exist without it (Misaka became so popular after her role in it) but so much of Misaka's motivations, and future storylines revolves around the events of the arc.
No point. I understand there's an opinion, but to completely do away with the canon on the basis of what Toaru is known for is a little bit absurd.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 12:58   Link #91
SilverTalon

Quote:
Was there actually a guarantee that they would do the Liberal Arts SS instead of the Silent Party Filler Arc? The only thing that some would claim as "proof" is the vague references to the "large scale field trip" mentioned in Railgun S. But that's just that — in an anime-only viewer's perspective, that "large-scale field trip" may not actually be special, as schools often have multiple field trips and field trips are completely normal.

If Liberal Arts SS is to be slated for an adaptation, it should happen at the start of the third season, where a particular character's debut is actually relevant and is not a throwaway.
That wasn't just any large scale field trip, it was the same name as the field trip they went to LA City for (named like a specific event, can't remember what it was off hand though). I'm not sure why they'd mention it if they intend to permanently skip it. There was never a guarantee it would be in this season though and I'm pretty sure the Febli arc is taking place chronologically before the trip. Maybe they are going to lead the 3rd season with it? They did introduce Misaki and her arc isn't in this season and she was even introduced out of order.

Also because of that character, if they plan to do the next manga arc, they do need to do LA City to introduce her and how she connects to that person. So I don't think they're going to permanently skip over it.

Last edited by SilverTalon; 2013-09-06 at 13:09.
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 18:20   Link #92
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Still, I find the new arc fully enjoyable with a nice feeling to it. I can feel that the creators are trying to find their way back to the original path. Febri was lovely as always, the way she calls certain girls is so cute: Uiha, Wanna, Atsuki:3 I'm sure everyone will continue to treat hear as human being.
So I argue railgun has 2 aspects: the cute lives of a few groups of girls, but also how their friendships break apart when they face the true terrors of the dystopia that they live in. Both aspects exist, so both are necessary. You can say fine maybe they should have done another arc other than the sisters arc, but the point is that was an excellent way to portray an introduction to the viewers of how dark the city can be. Think of other "slice of life" shows that end up being dark and depressing it's a similar thing.

I really want to point out one more thing though. The true world AC is based on is more like season II. When you are happy and ignorant of the truth and what is really going on you have season I. It isn't exactly like this shouldn't have happened given how dark we've already seen AC can be.

First season was protect, second season was destroy. Third season will probably go even further following a natural progression, but we will have to see.
Old 2013-09-06, 19:06   Link #93
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Again I want to ask, for people who want to speculate about future anime content based on what they know about the manga, please go to the Spoiler & Speculation thread. Such conversations don't really belong here.
Old 2013-09-06, 22:35   Link #94
AdmirerofSatenRuiko

Minasan, suppose one thinks of the anime original (including the expanded Level Upper Arc) Railgun as core, not of Kamachi's world, and compares everything to that feeling. Sisters arc was way too depressive, had only 1 heroine, so felt completely out-of-place. Now it becomes an utterly illogical choice to adapt that arc, plus it means showing what we already saw in Index, even if it's from a different point of view.
That's the way I see things.
Old 2013-09-06, 22:47   Link #95
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Except it's not.

The same characters all exist in the same Universe, in the same setting, in the same city and even the same timeline.

That means you cannot completely cut the connections, nor could people just do so for convenience sake.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-09-06 at 23:05.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 23:08   Link #96
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Again I want to ask, for people who want to speculate about future anime content based on what they know about the manga, please go to the Spoiler & Speculation thread. Such conversations don't really belong here.
I wasn't actually speculating; rather I was just trying to point out what I felt wasn't actually Railgun S betraying what Railgun was but rather adhering to it. I just added that part at the end to illustrate a trend. I wasn't actually trying to speculate Sorry!

@AdmirerOfSatenRuiko

In that case, I totally get where you are coming from. Then everything you are saying would be right. We are just making different assumptions that's all

But since it's Kamachi's series and because of what Chaos2frozen said, I feel the same way he does (well slightly). (I still like this arc though.)
Old 2013-09-06, 23:36   Link #97
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I wasn't actually speculating
I know -- I posted it after your post, but it was more directed to the conversation above yours.
Old 2013-09-07, 11:20   Link #98
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Minasan, suppose one thinks of the anime original (including the expanded Level Upper Arc) Railgun as core, not of Kamachi's world, and compares everything to that feeling. Sisters arc was way too depressive, had only 1 heroine, so felt completely out-of-place. Now it becomes an utterly illogical choice to adapt that arc, plus it means showing what we already saw in Index, even if it's from a different point of view.
That's the way I see things.
That's not a personal opinion matter though. Liking the anime original stuff more makes it your favorite part of the series. But you can't call it the core of the series just because you like it more.
Old 2013-09-07, 14:09   Link #99
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
That's not a personal opinion matter though. Liking the anime original stuff more makes it your favorite part of the series. But you can't call it the core of the series just because you like it more.
This is true
Old 2013-09-08, 09:07   Link #100
AdmirerofSatenRuiko

For me, the anime original Railgun is the core, that was the beginning and the version I wholeheartedly love. I think this whole issue is similar the the concept of one's "own personal reality". So it is indeed personal opinion matter.