AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

View Poll Results: Negima Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 0 0%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 3 50.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 1 16.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 16.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-13, 00:49   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Negima Episode 24 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Negima, Episode 24!

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Manga out of the anime thread.
    If you need to reply to someone with a reference to the Manga, either PM them or use clearly marked Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for Your title:
Old 2007-03-15, 02:40   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Meh... here's the screen caps and summary courtesy of Random Curiosity:
(megaspoilage, of course)
http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2007/03/14/negima-24/

As usual, lots of tiny fab moments but overall kind of meh for plot.
Old 2007-03-15, 03:38   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As usual, lots of tiny fab moments but overall kind of meh for plot.
Not that I think it'd change your "as usual" opinion, but, you know, did you even actually watch the episode? Have you watched the episodes leading up to it? Do you see now how the plot is connected? Would you like to expound on precisely which aspects were "tiny fab moments" and which were "meh for plot" in light of the episode and/or the overall story? Or is this just your "as usual" opinion because you didn't see anything on the blog to change your mind? I'm not trying to pick on you, but all I'm getting from you as it stands is one big blob of bitterness.
Old 2007-03-15, 04:01   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yes, I've been watching the raws ... and in general, the plot is about an inch deep. It was hardly any surprise who the Baron was or that Negi's little friend was instigating things. On the other hand, there have lots of delightful moments, particularly with Konoka and Setsuna... and Eva and Takamichi.

Its a decent pile of omake and postcards .. its not really great Shinbo as a whole and its not really great Negima as a whole. I'm not sure why its so hard for you to accept that as my opinion. Perhaps I should turn this around and ask why you're so convinced its great either as a Shinbo work or as a Negima alternative?

edit: I can usually find good things to say about most anime but there isn't anything wrong about opining where a series comes up short. If you're going to label that bitterness, go for it I suppose, but negative comment does not equal bitterness.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-03-15 at 04:19.
Old 2007-03-15, 04:04   Link #5
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I really don't find it a very good ep... and the previous comments about all the attention going to Hidamari Sketch feels very true to me. I do only find this episode to be about omake, as Vexx commented.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2007-03-15, 05:05   Link #6
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
yes, I've been watching the raws ...
Ah, I misunderstood, then. You commented here that you hadn't been downloading the raws, so I was confused. You also commented previously that you were going to wait for the subs. That's why I wondered what the basis for your opinion was, that's all.

Quote:
Its a decent pile of omake and postcards .. its not really great Shinbo as a whole and its not really great Negima as a whole. I'm not sure why its so hard for you to accept that as my opinion. Perhaps I should turn this around and ask why you're so convinced its great either as a Shinbo work or as a Negima alternative?
I've never claimed either, as I have no particular loyalty to the director or to the Negima franchise. "Great" or not (that's for history to decide), I simply find it a fun show to watch, full of humour and puns, neat camerawork and art direction, and featuring characters I already liked to begin with. So, I don't know... it "just works" for me. I don't expect it to work for everyone, of course. You have every right to not like it. The only thing that makes your opinion so hard to accept is its objective tone with a lack of objective arguments to support it. It's like I'm supposed to "just know" or something -- where's the "why"? Plus, if your overall feelings really haven't changed at all from episode to episode, it's like... well, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Isn't that folly? It's like you're just checking in to tell everyone "nothing's changed at all", which is why I'd wonder if you watched the episode. Anyway, simply put, I really just don't get it. Maybe I never will. I'm not trying to be offensive, but I'm hoping that you'll somehow make it clearer for me.
Old 2007-03-15, 13:10   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Right after that post, I was able to snatch the raws because I was at a universtiy in between judging at a debate tourney (i.e. I ran out of other things to download and they had a screaming pipe). So those posts were only correct at the time they were posted

I don't dislike the show enough to stop watching - as I keep pointing out, there are aspects to it that are charming. However, whether I approach it from a "Shinbo-worshipping" perspective or a "Negima-worshipping" perspective ... I feel shortchanged. Shinbo's work on other products (PPD, TMP, HS, etc) typically left me feeling exhilarated. I can't speak for other people but I get the impression they are generally liked/adored by most.
I'm not exhilarated after these episodes... though I'm sometimes amused. Reading through various forums, I sort the posters into these categories:
1) I hate Negima, but I like Shinbo -- this rocks.
2) I love Negima and this is heresy...
3) I love Negima and Shinbo rocks so I'm in some quantum state (I'm thinking Dorktower and Igor when he's evaluating LOTR vs PJ:LOTR)
4) I like Negima and Shinbo is cool .... but neither meme is being stoked here.

I'm one of the few in category 4 --- so most posters seem to react negatively to my comments.

As far as my "objective" tone... I'm not prefacing every sentence with (imo).. but then no one does consistently. I do try to provide supporting data or examples so that the post rises above the "XXXX rokks/suxx" however, I'm sure I can always improve. "300" is getting rather wretched reviews from the "usual critics" but the viewers seem to love it because it delivers exactly what it promises. Since Shinbo took on the task of an original story using pre-existing characters, he raised the bar himself on expectations. What I'm taking away from this series is a better sense of what he's good at and not so good at.
Old 2007-03-15, 14:13   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Since Shinbo took on the task of an original story using pre-existing characters, he raised the bar himself on expectations. What I'm taking away from this series is a better sense of what he's good at and not so good at.
See, this is the sort of statement I just find confusing from my perspective. Perhaps it stems from this "Shinbo-worshipping" thing, but why is the director shouldering all the blame here? How is it "Shinbo's fault" or an example of what he's "not so good at"? Can't he make a show that you don't like, but it still be good to him and/or the people who do like it? This also ties into the statements people make about Hidamari Sketch, where he's only a supervising director, and yet people say that "Shinbo's focusing there instead" (when that show has its own, seperate, dedicated/actual director). It's so... I don't know... it's like it's somehow "personal". Like he's not just a director, but somehow a god, and the sole arbitrator of whether they like or dislike the show. For other shows, people usually blame the writing, the series composition, the divergence from the manga, and all sorts of things, but here, many people point to Shinbo personally. I find this especially confusing because I really like the direction in this show, even if I might concede that the plot isn't terribly deep and involved (clearly not what they were going for).

Anyway, sign me up for Category 5: The original manga, the director's previous projects, and this project all have their good and bad points, and I like each for their own, different reasons. I don't feel in any way shortchanged by the show, because what it seems to be trying to do works for me. So who knows...
Old 2007-03-15, 14:35   Link #9
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
correct me if im wrong...but there are 26 eps in this series right?

well im contempt with this ep ~ quite frankly this series have been going down hill a few fillers back and this ep was a good way to gain some redemption ~
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-03-15, 14:51   Link #10
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I fall in number 6 category who will watch a show if it doesn't promise (or pretend) to have a story and makes its intention clear from the opening episodes. By episode 2, it was pretty clear that the show won't give a hoot about a feasible story. Of course, I won't rate this show higher than 7, but it doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed it someway. I can tolerate the limitation of this show because I was expecting it.

screencaps:

Old 2007-03-15, 19:30   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd say blame Shinbo himself for many people reacting that way??? He's a "star" in the field and every show he does he covers in his own special style from top to bottom. In interviews, he very much feels he's the guiding touch. Therefore it isn't much of a stretch to put responsibility on him (somewhat like Lucas and Star Wars or Jackson and LOTR).
Saying its a "Shinbo" show ... I guess you could say its a Shinbo+Shaft show but Shaft on its own really isn't the same.

I'd say class 4 and class 6 are close enough that they could be merged with some rewording.
Old 2007-03-16, 20:14   Link #12
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

I enjoyed this episode.

In a good way.
Old 2007-03-16, 21:38   Link #13
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
I enjoyed this episode.

In a good way.
Thats what we need, more people using the best quote ever. <3
Old 2007-03-17, 00:37   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh... ya'll do know that when Motsu says that..... its usually only entertaining for Motsu and bad for anyone else . His use of "... in a good way" reminds me of that infamous Chinese bless/curse "May you live in interesting times."
Old 2007-03-17, 01:59   Link #15
garra113
CaramellDansen!!!

Ok... the last 2 episodes 24 and 23 was the most randomisnt one i saw so far lol
Old 2007-03-22, 14:43   Link #16
Azure22
Magic Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Azure22
Well, while I have no idea what the hell is being said in the episode, I at least liked the last few sequences... Though I was hoping they'd show Eva's in her rare card mode...
Closed Thread