AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

View Poll Results: Accel World - Episode 24 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 59 51.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 24.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 18.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.88%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-25, 00:05   Link #141
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Y'know, what would be the simplest way to still have some memory of Haru, even if KYH lost BB?

Write it down in a goddamned diary. Brain Burst uninstall affects your mind, but doesn't affect something written down on pen and paper.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-09-25, 00:23   Link #142
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Y'know, what would be the simplest way to still have some memory of Haru, even if KYH lost BB?

Write it down in a goddamned diary. Brain Burst uninstall affects your mind, but doesn't affect something written down on pen and paper.
Well, sure, but I imagine it'd be like you were reading about someone else in the third person, even if you recognize that it's your own "voice". It'd definitely be weird anyway. And feelings aren't so easily recovered, because they're usually at least partly a function of circumstance. That said, the more connection she has to him outside the context of Brain Burst, the better, I suppose.

On a totally unrelated note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
once you go Snow Black you never go back.
Gotta admit; this got a good laugh out of me.
Old 2012-09-25, 00:26   Link #143
judasmartel
*Author

But if KYH is known to keep a diary, then yeah. She may not remember anything about BB if that happens, but at least there's a written record on something.
Old 2012-09-25, 01:20   Link #144
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, sure, but I imagine it'd be like you were reading about someone else in the third person, even if you recognize that it's your own "voice". It'd definitely be weird anyway. And feelings aren't so easily recovered, because they're usually at least partly a function of circumstance. That said, the more connection she has to him outside the context of Brain Burst, the better, I suppose.
I agree, but at least it's something. I'm reminded of a conversation about this in Front Mission 5; male lead is conversing with female lead, who is suffering from partial memory loss and thus has a wall of photos of her friends and troops so she won't forget them. (That's before getting into the stalker shrine she has of him. )

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-09-25, 01:40   Link #145
Krono

Quote:

That would be the simplest way, though the first question is have any of them even seen real pens and paper? They've grown up wearing a neurolinking computer that lets them write in mid air as though it were paper, using it to leave messages, and so forth. "Write it all down physically" is probably not their first thought for "ways to preserve a record for if/when BB is uninstalled."
Old 2012-09-25, 01:59   Link #146
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

For me, I committed the unforgivable sin of growing up in a jungle in the middle of nowhere, without access to all these fancy toys, hence why I lean for simpler solutions.

You raise a good pont though - I can't recall seeing any pens or notebooks in this series.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-09-25, 09:19   Link #147
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The one thing a lot of people seem to be forgetting is that she fell in love with Haru not for his appearance or even his personality, but because of his high potential in the game.
I can almost believe that KYH felt an attraction towards Haru for his potential in the game but I don't buy that she was so madly in love with him as to risk her life to save him from the speeding car. People with a higher threshold for suspension of disbelief than myself will accept it. I don't, sorry.
Despite that, I grew attached to KYH over the course of the series and I really think she is awesome. It's just that the romance scenes between her and Porky don't work for me.

Quote:
I mean some places I've been to this show is apparently unrelentingly terrible because it features "asspulls" (possibly the weirdest most arbitrary charge I've consistently seen leveled against anime shows)
IMHO an "asspull" is when the author breaks the rules he himself established for his own world without a reasonable explanation.
An example in AW is in the Okinawa arc. A huge issue in AW is that when a Burst Linker loses all her points she loses all the memories of BB and she can't login anymore. Except that Megumi was able to login one last time to help Lotus. Literally, she came, worked her magic and went away. That was a deus-ex-machina if I ever saw one.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2012-09-25, 09:47   Link #148
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I can almost believe that KYH felt an attraction towards Haru for his potential in the game but I don't buy that she was so madly in love with him as to risk her life to save him from the speeding car. People with a higher threshold for suspension of disbelief than myself will accept it. I don't, sorry.
Despite that, I grew attached to KYH over the course of the series and I really think she is awesome. It's just that the romance scenes between her and Porky don't work for me.
I don't know in her case I believe it. She seems to love making these big gestures of her devotion to him and has a habit of doing them in ways that provoke attention. For example she set the whole thing up where he came to meet her in the lounge in front of everybody and then proceeded to cable with him. She also stepped in the way of Araya's punch just so that she'd get hit too and enhance the impact of the scene. Another example would be her travelling 15 hours to get to the scene of the battle royal and then openly admit that she overdid it afterward almosy coyly. Also at that time Haru really didn't trust her at all yet so she seemed to figure that she needed to make a big gesture to show she was serious and when that opportunity presented itself....well as I said in her case given how hardcore she can be about things and how she doesn't seem to have much regard for her own personal safety it's not to hard to believe.

Quote:
IMHO an "asspull" is when the author breaks the rules he himself established for his own world without a reasonable explanation.
An example in AW is in the Okinawa arc. A huge issue in AW is that when a Burst Linker loses all her points she loses all the memories of BB and she can't login anymore. Except that Megumi was able to login one last time to help Lotus. Literally, she came, worked her magic and went away. That was a deus-ex-machina if I ever saw one.
Yeah that one definitely was weird. Both the AW and SAO side arcs kind of have the feeling of being less well structured and operating outside the rules of what was established in the main arcs at times I will admit.
Old 2012-09-25, 09:54   Link #149
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
That would be the simplest way, though the first question is have any of them even seen real pens and paper? They've grown up wearing a neurolinking computer that lets them write in mid air as though it were paper, using it to leave messages, and so forth. "Write it all down physically" is probably not their first thought for "ways to preserve a record for if/when BB is uninstalled."
Quote:
For me, I committed the unforgivable sin of growing up in a jungle in the middle of nowhere, without access to all these fancy toys, hence why I lean for simpler solutions.

You raise a good pont though - I can't recall seeing any pens or notebooks in this series.
I know that this series takes place 30 years into the future, but I doubt physical writing instruments will ever truly go away. In fact, I know many professionals that still use wood #2 pencils (myself included) despite the plethora of neat, technical writing instruments available today.

I agree with both of you. Writing it down physically seems to be the best solution for preserving memories that might be erased. However, I also agree that most of the kids in the show most likely have never even thought about that.

Endless "Old school" Soul
Old 2012-09-25, 12:00   Link #150
Trajan
Six Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
If you go back to that scene, it was more about KYH taking responsibility for her actions and less"I love you and will die for you Haru!" KYH felt responsible for getting them in that situation in the first place (she had been the one who escalated the situation with Araya and got him expelled). Before she pushes Haru out the way, she says "Forgive me, I caused all this." She does admit that she loves him, but in a "final words" kind of way, after telling Haru that this was all her fault.

Quote:

I'm just waiting for the scene where Nomi discovers his cameras: "Why do I have video of the girls' locker room?"
Old 2012-09-25, 12:57   Link #151
Zeriand
Banned

And she has an affection for fat guys from the beginning. Haru just happen to be her fat guy. <3
Old 2012-09-25, 13:42   Link #152
Lycodrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriand View Post
And she has an affection for fat guys from the beginning. Haru just happen to be her fat guy. <3
Stop.
For whatever reason you dislike Haru, just stop. Leave it to social groups.

Especially with, in all essence, calling KYH a slut or something similar. :/
Old 2012-09-25, 14:08   Link #153
Zeriand
Banned

Wait, what? I'm being very serious here. KYH DOES have the hots for fat guys - uh, that's probably not stated in the anime, is it? But yes. I'm not joking or trying to smear mud or anything negative. Actually, what the heck, everyone has their own preferences and what makes you think that liking fat guys is automatically bad?
Old 2012-09-25, 14:41   Link #154
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

It isn't stated anywhere, as KYH put it herself, Haruyuki is her first love. She wasn't "in to" anything before him.
Old 2012-09-25, 15:13   Link #155
Lycodrake

...the automatic assumption that people seem to constantly be having: that KYH has a "fat fetish" which is the only reason why she goes for Haru, annoys and aggravates me to no end.

She does not have a "thing" for fat guys.

She has not loved anyone else in the way she loves Haru. She doesn't care about his appearance; she values his personality and character above that sort of thing.
Minimizing that basically turns their relationship into a purely shallow, superficial one. Which it definitely isn't.
Old 2012-09-25, 15:39   Link #156
Zeriand
Banned

Probably me misunderstanding something, but I did find out (and confirmed, since I have the entire Chinese translated novel in my storage) that she regards 'fat' as just something cute, but does not add more to that. I might have gone too far as to tie it with her personal preferences, which might not be the case, so my mistake there, sorry.

However, I believe that external appearances is just about as important as the personality and character. I'd like to believe that she loves both his personality AND his external looks.

And also, the reason she first fell in love with him was because of his brain speed, his ability. That counts the same value as 'external appearances' in my opinion. She doesn't know his personality or character before that. It was after she get to know him more that she came to truly love him as a person.

In fact, I don't understand why loving a person for their external appearances first turns the relationship shallow and superficial. All relationships start out that way. I'd say her love for him at the beginning was just as shallow and superficial as the ones who seek out each other just because they're handsome or hot. It was just a form of liking. It was only until later when they get to know each other better that the 'like' truly turned into love.
Old 2012-09-25, 16:03   Link #157
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I know that this series takes place 30 years into the future, but I doubt physical writing instruments will ever truly go away. In fact, I know many professionals that still use wood #2 pencils (myself included) despite the plethora of neat, technical writing instruments available today.
Well yeah, I'm certain they're still around. It's just that given the level of integration of neurolinkers we see, physical writing materials like pens, pencils, and paper likely don't regularly see use in schools, a lot of stores that carry them in this day and age likely don't bother stocking them any more in the time of Accel World, and so forth. They've likely been relegated to art classes at best in the school setting. Even for learning to write, it's probably more likely to use a stylus and VR programs than for the expense and mess of pen and paper.

So for them, they may never have seen - in person - pen and paper outside of the context of an art class, much less the sorts of notebooks one would use as a diary.

And of course keeping a physical diary still carries the age old threat of someone reading it when they aren't supposed to. Imagine a 9 or 11 year old trying to explain to his parents his diary entries about his Brain Burst activities. Especially if they don't like what they found.
Old 2012-09-25, 16:40   Link #158
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post

I agree with both of you. Writing it down physically seems to be the best solution for preserving memories that might be erased. However, I also agree that most of the kids in the show most likely have never even thought about that.

Endless "Old school" Soul
More like Endless Insane Soul imo

I mean, there's some things that I can understand being oldschool with, but pencils... ugggh. I hate the scratchy noises those things make and the overall feel of them. Give me a smooth, graceful pen any day.

And I think I actually maintain things equally well whether I record something via a pen, pencil, or keyboard. The only sense that pencils make the memory strong for me is in the sense of "Hey I remember writing this because of the scratchy sounds and unpleasant texture of the pencil tips, man pencils sure do suck ass."
Old 2012-09-25, 22:36   Link #159
Orange Duke
オレンジ色の王
*Author

So the diary Haru partially read while KYH was in intensive care was written with blood on human skin?
Old 2012-09-27, 06:55   Link #160
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
KYH took an interest in Haru because of his considerable skill as a gamer.

KYH fell in love with Haru because of certain aspects of Haru's personality. Even by the time of her throwing herself in front of a car for him, these aspects of Haru's personality had been made clear to her. It's easy to forget this, but KYH is one of those "Student Celebrities" that you see so much of in anime. And I find in anime that a surefire way to win over a "Student Celebrity" is by being totally non-pretentious and basically not acting like an insane fanboy/fangirl around them (and honestly, this makes some sense to me - real life celebrities often grow tried of people swooning crazily over them, and tend to really appreciate the company of everyday people that treat them as another human being). So much of what caused Haru to win over KYH was his complete sincerity with her, and him treating her with genuine caring and respect (rather than overbearing fanboying).

It's probably true that KYH finds Haru's physical appearance cute - From KYH's perspective, he probably looks a bit like a big, fluffy, stuffed toy. I can see somebody going for that (especially in a culture that emphasizes cuteness as much as Japan's does).

But I doubt that's the main reason why KYH took a liking to Haru. I mean, if Haru looked like Taku, KYH would probably still love him for his gaming abilities and personality.