AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-04-22, 04:57   Link #21
wao
OK.

I just watched it.

Whoever is reading this and is wondering whether to watch it or not, do yourself a favour and watch it.

Definitely, I would give it a 9/10 even if I was being really strict.

I don't even know where to start listing what I like about the movie. I think there's no need for me to say it. This isn't even the kind of story that I am typically a big fan of but I ended up liking it so, so much.

I can see some people would not like the certain revelation that happens later on. But well, personally (don't come hitting me for this), I liked this a lot more than Byousoku 5 Centimetres.

I'm going to beg my brother to get me the DVD of this.

EDIT: I should calm down...
Old 2007-04-22, 05:18   Link #22
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

i think i ll wait for the sub

eventhough i m itching to just grab the raw and spoil myself silly
Old 2007-04-22, 05:53   Link #23
Katapan
俺様祭り

You sure made me look forward to seeing this now, wao.

Will I be able to wait until its theatrical release in France?... Sigh, no precise date yet, it's still stuck on a "summer" release. I suppose I should at least be glad that it's even coming here...
Old 2007-04-22, 06:40   Link #24
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I just watched it.

Whoever is reading this and is wondering whether to watch it or not, do yourself a favour and watch it.

Definitely, I would give it a 9/10 even if I was being really strict.

I don't even know where to start listing what I like about the movie. I think there's no need for me to say it. This isn't even the kind of story that I am typically a big fan of but I ended up liking it so, so much.

I can see some people would not like the certain revelation that happens later on. But well, personally (don't come hitting me for this), I liked this a lot more than Byousoku 5 Centimetres.

I'm going to beg my brother to get me the DVD of this.

EDIT: I should calm down...
That was a given considering how much of an amazing director Hosoda is...
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 07:58   Link #25
wao
OK.

Yeah, but most people don't know that. I won't be surprised if most in English-speaking circles really recognized the name Hosoda, or if they did check him up my guess is most people would just go all "ugh, a Digimon/One Piece director? He's got to suck", especially since the Digimon film got butchered and spliced for US release... Which is a goddamn pity of course. There's some really nice stuff he's done with CG like in the Spiral OP and the Alice SOS OP, which he did under his pseudonym Katsuyo Hashimoto (which he's denied before, but I think we all know it's a joke, because even in the karaoke scene in this movie he slyly slipped a hint of it in...). And he also did some of the best Utena episodes under that pseudonym but again, people won't notice these things I guess. Not like TokiKake is really like Utena in any way, though.

I was sort of smirking at the part in the movie with that fork in the road because it was exactly like that excellent Doremi Sharp episode of his (was it episode 40?) This movie reminded me of that episode in quite a lot of ways.

I was really hoping this would eventually get released in Singapore - after all, the subject matter would surely go along well with even the average teenager who doesn't watch anime (conversely it might feel weird to people who are too used to anime...), but nope. No point hoping I guess
Old 2007-04-22, 08:01   Link #26
Scab
Saizen
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
So I hope Saizen will keep the AC3.
I don't know about that; it's 448Kbps (read: ~315MB per track) and I do plan on including both the stereo and the 5.1 track in our release, so 630MB for just the audio isn't too appealing to me. Transcoding to smaller AAC tracks seems to be the sensible option. We'll see though, I can't say we've decided on a particular format yet. Is there really a demand for the original AC3...?
Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 11:38   Link #27
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Mamoru Hosoda was the director that was originally slated to direct Miyazaki's "Howl's Moving Castle".

It didn't pull through due to various reasons, but if Miyazaki and Suzuki were confident enough in Hosoda to let him direct a Ghibli film, then that says quite a lot outright about his talents.

I still haven't watched it, though I'm dying to, because it's based on Tsutsui's story and because of Yoshiyuki Sadamoto.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 11:49   Link #28
wao
OK.

Ironically enough, this and Gedo Senki came out around the same time but while Gedo Senki did much better commercially, most reviewers and critics seemed to greatly favour TokiKake.

I have no idea why they picked Sadamoto for the character designs though. I like them very much, but other than the character designs Sadamoto has hardly any influence in this film it appears (I don't even see any Gainax buddies around here exactly). His designs were well adapted for animation, anyway. And if anyone is wondering what sections were animated by whom, there's a partial list floating around in Japanese... It doesn't seem to say who did the part with the majo-obasan in the gallery grinning at Makoto while she calls her "majo-obasan". I really liked that part. The movement felt very real and very much like a Japanese female of that age...
Old 2007-04-22, 11:59   Link #29
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Studio Ghibli is an internationally acclaimed studio. The brand name itself help pushed Gedo Senki not to mention it's an adaptation of an popular fantasy series (Earthsea) that's well known on the other side of this planet.

Where else Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, i m ashamed to say, i didn't learn of it till i accidently saw it on the Japan Media Arts Festival 2006 Award website. While it's pretty popular in Japan, it doesn't have the help that Gedo Senki has unless they push it to Cannes, maybe then, it ll get the exposure it deserves.
Old 2007-04-22, 12:33   Link #30
manuloz

At least Chikachi Kubota was there to represent Gainax ^^

I gave some thought at the time the staff was announced on why they choosed Sadamoto... Then Yamamoto Nizo was also there, so maybe Mamoru Hosoda wanted to achieve so kind of Ghibli feeling to his movie.

So it occured to me that Sadamoto started at studio Telecom under Yasuo Otsuka... and that's all

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index....&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Here are some original designs from the Notebook

By the way the movie is good... again great work from Hosoda but i did not expect less than that.
He is got an eye to make good use of his background it's beyond me...
manuloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 18:01   Link #31
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

If my connection won't betray me I'll probably get to watch it either tomorrow or during this week. I was really looking forward to this movie since I read the positive opinions of the people who saw it at cinemas last summer in Japan, and I recall being quite impressed even by the trailer itself. And I'm a damn fanboy/sucker for nice urban settings like the ones shown in the movie's posters.

I've already ordered the storyboard artbook. I can't wait.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 18:07   Link #32
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scab View Post
I don't know about that; it's 448Kbps (read: ~315MB per track) and I do plan on including both the stereo and the 5.1 track in our release, so 630MB for just the audio isn't too appealing to me. Transcoding to smaller AAC tracks seems to be the sensible option. We'll see though, I can't say we've decided on a particular format yet. Is there really a demand for the original AC3...?
If there's no demand other than mines, then it's okay. Your choice.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 22:38   Link #33
issei

just finished watching. not sure how i feel about the ending, but overall it's definitely an outstanding film. i might be a little more coherent after some coffee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
i've only seen the first part of b5cm, but certainly toki wo kakeru shoujo accomplishes a depth of poignancy with large measures of subtlety in many of its scenes, something that shinkai either struggles with or doesn't attempt in the first place. up until the ending, at least, where it seems the film decided to drop the subtlety for a more familiar melodramatic process. but i think i'll need some more time to put my thoughts in order.

again, overall, toki wo kakeru shoujo is amazing.
Old 2007-04-22, 22:58   Link #34
zitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scab View Post
... Is there really a demand for the original AC3...?
I just went through the effort of registering here to say: Hell yeah!

I have a 5.1 audio system hooked up to my TV and my player can play DivX files with AC-3 audio; the player simply passes the AC-3 to the audio system.

Actually, I would just prefer the subtitle file by itself as I can build a high-quality DivX file to play on the setup with that file and the raw that I already have.
zitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 01:35   Link #35
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
i heard from my sis she said this anime so good
i think i'll just wait the subs
kira-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 07:37   Link #36
stpehen
kisses for all

After watching it for myself, I have no qualms with the statement that it's the best anime of 2006. Truly superb in all facets, from production to acting. Maybe slightly melodramatic at the end, but it's balanced out by the whimsy of the first half, and really, for anime, it's extremely gracefully handled. I could see the same story being completely butchered into a maudlin mess by less skilled hands. It definitely has that "Ghibli touch," in terms of style and poise. Really, really fantastic.

Now we just need someone to license it, so I can actually get a copy and recommend it to people I know...
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 08:31   Link #37
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Considering the movie is a Kadokawa title, I can imagine that Kadokawa Pictures USA already has R1 rights of it. Of course the question is who's going to distribute it.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 10:16   Link #38
TypoGuy

I saw it at a film festival, and I'll certainly buy the DVD when and if they release it, but I don't mind a fansub in the meantime. Great movie. I even tracked down the 1983 live action version (R3):

http://www.shop.com/op/~Kadokawa_Col...6?sourceid=298

A different take on the same basic story, shows how much they updated for the anime (added a lot of humor, more drama, less singing).

Not quite Miyazaki level, but the best of the next-gens I've seen so far, anyway.
TypoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 02:11   Link #39
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Spoiler for pantsu advisory:
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 16:48   Link #40
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypoGuy View Post
I'll certainly buy the DVD when and if they release it
It has already been out for a few days now:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%99%82%E3...7623637&sr=8-2

Just watched it myself.

I have heard nothing but good reviews for this movie ever since it aired in theatres last year, and after watching it I can only say it deserves them all. This movie is simply beautiful to watch on so many levels.

The plot catches you first by immersing you into Makoto's life, and then throws you into a wild ride just when you think you have everything figured out. For me, I think the twist near the end is what really delivered.

For a 1 hour and 30 minute movie, that was probably one of the most meaningful films I have ever watched.

The soundtrack is top-notch as well, very well delivered on the dramatic sections.

Miyuki is a moe-trap. ^^;
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote