AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2006-10-23, 10:09   Link #1201
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ANN's credibility has been null and void for me for quite a long time now. They seem to relish picking reviewers who inherently hate whatever genre series they're providing their "overview" for. I suppose it ups their hitrates.

ANN's database routinely has some of the most uninformed, ill-informed, clueless "reviews" of any website I visit to check new shows out. They just aren't on my radar much anymore. A typical ANN review might look like:
"Watchin Kannon. Where are the explosions? This sucks... the girlz dun even take ther clothes off. Not romantic at all!"

And this is a feature of more than a few forums and websites: confusing jaded negativity with being "cool" or "grownup" .... especially with poor understanding of the subject. This bunch of staffers doing their so-called "overviews" appear to fall into the jaded negativity crowd, you know... the kind of people that you just get tired of being around because they suck the life out of anything.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-10-23 at 10:29.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 10:12   Link #1202
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
You guys want to join the ANN forums and have them hear what you have to say?
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 10:12   Link #1203
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

People going into Kanon expect a Haruhi experience should be dragged out and be stoned to death with taiyaki.

Real reviewers don't go into reviewing a drama show expecting action. It's that simple.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 10:27   Link #1204
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
People going into Kanon expect a Haruhi experience should be dragged out and be stoned to death with taiyaki.

Real reviewers don't go into reviewing a drama show expecting action. It's that simple.
How do you stone someone to death with Taiyaki?

Unless you freeze them first or something...
Blue Reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 10:35   Link #1205
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Speaking of which, any Key fan will no doubt understand that Haruhi will have a field day in Maeda-verse. But not the other way round.

So all in all, Key fanboys > Haruhi fanboys.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 10:40   Link #1206
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
You guys want to join the ANN forums and have them hear what you have to say?
Why bother??? It would only pump their self-importance because they're commiting the verbal equivalent of "griefing". Giving them lots of hits and participating in their forum only justifies their game.
Old 2006-10-23, 10:43   Link #1207
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
So all in all, Key fanboys > Haruhi fanboys.
Thats what i like to hear.

And anyone with at least half a brain knows never EVER to read reviews on ANN.
Old 2006-10-23, 10:51   Link #1208
New/Old
Old to the New

Quote:
If we stick purely with Kanon, then the interweave approach makes even more sense than not, like I said before, it is named "Kanon" for a reason - and that is because of the interweaving stories between the heroines and Yuuichi.

Spoiler:
Heh heh. You pretty much laid it out there. New viewers, beware of this spoiler.

ANN... Seems I get to add another place to my ignore list.
Old 2006-10-23, 11:23   Link #1209
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, their database is ok though, I use it most of the time for anime and cast information and stuff.
Old 2006-10-23, 11:48   Link #1210
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Thats what i like to hear.

And anyone with at least half a brain knows never EVER to read reviews on ANN.
Hehe...they did flame all the new shows, and yes their reviews are bad...but they're not that bad as an anime database(heck yeah, they even have School Days listed!).
Old 2006-10-23, 11:52   Link #1211
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Wow, I didn't expect this amount of hatred towards ANN before. It like you guys have personal vendettas against them.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 11:53   Link #1212
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
but they're not that bad as an anime database
I never once said that there database was bad, just there reviews.
Old 2006-10-23, 12:51   Link #1213
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
...but they're not that bad as an anime database(heck yeah, they even have School Days listed!).
Considering that it isn't even an anime (they're scenes from the game strung together), and the amount of confusion that listing resulted in, I'm not sure that'd be a very good example to point to.

But anyway, I won't call the ANN review in any way surprising; they're pretty in-tune with the more typical, casual anime-watching demographic. They're not seeking to broaden their palate, but only to be "entertained". Go visit North American/European forums outside the anime/manga bubble for a taste. It gives you a pretty good sense of why certain genres are and aren't licensed very often.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 12:55   Link #1214
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You're mistaking my assessment for hatred, darkchibi07 I don't hate them... I just ignore them because their assessments so often miss the mark that I don't take them seriously. Relentless hits it pretty close --- if I used them for my viewing criteria on regular television, I suspect I'd be watching the "reality-flavor-of-the-week" show or "24" or "Star-whatever" or the latest reformat of CSI/Law&Order. For various reasons, most of those fail to interest me at all.
Now, the basic functionality of ANN is *very* useful --- particularly the seiyuu and other anime information database segments. I'll often go there for *that* ... its very good, which makes the antagonism they have towards anime kind of bipolar.
Old 2006-10-23, 13:03   Link #1215
DanielSong39

The ANN review did seem to be a bit harsh but they made a number of relevant points. Things like:

- Middling pacing.
- Sickly-sweet tone, oversentimentality.
- Dependant on "it gets better later on" factor.
- Similarities between Yuuichi and Kyon, and Mikuru and the girls.
- High level of polish.
- Consistent character designs.
- Excellent background.
- Forgettable background music.
- Confident voice acting.
- Two-dimensional personalities.
- Banal content/source material.

You many not agree with all these points, but they did address the material instead of going off into a mindless rant. Personally I think KyoAni is trying too hard to be "faithful" to the source material. They might be better served hitting Kanon's strengths and milking it for all its worth - and if that means going with the AIR ending, so be it.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 13:18   Link #1216
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

/me approves an AIR type ending.

Actually, the "sickly-sweet" is only so for those than can't bear it. It already makes the reviewer's bias apparent, as well as comments such as the "banal content" and the "two-dimensional personalities" (that one is far off target anyway). You can't judge character personalities by 1-2 episodes alone. Duh. The Kyon-Yuuichi similarity is fairly obvious, but as far as Kanon girls-Mikuru are concerned, he probably means in terms of appearance, as Mikuru collection of moe traits are scattered to all the cast. And many shows are "dependant on 'it gets better later on' factor", sheesh. If you knew the show beforehand, why watch it? The previews are terribly biased.
Old 2006-10-23, 13:22   Link #1217
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

I will compare the points to my own opinion.

- Middling pacing.
Frankly speaking, either I am getting too old( unlikely), or I have very unusual taste, because I have no problems with the pacing. If people find Kanon 'slow', then those same people are likely to find ARIA, Bartender, Asatte no Houkou, Figure 17, etc... 'slow' as well.

Not every damn anime( or show for that matter) has to have non-stop action/comedy.

- Sickly-sweet tone, oversentimentality.
It's all fun and games until the crying starts.

- Dependant on "it gets better later on" factor.
Can't really argue against this one, since Kanon is about the emotional payoff at the end. Somewhat like watching the first two episodes of KGNE.

- Similarities between Yuuichi and Kyon, and Mikuru and the girls.
Comparisons between Yuuichi and Kyon only started because of the VA. Mikuru and the girls? HELL NO. Their personalities and characteristics are miles apart.

- High level of polish.
- Consistent character designs.
- Excellent background.

No comment.

- Forgettable background music.
I'm tone-deaf, so I can't really comment on this one.

- Confident voice acting.
No comment.

- Two-dimensional personalities.
In what way? Hmm Anime X is really vague and really vague. How is it vague? It's just vague. *wave hands in the air*

- Banal content/source material.
Total. Utter. Bullshit. Kanon was not a revolutionary game for nothing. It was like watching Optimus Prime die in the Transformer Movie as a kid. It affects you. Deeply. Unless you have a heart of coal( or something).

Cheers.

PS: On a side note, the Bartender review made me really angry at the reviewer. I utterly despise reviews that seem to revel in pouring acid onto the topic, losing all sense of objectivity.
Old 2006-10-23, 13:38   Link #1218
New/Old
Old to the New

Cheers, Skane. I agree as well.

The comment that riles me up is Two-Dimensional Personality. Way. Off. The. Mark. Tut tut.

Voice acting is as good as ever. No need to comment further.

Background and art are excellent. Enough said on that.

Music that serves to create the Kanon feel that fans of the game will definitely get. Reminiscence is reminiscence is reminiscence. That is what Kyoani is going for in their mission to stay faithful. It's working.

Source material. Clearly, they haven't even looked at the source material. Tut tut. Skane's comment fits quite nicely here.

Similarities. Oh of course every anime character can be related to another. Oh yes. I see the great point made here.

Getting better later. Can't argue. Unless you love slice of life, you won't enjoy the earlier scenes which are made to get you used to each girl and attach yourself to at least one of them. Think of it as a preparation for the end, eh.

From what I've seen here, ANN misses the mark so many times it's not even funny. Then again. From what I've heard, I'm not surprised. Tut tut...
Old 2006-10-23, 13:51   Link #1219
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

None of the reviewers remotely cared for the genre they were reviewing which means they approached it as a loss to begin with. The reviews seemed basically designed to stir up controversy to light up their comment forums and ad hits.

Skane's remarks are mostly equivalent to mine.... I'm attention-deficit-diagnosed and I think the pacing is just fine.... some people should try watching the nine season romantic comedy "As Time Goes By..." from BBC..... which, by the way, is a great piece of work. "pacing" <sheesh>

A lot of the rest is just amusing ---

Calling the source material banal ... just tells me the source material hasn't been looked at .... or see <where are the explosions?> comment above. Not to over-rate Kanon, but next I'll be hearing Jane Austen, Steinbeck, or Mark Twain is banal ....

... 2-d personalities ... I guess I'd need to see what the reviewer thinks is a 3-d personality in anime to decide whether they were full of natto or not.

Whether its over-sentimental or not kind of depends on the viewer and what experience they're comparing it with ... so yeah, compared to "24" or Naruto I suppose the show is sweet.
Old 2006-10-23, 13:59   Link #1220
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I find that Neo-Kyon and Neo-Mikuru comments quite hilarious. While I am one of those people who wants Kisaichi back no matter how well Sugita does Kyon, even I find the above comments ridiculous in that Kanon predates SuzuHaru by quite a number of years, so it should be the other way around.

There are two things thing I agree with him though, and one of those things is that those expecting another SuzuHaru will be disappointed. But those expecting this to be another SuzuHaru is quite stupid; was people expecting TSR: the second Raid to be another AIR, or were there people expecting SuzuHaru itself to be another TSR?

The other would be the 'it gets better later on' factor. It wasn't until the 8th or 9th episode of the original that REALLY hooked me in to the show, and with this being twice the length of the original, it might fall in that pit trap. If it does, it won't be THAT interesting till like maybe episode 18 or 19 and thus turning off some number of viewers, but hopefully with KyoAni doing Kanon in a completely different direction than their predecessors would prove that this isn't the case.

One thing that I found quite disturbing was that he has the nerve to call the original Kanon a 'so-so show' when he has admitted in the beginning that he never ever saw it! How the heck can you pass judgement on a show that you haven't experienced yet? That in itself just destroyed any respect left I have left of him.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen