Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-23, 03:51   Link #20421
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Unless he screams like a young boy (people who heard the screams) and has instantly completely shifted personalities from the voice talking to the dispatcher ... okay, every thinking person's BS meter should be pegged. Any *useful* police officer would have his eyebrows cocked and start following up.
I am not sure what is the worse possibility: the cop lets Zimmerman go with the self-defence thing because the victime was black or they lets him go because it would be less work for them.
Old 2012-03-23, 08:37   Link #20422
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Hmmm.... Just figured I should mention something about simplification of East Asian characters: I'm against it.
I hope you are also against the changing the 600 hundred years old tradition of calling a certain city 汉城 into the 首尔.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 2012-03-23 at 09:09.
Old 2012-03-23, 10:02   Link #20423
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's something sadly funny there.... the police don't do due diligence?
I don't think they do too in another part of the world :

Police in China accused of abandoning injured girl

Quote:
(CHINA DAILY/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Three police officers and a town official are being held in custody after allegations they abandoned a badly injured teenager in a ditch because they thought she was a mentally ill vagrant.

The girl surnamed Wu, 18, a senior at No 4 Guoyang County Middle School in Anhui province, was spotted lying half-naked and semi-conscious in an alleyway by a passer-by.

The police officers in Gaogong town, Guoyang, who responded to the emergency 110 call, believed Ms Wu was 'homeless and in a confused state of mind', and decided to refer the matter to Mr Zhou Yuzhu at the Gaogong civil affairs bureau, authorities said.

Instead of transferring Ms Wu to hospital, however, Mr Zhou put her in a car of the civil affairs bureau and told the driver to dump her in the neighbouring county, Taihe. Local media reported that she was later discovered in a ditch by passers-by and rushed to Taihe People's Hospital, where doctors discovered she had a fractured skull.
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-03-23, 10:27   Link #20424
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Somehow, I think than I want to know what happened before the passer-by found her. It could be simple but, it could be rather nasty.
Old 2012-03-23, 10:36   Link #20425
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
More depressing thoughts :-

For a single case that got highlighted, there are tens of others similar ones that goes unreported or cover-upped.
Old 2012-03-23, 10:47   Link #20426
Tom Bombadil

Quote:

The top is pretty corrupt, as shown by recent political dramas in China, do you expect the bottom to be clean and competent?
Old 2012-03-23, 10:56   Link #20427
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Clean? NO
Competent? Yes
Old 2012-03-23, 11:44   Link #20428
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

I think in China you can be held responsible for the medical fees if you bring someone to the hospital. There are also news of people helping strangers and ended up being accused of molestation (with help of false witnesses) and extorted for monetary compensation.

It's really more than just officials being corrupt. There is something wrong with the entire Chinese society, and their culture of seeking gains by any mean.
Old 2012-03-23, 11:53   Link #20429
GundamFan0083

Teen Hate Crime: 13-Year-Old Kansas City Boy Set on Fire While Walking From School

http://www.gimmemo.com/03/2012/teen-...walking-school
Old 2012-03-23, 12:16   Link #20430
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
More depressing thoughts :-

For a single case that got highlighted, there are tens of others similar ones that goes unreported or cover-upped.
Yeah, and with the size of China.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
The top is pretty corrupt, as shown by recent political dramas in China, do you expect the bottom to be clean and competent?
Political drama are the norm everywhere, but I actually do expect China civil servants to show some sense of responsibility being the next superpower taking over US.

He may be a grunt, but at least send the poor girl to the hospital!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Clean? NO
Competent? Yes
I do actually agree with that.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-03-23, 12:18   Link #20431
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
I think in China you can be held responsible for the medical fees if you bring someone to the hospital. There are also news of people helping strangers and ended up being accused of molestation (with help of false witnesses) and extorted for monetary compensation.

It's really more than just officials being corrupt. There is something wrong with the entire Chinese society, and their culture of seeking gains by any mean.
we are not talking about a stranger here who declare her dead and thrown in a ditch. This was a police officer, it was a stranger who saved her life. The police officer was just plain lazy and incompetent.

Quote:
During a March 2 snowstorm, he saw two teen girls leave a Shell station while he was pumping gas.
“I just noticed these girls, that they had no umbrella, no coats or hood or something of that nature and I just felt like I should help,” Peterson says.
When he drove off, he saw them a short distance away on Prospect Avenue near Waverly.
“I just pulled up and said ‘How far do you have to walk?’ And one of the girls just replied, ‘We’re OK,’ and waved me on.”
Peterson says he drove off and thought nothing of it until Barrington police showed up at his home three days later.
The married father of three, who has a fourth child due in June, listened in disbelief as police told him the girls reported the encounter and he was being charged with disorderly conduct.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...ed-gone-wrong/
Old 2012-03-23, 12:41   Link #20432
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
we are not talking about a stranger here who declare her dead and thrown in a ditch. This was a police officer, it was a stranger who saved her life. The police officer was just plain lazy and incompetent.
Obviously the officers are incompetent and heartless. Just saying that it is fairly common in China to ignore people in need of help because of the troubles and risks. This is the sort of story that you can be 85% certain that it comes from China even before you read where it happened.

Quote:
During a March 2 snowstorm, he saw two teen girls leave a Shell station while he was pumping gas.
“I just noticed these girls, that they had no umbrella, no coats or hood or something of that nature and I just felt like I should help,” Peterson says.
When he drove off, he saw them a short distance away on Prospect Avenue near Waverly.
“I just pulled up and said ‘How far do you have to walk?’ And one of the girls just replied, ‘We’re OK,’ and waved me on.”
Peterson says he drove off and thought nothing of it until Barrington police showed up at his home three days later.
The married father of three, who has a fourth child due in June, listened in disbelief as police told him the girls reported the encounter and he was being charged with disorderly conduct.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...ed-gone-wrong/
It looks like a case of teenage girls getting paranoid of a stranger approaching them. Quite far from the horror stories that you can hear in China on a daily basis.
Old 2012-03-23, 12:50   Link #20433
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Obviously the officers are incompetent and heartless. Just saying that it is fairly common in China to ignore people in need of help because of the troubles and risks. This is the sort of story that you can be 85% certain that it comes from China even before you read where it happened.

It looks like a case of teenage girls getting paranoid of a stranger approaching them. Quite far from the horror stories that you can hear in China on a daily basis.
Quote:
City hospital officials agreed in court Tuesday to implement reforms at a psychiatric ward where surveillance footage showed a woman falling from her chair, writhing on the floor and dying as workers failed to help for more than an hour. Esmin Green, 49, had been waiting in the emergency room for nearly 24 hours when she toppled from her seat at 5:32 a.m. on June 19, falling face down on the floor.
She was dead by 6:35, when someone on the medical staff, flagged down by a person in the waiting room, finally approached, nudged Green with her foot, and gently prodded her shoulder, as if to wake her. The staffer then left and returned with someone wearing a white lab coat who examined her and summoned help.
Until the staffer's appearance, Green's collapse barely caused a ripple. Other patients waiting a few feet away didn't react. Security guards and a member of the hospital's staff appeared to notice her prone body at least three times, but made no visible attempt to see if she needed help.
One guard didn't even leave his chair, rolling it around a corner to stare at the body, then rolling away a few moments later.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25475759.../#.T2y3u9XK1bo
Quote:
An 86-year old World War II veteran crawled to safety after being attacked and carjacked on Wednesday in broad daylight at a busy gas station, and no one offered to help him. The gas stations video paints a ghastly picture, showing Aaron Brantley being hit while trying to gas his car up, and the attacker drives his car away.
On the ground with a broken leg, Brantley crawled up to the stations storefront as several people just walk by. He asked a mother with her kids to open the door, but she ignored him.
"I was wondering why they were passing me. They saw me crawling. They knew something was wrong. They should have. But people don't want to get involved in anything today," said Brantley.

http://www.wave3.com/story/17019923/...o-help-offered

so you want to compare horror stories?
Old 2012-03-23, 13:08   Link #20434
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Ignoring people in need happens more frequently than you think. It's bystander effect in play.

It's quite something else to pick up a badly injured girl and dump her at another county.
Old 2012-03-23, 13:30   Link #20435
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I don't find this surprising at all. When I was raising my daughter, I was viewed with suspicion by the mothers and nannies who had brought their kids to the park. I was often the only man in the group. This was about fifteen years ago, and more men now raise kids, but it's pretty common for men to be viewed with suspicion by mothers and children.

Our kids have been indoctrinated with the belief that men are all out to get them. I can even get dirty looks from mothers when I stand in the grocery checkout if I interact with the children accompanying them. Somehow just bantering with a child is viewed as preparatory to rape.

I find it horribly sad that we've become such a fearful nation. The media has a lot to do with this. Local newscasts follow the tabloid model of focusing on crimes and fires. Murder rates on television so far exceed the actual rates that it would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. While his claims have been subjected to considerable scholarly criticism, I still think George Gerbner's original studies on the fearfulness of heavy television viewers have a fundamental grain of truth to them.

By the way, if you read the linked article, you'll see that the man pled guilty to disorderly conduct and paid a $400 fine. (At least his name hasn't (yet) been added to a sex-offender registry.) "Barrington’s police chief said the girls in this case were 'alarmed and disturbed' by Peterson’s actions. He said the right thing to do in a situation like that is to call police and tell them that the teens need a ride." In the context of the Martin shooting, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy's appearance also played into the girls' fear. That hair, that mustache. Even if he's white, he just looks "creepy." The police also contradicted his story that it was snowing. Of course, the local station's report doesn't tell us whether it was snowing or not. In the style of modern "fair and balanced" American journalism, everything is a difference of opinion, even the weather.
Old 2012-03-23, 13:41   Link #20436
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I don't find this surprising at all. When I was raising my daughter, I was viewed with suspicion by the mothers and nannies who had brought their kids to the park. I was often the only man in the group. This was about fifteen years ago, and more men now raise kids, but it's pretty common for men to be viewed with suspicion by mothers and children.

Our kids have been indoctrinated with the belief that men are all out to get them. I can even get dirty looks from mothers when I stand in the grocery checkout if I interact with the children accompanying them. Somehow just bantering with a child is viewed as preparatory to rape.

I find it horribly sad that we've become such a fearful nation. The media has a lot to do with this. Local newscasts follow the tabloid model of focusing on crimes and fires. Murder rates on television so far exceed the actual rates that it would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. While his claims have been subjected to considerable scholarly criticism, I still think George Gerbner's original studies on the fearfulness of heavy television viewers have a fundamental grain of truth to them.

By the way, if you read the linked article, you'll see that the man pled guilty to disorderly conduct and paid a $400 fine. (At least his name hasn't (yet) been added to a sex-offender registry.) "Barrington’s police chief said the girls in this case were 'alarmed and disturbed' by Peterson’s actions. He said the right thing to do in a situation like that is to call police and tell them that the teens need a ride." In the context of the Martin shooting, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy's appearance also played into the girls' fear. That hair, that mustache. Even if he's white, he just looks "creepy." The police also contradicted his story that it was snowing. Of course, the local station's report doesn't tell us whether it was snowing or not. In the style of modern "fair and balanced" American journalism, everything is a difference of opinion, even the weather.
I've noticed this aspect of our culture as well. I have an 8 year old brother I am very close with so I am naturally friendly to kids, but that only seems to garner suspicion from parents. I understand you have to be careful, but it's disheartening.
Old 2012-03-23, 13:57   Link #20437
Ridwan

Somehow, this news fails to surprise me
Old 2012-03-23, 15:40   Link #20438
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Facebook starts to rear its legal head on the latest trend of potential employers wanting to search your body cavities and read your diary:

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/23/149242...ds?ft=1&f=1001

Quote:
Facebook is warning employers not to demand the passwords of job applicants, saying that it's an invasion of privacy that opens companies to legal liabilities.
The social networking company is also threatening legal action.

In a post on Friday, Facebook's chief privacy officer cautions that if an employer discovers that a job applicant is a member of a protected group, the employer may open itself up to claims of discrimination if it doesn't hire that person.
Old 2012-03-23, 16:09   Link #20439
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Facebook wants to be the sole exploiter of your personal data. Surprise.
Old 2012-03-23, 16:57   Link #20440
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

That, and it's simple bad press for them if they're used against their own users so blatantly.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international