AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-07-13, 00:32   Link #1301
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Was I the only one who kept expecting that Lin's sister and Opal to be awful when no one was looking? They are just so cheerful and aparently good that it feels somewhat artificial...
Also, it was rare to see Zuko get trashed so easily, but, then agains, he's in his late 80's
Also, man, Toph turned out to be quite a rebel, I mean, 2 different men, and we don't know any of them, and neither do the daughters
Old 2014-07-13, 03:54   Link #1302
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
I have to disagree with you guys on the death flag thing tho.

Death flags in this series are often misleading. Even if they die, they don't stay dead. (All avatars lived on in spirit form, Iroh discarded his physical body & lived in the spirit world. That firebender who got swallowed by a spirit in the first series got transported to that prison in the spirit world & the list goes on & on.)
yea, just gonna quote myself here because I was right on the mark with this one. lol I so said that Zuko's not gonna die anytime soon.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-13, 06:16   Link #1303
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Dat next episode preview doe.

"Brand new episodes you can't see online or anywhere else but here."

I understand people viewing Opal as rather Mary Sue-ish, but as for me.. I will not lie, I am charmed by her.

And yeah I'm also joining the "Opal is probably Lin's daughter" bandwagon.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-13, 06:49   Link #1304
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
I read theories that maybe one of Toph's men was Sokka based on hints left by her daughter
They haven't met their fathers, do you really think Sokka is the type to never see his own kid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I understand people viewing Opal as rather Mary Sue-ish, but as for me.. I will not lie, I am charmed by her.
Agreed. She's really sweet.

Quote:
And yeah I'm also joining the "Opal is probably Lin's daughter" bandwagon.
Why do you think this anyway?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-13, 09:38   Link #1305
ellifeedn
Thinker

I had this theory that the new airbenders are people that have some manner of airbender ancestry and couldn't airbend because of lack of spirituality or something. With the major change in spiritual energies they can airbend now, I guess. I can't say whether or not it's been proven true.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-13, 14:51   Link #1306
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I had this theory that the new airbenders are people that have some manner of airbender ancestry and couldn't airbend because of lack of spirituality or something. With the major change in spiritual energies they can airbend now, I guess. I can't say whether or not it's been proven true.
One problem with that theory though. There isn't supposed to be anyone with airbender ancestry in the world except for Aang's family.

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Airbending

Read the first paragraph, that says it all. There were no non-bender with air nomad ancestry at the time of the genocide. Everyone was a bender, so everyone died in the genocide.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-13, 15:03   Link #1307
Key Board
Carbon

I think Harmonic Convergence did more than just make a few non-benders into airbenders

it's possible that it also created fire/water/earth benders, but they don't make the news because those are more common
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2014-07-13 at 16:07.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-13, 19:15   Link #1308
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Why wouldn't we think this? It's like the episode WANTS us to think this.
Old 2014-07-13, 20:03   Link #1309
takai
Easy Muffin

These last two episodes were just excellent. Toph may not actually be dead, she was a player, and I'm really liking Opal.

It seems that the creators have this groove now where we meet Bolin's new love interest every season. I'm not really liking how they treat his romance.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 01:20   Link #1310
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Definitely signing on to the idea that something is very rotten in the state of Zaofu. Utopias as a rule are impossible, and thus by storytelling law, always hide some terrible secret. Don't know enough to guess what exactly it is with any certainty (best money is probably that it's related to the four escapee benders), but chances are Aiwei is at the center of whatever nastiness lurks. Truth sense in and of itself is literarily benign, but those who actively act as "truth seers" are always themselves hiding something.

I almost hope that Suyin turns out to be evil, too. It would crush Bolin's romance, as the universe seems ever intent upon doing, and it would be earth-shattering if one of team Aang's direct decendants turned out evil, especially a descendant of arguably team Aang's most beloved member...
Old 2014-07-15, 08:38   Link #1311
Somnus
Eh?

For once, I hope Zoafu is exactly how it seems (Su Yin's family, and all included). Don't get me wrong, I too expected the worst, but as the episode went on I started to think, "Y'know, maybe things are actually good for once." In a way it's really sad that we think the world is so messed up that everywhere Korra goes she'll be met with something negative right off the bat. Here's hoping the negativity this time around stems from Lin and her past, and Zaofu stays the happy, prosperous town it shows itself to be.
Old 2014-07-15, 09:44   Link #1312
ellifeedn
Thinker

I have to wonder where they got all that metal from.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 09:46   Link #1313
foxbox360
New Age Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Definitely signing on to the idea that something is very rotten in the state of Zaofu. Utopias as a rule are impossible, and thus by storytelling law, always hide some terrible secret. Don't know enough to guess what exactly it is with any certainty (best money is probably that it's related to the four escapee benders), but chances are Aiwei is at the center of whatever nastiness lurks. Truth sense in and of itself is literarily benign, but those who actively act as "truth seers" are always themselves hiding something.
With Varrick involve, you just knew there something rotten in the air.
foxbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 16:10   Link #1314
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post

I almost hope that Suyin turns out to be evil, too. It would crush Bolin's romance, as the universe seems ever intent upon doing, and it would be earth-shattering if one of team Aang's direct decendants turned out evil, especially a descendant of arguably team Aang's most beloved member...
I don't think anything is really going on in Zaofu despite Varrick's presence there but I do think it is being set up for some sort of tragedy. Not sure what I get the feeling that it's peaceful days are numbered.
Old 2014-07-15, 16:15   Link #1315
DMurphy

I get the feeling that there's naught wrong with Zaofu, but maybe there is something wrong with Su Yin's family, in the sense that I'm not sure they're as happy as they seem.

Su Yin is being set up as kind of the opposite of Lin, who is harsh and restrictive but is nonetheless a very caring parental figure for the Korralition, who gives them the freedom to make their own mistakes. So it kind of follows that Su Yin is a very genial and open-minded mother (and we can see that in her children all pursuing their dreams) but also kind of smothering (she doesn't let Opal leave, even when Opal seems excited by the idea: She doesn't shoot the idea down as harshly as Lin would have, but she definitely shoots it down).

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-16, 06:21   Link #1316
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I hope there is nothing wrong with the state itself. But do realise that if Varrick's involved, SOMETHING bad is about to happen one way or another.
Old 2014-07-16, 11:44   Link #1317
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Why wouldn't we think this? It's like the episode WANTS us to think this.
Whoops, forgot to respond to this.

Firstly, Lin and Suyin haven't seen or spoken to each other in 30 years. If Opal is really Lin's child, when would she have given her over? Considering that they hate each other, why would she?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-16, 14:10   Link #1318
shadow1296

Quote:
Whoops, forgot to respond to this.

Firstly, Lin and Suyin haven't seen or spoken to each other in 30 years. If Opal is really Lin's child, when would she have given her over? Considering that they hate each other, why would she?
well lin is the police chief and they tend to make alot of enemies, and republic city wasn't the best place for a police chief to raise a child especially with the organized crime there so she may have thought that opal would gave been safer in zoafu with her sister and gave opal to her sister even though she hates her sister, though i think this hating her sister has more todo with toph that this but might be why she would if it turns out opal is actually her daughter
Old 2014-07-16, 14:42   Link #1319
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
They haven't met their fathers, do you really think Sokka is the type to never see his own kid?

Agreed. She's really sweet.

Well, none of us expected Aang to be the kind of father he was and who expected Toph to turn out like that?, so it's not really that far of a stretch.
Old 2014-07-17, 00:20   Link #1320
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Opal is a sweetie-pie and I think she's charming... But man... She just gives me flashbacks to Sokka/Yue. Would not be the least bit surprised if she just straight-up fuckin' died.

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra