AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-17, 15:01   Link #1061
YourIdeas

Chihayafuru 19

In a twist of fate, Mizusawa comes back from a 2-win deficit using the strategy that Hokuo used on them. Taichi's the MVP of this game, as the karuta God has shown mercy and given him every possible advantage. Double fault on the dude that doesn't commit faults, cards constantly being read on the opponent's side, Chihaya waking up at just the right moment, and as said, the game coming down to the luck of a draw, which they do in fact win. I didn't expect Mizusawa to win but it was done in such beautiful fashion and the moment where Chihaya proves Arata wrong was great as well.

It's very subtly implied, but I think Porky's taking a hint from Taichi, back in season 1 when they were both on their A-class promotion.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 15:10   Link #1062
LKK

I'll put this in a spoiler box in case you wander in here without having seen episode 19.

Spoiler for episode 19:

On a totally frustrating personal note, the Crunchyroll app for my TV refused to play this episode claiming it was either rated Mature or not authorized for my region. What?? And then the web stream stopped twice. At critical points, naturally. I think Karuta-kami-sama was busy elsewhere and not concerned with me at all this time.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2013-05-17 at 15:14. Reason: changed a word or two here and there
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 15:28   Link #1063
Blaat

The only thing lacking is a NTR face and then we would had all the good Taichi elements in a single episode (and I was totally expecting one at the end).

I tremendously enjoyed the episode from the beginning till the end but I can't say I'm a fan of epic last minute comebacks. While they do happen in various sport they seem to happen more often in sport anime/manga, sometimes multiple times in a single series.
Old 2013-05-17, 15:58   Link #1064
Bern-san

Man how much I suffered during this episode, for a moment I thought they were going to leave the end of the match for another episode

More Taichi and how he is developing is always good But during the last minutes of the match he got on my nerves because I just wanted the cards to be read and finish already.

An excellent episode that finally ends the tournament. Now waiting another week to see if there's more conversation of the main trio.
Old 2013-05-17, 15:59   Link #1065
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I tremendously enjoyed the episode from the beginning till the end but I can't say I'm a fan of epic last minute comebacks. While they do happen in various sport they seem to happen more often in sport anime/manga, sometimes multiple times in a single series.
I can't say I liked all the silent panning shots at the beginning though =02. I know it's supposed to create the mood, but, in my impatience in wanting the match to continue, I couldn't see it as anything but a waste of time. And I'm of the same sentiment about last-minute comebacks as well; I almost think that all the hobgob about Taichi failing at luck-of-the-draws was sorely for this moment to win 'a' championship(team/class/whatever).

I was kinda disappointed from the lack of Shinobu insight. Then they didn't even talk after the match =0(. I am GREATLY looking forward for that inevitable moment where Chihaya and Shinobu talk about Daddy Bear and Snowmaru . Maybe during the individual tournament.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 16:09   Link #1066
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was the most intense, engaging, and emotional match of the whole season so far. Worthy of a national final. THEY DID IT!!! It was really satisfying that they won using the same strategy Hokuto used against them. They didn't win on a fluke. They made their own luck. Taichi was finally rewarded for his efforts at long last. I hope this victory will boost his confidence and motivation. I'm looking forward to his performance in the individual tournament. It's about time for him to reach class A.

Chihaya and Arata's small exchange at the end was wonderful. Made me teary-eyed. This is the moment I've waiting forever. It would be amazing if Arata got to play with them as a team before high school years are over. It's actually not as impossible as it sounds. I'm pretty sure what he wants to ask his parents if he wins the tournament is the permission to move to Tokyo.

Next, the individuals. My predictions:

Chihaya - injured, won't play
Kana- injured, won't play

Class D final: Tsukuba wins
Class C Final: Tsutomu wins
Class B final: Rion vs Taichi, Taichi wins
Class A final: Arata vs Shinobu, Arata wins

That would be my ideal ending to this season. I know it's unlikely Arata will be able to win against Shinobu, but he has to. He needs to move to Tokyo. He's remained in the shadows for too long already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
The only thing lacking is a NTR face and then we would had all the good Taichi elements in a single episode (and I was totally expecting one at the end).
I was relieved there wasn't one. This NTR face was starting to get on my nerves. This was the perfect Taichi episode.
Old 2013-05-17, 16:35   Link #1067
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That would be my ideal ending to this season. I know it's unlikely Arata will be able to win against Shinobu, but he has to. He needs to move to Tokyo. He's remained in the shadows for too long already.
And let's not forget about Shinobu's strong aversion to playing as a team. I think that would be Arata's motive for winning the ind tourney; to save Shinobu. I don't think she can be saved unless she is defeated, but they might leave that up to Chihaya in some future season(if one is made).

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 17:20   Link #1068
LKK

Quote:
Next, the individuals. My predictions:

Class B final: Rion vs Taichi, Taichi wins
I'm not as sure about this as you are. I go back and forth between this pair and Retro-kun vs. Taichi. Right now, I lean towards Retro-kun vs. Taichi for the following reasons. Reason (1) Retro-kun has been challenging Taichi for this match since they first met at the nationals. I remember there's been at least 2 times when Retro-kun told Taichi he'll win the class tournament. Reason (2) Rion's coach said that Rion has the summer to get better. I see that as giving the viewer a hint that Rion will not be in the final B match. It's too soon for her.

Regardless, I expect Taichi to be in the final match and I expect him to win. I'm inclined to think his final match will be the last match of the season. Taichi wins his A rank. Finally. Chihaya gets her first goal for the club accomplished. And the season ends.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 18:43   Link #1069
CJ_Walker

Quote:
This NTR face was starting to get on my nerves. This was the perfect Taichi episode.
What NTR face are you talking about? I think I might have missed something here.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 20:57   Link #1070
Kirarakim

My babies pulled it off...please excuse me while I cry in happiness.

Probably my favorite episode of the season. Chihayafuru does loss so well, but sometimes I just want them to win. Glad we were able to experience such an epic moment in animated form.
Old 2013-05-17, 21:39   Link #1071
mpt37

Wow.

Spoiler for ep 19:
Old 2013-05-17, 21:40   Link #1072
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
What NTR face are you talking about? I think I might have missed something here.

well that and I don't even know what an NTR face is

Edit: wow I just quoted myself when I meant to just edit that last post. . .well might as well leave it up for the world to see!
Old 2013-05-17, 21:42   Link #1073
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I was pretty sure they'd pull it off this year. This year Chihaya wins the team tournament, next year, the individual. That's just how it's going to go . This year however, I suspect it'll be the long built up shinobu arata match, and Taichi aiming for class A in the B class finals.

Great episode, but it just goes to show you how inconsistent this show is. There was a stretch of 4-5 mediocre episode in this season, and now 4-5 amazing ones. Chihayafuru is a bit inconsistent.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 00:11   Link #1074
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

I assume the NTR face is the one taichi makes whenever chihaya mentions arata.

anyway, perfect episode all around, even that scene where chihaya finally meets arata in person, last time it happened if i recall correctly was when they visited him at his house.

I know chihayafuru has that habit of cutting off after matches and showing the awards ceremony at the beginning of the next episode, but i really wanted to what would happen next this time, especially when they didn't show how bad chihaya's condition was, and whether she'll play in the individual matches.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 00:15   Link #1075
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
well that and I don't even know what an NTR face is
It's when his head is down and his hair covers his eyes.
Netorare (NTR) probably isn't the correct term but I think the overall meaning is understood. The point is him watching his love interest thinking of someone else.
Off the top of my head, he made that face when Arata texts Taichi to apologize and tell Chihaya happy birthday (season 1), Arata's text of "did you have fun?" to Chihaya (I think that was this season), that phone call Chihaya made to Arata (near the end of ep 7 this season).
You best not to press further, lest you want to bring in yet another round of shipping wars!

Anyway, I'm glad they ended this episode on a happy note, rather than spoiling it with that expression.
Chihaya got her wish of him watching his game (ok, technically he didn't, but he understood her message), and Taichi got wish of getting the card on his side & Chihaya to wake up and watch him get his victory.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 00:56   Link #1076
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Netorare (NTR) probably isn't the correct term but I think the overall meaning is understood. The point is him watching his love interest thinking of someone else.
Off the top of my head, he made that face when Arata texts Taichi to apologize and tell Chihaya happy birthday (season 1), Arata's text of "did you have fun?" to Chihaya (I think that was this season), that phone call Chihaya made to Arata (near the end of ep 7 this season).
You best not to press further, lest you want to bring in yet another round of shipping wars!

Anyway, I'm glad they ended this episode on a happy note, rather than spoiling it with that expression.
Chihaya got her wish of him watching his game (ok, technically he didn't, but he understood her message), and Taichi got wish of getting the card on his side & Chihaya to wake up and watch him get his victory.

OOOOOHHH, THAT expression! ok now I get it haha.

I won't comment much on the whole "romance" part of the show(because that's the weakest part as it's all a bunch of B.S. that the author strings along to tease the viewers/the sake of "drama"/keep Taichi playing karuta) I usually just skip past the NTR face parts and get to the actual karuta playing especially since you know that the author is going to have to make that a plot point to beat over and over until the story is finished.
Old 2013-05-18, 04:20   Link #1077
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Something I just noticed... Taichi was right about Eromu looking down on him for being B-class. I thought he was just being insecure.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 06:23   Link #1078
Kirarakim

Quote:
OOOOOHHH, THAT expression! ok now I get it haha.

I won't comment much on the whole "romance" part of the show(because that's the weakest part as it's all a bunch of B.S. that the author strings along to tease the viewers/the sake of "drama"/keep Taichi playing karuta) I usually just skip past the NTR face parts and get to the actual karuta playing especially since you know that the author is going to have to make that a plot point to beat over and over until the story is finished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
That Is not what the NTR face is at all. It's a face Taichi makes when he is overwhelming his opponent in Karuta.

It's kind of an evil face and he isn't the only one who does it.

People like the NTR face no one likes the jealous face

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-05-18 at 06:34.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 06:46   Link #1079
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Ha-ha I think? The NTR face is indeed the jealous face.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 06:50   Link #1080
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Ha-ha I think? The NTR face is indeed the jealous face.
Well I guess the jealous face can be considered a NTR face too but I don't think that is what Blaat was referring to:

Quote:
I was trying to find an example in screencaps but I am not having much luck.

edit: I realize I shouldn't say definitely not because maybe Blaat does like Taichi's jealous face.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-05-18 at 07:11.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cards, josei, karuta, sports