AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Old 2013-04-08, 17:51   Link #361
Newhope

Excellent frist 2 episodes probably the best this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
ep2:
Sign that this series means business: People getting vaporized War of the World style.

The reactions of the officers are getting very annoying, surly she wasn't the only one that can hear Chamber? They talked for a whole night and still people doubt what they heard? Hopefully ep2 show of force will change their minds.
Come on would you trust a complete stranger on just a few words in a world like theirs when a good few hundred lives depend on it.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 17:56   Link #362
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhwa View Post
3. Who the antagonist of this series is
Probably the only serious antagonist will be those aliens from the first ep, I'd expect them to appear again towards the end. Other than that, this should be a walk in the park.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 18:07   Link #363
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Probably the only serious antagonist will be those aliens from the first ep, I'd expect them to appear again towards the end. Other than that, this should be a walk in the park.
Or maybe the Alliance actually, if they wanna reconquer the Earth for themselves.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 18:15   Link #364
lightbringer
M9000

Come to think of it, they are screwed if either the aliens or the alliance guys show up. Even a minor squad from either side could spell doom. The only way out - and it's a grim one but probably the only way for anyone to survive - is if both factions show up and duke it out
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 18:26   Link #365
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

This has been my favorite premiere of the season thus far. I've already watched it three times -- I can't believe I missed the panty shot on the first viewing. While I love the sci-fi setting and story so far, I have to admit the girls are a big draw too, which I didn't expect. Very, very cute.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 18:40   Link #366
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I wish Gen told Hanaharu Naruko to reign in on the over the top huge breast size this isn't an hentai nor a crappy fanservice series.
Considering Gen began as an eroge writer it wouldn't surprise me if he really likes the designs
Old 2013-04-08, 18:55   Link #367
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
nice debut but attack on titan won the first episode debut this season

It also reminded macross zero for some reason
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 18:57   Link #368
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenneth4 View Post

It also reminded macross zero for some reason
That may be true depending on your opinion but Gargantia still does a great job with the 1st episode. Don't you agree?
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 19:05   Link #369
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
The other complained I have is the character design or to be really exact particularly the adult female character design (especially Ridget) I wish Gen told Hanaharu Naruko to reign in on the over the top huge breast size this isn't an hentai nor a crappy fanservice series.
I didn't like this either or the fact that they focused a bit on Amy's butt.

But then again it's not too bad. The female designs remind me of One Piece fanservice & if I can deal with that I can deal with this.

Actually the one girl's design made me think of a tamer version of Yoko from Gurren Lagann. So if I can deal with that I really can deal with this.

edit: And this was definitely my favorite premiere of the season. Titans was good too but I don't know the fact that this is new for everyone makes it a bit more exciting for me.
Old 2013-04-08, 19:07   Link #370
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenneth4 View Post
OT: No, that belongs to AnH.

Back on topic, I found it weird how the space alliance's technology is so much ahead of earthlings'...

Last edited by maplehurry; 2013-04-08 at 19:21.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 19:32   Link #371
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
OT: No, that belongs to AnH.

Back on topic, I found it weird how the space alliance's technology is so much ahead of earthlings'...
Let's assume that there was a massive ice age that froze most of Earth over and that the more technologically advanced/wealthier nations left on colony ships. Their technology would continue to progress as they explored the galaxy. Meanwhile most of the people left on Earth probably died off and the survivors lived in a post apocalypse scenario (ie, Fallout, Mad Max). After the Ice Age ended people probably were able to slowly restart civilization. Notice the Earthlings in episode 1 were all salvagers, so much of their technology is probably salvaged from the era before the ice age. The fact that pirates are so prevalent and powerful indicates that it's still a pretty chaotic age so it's probably not too long after the Ice Age ended.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 20:41   Link #372
Cirno
Eye'm the strongest

I thought this anime was similar to macross zero (even the girls wearing similar clothes), but the post-apocalyptic world setting at episode 2 makes me want to watch Waterworld again for nostalgia's sake.
Cirno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 21:08   Link #373
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

The one week separation between release and sub per episode (due to it pre-airing one week early, apparently) is going to make discussions of this show painful.

At the very least, can we do our best to keep episode comments in spoilers until the actual episode is "supposed" to air? For instance, I'm pretty sure episode 2 doesn't officially air, even in Japan, until the 14th. Yes, it's available early, just like episode 1 was, but common courtesy...
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 21:09   Link #374
Midonin
Last Engage

It's only episode 2 that will have this problem due to the sneak preview BD. Come episode 3, we'll all be on the same page.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 21:12   Link #375
apsody243

So anyone want to take a guess at how the Gargantia's crew will respond after witnessing what a dedicated annihilation weapon is capable of.

Bellows and Amy didn't seem particularly overjoyed at the fact that Red vaporized the pirates.
apsody243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 21:37   Link #376
Clarste
Human

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 21:44   Link #377
Shinhwa
Banned

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 22:09   Link #378
leokiko

Episode 2 has actually been released in english. Gonna watch that now.

And the "mother-" joke was indeed a great one.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 22:28   Link #379
Beltane70

Strange that two people have mentioned Macross Zero, yet I didn't once think of it while watching the first episode of Gargantia! Strange because of how much I love Macross Zero!
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 22:32   Link #380
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I think the Macross comparisons are largely due to how eerily similar the Avalon "pods" and Macross colonies look.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, mecha, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, urobuchi