AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-06-24, 10:32   Link #561
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Well isn't that to be expected since we've gotten use the the services that the PSN offers currently. I mean, to suddenly pay if we wish to play online for certain games will take time to get use to.

I won't mind having to pay to use the onlines services offered, but that's just me.
Old 2013-06-24, 10:57   Link #562
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
I think Sony got burned really bad with the PSP Go fiasco. I personally believe that the core gamer will offer quite a bit of resistance at first but eventually surrenders to the convenience of getting the game "right now". Of course that, for that to happen, digital prices need to be "right" with regular sales and competitive pricing up front when put against regular retail offers and imho Sony has started to get those right (at least here in my neck of the woods).
Old 2013-06-24, 13:40   Link #563
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Of course that, for that to happen, digital prices need to be "right" with regular sales and competitive pricing up front when put against regular retail offers and imho Sony has started to get those right (at least here in my neck of the woods).
This is one of the two big things that needs to happen for digital to take off. First, price it reasonably better than physical. If you're cutting costs by not needing overhead, pass the savings on to the consumer. If you do not, don't expect us to give up the collectability and versatility (keep, trade, sell) of a physical copy. The other of course being internet companies that do not act like bandwidth is food at a homeless shelter.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 15:39   Link #564
Destined_Fate

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/...t-for-the-set/

Taken from a [Yomonachi4] from gamefaqs who shared this.

[Remember “Old Man Face” from the reveal conference of the PS4 that a lot of people mocked as unimpressive or irrelevant? It has since become a full fledged tech demo that impressed everyone at E3, causing many of those that mocked Quantic Dream to simply eat crow.

Fact is, though, that we didn’t know very much about the technicalities behind the demo, until now.

A rather noisy shakycam video from E3 by Youtube user TheAireaidLord shows (between other things) Quantic Dream QA Manager Gavin Niebel as he explains quite a few behind-the-scenes details to the crowd watching the demo. What we learn from the explanation possibly makes it even more impressive, and gives us hopes to see even better in the future.

The demo, that has absolutely no pre-rendering, post production or video inserts, represents only the first iteration of Quantic Dream’s development cycle for the PS4, and while it runs between 30 and 90 fps (the frame rate wasn’t optimized yet), it does so at native 1080p resolution, textures included. The developer still didn’t have access to full PS4 development tools, so they had to make do with the same PS3 development pipeline used for Beyond: Two Souls “shoving in a bunch of high-fidelity assets”.

The set alone is made of a whopping one million triangles, and the volumetric lighting is completely dynamic between “movie” conditions and “studio” conditions. It can be switched at will within a single frame. The most impressive part? It only uses four of the eight gigabytes of GDRR5 RAM under the hood of the PS4.

Maurice the Goblin is made by 67,000 triangles, 40 different shaders, 150 Megabytes of texture data, and can be defined a CG-quality model despite running in real time. He has 388 different bones in his “body”.

If you haven’t seen the tech demo yet, you can find it just below, alongside the shakycam video itself. If yous skip to 16:50 you can see Niebel switching between lighting conditions at will.

As I said in a previous piece, one thing is for sure: those that laughed and sneered at the “old man face” during the PS4's unveiling presentation owe Quantic Dream a big apology.]
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 16:37   Link #565
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Looks like PS4's OS is based on BSD, I like it Link
Old 2013-06-24, 17:27   Link #566
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Well it's true some gamers prefer a single player experience first before indulging online.
Old 2013-06-25, 12:17   Link #567
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i like buying digital because of the conveniences factor. But i really wish digital ver would get a 10-15% discount.
Old 2013-06-25, 12:23   Link #568
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i like buying digital because of the conveniences factor. But i really wish digital ver would get a 10-15% discount.
Me too, if it was. Unfortunately, it haven't reach that stage. Gamestop and other major gaming retailer may go out of business if it was done correctly. Well people may still buy from Gamestop because of exclusives gain from preordering.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 13:04   Link #569
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

If there is a choice between physical and digital, I'll always go for physical. I just love filling my shelf with discs and books.

Well, unless digital get significant discount compare to physical.
Old 2013-06-25, 14:03   Link #570
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
Looks like PS4's OS is based on BSD, I like it Link
so, that's where they got the ps4 codename Orbis from.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 15:55   Link #571
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Sony has started doing that, that's why I think they are on the right track for now.

Example:
Epic Mickey 2 (Vita) - 20€ in stores, 15€ on PSN.

I'm just afraid that it won't last since they effectively have no competition whatsoever. If they sold codes to other retailers like Steam does then I would be a bit more relieved.
Old 2013-06-25, 20:28   Link #572
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

The PSN always has a sale on some digital items every month.
Old 2013-06-26, 07:07   Link #573
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...c=rss&attr=all

I hope it's as what they are describing it here. It's not like I have problem with the DS3, but if they can make it better with the DS4, then why not?
Old 2013-06-26, 08:37   Link #574
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

The minor gripe I have for the DS3 is the d-pad, it'll be nice if it's like the Vita's.

The major gripe I have for the DS3 is the L2/R2 'trigger' button, my god were those terrible.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 08:59   Link #575
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
The major gripe I have for the DS3 is the L2/R2 'trigger' button, my god were those terrible.
Amen to that! Those triggers were bloody awful. Who in their right mind thought that it was a good idea to curve them that way? My fingers constantly slip.
Old 2013-06-26, 09:01   Link #576
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Amen to that! Those triggers were bloody awful. Who in their right mind thought that it was a good idea to curve them that way? My fingers constantly slip.
Plus the sensitivity on them is horrible- Sometimes they don't register the command because of how it's pressed...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 13:34   Link #577
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

My gripe with the DS3 is the analog sticks. I've never actually had my thumbs slip off, but often they've been left holding the stick down just by the edge. The new design looks like it'll mitigate that problem.
Old 2013-06-26, 15:48   Link #578
Dextro
He Without a Title

I actually never liked the Dualshock much till I first got my PS3. Both the Dualshock 1 and 2 had a lot of issues: The L and R buttons were too shallow, the analogue sticks weren't particularly confortable due to being convex instead of concave and they (DS2 in particular) were way too light to the point of being uncomfortable. To top it off the d-pad was never particularly amazing, especially for someone like me who grew up playing the Mega Drive/Genesis (whose d-pad I personally find fantastic).

Luckily these were mostly fixed with the Dualshock 3 and seem to be permanently fixed on the DS4 at long last. Now we just need to check on the D-Pad to crown it as the best gamepad ever made (the 360 one would have taken that crown long ago if it wasn't for that abomination of a d-pad).
Old 2013-06-26, 19:06   Link #579
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

As for a long time PS owner. The controller works for me. It's what you get use to.
Old 2013-06-26, 20:09   Link #580
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I love the Playstation analog controller. Since the first time I held a PSX analog controller back in the 90s, it's just felt "right."

As for the sensitivity of the shoulder buttons on the PS3 controller... I think it's fine. I actually really like it for most games I play.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote