AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-14, 16:12   Link #281
leokiko

The opening is very good.

Urabe is very sexy in the manga for me, hope it goes well in the anime too.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 17:49   Link #282
ponyo

I havent been this excited about a show since Bakemonogatari. The settings are normal but the feeling is different.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 17:52   Link #283
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Its was like I was transported back to the 90's.

Oh the drool,... nah I've pass that part.... Good beginning...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 21:26   Link #284
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Scissors in full effect now.
Old 2012-04-14, 22:38   Link #285
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I'm really glad they decided to animate this series, I really enjoy the manga.

So far I think they are doing a great job.

Also, as a request, is there any chance someone can do a Panty Scissors avatar gif. sized for this forum?
Old 2012-04-14, 23:14   Link #286
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Spoiler for ep2:
Old 2012-04-14, 23:53   Link #287
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

First off, Urabe is <3.

Secondly, I'm getting old but I still remember what it was like being in puberty with testosterone running through my veins and thinking about boobs, panties and sex every 5 seconds. Not the most clear thinking of my days, but oddly enough I've always found this story to be a strangely accurate if eccentric representation of the awkward first romance.

Also camel toe. Yes I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed, and for whatever reason I don't think there was any camel toe in the manga.

Lastly, Urabe is <3.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 23:54   Link #288
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Is this show supposed to take place in any particular time period? It feels old school with the character designs and general look, but on re-watching episode 1 and then 2, I noticed that no one has a cell phone. I also haven't seen any flat screen TVs/monitors (Tsubaki is sporting a fairly old looking computer in his room). Tsubaki's sister did use a digital thermometer on him, and I don't remember those becoming common until the 90s.

Anyway, I enjoyed the second episode as much as the first. I'd love to see Urabe in a fighting game. Tsubaki's dreams continue to be hilariously weird (the doll tied to the head especially), although I expected that last one to end up with an uh...messy awakening if you catch my drift.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 00:17   Link #289
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

"If we were doing that there's no way I'd have a doll tied to my head!"

I see some kinship with Tsuritama here, as both seem to be taking a magical realism view of the adolescent male psyche. In the former case it’s all about social anxiety – being stared at, the voice cracking at the worst possible time, unease with social convention, fitting in. Here, it’s sex and love – in a broad sense I think MGX is really a wry look at the way teenaged girls seem like they’re from another planet to inexperienced teenaged boys. Or, as mangaka Riichi Ueshiba has publicly stated that he views the series as a giant robot story, with the girl as the giant robot (thanks to commenter Wendeego at my blog for pointing that out). In makes sense that way if you think about it, especially when you consider what the act of piloting a giant robot symbolizes in anime in the first place. He’s simply added a layer of symbolism – or eliminated one, depending on how you look at it.

Looked at that way, I can almost view MGX as a companion piece to the timeless (and ahead of its time) classic FLCL, which was full of similar themes, but this time centered on the subject of puberty. In the same way Urabe as a giant robot clarifies MGX, thinking of Haruka as puberty itself gives order to the avalanche of symbolism in FLCL. In fact this is probably the best anime that’s purely about the exploration of the adolescent male libido since FLCL – but it’s FLCL grown up, with a high-schooler at its center instead of a kid just entering middle school, and the terrifying alien is the relationship itself and not the physical onset of the awareness of the opposite sex.

I just can't get over how good this show is, on every level. The cast, the music, the direction, the writing - I've never seen anything quite like it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 00:42   Link #290
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post

I see some kinship with Tsuritama here, as both seem to be taking a magical realism view of the adolescent male psyche. In the former case it’s all about social anxiety – being stared at, the voice cracking at the worst possible time, unease with social convention, fitting in. Here, it’s sex and love – in a broad sense I think MGX is really a wry look at the way teenaged girls seem like they’re from another planet to inexperienced teenaged boys. Or, as mangaka Riichi Ueshiba has publicly stated that he views the series as a giant robot story, with the girl as the giant robot (thanks to commenter Wendeego at my blog for pointing that out). In makes sense that way if you think about it, especially when you consider what the act of piloting a giant robot symbolizes in anime in the first place. He’s simply added a layer of symbolism – or eliminated one, depending on how you look at it.

Looked at that way, I can almost view MGX as a companion piece to the timeless (and ahead of its time) classic FLCL, which was full of similar themes, but this time centered on the subject of puberty. In the same way Urabe as a giant robot clarifies MGX, thinking of Haruka as puberty itself gives order to the avalanche of symbolism in FLCL. In fact this is probably the best anime that’s purely about the exploration of the adolescent male libido since FLCL – but it’s FLCL grown up, with a high-schooler at its center instead of a kid just entering middle school, and the terrifying alien is the relationship itself and not the physical onset of the awareness of the opposite sex.

I just can't get over how good this show is, on every level. The cast, the music, the direction, the writing - I've never seen anything quite like it.
Which, at it's core, more or less represents the entirety of adolescence does it not?

In a way it's Freud and Erik Erikson in anime form.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 01:04   Link #291
judasmartel
*Author

Say, how about Hokuto Hyakuretsu Ken with scissors?

EDIT: It appears we will hear Noka for the first time in the next episode.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 03:55   Link #292
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

This anime reminds me of Edward Scissorhand. It rivals in pure absurdity, charm and old school feeling at the same time I find it hard to watch because it's an uncomfortable viewing.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 05:07   Link #293
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Its was like I was transported back to the 90's.

Oh the drool,... nah I've pass that part.... Good beginning...
Really loving the director that's doing this show, his giving it an old school 90's anime feel to it, same with Space Bros which his directing as well. Why can't more anime be like this?
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 10:00   Link #294
Metalsnakezero
Trio Finale!

Spoiler for Lemons:
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic176117_1.gif
Metalsnakezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 10:13   Link #295
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsnakezero View Post
Spoiler for Lemons:
I was wondering what all the lemons were all about
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 10:49   Link #296
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

In my opinion MGX is best served experiencing it. The whole feel cannot be expressed with words. It's really weird but at the same time really sweet. It's very FLCL in puberty and how teenagers explore their relationships. I also like the fact how Urabe is treated like some alien; a notion in which how teenagers or even boys in general see women. You can't understand them at all!
Old 2012-04-15, 10:50   Link #297
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
I was wondering what all the lemons were all about
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5163800AAdMWv6

The screenshot alone makes me think of lemon and lime fanfics. Gonna go check out tonight's episode.
Old 2012-04-15, 14:15   Link #298
Soul Strike
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post

You just made my expectations for MGX skyrocket to the moon. FLCL has been one of my favorite animes, because of the exact thing you said. Please for the love of god tell me I'm not going to be let down now.

On a different note. It seems like I ton of people here are grossed out by the whole drool thing. I am the same way the idea of tasting a pool of saliva honestly makes me want to puke. I wasn't going to even watch this at first, but started anyway. I then quickly realized that the drool is in fact a sexual euphemism and that somehow made it ok to watch. yeah don't ask.
Soul Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 14:45   Link #299
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

The drool so far has been keeping me away from the anime.
Should I get over it and start watching the show?
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 14:47   Link #300
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The second episode was plenty of fun. Gotta love those scissors . I'll give Urabe credit for going to a pretty extreme level to make her point about their bond. Abandoned building, alone with her boyfriend, and a lack of clothing....yeah that should have gotten her heart racing a bit.

Of course tasting Tsubaki's drool in this one turned the tables a bit. Though guess Tsubaki's imagination will have to take note that there will be no dolls involved with that sort of thing way down the road . Despite snapping earlier with the scissors she's definitely more level headed than some who would have actually ripped on Tsubaki for what happens in his dreams.

The manga was fun to read, but these first two episodes have been especially good.

Tags
romance, seinen