AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 63 52.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 30.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 10.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-02, 13:27   Link #161
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
Ryuuji is the type who is very loyal to his friends. He loves them like family and would take a bullet for them without hesitation. I suspect he gets this from his father. Gangs in japan are very often just like that, a close-knit group of friends who would follow each other to the gates of hell. I believe that Taiga has some romantic feelings towards Ryuuji, but she just does not see it herself just yet. Perhaps when it becomes apparent, Ryuuji can develop something similar.
Old 2009-01-02, 13:42   Link #162
wistfulloner

I don't know, but I keep getting the feeling Taiga and Ryuji are like Yamada and Mayama in H&C. Taiga is important to Ryuji as a friend, but never as a lover. Thus, while he cares for her very deeply, he cannot bring himself to romantically love her. Of course, we all know the series is not gonna end that way anyway...
Old 2009-01-02, 14:50   Link #163
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
It not that he can't bring himself to feel this way to her, its that he is too blinded by his infatuation with Minori. He is not purposely avoiding it nor is he ever thinking about Taiga consciously in the way he does Minori. We have no idea how this is going to end, really. The animators could take it in any direction. It does not have to mirror the novels and manga.
Old 2009-01-02, 15:41   Link #164
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka Ronin View Post
He is not purposely avoiding it nor is he ever thinking about Taiga consciously in the way he does Minori.
Actually, he is consciously avoiding it. Ryuuji does find her physically attractive, but really doesn't want to admit it.

Reminds me of Kyon.

Quote:
The animators could take it in any direction. It does not have to mirror the novels and manga.
Yeah, it does. Why do people still have this philosophy? Adaptations should either be exactly like the original, improve upon the original in a non-subjective way, or be completely and totally different.

You can't change a whole bunch of little things, add in a new ending out of left field, and expect the story to still flow.

Since they've followed the novel up until now, (and by episode titles, it appears as thought they're going to keep doing so) any other ending besides the novel ending is going feel really really bad, literary-wise.

Again, you can't set up one ending and then pull a last-minute reset and a switcheroo. It's just bad writing, plain and simple.
Old 2009-01-02, 16:08   Link #165
Baka Ronin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Actually, he is consciously avoiding it. Ryuuji does find her physically attractive, but really doesn't want to admit it.

Reminds me of Kyon.
I have not yet seen any evidence of this, please provide proof to back up your claims.

Quote:
Yeah, it does. Why do people still have this philosophy? Adaptations should either be exactly like the original, improve upon the original in a non-subjective way, or be completely and totally different.

You can't change a whole bunch of little things, add in a new ending out of left field, and expect the story to still flow.

Since they've followed the novel up until now, (and by episode titles, it appears as thought they're going to keep doing so) any other ending besides the novel ending is going feel really really bad, literary-wise.

Again, you can't set up one ending and then pull a last-minute reset and a switcheroo. It's just bad writing, plain and simple.
The animation studio has the rights to do whatever they want with the story. They could have it end with all gay/lesbian pairings if they wanted to and the writer for the manga/novel could not do a thing about it. They just tend to stay close to the original storyline because it is difficult to keep the essence of the story (thus keeping it popular) without doing so.
Old 2009-01-02, 16:29   Link #166
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I have not yet seen any evidence of this, please provide proof to back up your claims.
Read the books. I don't have the energy to actually search out quotes.

Quote:
The animation studio has the rights to do whatever they want with the story. They could have it end with all gay/lesbian pairings if they wanted to and the writer for the manga/novel could not do a thing about it. They just tend to stay close to the original storyline because it is difficult to keep the essence of the story (thus keeping it popular) without doing so.
Animation studios are accountable to the fanbase. Sure, they CAN change the story however they want. SHOULD they? No, no they shouldn't. Everything should kept as close as possible.
Old 2009-01-02, 16:36   Link #167
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
One doesn't have to read the books ... its shown in the anime ...
Episode 1 and 2; his description of her. Further along, the moment when she showed him herself in her bathing suit - it made him uncomfortable.
The girl is considered quite attractive by many in her school - just too volatile.

And yes, the studio has the right to do 'whatever they like' but it also means they can plummet to a fiery death from fan reaction to a poor adaptation. "Adaptation" doesn't mean careen off into lands unknown. Most fans of a work tend to be unhappy when large scale changes or derails are made when converting to the animated medium.
Quote:
I believe that Taiga has some romantic feelings towards Ryuuji, but she just does not see it herself just yet. Perhaps when it becomes apparent, Ryuuji can develop something similar.
That's pretty much the situation at the end of 13; they each know they care about each other... and there have been plenty of "almost" moments where blushing and subject-changing sidestep the epiphany.
Old 2009-01-02, 16:46   Link #168
Baka Ronin

Quote:
Read the books. I don't have the energy to actually search out quotes.
News: this is a thread for episode 13 of the anime. There is a separate thread for the novels, Please post your speculation on the novels in the appropriate thread. If you have no evidence that can be found in the anime to support your claims then no one will take them seriously, least of all me.
Quote:
Animation studios are accountable to the fanbase. Sure, they CAN change the story however they want. SHOULD they? No, no they shouldn't. Everything should kept as close as possible.
Yet you insisted that they could not change it in your previous post. Please keep your discussions consistent. My point is that they can change what they wish. The ending to the anime is not set in stone. To say "they can't change it" is inaccurate.

Last edited by Baka Ronin; 2009-01-02 at 16:47. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-01-02, 18:10   Link #169
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Yet you insisted that they could not change it in your previous post. Please keep your discussions consistent.
Umm Baka Ronin, did you read Kaisos sentence attentively. I am assuming this one sentence you are talking about

Quote:
Now carefully read the bold parts...See? He does not say that the studio cannot change the ending or other things. He is saying that if you change things, you cannot expect for the story to flow.

So he is consistent. You should just read full sentence
Old 2009-01-02, 18:50   Link #170
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
*snip*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
*snip*
Thank you, you two.
Old 2009-01-05, 07:55   Link #171
Pyro Burns

I thought this gonna be tora dora ending
nice face of ryuuji anyway xD
Old 2009-01-05, 13:04   Link #172
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Guys, I've moved all the recent discussion into the Toradora! Generic discussion thread. While interesting, it doesn't really belong here and may discourage people actually wanting to spend some words about episode 13.

Everything has been left untouched, just proceed in there
Old 2009-01-05, 13:55   Link #173
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Well, and preferably, please stay closer to the actual topic this time, and not let it diverge wildly into crazy improbable illustrations and "if" scenarios.
Old 2009-01-05, 18:17   Link #174
destiny4everlove

Episode 13

-Watching Taiga waiting for her father to call her or appear in the school was so painful! That’s why a parent should never break a promise to his/her child or promise something he/she is not going to do. Poor Taiga!

-Ami, “the punisher” was very sexy indeed! She even had a whip!

-Taiga’s father is the worst!! He is such a coward!! He broke both of his promises to Taiga; 1) his promise of going to the school festival and 2) more importantly his promise about living together. And he didn’t even have the pants to face Taiga in person or send the text message to her, he asked Ryuuji to apologize to Taiga in his stead, no wonder Minori despises Taiga’s father. Poor Taiga, she was so looking forward to both of her father’s promises.

-I don’t really think Ryuuji supported Taiga with her father stuff because he was selfish. I think he did it because he truly cares about Taiga and wants to see her happy, so he did what he thought was best for her a.k.a help her reconcile with her father.

-Taiga looked so beautifully cute as an angel!

-When Ami called Taiga’s father to come up on the stage and there was no answer my heart stopped and I started feeling so sad for Taiga.

-Watching Minori crying and clapping with all of her might broke my heart! Minorin is so awesome!!!

-I loved how thanks to Ryuuji and Minori, all the school started clapping for Taiga and shouting words of encouragement to her.

-You gotta love Taiga for what she did in this episode! I loved how instead of crying because of what her father did to her she decided to be brave, face the crowd and continue with the show. She is very brave and amazing indeed.

-Yay! Taiga won the contest!

-Ryuuji waiting to go to Taiga’s side so badly because she was alone was so sweet.

-Loved the race!! It was the best part of the episode IMHO. It was funny, it was cute and it was so touching!!

-I don’t like Taiga’s dad at all , but I’m so glad that Taiga has great friends in her life.

-Maybe I’m wrong, but I kind of get the feeling that Taiga sees Minori as a mother figure...

-This is a first for me but I’m having such a hard time choosing only one pairing to support in this series. I like all of them!! Taiga x Ryuuji, Taiga x Kitamura, Ryuuji x Minori, Ryuuji x Ami…mmm…now that I think about it…I guess the pairings I don’t like are Kitamura x Minori, Kitamura x Ami.

I can’t wait to watch the next episode!

Thank you so much for my beautiful avy and my amazing sig, TheEroKing!!!
Old 2009-01-05, 19:29   Link #175
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Perhaps many people missed the fact that 13 eps we saw so far is foundation formation of relationship they going to have later. It is certainly more realistic than sudden girlfriend syndrome that we seen too much in anime starting from late 90s. Somethings take more time to happen.
Old 2009-01-05, 19:56   Link #176
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Perhaps many people missed the fact that 13 eps we saw so far is foundation formation of relationship they going to have later. It is certainly more realistic than sudden girlfriend syndrome that we seen too much in anime starting from late 90s. Somethings take more time to happen.
I agree i think people have seen so many animes where the love interest is established pretty much from the start and the series proceeds to show us a number of events that lead up to the ALREADY established love interest getting together with some minor hickups in the road like misunderstandings, or a harem for instance.

Ryu and Taiga imo are doing what we actually do in real life becoming friends with someone that later leads to a realtionship through common interest, understanding ect ect. Building a foundation for a relationship is common sense in real life Toradora just happen to incorperate that into the series. Im not 100% sure of whats going to happen but there is plenty of evidence to support that the two are not just walking down a friends path.
Old 2009-01-05, 20:32   Link #177
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Guys, I've moved all the recent discussion into the Toradora! Generic discussion thread. While interesting, it doesn't really belong here and may discourage people actually wanting to spend some words about episode 13.

Haha, before I finally read this I thought I was going crazy.

"Wait, wasn't this thread bigger this morning?"

You are right though, it all got pretty off-topic. I think I may wanna rewatch this episode too, given the delay in between episodes and the next episode not being connected to the main story. Shame it's not on Crunchyroll anymore.
Old 2009-01-05, 22:17   Link #178
Caster13
=^_^=

I've been meaning to make a post but haven't had the chance.

There's really only one thing I want to say about episode thirteen:

Taiga looked so amazingly beautiful.
Old 2009-01-06, 01:50   Link #179
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caster13 View Post
I've been meaning to make a post but haven't had the chance.

There's really only one thing I want to say about episode thirteen:

Taiga looked so amazingly beautiful.
I couldn't agree more

Although if you told that to her straight to the face I'm sure it would shave a few years off your life.
Old 2009-01-06, 15:45   Link #180
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The "angry torn dress" moment was very very Taiga.... but so was the happiness after the race.