Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-05, 09:22   Link #61
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
In the words of Issac Washington(HoD Wii), there is "NO ******* WAY " this topic is getting away without mentioning Luca Blight. Now THAT'S a bastard.
Luca Blight is amazing, quite frankly one of my most favorite villain in a video game. I like how everything leads back to his dad killing his mom.

Anyway has anyone mentioned Master Chief? The worse video game character conceived he's not even a person, he's as generic as you can get.
Old 2009-04-05, 13:17   Link #62
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
We may find huge weapons impossible to wield, but these game characters have super human strength. You can accept their super human strength but not their ability to wield those weapons?
Even a superhumanly strong character would find it very difficult to wield a Buster Sword, especially the way Cloud does.
Old 2009-04-05, 17:54   Link #63
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Even a superhumanly strong character would find it very difficult to wield a Buster Sword, especially the way Cloud does.
You probably have not seen enough of superhumanly strong characters then and you're viewing it in a humanly perspective.

When a character is superhuman, he comes with all the strength needed to wield his weapon, the weapon's size and weight mean nothing to him. Those characters have strength to swing trees faster than you can swing a bat.

Karura of Utawarerumono, she didn't even state her maximum lifting limit and she demanded the largest sword possible. When she recieved it, she lifted it with one hand and swung it effortlessly.

One Piece, characters are known to throw whole buildings, 1000 ton cannon balls across the sea, lift entire boats and throw it in the sky etc.

Fist of the North Star, Ken can bend steel I-beams with one hand like he's dealing with plasticine.

Even in Dissidia, Jecht probably has more strength than Cloud, with one easy swing, he plunges his sword 3/4 way into the ground, a single punch sent Tidus flying off and when Tidus hit a wall, Jecht is already there.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-04-05, 18:04   Link #64
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
suspension of disbelief can only go so far. you have to draw the line some where, right?
Mine's waaaaaaay over yonder. I have quite a large suspension of disbelief limit, fortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
hey hey hey, I didn't say that, I just say the effectiveness of their weapons is what makes it unplausible to me. Does it mean i'm not gonna go play my import copy of super robot wars k? No, it just means that its harder for me to see how a gun loses to sword, it would be like saying paper loses to rock in roshanbuu
Depends on how you view it. Normal human with sword versus normal human with gun, the gun wins. However, a sword is dependent on its wielder for speed, so if you add superpowers then the swords suddenly becomes faster. Meanwhile, a gun has a set speed, so even if the user can move fast, this doesn't change the speed of the bullet.

I also finished watching a documentary yesterday which had a part showing that a katana can slice bullets. The main problem is blocking the things in the first place.

Well... that, and the fact that even if you do manage to slice a bullet in two, all that changes is that you then have two pieces of lead stuck inside your body.
Old 2009-04-05, 18:07   Link #65
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Alucard from Hellsing can duel-wield a .454 Casull and 13mm pistol, two guns no human being can hold when length, weight, and caliber recoil are taken into factor...Then again, Alucard is a vampire, and not a human being...

As for humans wielding ungodly weapons, go figure that fucker out...

I guess that's why they call it "Fiction"...

Anyway, the Imperial Purge Troopers in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed are fucking stupid...They're an environmental enemy that are tougher to defeat than most mini-bosses or level bosses...Taking them down isn't too hard of a problem once you've level up your force powers and played the game for a long time, but they're still broken and annoying as shit to take down, and things get even worse if there are two or more in the same area...
Old 2009-04-05, 18:16   Link #66
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Depends on how you view it. Normal human with sword versus normal human with gun, the gun wins. However, a sword is dependent on its wielder for speed, so if you add superpowers then the swords suddenly becomes faster. Meanwhile, a gun has a set speed, so even if the user can move fast, this doesn't change the speed of the bullet.
Yes, when you have people like Cloud who can jump miles into the sky while breaking the sound barrier, your swing with a sword is way deadlier than a gun.

Robots using melee weapons, if you can fly at mach 5 or something why not fly in and slash? In space even a bullet, a missile, a rocket would be travelling just as fast as you can move with your rocket thrusters. And when your beam attacks are uselss against your enemy's beam barrier, why not go in for a melee takedown?

Old 2009-04-05, 18:16   Link #67
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Anyway, the Imperial Purge Troopers in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed are fucking stupid...They're an environmental enemy that are tougher to defeat than most mini-bosses or level bosses...Taking them down isn't too hard of a problem once you've level up your force powers and played the game for a long time, but they're still broken and annoying as shit to take down, and things get even worse if there are two or more in the same area...
Oh hell. Agreed. The troopers themselves aren't really that much of an issue... but their missiles. Oh god the missiles. If it wasn't enough that they took chunks out of your life, they also have a knockback. Seeing two or more of those was usually an 'Oh... crap' moment.
Old 2009-04-05, 18:24   Link #68
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
You probably have not seen enough of superhumanly strong characters then and you're viewing it in a humanly perspective.

When a character is superhuman, he comes with all the strength needed to wield his weapon, the weapon's size and weight mean nothing to him. Those characters have strength to swing trees faster than you can swing a bat.

Karura of Utawarerumono, she didn't even state her maximum lifting limit and she demanded the largest sword possible. When she recieved it, she lifted it with one hand and swung it effortlessly.

One Piece, characters are known to throw whole buildings, 1000 ton cannon balls across the sea, lift entire boats and throw it in the sky etc.

Fist of the North Star, Ken can bend steel I-beams with one hand like he's dealing with plasticine.

Even in Dissidia, Jecht probably has more strength than Cloud, with one easy swing, he plunges his sword 3/4 way into the ground, a single punch sent Tidus flying off and when Tidus hit a wall, Jecht is already there.
So superhuman characters can break established laws of physics with their GAR? Huh, makes sense. SPIRAL ENERGY and all.
Old 2009-04-05, 18:28   Link #69
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Though I don't like to use the word GAR, but you get it somehow.

Physics have already been broken when magic and the force is included.

Old 2009-04-05, 18:43   Link #70
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Magic is not even needed. Most games break physics in one way or another. In Call of Duty you can get shot and yet keep on moving as if nothing happened, just to name an example.
Old 2009-04-05, 19:51   Link #71
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Magic is not even needed. Most games break physics in one way or another. In Call of Duty you can get shot and yet keep on moving as if nothing happened, just to name an example.
Even better with Call of Duty and Rainbow Six: Vegas is automatic health regeneration...

Or if you want to be more realistic, I remember in the PS2 Medal of Honor games, canteens and wild fruit are effective remedies to any injuries, especially gunshots, that you sustain...
Old 2009-04-05, 19:53   Link #72
Justin Kim
*Artist

I love Tifa . Hate all the other Final Fantasy girls that came after her -_-. Her group...makes me wish I was in the game.
Old 2009-04-07, 00:38   Link #73
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I don't know, I wouldn't really consider her a good example of an "empowering" female lead.

Spoiler for why:
Hehe, I haven't finished the game yet. I'm playing alot of games at the same time. Looks like I wouldn't come to like her as much at the end. She's super pretty though

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Old 2009-04-07, 19:58   Link #74
Justin Kim
*Artist

Another terrible video game character: The main character of Call of Cthulu. Terrible voice acting, and the script did not make any sense at all. It was almost devoid of any plot during the game.
Old 2009-04-08, 09:13   Link #75
Girsej

Well, considering that most JRPGs are marketed toward teenagers, I see no problem with all these non-likable characters in the genre. For me, the age and culture difference between myself and characters usually 'cause a lot of friction but then, as I said, the game is not aimed at me.

However, Western games with gruff macho space marines makes me want to puke, I couldn't even stomach finishing Gears of War (I've finished Killzone 2 but I felt the same there). I find it strange that a game with seemingly middle-aged men(ugly designs seems to be the new black in the this console generation) cateers toward the same audience that JRPGs, namely teenagers. I haven't meet anyone who can connect with any of the steroid-junkies in games nowaday, it's really sad.
Old 2009-04-08, 14:59   Link #76
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girsej View Post
Well, considering that most JRPGs are marketed toward teenagers, I see no problem with all these non-likable characters in the genre. For me, the age and culture difference between myself and characters usually 'cause a lot of friction but then, as I said, the game is not aimed at me.

However, Western games with gruff macho space marines makes me want to puke, I couldn't even stomach finishing Gears of War (I've finished Killzone 2 but I felt the same there). I find it strange that a game with seemingly middle-aged men(ugly designs seems to be the new black in the this console generation) cateers toward the same audience that JRPGs, namely teenagers. I haven't meet anyone who can connect with any of the steroid-junkies in games nowaday, it's really sad.
so are you saying you would have prefer to have a baby-faced-teenager-with-spikey-hair over a gruff-mean-mother-f*****-that-looks-like-he-could-kill-you-with-a-wet-paper-bag while blasting big bad guys?

GoW would never have worked with some clean-shaven-smooth-skinned-youth, would never ever work ever!

I'll admit I do like nice character designs that are pleasing to the eye but I also like that the design will fit with the setting of the game.

and btw I'm not sure if your comparing JRPG with FPS, if you are you shouldn't. JRPGs are aimed at well the japanese population, while FPS are aimed for well really those that are not asian, asians are not into the whole FPS thing

I have to mention that Raiden from MGS is well not particularly a fav character, even in the MGS4 I still don't like him.

oh and heres why sword > gun ^__^

Old 2009-04-08, 16:05   Link #77
Justin Kim
*Artist

LOL HOLY...^ Bonta I never thought that was actually possible for a Katana to do that to a bullet. I was actually shocked with the Youtube video you posted. But I would probably assume that same outcomes doesn't apply to bullets of high caliber range. Unless the Katana was preferably bigger sized. (Custom made). But even then, the components / design of the Katana would have to be re-calculated. The Japanese are the masters of precision, deadly sharp swords anyhow=/. They probably can do it, with a little time that is.
Old 2009-04-08, 16:42   Link #78
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Amazing video XD, the guy who did the funny comments is hilarious.
Old 2009-04-08, 18:49   Link #79
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
oh and heres why sword > gun ^__^

It's a testament to precise care and build of a quality katana's strength and sharpness, but not any justification for bringing a katana to a gun fight since any practical application of that in a real life battle probably wouldn't work out too good for the katana holder...The only quality katanas that you could find that could do that are the really old original swords or modern-day "shinsakuto" swords, both of which would be too priceless and expensive, respectively, to subject to any sort of firearm treatment like this...

Remember, a myth is a myth, and firearms and swords alike adhere to the laws of physics...

Case in point, your video showed the outcome of a katana versus a 1911 chambered in (What I would assume to be) .45 ACP...Pistol rounds, with exceptions to hollow points, don't penetrate nearly as well as a rifle round would; Half has to do with construction, the other half, because of construction, has to do with kinetic energy...A .45 ACP pistol round only puts out ~350-500 412 ft·lb force, while a 5.56x45mm rifle round can put out nearly ~1800 ft·lb force...

But what would happen if you took an anti-material round like the .50 BMG in the Browning M2 machine gun and put it up against the katana? The .50 BMG can put out ~11,500-15,000 ft·lb force, nearly 30 times more force than the .45 ACP in your video...Unfortunately, the physics didn't fare so well for the katana this time around...

How's that for impractical application?
Old 2009-04-08, 20:48   Link #80
Justin Kim
*Artist

Ugh, I just don't like how Katanas in society have gone from simplistically deadly to getting all modernized. Now we use different material, but who knows? Is the material any weaker or stronger than the ones used by Samurais in Japan?
Closed Thread