Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-22, 02:35   Link #1
NeoChan
Banned

Philippines Vs China Maritime Disputes

First, it was Spratlys, now Scarbough Shoals, what is China's intention in claiming territories so close to the Philippines.

Is it bullying by a super power like China against a 3rd world country such as the Philippines?

Is China's claim ridiculous?

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/334...rborough-shoal
Old 2012-04-22, 02:37   Link #2
Kyuu
=^^=

Natural gas claims, I believe. And China hungers for energy sources. And yes, to claim an entire just because it is named "South China Sea"... that doesn't mean China has rights to the whole thing. So, making claims like this -- China is becoming quite the bad neighbor.
Old 2012-04-22, 02:41   Link #3
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Vietnam has its bad shares of China intruding into Vietnamese territory as well.

But as least the countries involved are using diplomacy and not using pot shots from their naval ships.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2012-04-22, 02:51   Link #4
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
By the way, uhmm...

...Come on China, you must be joking.
Old 2012-04-22, 02:57   Link #5
Sumeragi
Banned

You know, given the treaty PRC signed with ASEAN, I always laugh whenever PRC pulls this off and keep saying they're working for a peaceful rise.
Old 2012-04-22, 02:59   Link #6
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

From a geographical point of view, the Philippines and Malaysia have rights on this neighboring spatter of reefs and small islands. Brunei and Vietnam have more remote claims, but indeed, the PRC is being over-arrogant trying to appropriate the Spratlys (also called Nansha islands). History is of little use; if the "finders keepers forever" rule were to be applied, the U.S. would be actually Spanish/British/French instead of being an independent nation.

Well, the U.S. aren't certainly the only ones being extremely annoyed and threatened by the PRC's dreams of supremacy in the South China Sea. Vietnam recently bought two extremely modern warships from Russia in order to shift the scales of power in the region and, not too long ago, even invited an American aircraft carrier to sail in the SCS (they even had the chance to visit the said AC to appreciate their old enemy's firepower). And very recently, the Philippines led military exercises with USMC troops on the western part of the Philippine archipelago (Palawan and such). Since that area is quite important for the country (tourism, fishing - even maritime activity at Puerto Princesa), it's Manila's way of saying "back off, I got friends to call on right here."

As for the U.S., it's certain that the PRC's decision to bolster its naval strength is worrisome (the Chinese bought a couple years back the old USSR-built Varyag aircraft carrier, though it's still not fully operational); a year or two prior, they even decided to send at least two of the SSGN-reconverted Ohio subs to loiter in the area (Taiwan and Japan), thus bringing at least 308 ready-to-fire Tomahawks right on China's doorstep. And I don't think those consecutive shows of force are going to stop anytime soon.
Old 2012-04-22, 03:12   Link #7
NeoChan
Banned

They might be able to occupy my country when a war happens by I'm sure, no Chinese soldier would like to remain here because we're going head hunting every night!
Old 2012-04-22, 03:30   Link #8
Ridwan

Some spice to add into the sauce.
Old 2012-04-22, 04:39   Link #9
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
They might be able to occupy my country when a war happens by I'm sure, no Chinese soldier would like to remain here because we're going head hunting every night!
Claiming a part of sea with resources to be developed lying underneath it could be profitable. Invading the Philippines and having to deal with the local population is not.
China won't invade, don't worry....
Old 2012-04-22, 05:39   Link #10
Hoaviet

Yeah its cause China are using a map from before the UN was established
Old 2012-04-22, 06:03   Link #11
NeoChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Claiming a part of sea with resources to be developed lying underneath it could be profitable.
...right, for there own benefit. That point doesn't resolve anything. It only proves how China is so greedy for more resources to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoaviet View Post
Yeah its cause China are using a map from before the UN was established
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
So these map ain't valid?
Old 2012-04-22, 07:24   Link #12
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I'm pretty sure the map is valid in regards to the location of these islands and shoals. I agree, it's quite apparent to any casual viewer that China is nuts making claims to these areas that are so close to other nations.

Endless "Casual viewer" Soul
Old 2012-04-22, 07:44   Link #13
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
The Philippine government has proposed taking the Panatag issue to the International Tribunal on the Law of the Sea, but the Chinese government has rejected this, insisting on bilateral discussions and "friendly consultations". by Wikipedia
Just note the words "friendly consultations"... and its already funny after PRC sending two patrol ships to the area.
Old 2012-04-22, 08:02   Link #14
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

China confirmed for scared to take things to the real experts in maritime boundaries.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2012-04-22, 08:06   Link #15
HasuMasu
*Artist

It's closer than the tip of Palawan, what the hell.
Old 2012-04-22, 08:35   Link #16
Fuyuno
Banned

I'm pretty surprised that I still remember when Philippines claimed Sabah from Malaysia nearly two decades ago. While I don't want to choose side but if both sides want to blame someone, just blame the Brits.
Old 2012-04-22, 08:43   Link #17
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It's going to be hilariously ironic when the increasingly xenophobic protesters demanding that the VFA be junked and calling for Yankee Go Home become the very same people clamoring for American help when the shooting starts.
Old 2012-04-22, 08:52   Link #18
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
It's going to be hilariously ironic when the increasingly xenophobic protesters demanding that the VFA be junked and calling for Yankee Go Home become the very same people clamoring for American help when the shooting starts.
These protesters are undercover pro-communist activists who says USA is more dangerous than PRC and North Korea. These communist shouldn't make their true ideals be sprouting in the obvious. They should just go to the mountains so that our soldiers can pay them a visit!
Old 2012-04-22, 09:27   Link #19
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
They should just go to the mountains so that our soldiers can pay them a visit!
Isn't mountain warfare much suited for defensive warfare ? You should expect a good deal of casualty on your soldiers's side if this scenario would happen.
Old 2012-04-22, 10:18   Link #20
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Isn't mountain warfare much suited for defensive warfare ? You should expect a good deal of casualty on your soldiers's side if this scenario would happen.
Usually they would flatten the mountain with incendiary and penetrator rounds before storming it. If not, they would storm it at night and clear out the bunkers one-by-one after identifying it with drones and FLIR binoculars/rangefinders - it is almost impossible to expect an enemy dropping a satchel charge into your pothole and blowing you to bits at 2am in the morning.

Usually QRF squadrons have a Mountain Warfare division devoted entirely to rooting out the defenders of a mountain, scaling up unexpected cliff edges or simply crawling on their bellies up the slope, then calling in artillery on the bunkers.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Closed Thread