AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-08-06, 15:20   Link #8941
Gravitas Free Zone

Putting aside the No Swastikas issue for now, WG's move looks bad because Stalin and Stalinism caused the death of tens of millions of people as much as the Other Guy did, but since WG hails from the Motherland and the Motherland wobbles between repudiating and rehabilitating the guy... they can do what they want and put back in things that tick people off in various swathes of Europe.

The translated Chinese inscriptions are notably bland (though that could just be a result of the translations). I would imagine that the Japanese ones won't be especially inflammatory either... not that Chinese and Japanese gamers need silly tiny game inscriptions to enrage each other.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 15:34   Link #8942
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Well I think the majority of the NA fanbase has little to no knowledge of russian, so it won't be much of a shock about a decal that says "For Stalin!". Besides Stalin could definitely fall in the villian with very good publicity and since the ruskies only limited their mass murder in their "own lands" and weren't messing with other european countries or etnic groups others than theirs, the rest of the world simply "don't give a f*ck about them".
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 16:03   Link #8943
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigon 13 View Post
...since the ruskies only limited their mass murder in their "own lands" and weren't messing with other european countries or etnic groups others than theirs, the rest of the world simply "don't give a f*ck about them".
Poland (for one) would have quite a bit to argue about that with you.
Old 2013-08-06, 16:40   Link #8944
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Poland (for one) would have quite a bit to argue about that with you.
Might as well add Ukraine to the list and the Baltic states.

Anyone seen old archived videos would recognize legions of Ukrainians and even Russians initially lining up to welcome German invaders during the initial phases of Barbarossa.

Oh yeah, Stalin was hated.

Except its not very popular history amongst the Russians, for obvious reasons. Not that I am offended in anyway, but if they are going to add a mass murderer as an inscription, then give us the Swastika. If WG wants to a douch, then at least be an equal-opportunity douche.

Quote:
... not that Chinese and Japanese gamers need silly game inscriptions to enrage each other
I don't recall them having slogans during the war that would have been considered too racist. Though I imagine Japanese inscriptions would be more neutral and historic.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2013-08-06 at 16:53.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 18:28   Link #8945
Gravitas Free Zone

WG is getting some significant heat on the WoT forums for this.
Old 2013-08-06, 19:23   Link #8946
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I should note that accordingvto German law, it is illegal to depict the swastika. Hence why the WW2 Call of Duty games are banned there.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 19:29   Link #8947
Gravitas Free Zone

The swastika argument is a valid legal/commercial issue, and well-known. The consensus reaction to YOU GET STALIN NOW appears to be more concerned with WG deciding to use the "historical accuracy" explanation to excuse their Soviet Bias™, particularly when the "historical accuracy" explanation has a track record of being "Whatever we want 'historical' and 'accuracy' to mean at the time."
Old 2013-08-06, 20:23   Link #8948
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
The swastika argument is a valid legal/commercial issue, and well-known. The consensus reaction to YOU GET STALIN NOW appears to be more concerned with WG deciding to use the "historical accuracy" explanation to excuse their Soviet Bias™, particularly when the "historical accuracy" explanation has a track record of being "Whatever we want 'historical' and 'accuracy' to mean at the time."

That's because there's no law forbidding Stalin inscriptions and there are laws (presumably) forbidding Hitler inscriptions.

Also, WG is from Belarus, not Russia.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 20:48   Link #8949
Gravitas Free Zone

Belarus is a strange, strange land these days.

In other news...

To think that I could spend my time bettering my life.

Old 2013-08-06, 21:02   Link #8950
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
You're catching up to me. Now I can't be the old geezer with a gazillion battles anymore
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 21:16   Link #8951
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Not playing this, but i thought that whole Stalin inscription was quite understandable. Because nowadays Neo-Nazi still exist, and any acts related to Hitler and Swastikas then may see as a promotion for these group.

Stalin meanwhile, basically have became a historical figure, and his idea or actions poses almost no risk to modern society. Just like Japanese 's raising sun is pretty much part of history now (Korean and Chinese aside, as these two nations still believe Japan's master plan on militarizing and enslaving them).
Old 2013-08-06, 21:16   Link #8952
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
The translated Chinese inscriptions are notably bland (though that could just be a result of the translations). I would imagine that the Japanese ones won't be especially inflammatory either... not that Chinese and Japanese gamers need silly tiny game inscriptions to enrage each other.
I'm actually working on Japanese inscriptions also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Just like Japanese 's raising sun is pretty much part of history now, Korean and Chinese aside, as these two nations still believe Japan's master plan on militarizing and enslaving them.
I've been shooting down any WG suggestions of using the Kyokujitsu-Ki in WoT. That flag was not used by IJA on tanks.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 21:28   Link #8953
LeoXiao
思想工作

The Chinese descriptions are quite bland in my opinion, and I've never seen the English translations.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 21:55   Link #8954
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
The Chinese descriptions are quite bland in my opinion, and I've never seen the English translations.
Now you get to compare:

Images
Click to enlarge thumbnail of course.
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-08-06, 22:54   Link #8955
Tak

Translations are a little off, sometimes they are just funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I've been shooting down any WG suggestions of using the Kyokujitsu-Ki in WoT. That flag was not used by IJA on tanks.
Fine and dandy, but I better have them for my Cold War JSDF tanks.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2013-08-06, 23:23   Link #8956
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Fine and dandy, but I better have them for my Cold War JSDF tanks.
I'll answer with one word: No.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 23:35   Link #8957
Tak

Thats your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post

Never mind that a variation is the emblem of the JSDF.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2013-08-06 at 23:56.
Old 2013-08-07, 00:04   Link #8958
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Thats your problem.

Never mind that a variation is the emblem of the JSDF.

- Tak
You really should know the difference between Japanese army and navy equipment there...
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 00:19   Link #8959
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
You really should know the difference between Japanese army and navy equipment there...
You have a valid point. She did say IJA.

I guess as punishment, I will ask her to whip me later.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2013-08-07 at 00:31.
Old 2013-08-07, 07:49   Link #8960
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I have noticed a lot more fires happening lately, though I have no idea if anything was changed or if I just learned how to actually aim. Managed to set 2 StuGs on fire in the same match over the course of 30 seconds yesterday. Almost surprised that didn't get me accused of hacking, though with the match being an utter blowout and my "whopping" 4 kills being more than the rest of my team had combined, I doubt anyone on the other team cared.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mmo games, war game, wargaming.net, world of tanks