AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-04-04, 05:44   Link #1481
maxxus0923
Fairy Legion

I don't like either way... >,< seriously
maxxus0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 06:46   Link #1482
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Yeah, but if you're gonna be eaten ANYWAY--eaten by alien monsters is horrifying.

...eaten by overweight naked men? That's God's idea of a practical joke.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 11:02   Link #1483
maxxus0923
Fairy Legion

At least let me fight dammit! Who would want to be eaten by a 120 ft naked giant? The worst of it all they don't even look remotely nice. At least I can explain Tank-class or Soldier class looks...
Old 2013-04-08, 05:16   Link #1484
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I think this is the right place for this question...

What insignia does the UN use for rank? They probably don't follow the US...

my guess is something similar to the British. 1-3 pips for 2LT - CPT, then either 1-3 mini UN Globe wreath/crown emblems for MAJ - COL, or a combination of globe & pips.

Your thoughts?

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 06:50   Link #1485
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I think this is the right place for this question...

What insignia does the UN use for rank? They probably don't follow the US...

my guess is something similar to the British. 1-3 pips for 2LT - CPT, then either 1-3 mini UN Globe wreath/crown emblems for MAJ - COL, or a combination of globe & pips.

Your thoughts?
IIRC they follow the Japanese one.

柚香マイワイフ!<3
issuzark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 07:14   Link #1486
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by issuzark View Post
IIRC they follow the Japanese one.
Pip and Sakura? I'd have thought they'd go for something else to represent the flower; UK/Commonwealth use pips and crowns...

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-04-08, 07:54   Link #1487
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Pip and Sakura? I'd have thought they'd go for something else to represent the flower; UK/Commonwealth use pips and crowns...
- Did you REALLY think a Japanese company is going to use anythign BUT Japanese standards for a japanese game?
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 08:53   Link #1488
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

From what I've seen in the VN, they use wedge-shaped pips attached to that...collar...bit thing (I'm no good with clothing terminology, okay?). Yuuko on the other hand seems to be wearing Tron lines.

In fact, I don't think we ever see a UN officer who wears a normal uniform with epaulets like other armies have, given those point shoulders things.

IJA certainly follows the pip-and-sakura routine, but the UN? I don't think so.
Alastor Mobius Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 04:46   Link #1489
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post
From what I've seen in the VN, they use wedge-shaped pips attached to that...collar...bit thing (I'm no good with clothing terminology, okay?). Yuuko on the other hand seems to be wearing Tron lines.

In fact, I don't think we ever see a UN officer who wears a normal uniform with epaulets like other armies have, given those point shoulders things.

IJA certainly follows the pip-and-sakura routine, but the UN? I don't think so.
Yuuko isn't even supposed to wear any rankings. She doesn't have any.

柚香マイワイフ!<3
Old 2013-04-09, 09:23   Link #1490
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Yuuko isn't even supposed to wear any rankings. She doesn't have any.
Actually since she is the 2IC (or vice-commander) of Yokohama base she does have a rank. We just never see it because she never takes off that fraking lab coat... God only knows what its made of, since it seems to repel dirt, blood, teeth and laser class beams...

Here are some pics of what they look like:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 11:54   Link #1491
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

.... The fuck. Motherfucking hell. Terminal Lance says it for me: what kind of butt-fucking sorcery is this?.

Also, I'm quite sure that this happens on a regular basis with UN uniforms.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-04-09, 17:33   Link #1492
sasahar17

Holy cow, thank goodness the Singapore Army don't have their ranks like that! Goose is right: from a distance they'd all look the same! Can you imagine looking at this guy approaching and trying to figure out if what rank he is just from a couple of squiggily lines on this blue patch?
sasahar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 18:16   Link #1493
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I suspect this is why much of the TE cast were 2LTs. I know for me this would be a nightmare, especially since I need new glasses. -_-

On further reflection, this now gives me inspiration for Garuda Wings. XD

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2013-04-09 at 21:08.
Old 2013-04-09, 20:47   Link #1494
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
I suspect this is why much of the TE cast were 2LTs. I know for me this would be a nightmare, especially since I need new glasses. -_-
That's because most of the people in TE were just lowly test pilots, and 2LT is the lowest after drafting. Heh.

柚香マイワイフ!<3
Old 2013-04-09, 21:59   Link #1495
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
That's because most of the people in TE were just lowly test pilots, and 2LT is the lowest after drafting. Heh.
True, but then I've noted that the UN tends to demote people as well: Sandek and Ibrahim are both 1LTs, but they were previously a Major and a Captain respectively.

Of course, the worse is Marimo, who goes from being an IJA Major and Fuji School Aggressor and 1st TAW ace to being a Drill Sergeant. The pay must be good. Either that or Yuuko's bed is very comfortable~

...why yes, I ship YuukoxMarimo for lulz and Yuuko trolling.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-04-10, 02:09   Link #1496
maxxus0923
Fairy Legion

Quote:
True, but then I've noted that the UN tends to demote people as well: Sandek and Ibrahim are both 1LTs, but they were previously a Major and a Captain respectively.

Of course, the worse is Marimo, who goes from being an IJA Major and Fuji School Aggressor and 1st TAW ace to being a Drill Sergeant. The pay must be good. Either that or Yuuko's bed is very comfortable~

...why yes, I ship YuukoxMarimo for lulz and Yuuko trolling.
the nose bleed that it will produce would be akin to a tidal wave.... Yuuko and Marimo on one bed? You've got to be kidding me, thats a wet dream came true!
Old 2013-04-10, 04:44   Link #1497
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Its not that they get demoted for nothing. Its the same all over the world IRL where exchange of military personnel happens, and Senior Staff needs to be trained by the local forces. So since they cant be expected to function in the other army at the position their rank would normally hold, the incoming personnel would normally be given a temporary downgrade in rank, so that they can get used to the culture and way of doing things without having to learn while being in command (which would cause some lost of respect).

It must be said though, that the MLAverse does cut off quite a bit, turning Colonels and Majors into LTs and Sgts... which IRL would be quite the insult.

And yes, Marimo is doing Yuuko a favor by going over to train her Personal Honor Guard. Probably assisted with the blackmail of a few pictures...

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 10:24   Link #1498
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
And yes, Marimo is doing Yuuko a favor by going over to train her Personal Honor Guard. Probably assisted with the blackmail of a few pictures...
What would I pay for a miko Marimo /whistle
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 10:27   Link #1499
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Its not that they get demoted for nothing. Its the same all over the world IRL where exchange of military personnel happens, and Senior Staff needs to be trained by the local forces. So since they cant be expected to function in the other army at the position their rank would normally hold, the incoming personnel would normally be given a temporary downgrade in rank, so that they can get used to the culture and way of doing things without having to learn while being in command (which would cause some lost of respect).
Yeah, but usually when they do exchanges, they make sure the officers sent are actually capable enough, so that no downgrades happen. Note the Aussie 3-star who for a time commanded US Army forces on Hawaii.

Quote:
It must be said though, that the MLAverse does cut off quite a bit, turning Colonels and Majors into LTs and Sgts... which IRL would be quite the insult.
Other thing I could think of is that UN sorts people based on position. Sandek and Ibrahim are a Major and Captain respectively, but because they're Flight Leaders, they rate 1st Lieutenant only. So poor Marimo is a Sergeant because you can't have a Major as a DI. *shrug* Latrova, being a Lieutenant Colonel, has sufficient rank for her battalion, even if it's understrength.

Quote:
I completely agree.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-04-10, 21:48   Link #1500
sasahar17

Quote:
Quote:
I completely agree.
Blackmailing Marimo with embarassing photos? That sounds like Yuuko. I wonder what could be on them?
sasahar17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eroge, military science fiction, yuimoto