AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-08, 11:08   Link #881
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
@Cyclone: I appreciate the compliment . I think the data books are referring to Priscilla's height as a claymore as it is the organizations compilation (although I have only skimmed the data book once so I could be mistaken). AB Priscilla, not her awakened form of course, is shorter than Raki, and Raki really only comes to Clare's shoulder. I flipped through the manga to check it out looking for reference and Priscilla always is shorter than young Raki. It really seems that Priscilla only comes to Raki's eyes from what I could see. That is much more than the 2 inch difference to Clare's height of 5'7" I think. It means Clare is a whole head taller than Priscilla and then some. Although I might just not have looked over the data books close enough.

@Ancient_soul: I see I am not the only one who wonders how Raki's cooking skill has improved over the last 7 years . Youma might be delicious and nutritious.
We only really see shots ever comapring them when they are both standing (usually Pricilla is sitting). One seems to have Pricilla slightly shorter, but the other (Pricilla throwin herself onto Raki's back) would indicate she's actually a bit taller (her arms are over his shoulders).
Old 2008-06-08, 11:10   Link #882
Arkanis

Does anyone have an idea, why Raki's hair color changed?
Old 2008-06-08, 11:11   Link #883
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanis View Post
Does anyone have an idea, why Raki's hair color changed?
He's always been blonde
Old 2008-06-08, 11:12   Link #884
Flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergon View Post
I think young Sid and Clare are about the same height. [...] The shots with Clare and Sid, it looks like shes leaning back, he tends to get too close for comfort
Hah! So Clare is crouching in the following frame, to be still a head shorter?
Spoiler for heights:
Old 2008-06-08, 11:18   Link #885
ergon

the only somewhat reliable way to measure the characters is when they're side by side. I don't think there is a side by side shot of Clare and Sid. I had to compare them to the guards and Raki.
Old 2008-06-08, 11:18   Link #886
Flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
If your only point is to show relative sizes of new Raki to Galk, doing so in only 2 montages would have been much better as it eliminates compound error. No need to go through Clare, Cid, and Galk.
No, no, I was focalizing on Priscilla. There was a claim before that for the kid to be priscilla, Raki would have to be 280cm or something, so I needed to establish comparison with the kid's height and Priscilla's, and, as you argued Priscilla couldn't be that short, I had to provide comparison of Priscilla's height with other people. I admit Glak, Sid and Clare are redundant, but they give a better sense of scale.
Old 2008-06-08, 11:19   Link #887
Flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergon View Post
the only somewhat reliable way to measure the characters is when they're side by side. I don't think there is a side by side shot of Clare and Sid. I had to compare them to the guards and Raki.
And even side by side, if you check Miata, her relative difference of size with Clarice varies depending on the panel, with the same angle of view.
Old 2008-06-08, 11:41   Link #888
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flar View Post
No, no, I was focalizing on Priscilla. There was a claim before that for the kid to be priscilla, Raki would have to be 280cm or something, so I needed to establish comparison with the kid's height and Priscilla's, and, as you argued Priscilla couldn't be that short, I had to provide comparison of Priscilla's height with other people. I admit Glak, Sid and Clare are redundant, but they give a better sense of scale.
In that montage, you just set the Height of Raki == Height of Pricilla, and tried to show that Raki's new height was reasonable. If we go by the height in the databook, Raki's new height would be around 275cm. Even in the montages we made, Raki's easily over 230cm by estimation. You'd have to shrink AB Pricialla to about 120cm (< 4ft) before Raki's new height would make any sense (2m or less). That's a loss of 45cm (1.5 ft) off her Claymore height.

Also people who are over 2 m tall have slightly different features and don't look like Raki's new bishonen form.

The thing that irritates me most though is that people think that Cid would confuse Pricilla as Raki's child. Does this Pricilla look like someone who can be confused as a child?

In which case, Pricilla was actually doing a service in the North by getting rid of all these wannabe pedophiles?
Old 2008-06-08, 11:55   Link #889
Vinak
Procrastinator

we don't know what happened to Priscilla, it's entirely possible for her to make herself look younger.

I kind of feel thats the reason why we see Riful in a young human form while her awakened form is of an older, more mature looking female. (without legs)

Also, it's probably impossible for us to judge height from the artwork. panel size, angel differences. Not to mention picture resolution. The Manga itself is 7 years old? Different art styles and small mistakes are to be expected. (giant hands)
Old 2008-06-08, 12:08   Link #890
Flar

Quote:
In that montage, you just set the Height of Raki == Height of Pricilla, and tried to show that Raki's new height was reasonable.
Yes, backed up by the times we saw Raki with Priscilla, like the last page of chapter 55 (vol10 page 133) or when she jumps on him afterwards

Quote:
If we go by the height in the databook, Raki's new height would be around 275cm.
I don't go by Priscilla's databook height, I'm considering for this theory that Priscilla shrunk to match her regressed mental state after her fight with Isley... After the pic you provided, before the ones I used to make the comparison.

And no need to go aggressive on me, I'm just putting forward coherent hypothesis
I can prove them about as much as you can disprove them anyway, and yes it can also make sense that the kid with Raki is not priscilla, depending on how you read the story.
Old 2008-06-08, 12:45   Link #891
tenken627
what Yagi said

Regardless of inconsistent drawings, the girl must be very small to be able to perch on Raki's shoulder. It might be different if the the legs wrapped around Raki's neck, and she was sitting behind Raki's head.

The girl would have to be much smaller than 5 ft (152.4 cm) to be able to do that, which would suggest a child.

Even if Raki was a giant 7 ft 6 in tall (229 cm) like Yao Ming, a girl that was 5 ft (152.4 cm) would be 2/3 of his height still and would not be able to sit on his shoulder like that.

The girl would have to be around ~ 3 - 4 feet tall (91.4 - 121.9 cm). And I don't care if Priscilla is able to shrink herself, I see no reason for her to shrink herself that small.

Edit:

The tallest man ever medically recorded was Robert Pershing Wadlow.

He measured to be 8 ft 11.1 in (272 cm).

The tallest man living is Leonid Stadnyk who is 8 ft 5.5 in (257 cm).

While Yagi-sensei probably wanted to make Raki big, I don't think he wanted to make him that big.

Last edited by tenken627; 2008-06-08 at 13:13.
Old 2008-06-08, 13:08   Link #892
Gooral
Banned

If the girl is Priscilla (which I seriously doubt) then Raki is a brainwashed badass. He would know she's AB not only because she would be eating guts but also because instead of growing up she would regress. Also if he stayed with Isley and Priscilla for all this time I can't believe he wouldn't notice their strange behavior. Maybe Isley would restrain himself, but retarded Priscilla? Doubtful. She could grow her horn any time, suddenly eat guts or fly to get food. Also I don't think she would be willing to eat tasteless (compared to guts) food cooked by Raki so he would start to wonder what and when does she eat. Isley would have to eat normal food too, unless he stated from the start that he wouldn't eat with Raki (but during travels it would be suspicious). Not to mention there ought to be a situation where Priscilla would have blood or intestines on herself, he would have to be an idiot if he didn't suspect anything then.
Old 2008-06-08, 13:13   Link #893
FreshSalad
Claymore Theorist

Location: In a hopeless world where there is no reason to exist
Regardless, the point isnt HOW tall he is, I think the emphasis is that he has GROWN over the last 7 years, preferrably pretty tall. Pretty good picture is the one with the cart and him. Hes as tall, little bit of hunching, as a horse's back. Considering the weight of the things being pulled, how much a villager can afford, etc, we can determine his height. (Someone go find out that stuff, I have essays to write for school.) One more thing, this is a FANTASY world, meaning everything is in proportion, but we don't know whether the normal human height there is 5 feet or 10 feet, etc. But I think everyone isn't trying to establish his exact height, but rather what it would seem like, proportionatley to normal humans there or to us.

On the topic of whether he is claymore etc how hes beating a youma, Clare in the beginning had trouble beating NORMAL youma. Furthermore, he has seen the big youma from Rabona, meaning he charged in not knowing whether or not this one is that powerful. Either its foolish bravery or confidence in his skills. I really doubt its the former.. so lets ASSUME its the latter. Now, whether hes human or not is an entirely different matter. I really doubt that hes a NORMAL human, meaning nothing special about him. Once again, I think his equipment is similar to claymore equipment due to teh fact taht it seems to be unscratched, can't be penetrated by youma attacks etc. Also, His sword is probably bigger or at least the same size as a normal claymore's sword. I'm basing this on the final picture of chapter 80. His sword goes down to maybe his knees while a normal claymore, like clare, is about the same. His sword is wider as its a great sword, not a claymore (said by villager.) So, finally I end with the conclusion that his sword is FRIGGIN heavy (as much as a claymore's sword) or HEAVIER. There was a statement in the past saying that only claymores have the strength to wield a claymore that fast. Based on drawings and the speed in which he cuts the youma (it couldn't dodge), his strength is on par with a claymore. Basically, it was previously impossible for humans to even swing such a heavier sword. For him to be simply a normal human, the logic would simply FAIL. Now once again since this is a FANTASY world, this means that there are other theories..... like battle enchanced armor (allowing him to stay human,) or hes a special human (new prototype of an experiment) or hes a claymore, etc.

Since this manga hasn't shown much magic, lets rule out the battle enhanced armor. So I guess that leaves us with, speical human or claymore. Take your pick. Either way, there is something different about him that pretty much tells us, HES NOT GOING TO BE USELESS, probably actually really helpful etc.
Old 2008-06-08, 13:39   Link #894
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshSalad View Post
Regardless, the point isnt HOW tall he is, I think the emphasis is that he has GROWN over the last 7 years, preferrably pretty tall. Pretty good picture is the one with the cart and him. Hes as tall, little bit of hunching, as a horse's back. Considering the weight of the things being pulled, how much a villager can afford, etc, we can determine his height. (Someone go find out that stuff, I have essays to write for school.) One more thing, this is a FANTASY world, meaning everything is in proportion, but we don't know whether the normal human height there is 5 feet or 10 feet, etc. But I think everyone isn't trying to establish his exact height, but rather what it would seem like, proportionatley to normal humans there or to us.
We're not trying to establish Raki's height itself. We're trying to establish the height relationship between Raki and the little girl, and thereby establish the relationship between Raki and the little girl itself.

A large horse's back is about 6 feet (182 cm) tall, so that refutes your point really.

Quote:
On the topic of whether he is claymore etc how hes beating a youma, Clare in the beginning had trouble beating NORMAL youma. Furthermore, he has seen the big youma from Rabona, meaning he charged in not knowing whether or not this one is that powerful. Either its foolish bravery or confidence in his skills. I really doubt its the former.. so lets ASSUME its the latter. Now, whether hes human or not is an entirely different matter. I really doubt that hes a NORMAL human, meaning nothing special about him. Once again, I think his equipment is similar to claymore equipment due to teh fact taht it seems to be unscratched, can't be penetrated by youma attacks etc. Also, His sword is probably bigger or at least the same size as a normal claymore's sword. I'm basing this on the final picture of chapter 80. His sword goes down to maybe his knees while a normal claymore, like clare, is about the same. His sword is wider as its a great sword, not a claymore (said by villager.) So, finally I end with the conclusion that his sword is FRIGGIN heavy (as much as a claymore's sword) or HEAVIER. There was a statement in the past saying that only claymores have the strength to wield a claymore that fast. Based on drawings and the speed in which he cuts the youma (it couldn't dodge), his strength is on par with a claymore. Basically, it was previously impossible for humans to even swing such a heavier sword. For him to be simply a normal human, the logic would simply FAIL. Now once again since this is a FANTASY world, this means that there are other theories..... like battle enchanced armor (allowing him to stay human,) or hes a special human (new prototype of an experiment) or hes a claymore, etc.

Since this manga hasn't shown much magic, lets rule out the battle enhanced armor. So I guess that leaves us with, speical human or claymore. Take your pick. Either way, there is something different about him that pretty much tells us, HES NOT GOING TO BE USELESS, probably actually really helpful etc.
There are other things tossed around besides special human or Claymore. We still do not know the true nature of the MiBs (Rubel holds a heavy Claymore sword pretty easily himself as well as never aging) who made yomas and Claymores in the first place.

We do not know the true nature of the OEs (Organization's Enemy) who probably have their own abilities as well much like the MiBs.

We do not know the true nature of the DoDs, who probably were never created by humans.

There are many things out there in the Claymore world that we do not know when it comes to "magic" or special abilities.
Old 2008-06-08, 14:24   Link #895
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
On the topic of whether he is claymore etc how hes beating a youma, Clare in the beginning had trouble beating NORMAL youma. Furthermore, he has seen the big youma from Rabona, meaning he charged in not knowing whether or not this one is that powerful. Either its foolish bravery or confidence in his skills. I really doubt its the former.. so lets ASSUME its the latter. Now, whether hes human or not is an entirely different matter. I really doubt that hes a NORMAL human, meaning nothing special about him.
On the argument against he's a claymore. If he's been with Isley all this time, we don't know if he has, but presuming he has. If he was a claymore, made by Isley, he should be able to seek yoki energy from ordinary yoma, especially at that distance. Isley was a #1, he would be able to teach Raki to control and detect yoki, to the best of his ability. He relied on that girl to find which one was the Yoma. Normal or not, I do not think he has yoki energy, and thus not a claymore.

As for his indiscriminately attacking the Yoma, It could well be that he knows if he can't tackle the Yoma, his partner on shoulder will save him.
Old 2008-06-08, 14:42   Link #896
Uncreativex

Imo its unclear whether Raki's friend is Priscilla or not.

I'm however very glad that Raki ain't badass claymore like top 5 strength. For example, Clare can pretty much reduce normal a yoma to small scraps of flesh in a instant, while Raki here used some time to kill it.
Old 2008-06-08, 14:43   Link #897
Arkanis

Quote:
He's always been blonde
Oh!
I didn't notice, he has another hair color in the anime
Old 2008-06-08, 15:26   Link #898
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

I am really wondering where Raki picked up his sword and armor. The armor seems to be very special which makes me doubt that he just went to a blacksmith and said, "I need armor that is awesome enough to impress a Claymore chick I used to cook for." Although with the ability to kill youma Raki might be making quite a bit of money in donations. I can't wait to see Clare's response when she meets him, especially when she sees the sword he is carrying. I think Raki is probably much stronger than just being able to kill a single youma. I am excited to see what Isley was able to forge out of the young cook who would be strong.

And I am really glad that we do not have to wait 5 months before the main story continues like when we did not know who was in the city Miata and Clarice were at. We did not even know it was Rabona although some people guessed it as a possibility which was fun. Hopefully we will find out who this little girl is soon.

Yagi loves recurring characters if Angel Densetsu is any indication and I have actually been surprised that he includes recurring locations as well like Rabona and now Raki's home town. It really gives the feel of a pretty congruent world for me. I love recurring themes in claymore (like the sword, youki pills, youki manipulation, etc). Although Yagi's new characters have been very fun too like the AB's that keep appearing. As I think about it now Yagi often hints at main characters a bit before we meet them. All the top 5 of Clare's time were introduced to us by their names from Miria before we ever met them. We heard about Isley and Luciella before we met them. Clare met Miria once before the 6 armed AB hunt although Helen and Deneve showed up for the first time then. We learned about Irene's hit squad and their personalities before they clashed with Teresa. Many main characters get some sort of introduction before they appear so we have some idea who they are before they jump onto the stage and show us what they can do. Teresa did not get an intro, she just showed up and rocked our world. It is just something I thought about and it certainly is not a rule. I just felt like sharing.

Last edited by chibamonster; 2008-06-08 at 15:39.
Old 2008-06-08, 15:41   Link #899
FreshSalad
Claymore Theorist

Location: In a hopeless world where there is no reason to exist
@tenken,
I don't know how it refutes my point. My point is that whatever height he has grown, the point is that he grew. As for a large horse being that tall.....farming horses are generally heavier and not that large compared to a warhorse. But, once again, there are infinite possibilities. that patciular horse may be large.

@ashesatdusk
I think some claymore just suck at it regardless of how they are taught. Not sure, but that could mean he just sucks at it.

He treats the girl as a younger person so that might be a clue. Considering how he treats her, I doubt he knows that she is powerful. Also, I think he would suspect why Priscilla wasn't aging in 7 years... so that also tells us that he probably knows what priscilla is/was (a claymore, maybe not super bad person).
Old 2008-06-08, 16:19   Link #900
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Also, His sword is probably bigger or at least the same size as a normal claymore's sword. I'm basing this on the final picture of chapter 80. His sword goes down to maybe his knees while a normal claymore, like clare, is about the same. His sword is wider as its a great sword, not a claymore (said by villager.)
Here we run into yet another japanese language problem.

Whenever ordinary people refer to Claymores (the people), they write:
クレイモア (KUREIMOA) using their phonetic alphabet (katakana) which they use whenever they write down foreign words.

Whenever claymores refer to other claymores, they use either he term "Warriors"(senshi) or "those known as Claymores" (to iu KUREIMOA).

And, if memory serves, whenever the sword is mentioned, the 2 kanji for "big" and "sword" are used - ( 大剣 ). There is always furigana (thankfully) in the manga, and I think it's always pronounced taiken - though I can't help but think I might have seen the word "KUREIMOA" spelled out as the pronounciation a few times too.

In any event, the villager says 大剣 (big sword). This causes understandable difficulties for the translator. If he says: "it's a claymore" - everyone is going to assume that Raki is a Claymore. You could try to disambiguate by saying "Claymore Sword", or even say "big sword"(which just sounds bad), or just say "great sword" (which a claymore is a subclass of). But, Claymores are named for the swords they carry and those swords are 大剣, so calling it anything other than claymores is a problem too. Really a no win situation.

So basically, just pretend he said "A Claymore..." but know that he was referring to the sword itself, not the person.
Closed Thread

Tags
manga