AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

View Poll Results: Kannagi - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 29 21.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 44 31.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 34 24.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 13.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.62%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.45%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.45%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-02, 14:29   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Kannagi - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire 13 episodes of Kannagi ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about the DVD only footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting

• Which kind of footage (DVD only) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun
Old 2009-01-02, 15:03   Link #2
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Animation Quality: 9/10
For the most part, the movements and such were very fluid. On the other hand, it was obvious when they slacked off (AKA, the karaoke episode), and sometimes it got so fluid, it actually seemed weird.

Voice Actors: 10/10
No complaints~ (´∀`)

Enjoyment: 10/10
Enjoyed it a lot. ( ^ω^)

Overall, it was a very good series. It sometimes doesn't seem to be sure of what it wants to be or do, but it usually ends with a good result, so OK. Comedy is very good. The serious parts are... nn, good, I guess, but people watching for the comedy can become disappointed at the change. Well, more or less, none of the mysteries are even revealed after going through a serious arc...
Characters are also good, to the most part. Most of them are likable.

Unn~, something like that, hai. It's a shame it is over now... Second season someday, I guess.
10/10

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-01-02, 16:44   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It kind of seemed to lose the main thrust at times (going for the pop ref gag or silly stuff) but overall, excellent execution, great animation, good VA work... catchy entertainment, probably a bit too much comedy for the subject matter.

Randomly, I'll give it a 9 for the execution.
Old 2009-01-02, 17:01   Link #4
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Great entertainment. That about sums up this series for me. Great animation, nice voice work, great songs, great comedy, nice drama... almost everything was great here, and I think the series should be well remembered for a long time. Here's hoping for a continuation.

Solid 9/10, from me.

Old 2009-01-02, 19:54   Link #5
Lost-Wisdom
Wis-dom-matic

Add a bit of comedy, a bit of romance, a bit of drama and sometimes a bit of action on the side, and your in a treat.

Comedy was well done here, it was hard to take this show seriously until it came at the last of the episodes where the drama kicked in.

Still, it was a great series, odds of second season, maybe. But people are saying the manga continues after this, so I'll follow the lead and read the manga now.

Overall, I give it a 9/10.
Old 2009-01-03, 03:04   Link #6
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
The show has nothing original but it is a polished cliche anime. This is what a good staff can do with good money investments.

As someone said earlier, this show has a lot of passion and love lavished on it by the creative team.
Old 2009-01-05, 05:35   Link #7
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

This was great. A real surprise. The comedy was balanced and clever and had some brilliant timing occasionally. The characters were fun, the seiyuu were sublime and the directing exceeded all expectations (hats off to Yamamoto). The drama was alright, but definitely weaker than the comedy and the show did seem to run out of momentum in the final episode. Also, there were way too many loose ends in the plot.

I'm giving this a rating of "Awesome" which translates to a rating of 8/10 on the AnimeSuki scale. This was one of two really excellent comedy series we saw in 2008, the other being Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (although I did think the latter was better in the end).
Old 2009-01-05, 06:56   Link #8
arkxkra
全力全開

for, this series overall was quite good. from voice act to music/bgm, all are very good. A very good bring over (adaptation) from manga, many other anime that base on manga was not as good as this one as least.
Old 2009-01-05, 07:02   Link #9
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

It was a decent ride, the quality was great. Not too much of a fan of the silly stuff but got a decent chuckle now and then. The good stuff happened at the end, and left at a cliff hanger which I really hate.

So...
7/10.
Old 2009-01-05, 13:11   Link #10
neshru

Decent series. Some episodes were entertaining, some not really. The problem is that it was so random and unfocused. It's really looked like the author had no idea what to do with his own series.

Animation quality: 8/10
Definitely above average, some episodes had impressive animation quality.

Voice actors: 7/10
They were okay I guess.

Music: 6/10
I can't remember a single track from this show, which means the sound track wasn't really impressive.

Script: 6/10
The script is okay when it comes to the jokes and the interaction between characters. As a whole, it's pretty inconsistent and uninteresting. As I've said it's hard to tell what this series is about.

Enjoyment: 6.5/10
I never got excited about this series, but it was entertaining enough to make me want to watch the next episode.

Emotional Involvement: 1/10
lol, what? No way.

Overall: 6.5/10
Old 2009-01-05, 16:08   Link #11
qwerty_
Knowledge Researcher

Great animation, excellent VA, music above average, script really well in comedy [focused here] and average in drama [impressive 3-episode last arc, below average before].

Hope get a second season. A tiny lil' bit of 2008 in my heart. 8/10.
Old 2009-01-05, 16:16   Link #12
Grif

I would like to know the person who voted it bad.

Overal i thought the series was great. Perfect comedy, some nice drama moments. Suprisingly great animation, and fair voice acting.

I rated it 10/10, but i am well aware i was being generous.

*Hopes for season 2*
Old 2009-01-05, 16:53   Link #13
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

You just have to go here, to know who voted for what.

Old 2009-01-06, 15:43   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You just have to go here, to know who voted for what.
Someone who never had anything to say about the series and spends most of their time in Black Lagoon and Hajime no Ippo.... people are free to vote how and for what they want -- but I don't think they realize how it affects their overall credibility.
Old 2009-01-07, 05:17   Link #15
Domo
それで便座カーバー!

Location: Australia. The land of slow broadband speeds and non-existant anime DVD retailers.
Send a message via MSN to Domo
Animation Quality: 9
Kannagi's animation quality was quite fluid in most of its episodes and made the series quite watchable. However, I do believe that the studio may have slacked off in some episodes especially the Karaoke episode which lacked any movement in the animation.
Voice Actors: 9.5
In general, the voice actors did an excellent job in portraying each character's individual personality.
Script: 5
The script, in my opinion, felt quite inconsistent and unorganised throughout the series. The first 10 episodes felt like another typical comedy anime, and then switched to a more serious mood for the last 3 episodes. As the result, the purpose of the anime and where it was heading was ultimately lost for me.
Soundtrack: 6
Besides the OP, the soundtrack was pretty mediocre. I don't remember any of the soundtracks, which says a lot.
Editing: 8
Again, the editing was on par to today's anime standards. But it wasn't particularly spectacular.
Enjoyment: 8
Generally enjoyed the series for its comedy aspect, and hated it for its poorly executed melodramatic aspect.
Emotional Involvement: 2
Because most of the dramatic plot was left in the last 3 episodes, I never felt empathetic for any of the characters as the poorly executed melodramatic climax left me feeling cold.

Overall: (Despite an average of 7), I'm giving this series a 8.
A very enjoyable series, but it does have its flaws.
Old 2009-01-10, 10:53   Link #16
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

The series was funny, funny enough to keep me watching, and that was about it. The story, while unique, failed to catch me. The animation was also very well done, but music not so much.

Overall: 8/10
Old 2009-01-14, 01:10   Link #17
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I wasn't that impressed with this series, and grudgingly finished it, despite hearing all sorts of good things about it. Barely any of the comedy moments hit home with me. The ending was ok, but overall I didn't feel that the chars or their situations evolved enough for me. The animation was very fluid and smooth, though I didn't favor the animation style too much.

6/10
Old 2009-01-14, 23:58   Link #18
bbqsauced
Stoned.

Send a message via AIM to bbqsauced
I'm goona start out here by mentioning that I picked up this series without any real expectations, and by the end I was definitely satisfied.

I tend to take small series like this at face value. Since there's limited time for character and plot development, I try not to dissect everything, but instead just let the series flow, and leave with whatever impression I have by the end.

If I walk out of the series feeling something, that's all I need. Kannagi did just that. Jin and Nagi were characters that definitely grew on me in the short amount of time. The level of comedy felt right, and I at least caught on to enough of the humor to laugh at several points.

My only real beef with any part of the series was the karaoke episode.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the series, and would definitely not think twice about picking up any sort of continuation that may come in the future.

9/10
Old 2009-01-15, 10:15   Link #19
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

i liked the comedy and the funny parts of the show. but when it started to get serious it didnt make any sense to me at all, i felt the show was pretty bad as a story, but good when if it just portrays itself as a comedy
Old 2009-01-15, 19:19   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is probably Kannagi's biggest "flaw" .... some of the crowd liked the comedy and hated the serious storyline, some of the crowd liked the serious storyline and thought some of the comedy (at least the parts not driven naturally by personality) was off-base.

Some of that comedy-tragic mix is just inherent to japanese storylines in anime and manga, so it just remains jarring to western eyeballs.