Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-12, 14:15   Link #321
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dwarf
I wonder how western audiences are responding to it... (The most vocal people about this anime seems to be people who have already read the novels/watched the Hong Kong TV dramas.)
Well, speaking as an operator from live-evil, I have probably one of the best insights into the western audience for Condor Hero pre-licensing, anyway. All I can say is that the vast majority of the fans were

1) Chinese
2) Probably grew up watching the dramas on television
3) Fans of wuxia in general, and may or may not have read the books
4) Very vocal (I think it's a chinese thing).

Every time we'd release an episode of Condor Hero, we'd see our irc channel/forums fill up for about a week or so with very active, vibrant discussions about the whole Condor Hero series (books, dramas, the 1983 one is a particular fan favorite, maybe because it has rerun on TV so many times)...

There were actually very few western fans who were introduced to the series through the english subs of the anime and/or dramas. The few that did like it appreciated it for its epic story more than anything, I believe. It's rare to see an anime or TV drama with such an epic story as say LOCH or ROCH has, so that was a breath of fresh air. But these people are very small in numbers and not very vocal (compared to the Chinese fans.)

Going along with this, there is a reason the show was licensed by a company that focuses on selling Chinese martial arts movies, and I do believe their target audience for this anime in particular was Chinese-Americans or Chinese people living in America/Canada. It has never really been marketed outside of a Chinese context. (not counting Vietnam and southeast Asia.)

I *think* the anime had a really good chance to broaden the fanbase a lot but the vast majority of people who had no connection with the storyline, or wuxia in general were immediately turned off by the low-budget animation, and only the hardcore fans who already knew the story stayed to watch w/ a few westerners who were not so closed-minded.

If they had really shined up the animation and marketed it better in Japan and/or America, I think the storyline is strong enough (especially in ROCH w/ the love story) that it would have really broken some barriers. It's a shame that they didn't and as a result they settled for once again catering to Chinese people only. Although I believe America is starting to open up more to real Chinese media what with the popularity of CTHD, and Hero and now the House of Flying Daggers. These movies are being produced with a western audience in mind (which might be alienating their base Chinese audiences), but it is moving us one step closer to American acceptance of wuxia in general.

I pray for the day that professional translations of the Condor Hero trilogies get released in American bookstores. ^^;

-Tofu
Old 2004-12-12, 14:37   Link #322
Tofusensei

Posted twice, disregard this. Sorry
Old 2004-12-12, 14:38   Link #323
Tofusensei

Regarding Condor Hero Season 2

If you care at all to see Condor Hero Season 2 (anime), read this, please

-Tofu
Old 2004-12-12, 16:03   Link #324
The Yellow Dwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
Going along with this, there is a reason the show was licensed by a company that focuses on selling Chinese martial arts movies, and I do believe their target audience for this anime in particular was Chinese-Americans or Chinese people living in America/Canada. It has never really been marketed outside of a Chinese context. (not counting Vietnam and southeast Asia.)

I *think* the anime had a really good chance to broaden the fanbase a lot but the vast majority of people who had no connection with the storyline, or wuxia in general were immediately turned off by the low-budget animation, and only the hardcore fans who already knew the story stayed to watch w/ a few westerners who were not so closed-minded.

If they had really shined up the animation and marketed it better in Japan and/or America, I think the storyline is strong enough (especially in ROCH w/ the love story) that it would have really broken some barriers. It's a shame that they didn't and as a result they settled for once again catering to Chinese people only. Although I believe America is starting to open up more to real Chinese media what with the popularity of CTHD, and Hero and now the House of Flying Daggers. These movies are being produced with a western audience in mind (which might be alienating their base Chinese audiences), but it is moving us one step closer to American acceptance of wuxia in general.

I pray for the day that professional translations of the Condor Hero trilogies get released in American bookstores. ^^;

-Tofu
Thank you for the response. I kind of expected the audience to be mainly Chinese. I think there is a reason why you would get immense reponses from Chinese audiences - I think Louis Cha is the most widely-read Chinese author today, popular both in China (PRC, HK, TW, etc.) and in Chinese-speaking circles abroad. It is no surprise that they are vocal about it.

While it is disappointing that there are few western viewers, I don't find it surprising. ROCH is very tightly bound to Chinese history and culture (as are most of Cha's works), the story opens with not one, but two Song dynasty lyrical poem in old Chinese; LOCH begins with a narrative about the history of the Song dynasty and the "barbarian invasion." I would expect the same lukewarm treatment if the Arthurian legends were translated into Chinese or Japanese.

Moreover, there are a few central ideas to ROCH that are very jarring to western liberal sensibilities (though perhaps not so much given the climate post 911). 1. one of the main conflicts is the "forbidden love" between a student and a teacher, which is unintelligible to a western audience; 2. a very strong sense of Nationalism in the theme of "defeating the barbarians" (Cha himself favors the unification of China and Taiwan); 3. the negative portrayal of the Mongolian people, the Tibetan people, etc. which may strike a chord in some politic-savvy as PI; 4. unmistakable male-chauvinist attitude.

Perhaps because animation is still primarily seen as a medium targeted mostly at children (which is not too far from the truth), complex plot points, morally ambiguous situations and mature themes are often dropped and the conflicting groups are color-coded and simplified. (I am still lamenting how the anime butchered Ribakushuu - my favorite among Cha's female characters.) That is perhaps why, the theme of "love" is reduced to the relationship between Youka and his "koko", while the original novel has a much more ambivalent attitude towards it.

Spoiler:

In an anime, it is perhaps not possible to show all of these people they way they are shown in the novel; and certainly they will not be shown should the primarily target audience be children and teenagers. It is unfortunate, but somehow inevitable. The production value of the anime is subpar, but a good script might still save low framerates and bad drawings (within reason, of course), but that is impossible when a loose and convoluted plot is forced to be simplified and compressed for time.

Whew...look at me going on and on, I suppose that's the Chinese in me.

BTW, The Deer and the Cauldron has been translated into English by a quite capable translator/intepretor John Minford, who showed no mercy in cutting out chunks and chunks of the original (mostly poetry and descriptions of fighting moves with fancy names like "Ten Mile Dragon Roll") to suit the style of a western audience. This is AFAIK the only readable English translation of a Cha novel, but even so it's got more than a tinge of Twainesque tone. Interestingly, some more faithful translations such as Fox Volant of the Snowy Mountain is horribly unreadable.
Old 2004-12-12, 18:03   Link #325
Sokar

Is there a anime version of the 1st of the Condor Hero trilogy? I like the 1st one, hate the 2nd one, and really don't care much about the 3rd one.
Old 2004-12-13, 01:24   Link #326
Azn_Invasion

I went to L E's website and it said that L E had abandoned the Condor hero project and was only doing live stuff??

Last edited by Azn_Invasion; 2004-12-13 at 22:18.
Old 2004-12-14, 22:31   Link #327
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn_Invasion
I went to L E's website and it said that L E had abandoned the Condor hero project and was only doing live stuff??
No, no, no, no, no (did i already said no?). We abandoned the Condor Hero anime (Season 1) because it got licensed.

We will now work on season 2, as you can see in the post that Tofu made in our forum.
Old 2004-12-23, 06:59   Link #328
emre

Well count me in as one of the lucky ones who stumbled across this underrated series.. I just finished watching 26 episodes and I want more !!!

This was like a cure after watching 12 kingdoms and not being able to find anything as good for a long time.. such a great story

Anyways.. Someone mentioned about links being posted before, I've searched the forum but coulndnt find any links to translated novels.. perhaps I missed it but still If anyone could post it again It'd be greatly appreciated

Also, I guess theres a 2nd season being aired... How many episodes is it supposed to be?
Old 2004-12-23, 07:26   Link #329
emre

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockiscookin
Great News! Legend of Condor Hero season 2 is air on TV at HK. They are up to episode 35 now. I be going to HK next week I'll see if i could get a copy of season 2 and then see wat will happen maybe get it sub. I'm a great fans of Condor Hero been watching all those live action since the day I was born.

Hey

Any news ?
Old 2004-12-23, 07:54   Link #330
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Live-eviL has posted in this thread that they are trying to find a Cantonese translator to help them sub the second season. It is also listed on their forum here!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-03-10, 00:25   Link #331
Crescent_Snow

Is there ever going to be a Legend of Condor Season 3??

just what the titles says. i've been waiting a loooonnnnggggg time and was wondering if it was ever going to come out... anybody know?
Old 2006-03-10, 03:59   Link #332
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Probably Not.

It's been over 5 years and it was a chinese production done by Japanese Animators if I remember right.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2006-03-11, 02:50   Link #333
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
Probably Not.

It's been over 5 years and it was a chinese production done by Japanese Animators if I remember right.
Despite the very long gap between seasons 1 and 2, season 2 was produced just last year, so it is well too soon to rule out a season 3.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-03-15, 01:25   Link #334
t1no

Where can i get the season 2?
Old 2006-03-15, 02:35   Link #335
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
Season 2 is licensed dude. Dont ask where to get licensed anime.

-gumbaloom
Old 2006-03-15, 02:44   Link #336
kujoe
from head to heel

I think season 2 was completely done by Chinese animators—Jade Animation if I'm not mistaken. Season 2 was also never shown in Japan.

They just have to do season 3! Did you guys watch the last episode of the 2nd season? That was like, the first episode of a new story arc, and they ended the 2nd season with that?! Jesus, how frustrating that was. I should've heeded the warning beforehand, but I just had to watch it. I just had to. And unfortunately, I did.
Old 2006-03-15, 03:09   Link #337
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
I think season 2 was completely done by Chinese animators—Jade Animation if I'm not mistaken. Season 2 was also never shown in Japan.

They just have to do season 3! Did you guys watch the last episode of the 2nd season? That was like, the first episode of a new story arc, and they ended the 2nd season with that?! Jesus, how frustrating that was. I should've heeded the warning beforehand, but I just had to watch it. I just had to. And unfortunately, I did.
And the ending of season 1 was any less of a cliff-hanger? I think not. At least the cliff-hanger at the end of season 1 was resolved. Now I just have to wait for another few years until season 3 is animated. I just hope that the animation doesn't suck as horribly as the season 2 animation.

Old 2006-03-15, 03:20   Link #338
kujoe
from head to heel

Personally, yes. It was less of a cliff-hanger. Of course, we all can't wait to see what happens next, but it was a good season ender in my opinion. The last episode of season 1 --

Spoiler:
Old 2006-03-15, 17:58   Link #339
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbaloom
Season 2 is licensed dude. Dont ask where to get licensed anime.

-gumbaloom
Season 2 was licensed? I hope they hurry, they just barely put out the last disk to Season 1 in English.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2006-08-17, 20:48   Link #340
jzmagic
flargansbog

i recently finished season 1 and i was very impressed. the love story between guo and goo goo was well pulled off.
Closed Thread