AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-12-20, 08:37   Link #41
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
I'm kinda surprised to see so many people listed SAO 2
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce_Steele View Post
By the way I'm not surprised that nobody actually mentions SAO 2nd Season. Guess people can learn from history, especially bad history.
We were just saying that nobody did, and in fact nobody did.
It was mentioned, but not as "most disappointing anime".

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 12:59   Link #42
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Psycho Pass 2:

--I just felt like they went all out with the gore and violence just because: 'OMG YOU ALL THOUGHT SEASON ONE WAS BAD? WE GONNA LET "ER RIP EVEN MORE THIS SEASON!'

--At least Makishima had a purpose to his madness.

--Fucking Mika. Worst character of the year.

--Basically the writer of this season basically threw out everything that made the first season terrific.

====

Sailor Moon Crystal

--I never read the manga but I thought I'd watch since it was supposed to hew close to the manga this time around and see how it was supposed to be. I was done by episode 8...

--At first I didn't see what people meant by the animation but hollleeeeeee coooowwww.......I don't know shit about animation but even I could see how HORRIBLE it was

--For a series that's supposedly all about girl power and feminism and shit, Usagi sure would rather rely on Mamo-chan a lot. Senshi in trouble and about to be killed off? Usagi be off looking for Mamo instead. Now I realize that Usagi is still a teenage girl so I bypassed a lot of her temper tantrums, but at halfway thru the series I expected her to get her head together
Spoiler:

====

Tokyo Ghoul

I really wanted to get into this, since I like the premise of the story, but by the fourth episode, I couldn't take the censorship anymore. I'll probably watch this though all the way thru, and I might check the manga out.

====

Donten ni Warau

I'll probably finish this at some point, but this is more just me being butthurt on my part over the fates of people I like

====

Bonjour Patisserie

Otome anime is usually my anime version of a guilty pleasure, but this felt waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too camp.
Old 2014-12-29, 10:27   Link #43
Archaeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
As for Mahouka, the LN readers still played a part in raising expectations on those who then only watched the anime. Most of the times disappointment comes from hype that was built up before the anime even aired, even when it's a completely original story like Guilty Crown.
I wasn't aware that Mahouka is one of the most hype show but it still disappointing and terrible for me. Hoping it will be better than Mahou Sensou but ended up as worse.

Last edited by Archaeon; 2015-01-04 at 00:17.
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-01, 17:58   Link #44
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Tokyo ESP disappointed me. Still decent, but I was hoping for more.

Starting in the climax was a big mistake. Also, small changes from the manga rippled out to lessen the impact of Rinka's character development. Especially frustrating that the changes were pretty clearly done to save time. Time that was then spent on starting in the climax.

The Sailor Moon Remake was the other disappointment. Looked to me like an attempt to spend as little money as possible and then reap the money from the pre-existing fanbase. Milking the cash cow instead of a work of love.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-01, 20:18   Link #45
MartianMage

Glasslip... yeah... I mean I pretty much watched it with no expectations and when it ended I regret the time I spent on this series...
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!

Last edited by MartianMage; 2015-01-02 at 05:46.
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-02, 07:34   Link #46
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Let me see after a week I made this thread....I'm surprised some people actually "nominates" Mahouka in this thread. While it is true most people did have high expectation from it but that just limit to LN readers alone. Even them are disappointed the worst since the show didn't do LN justice.
Having not read the light novel I did find it quite enjoyable to watch.

Having read the thread now I don't want to read the LN just so I can enjoy a 2nd season of it.

Quote:
However my biggest surprise is some people actually defended Cross Ange. While not a horrible show to begin with but I just hate to see Sunrise is doing right now.
Honestly Cross Ange is just modern Mai HiME, Mai Otome... guilty pleasure honestly, but it at least seems to handle the plot it has good enough to follow.

I don't really feel it that different from others they've made.

So purely going by trashed hopes; none of the "well I just plain don't like this" ones.

Things that almost made it out of disappointment land, but not quite,

Nobunagun — could have been infinitely better, but instead was a fairly A to B to C with lackluster finale and cliche underwhelming twists. Good core idea, appropriate animation and style, bad execution and everything else. Supporting characters were all hit or miss.

Things I finished (for whatever reason) and still disappointed in them,

(no.1 disappointment) Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance & Seikoku no Dragonar — honestly the only plot in these is that the main heroine is a giant self centered ass; there's really nothing else to it. Watched both to the end, since I do follow a lot of manga that actually follow similar premise, yet manage to do it right, and... they're terrible to the end. Still not sure who the target audience is for these Zero no Tsukiama clones.

Amagi Brilliant Park — comedy? ha! I'll give it good drama, but I was never in the mood of watching a drama when I was watching it.

Series that just got dropped along the way, that I went in with high expectations, and got greeted with disappointment....

Gundam Reconguista — I kind of figured after 1-2 episodes this is somewhat of a parody on the gundam franchise of some sort, not that I'm too thrilled about that... but it really goes way way overboard. Stopped after 12 episodes or so, was thinking of maybe going back to it but people here seem to suggest maybe I shouldn't bother.

Captain Earth — was interesting at the start then it took a nose dive into meh and boring land; very poor character development IMO

Mahou Sensou — maybe its just because the premise is getting overdone, this was just boring to me

Fuuun Ishin Dai☆Shogun — god that animation was terrible

-

Haven't watched more then episode 1 of Nobunaga the Fool but probably will go on the list from the looks of it.

Last edited by felix; 2015-01-02 at 16:14.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-02, 07:44   Link #47
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Let me see after a week I made this thread....I'm surprised some people actually "nominates" Mahouka in this thread. While it is true most people did have high expectation from it but that just limit to LN readers alone. Even them are disappointed the worst since the show didn't do LN justice.
As an anime-only viewer, I had moderate-to-high expectations of Mahouka since...

1. I'm a Sci-Fi fan.

2. It's basic premise and world setting sounded a cut or two above to me, compared to most anime Sci-Fi shows.

3. It had a lot of hype and buzz surrounding it. Probably the most I had seen for a new LN adaptation since SAO. Combine that with the other similarities to SAO, and I basically expected something SAO-caliber. And I liked SAO's first major storyarc, which was basically half or more of SAO Season 1.

4. The Mahouka character designs are great. Nice, sleek, and polished. A somewhat more realistic look compared to a lot of other anime shows, but without sacrificing the core elements of anime design that many anime fans (including myself) are fond of.

5. The first couple of episodes were pretty good. There were red flags even then, but they hadn't yet been hoisted to full mast.

Also, speaking personally, there's few anime shows that I get hyped over. Usually it has to be a sequel to a show that I liked a lot. And the 2014 sequels I was hyped for did in fact deliver (Saki Zenkoku-hen, Love Live! Season 2, Selector-Spread WIXOSS). While SAO II honestly exceeded my expectations by a fair margin.
Old 2015-01-02, 07:57   Link #48
Eragon
Still Alive

Fate UBW (tv series, just in case). My expectations were skewed, I suppose, after watching FZ but, it was still terrible enough to make me drop it by the 4-5'th (?) episode.
Old 2015-01-02, 10:47   Link #49
Vegard Aune

Sailor Moon Crystal. No question about it. What I was hoping for was an adaptation that would combine the strengths of the old anime with the strengths of the manga to create that well-paced, compelling narrative with fleshed out characters that I still believe could be pulled off with enough effort. What I got was a half-assed rushed work that instead amplifies the flaws of the manga while maintaining pretty much nothing out of the old series besides the transformation-sequences and Usagi's voice... both of which have gotten considerably worse. And while they do try to make some changes to the manga, their choices for what things to change are just baffling. Extremely clichéd story that promotes extremely outdated gender-stereotypes and where the main pairing just happens with barely any buildup? Why bother fixing that, let's give Usagi a laptop! Oh, and let's throw four more completely substance-less romances between characters who have next to no personality of their own while we're at it, truly that will make the show so much better!

Yeah I don't know how much more of this series I can stomach, honestly. It's just bad. Really, really, really bad.
Old 2015-01-02, 14:07   Link #50
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Zankyou no Terror. What a waste of Watanabe's and Kanno's talents on an otherwise horribly written script. Please no more teenage terrorist anime.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-02, 15:21   Link #51
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Well, I generally don't watch as many series per season as some people on here (only what interests me), and well, really, there is one series that, for this year, which, while no means bad, did not lead up to the prequel.

That series is Psycho-Pass II. Initially, the series started strong enough, however, as the series went on, the more it seemed like Kamui was just a low-rent version of Makishima, a much better villain in my opinion. That, along with a rushed ending due to the 11-episode length, as well as the loss of some of the best characters from the previous season (i.e. Kogami and reduced screen time for Yayoi), meant that Psycho-Pass II did not live up to season 1. I suspect some of this might be the fact that (I think, anyway) Urobuchi did not write this season, only supervising it.

As for Zankyou No Terror it was still a decent anime IMO, but it suffered from the short 11-episode format that limited the amount of time for character development. Also, I'll agree that the FBI's response in aiding Five in carrying out a terror attack was ridiculous.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-02, 20:47   Link #52
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Of the ones I watched, Rail Wars and Date A Live II both nab the award. Both suffered from severe QUALITY issues to the point that I immediately lost my trust in Passione and Production IMS.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 20:20   Link #53
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

1. Sailor Moon Crystal, easily. Toei is just dreadful. Lots of hype, lots of people's childhoods, all that good stuff- turned out to be a loveless cashgrab with poor craftsmanship and horrid execution- possibly the worst I can recall seeing for any project, but certainly the absolute worst I've ever seen for a big name franchise.
Also responsible for making me dislike Kotono Mitsuishi for the time being.
Somehow this was meant to represent "Naoko's True Vision" or something. If that is really the case, thank the heavens she had an editor who reigned her in.
But tbh, I can't believe this is what she wanted. If it was, I'd lose all respect for her...
(there's a big gap in disappointment levels between Rank 1 and 2-3)
(... etc)

2. Mahouka Well, I really thought I might like it, from the premise and art. Not so.

3. Buddy Complex Oh man. I wanted cheesy sci-fi/mecha, but instead was bored half to tears. Couldn't even convince myself to watch the one or two episodes that were "season 2" to finish it up.
Old 2015-01-04, 13:00   Link #54
Baldurkai
Ultra durable

Well for me there was just too many - so I'll just list them

SAILOR MOON CRYSTAL ...... Being the most disappointing for me... Wth happened there....

Followed by (but in no particular order)

Buddy Complex
Re: Hamatora (Season 2)
Mahou Sensou
Akuma no Riddle
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Rail Wars
Psycho-Pass (Season 2)
Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen
Cross ange
Gundam: G no Reconguista
Yuuki Yuuna Wa Yuusha de Aru

Reasons : Mostly started off fine and interesting but then got boring, or the anime failed to keep my attention even after some personal hype/interest.
Baldurkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-09, 22:30   Link #55
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

I haven't exactly been THAT disappointed by anything yet, but if I had to pick something I'd say SAO II. They handled parts of it rather well, and then they just decided to throw in all this random Ecchi and degenerate the LN plot just to give haters a reason not to stick around and admire the plot.

At that point, it became clear to me that it's not going to redeem itself no matter how well done certain parts of future seasons are. Also... the arc right after the ending of GGO... The last arc was pretty good though.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-11, 20:21   Link #56
Top Sergeant

Terra Formars -Ugh, just ugh.

Glasslip- It got so into itself that it forgot what it was supposed to do

Last edited by Top Sergeant; 2015-01-15 at 13:54. Reason: added Glasslip
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-12, 09:41   Link #57
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Psycho Bust 2, Shankedyou no Terror, Glasshit. In that order from most disappointing to least on shows I had great expectations for.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-12, 11:04   Link #58
Draco Spirit

Mahouka for sure.

From the fluff I thought we will get a nice techno-magic setting about a underdog hero who has to to deal with discrimination and find clever ways to win...

Instead we get a Garry Sue who never screws up and is seriously OP

In the shows defense, I will admit the secondary characters have some merit and the techno-magic wasn't too bad, bit the MC drag the whole thing down and the fluff was deceptive.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-12, 13:23   Link #59
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Glasslip, I could go on as to things wrong with it and how it betrayed my (already somewhat lowkey) expectations, but I think that images express this better than I ever could:
Old 2015-01-13, 15:42   Link #60
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

1. Glasslip. I expected a nice story about how to blow glass, but got some supernatural plot I didn't give a damn about instead, and of course, there had to be a heavy romantic subplot in it. In terms of originals, this is by far P.A. Works' worst.

2. Mahou Sensou. The promo art made the main girl look like a total badass, who could hold her own in a firefight. Instead, I got a total wimp whose only positive attribute was that she was pretty, and even that is not saying much, as the childhood friend was more pleasing to the eye than her. Not hard to see why the author of the LN wasn't so keen on it getting an anime adaptation.

3. Sailor Moon Crystal. This show just looks goddamn awful. I can deal with the CGI transformations, but the atrocious art and total lack of quality control killed the show for me. What baffled me even more is that this is a bi-weekly show, meaning it'll take a full year to watch all the episodes. I don't know what the folks at Toei are doing, but they can do much better than this, as proven by last year's Kyousogiga. Also, Usagi's voice. Did they really need to bring back her original seiyuu? They replaced all the other characters' VAs, so why not hers?