AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-06, 21:16   Link #1
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

Send a message via MSN to GATX207_Blitz
I need help in finding some new anime

I'm really into fantasy and sci-fi or tech anime can I get some titles that are worth looking into?

I don't want to watch something with a new adventure every episode that is practically unrelated to the previous episode. I would prefer to watch something with a developing story that would make you want to watch more and more.

thx in advance for your input it is much appreciated

O and I would like it if it is a title currently in animesuki
Old 2003-11-06, 23:38   Link #2
pantsu
station!!

sci-fi'ish: Stellvia of the Universe
Old 2003-11-07, 16:25   Link #3
Zoya
Dazed and Confused

I recommend Planetes which has just begun airing recently. This show is basically a slice of life anime which takes place in space in the not so distant future. Technology, while more advanced than what we have now, is not unrecognizable. It is character driven, so each episode focuses on the interaction between the characters.

I will also ad a second for the recommend of Stellvia. It is story driven and the first arc (first 13 episodes or so) is really fantastic as far as story/character-development go.
Old 2003-11-07, 20:45   Link #4
MagicianCamille

Send a message via ICQ to MagicianCamille Send a message via AIM to MagicianCamille Send a message via MSN to MagicianCamille
Sci-Fi : Gear Fighter Dendoh, A Gundam series.(PM me if you want to know the order and differences between AU and UC). Uhmm, lets see, Slayers is a good fantasy anime, I find Magic Knight Rayearth a pretty good fantasy anime.
Old 2003-11-12, 04:58   Link #5
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

thx for the suggestion of stellvia, I enjoyed it very much. I'm going to go and take a look at planetes, gear fighter dendoh, Slayers, and Magic Knight Rayearth. if ne1 else has some good suggestions following my first post then please leave a reply thx again
Old 2003-11-14, 02:00   Link #6
Aquillion

Unless PlanetES has changed substantially since I stopped watching it, I doubt you'll like it -- it is entirely based on having "a new adventure every episode that is practically unrelated to the previous episode," so it doesn't really fit your description of what you wanted. But who knows?

Anyway, I would recommend Shingetsutan Tsukihime for fantasy. For sci-fi, if you like cheesy sci-fi novels and such, you might like Avenger -- it's by Bee Train, the people who made Noir and .Hack//Sign, so if you've seen either of those you'll have some idea what to expect stylistically. It does have a continuous plot, but its commitment to it isn't as strong as some of the above...

Oh, and these aren't currently on Animesuki, and indeed are licensed, but I feel compelled to mention them so you'll know to watch them if you ever get the chance: Senki no Monshou and Infinite Ryvius. Those are two of the best sci-fi animes ever made, and they both have involving and continuous plotlines.
Old 2003-11-18, 23:24   Link #7
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

I really didn't like gear fighter dendoh its like a new thing for kids as it was with the monters, only now with mechas.

Well shingetsutan Tsukihimie is very dark, but I would say that so far it is pretty good. avenger is ok too.
hmm well does ne1 know something really really good I don't like long animes that are like 100+ episodes because those kind of series drags on thigns forever.... Well I thank people for helping me out find some good things to watch. I think the farthest I will go right now is about 50 episodes tops for a series I don' know how long avenger will go seeing how it was made by the same people who made .hack, but I guess I will just go with it. hmm well thats it for now and if ne1 is reading this post and can't think of a sci-fi/tech anime or a fantasy well then suggest something that you think is good so that when I am as knowledged in the world of anime I can pass it to another ;P
Old 2003-11-22, 02:45   Link #8
Ainana

E's Otherwise. Espers in the future or a destroyed world, I can't figure out which

I agree that Shingetsutan Tsukihime is good...weird and confusing in the first episode though, I recommend you watch at least the first 5.

Princess Tutu (mix of episodic and REALLY interesting developing story line in the background, until it switches over entirely.)
The name really put me off at first, but actually it is a mix of modern day fairy tale and Grimm's style fairy tale...very dark. And it has ballet for some weird reason.

Hope this helps!
Old 2003-11-22, 05:09   Link #9
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

E's otherwise is the title? I'm confused well I just go ahead and check on it if that is what you are saying.

Yes I do like shingetsutan tsukihime thank you for seconding the recommendation, I'm on episode 6

I'll think about princess tutu because well I heard that it has a 180 degree turn halfway through the show hmmm but thanks for suggesting I really appreciate it

getting recommendations might be the push I need for watching it It has been the push for me to look at all the other shows and as before I ask that if you think there is something worth watching plz recommend it. I'm pretty open to most animes I've liked most of what I have watch so far, but again I prefer a sci-fi or techish and fantasy anime.

o and if you ever get back at looking at this post can you tell me a little more about E's otherwise (if thats the title) or ne1 who knows can reply.

A thousand thx for those who helped me and to those that will.
Old 2003-11-22, 09:11   Link #10
Aquillion

E's Otherwise is about people with mutant psychic powers who are used by a *cough* non-evil organization. This organization run by a guy who wears dark sunglasses and spends most of his time hinting at ominous plans, talking in technobabble, and arching his hands. Then there's a war between them and the other ability-users or something. And several random fight scenes between people who (literally) appear out of nowhere, fight, then vanish into thin air. Despite all the ominous hints, the plot seems to randomly go off on tangents, and most of the episodes are filler. Also there are sometimes large amounts of meaningless Christian symbolism.

...well, some people like it, and the first few episodes almost had me. But it goes nowhere fast.
Old 2003-11-22, 10:55   Link #11
Ainana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion
E's Otherwise is about people with mutant psychic powers who are used by a *cough* non-evil organization. This organization run by a guy who wears dark sunglasses and spends most of his time hinting at ominous plans, talking in technobabble, and arching his hands. Then there's a war between them and the other ability-users or something. And several random fight scenes between people who (literally) appear out of nowhere, fight, then vanish into thin air. Despite all the ominous hints, the plot seems to randomly go off on tangents, and most of the episodes are filler. Also there are sometimes large amounts of meaningless Christian symbolism.

...well, some people like it, and the first few episodes almost had me. But it goes nowhere fast.
I really disagree with this. How many episodes did you watch?
I seem to remember something along the lines of maybe 3 fillers?
Old 2003-11-22, 13:32   Link #12
NenMaster

try last exile its a very good series
Old 2003-11-23, 02:59   Link #13
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

well aside from saying that its good can you tell me something more like what kind of anime is it at least and if you can maybe even a very short summary so that I can decide on d/ling it? thx
Old 2003-11-23, 21:01   Link #14
Aquillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainana
I really disagree with this. How many episodes did you watch?
I seem to remember something along the lines of maybe 3 fillers?
That depends on how you look at it. I watched up to episode 19, and as far as I could tell most of the so-called plot arcs in E's Otherwise were also filler. After the show reached a certain point it just stopped and went in circles; very little changed between (say) episode 5 and 15.

Anyway, as for Last Exile... did you play Skies of Arcadia? It's like an anime based on that, only more serious. Steam-powered airships in it's a world where everyone uses sky travel. They also shoot at each other with steam-powered guns and go on adventures to find/destroy/discover things with lots of capital letters in their names. It's a pretty good adventure anime.
Old 2003-11-28, 09:00   Link #15
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

I've begun d/ling E's otherwise, haven't had time to watch it though...

Last Exile is licensed o man I was too slow o well I will just go ahead and buy it on DVD

I just began looking through the torrents page after all this time and after looking through the titles I was wondering which titles would be considered good recomendations and I'm posting on this thread because I couldn't ask on the torrents board it, maybe just because no one ever posted on it, but I can't post there so i was wondering, can ne1 plz suggest to me something good???
Old 2003-11-28, 10:54   Link #16
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Let's see some other really good ones imo would be:

Shadow Skill TV- it is a fantasy anime and fighting anime in one(deals with fighters who come from different lands to duel and with war over these fighters)

Scrapped Princess- fantasy again but deals with a princess who was to be killed because she was profitized to bring the end of the world when she reaches a certain age, but lived and her struggle to stay alive from her pursuers.

RUN=DIM- decent mecha anime about new suits and the kids who test them on each other(sorry still haven't finished this one)

Macross Zero OVA's 1&2- nuff said just amazing if you know anything about macross

Lord of Lords Ryu Knight- fantasy not to sure about the anime i just started it myself but you can start from ep1 by going to the triads website. they just started them again

Avenger- good it's a sci-fi fighting anime like the opposite of shadow skill and takes place on mars

My word of caution.....stay away from E's Otherwise just stop the download, the series goes to shit and has one of the worst endings ever. It doesn't explain jack shit about any of the characters and why they were special. To make matters worse most of the episodes are filler crap and really don't have anything to do with the overall storyline. STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS ONE. I wasted 9 cdr's on this one.
Closed Thread