AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-09, 05:32   Link #1801
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I like both girls but actually more on Ranka. I find that one sided Sheryl fans are really offensive towards the Ranka fans, but Ranka fans are like silent always.
Clearly you don't read Random Curiosities blog comments.
Old 2008-09-09, 05:39   Link #1802
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Quote:
Actually I think Alto is not good enough for both girls and that's what they're showing us now. He will probably end with do something worth the love of both of them though.
Much agreement here. We still haven't really seen Alto's "moment" as of yet, but it's close. This finale (or Season 2) may have that in store.

Quote:
I like both girls but actually more on Ranka. I find that one sided Sheryl fans are really offensive towards the Ranka fans, but Ranka fans are like silent always.
I dunno, but I think there was lively debate from both camps a few months back. Perhaps the fans are living through their respective characters a little bit *too* vicariously? I'm all for Sheryl, but I've never directed any vitriol against Ranka fans. Some of us here are probably a little more passionate about our characters, but arguing for the sake of argument, especially over fictional characters and how they are portrayed really isn't my cup of tea.
Old 2008-09-09, 06:00   Link #1803
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Yep, I don't read blogs at all lol, except dannychoo and such to find out latest items to get.

But the Sheryl camp felt like Haruhism back then, I was part of it, so if its similar, I will understand.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-09-09, 06:05   Link #1804
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Where do people get the idea that Alto isnīt good enough for Sheryl? Geeze.
We're being pessimistic.

Read what Tak said and then think about what we said. If that whole scene was for naught and everything ends up horribly wrong, he's not meant for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Quoted for truth... they're worse than the most fanatic Sheryl shippers here... and THAT'S saying something.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-09-09, 06:24   Link #1805
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
We're being pessimistic.

Read what Tak said and then think about what we said. If that whole scene was for naught and everything ends up horribly wrong, he's not meant for her.
Yeah, well... Tak basically laid out a "What if?" scenario. Some following entries looked more like a "It is!" case.
Old 2008-09-09, 08:02   Link #1806
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Up until recently Alto has been an object of desire by a girl and a woman and a glorified taxi. Up until recently Alto's role could have been played by any number of other male character personalities in a wide spectrum of anime. Up until recently Alto really wasn't playing a very important role in deciding the future of the series as his inaction did more then his action. He has been ping ponged back and forth between the two leading ladies and has been written into the story to seem important when in actuality he is not as important as people want to think he is. Disliking Alto is not something new. People just didn't bother vocalizing all that much. Admittedly I've been harping on Alto pretty hard for a while now, only because I think the character is shit and could have been written so much better than it has been. Of course that last sentence is going to be viewed as an attack on Alto instead of what it really means, which is the writers dropped the ball with Alto as a character.

(Do fictional character have their feelings hurt when you attack them verbally?)

Alto is now at a crossroads in the story. What he does in these last 3 episodes will determine his worth in the Macross series overall. We will all remember Sheryl, most of us fondly, and we will all remember Ranka, most of us with disdain but how many of us, a few years from now, will recall Alto with more than a passing acknowledgment that his nickname was Alto-hime because he looked like a girl and he won a girl at the end or something along those lines.

We will see in 3 episodes if Alto-hime passes beyond the realm of Supporting Character into the spotlight as an important Main Character in the scope of things. I really hope he does something big because I would like to end Season 1 at least neutral with Alto as a character.
Old 2008-09-09, 08:12   Link #1807
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, kilroy0097, I don't really agree with your statement. I wouldn't slam Alto's character in comparison to the protagonists in other Macross' series... he is, hands down, the most recognizable - be it because of his physical appearance or his uncommon background (I mean, c'mon, kabuki family? That's different).
And he's steadily turning out to be quite the sympathetic character. His actions toward Ranka (granted, before episode 21) and Sheryl (specially after episode 22) show a degree of maturity that most typical anime protagonists just do not have.

Dunno, it could all go out the window in the next three episodes, but he's shaping out to be one of my favorite male leads in the Macross 'verse. Right after Ikaru and Fokker (hey, I know he wasn't a "lead", but I still rank him as such). You just can't compare him to the dude from Zero (his name totally escapes me) or Basara (sorry, Basara fans). And the guys from Plus are on a different scale altogether (not a clear cut winner, there).

Old 2008-09-09, 08:19   Link #1808
Tsuchiro

Spoiler for official screenshots for 23:

wtf... is sheryl drunk? o.O
Old 2008-09-09, 08:22   Link #1809
CeruleaFeng
2qt2bstr8 ♥♥

Send a message via MSN to CeruleaFeng
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiro View Post
Spoiler for official pics:

Well, if you were dying, wouldn't you want to get smashed at least once?
Old 2008-09-09, 08:24   Link #1810
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Quote:

Sheryl in her 'Stardate' outfit FTW!

(sigh, please don't die on us)

Alto conversing with Leon FTL
Old 2008-09-09, 08:24   Link #1811
Westlo
Lets be reality

One for me and one for me and one for me and one for me. Guessing she gets smashed while waiting for Alto to come back... since he doesn't... since he goes of to think after the "amazing" revelation from Leon. (It's real hair, it's not a wig!!!)

@ Realist

Yes Star Date outfit ftw!
Old 2008-09-09, 08:25   Link #1812
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Well, at least she looks happy for once. Which hasn't happened in a long time.
Old 2008-09-09, 08:25   Link #1813
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:

O_O
Old 2008-09-09, 08:29   Link #1814
CeruleaFeng
2qt2bstr8 ♥♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
Well, at least she looks happy for once. Which hasn't happened in a long time.
Alcohol, the happy juice.

At least she isn't a sad or angry drunk.
Old 2008-09-09, 08:29   Link #1815
Wesley84

She looks like a happy drunk. That could be the answer. Any time she copes an attitude, hold her down, put a funnel in her mouth, and pour in a couple Long Island Ice Teas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
(Do fictional character have their feelings hurt when you attack them verbally?)
Yes, but only by proxy.
Old 2008-09-09, 08:31   Link #1816
CeruleaFeng
2qt2bstr8 ♥♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
She looks like a happy drunk. That could be the answer. Any time she copes an attitude, hold her down, put a funnel in her mouth, and pour in a couple Long Island Ice Teas.
I know quite a few people on whom I would consider trying that.
Old 2008-09-09, 08:34   Link #1817
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
Quote:
Yep, I don't read blogs at all lol, except dannychoo and such to find out latest items to get.

But the Sheryl camp felt like Haruhism back then, I was part of it, so if its similar, I will understand.
isnt dannychoo the shibuya storm trooper dancer

anyways

sheryl isnt like haruhiism in that sheryl is just totally awesome, without god involved lol.

if alto got sheryl drunk, this series will get an automatic 150% rating from me
Old 2008-09-09, 08:39   Link #1818
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Well, kilroy0097, I don't really agree with your statement. I wouldn't slam Alto's character in comparison to the protagonists in other Macross' series... he is, hands down, the most recognizable - be it because of his physical appearance or his uncommon background (I mean, c'mon, kabuki family? That's different).
And he's steadily turning out to be quite the sympathetic character. His actions toward Ranka (granted, before episode 21) and Sheryl (specially after episode 22) show a degree of maturity that most typical anime protagonists just do not have.

Dunno, it could all go out the window in the next three episodes, but he's shaping out to be one of my favorite male leads in the Macross 'verse. Right after Ikaru and Fokker (hey, I know he wasn't a "lead", but I still rank him as such). You just can't compare him to the dude from Zero (his name totally escapes me) or Basara (sorry, Basara fans). And the guys from Plus are on a different scale altogether (not a clear cut winner, there).

oh cmon about basara, if my rockband/guitar hero skills translated into my ability to save the universe while parachuting into my concerts, that would be sick.

basara is not realistic at all, but is a totaly ba.

STARDATE OUTFIT, omg yes

sry for double post got excited.
Old 2008-09-09, 08:50   Link #1819
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCL View Post
basara is not realistic at all, but is a totaly ba.
A what? Seriously, I have no idea what you said, here.

Old 2008-09-09, 09:00   Link #1820
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:

Love triangles always get rather nasty, no matter what side you're on. Generalizations like the type that you made earlier aren't all that uncommon either; fans of one character inevitably end up complaining about fans of the other. You'll always find people who are aggressive as a means of resolving their own feelings of uncertainty towards the character; I've seen more than I count on both sides of the fence.

Personally, I prefer to evaluate how a fanbase supports its character in terms of the ideas that it produces. More specifically, it's the process of thoroughly exploring the character/pairing, in order to get down to the essence of what makes it wonderful to watch. It's a simple enough process, but people often get so caught up with trying to "win" that they lose sight of the character.

It's a bit unfortunate, but it seems that Ranka's been rather neglected in that sense. Not that it's hard to change that, of course, so long as someone is passionate enough to make the effort.
Closed Thread

Tags
speculation, spoilers