AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-18, 11:36   Link #701
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post

By saying that Sheryl fans here are quick to defend Sheryl, I was giving a compliment not insulting you guys.
I apologize now to those who saw it as an insult.

*listening to Nyan Nyan Service Medley
I don't think anyone took it as an insult

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-11-18, 11:56   Link #702
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

No, not at all. I took issue with the group generalization, that's all. But really, this has derailed too much, already.

Old 2008-11-18, 13:02   Link #703
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
I'd like to say that Skull Fairy Squadron is know for it's fast interception time but that'll sound very fanboyish

Skully Fairy Squadron
? Where do I sign up?
Old 2008-11-18, 13:31   Link #704
herbert

In Galactic Fairy Fanclub ? or perhaps you just need to say "I'm in."
Old 2008-11-18, 18:03   Link #705
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Let's just say Sheryl has her unique moe lol
Sheryl is better described as Gar than Moe. We like her for her Skills, Inspirational ability and shear Awsomeness not because she's a cutie with big eyes that needs protection.

Sheryl is no more moe than Major Motoko Kusanagi or Excellen Browning. And about as Gar as either.

Saji Crossroads in Gundam OO is more moe than Sheryl.
Old 2008-11-18, 18:38   Link #706
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Saji Crossroads in Gundam OO is more moe than Sheryl.
Hell, even Setsuna in 00 is more moe than Sheryl *hides*

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-11-18, 19:02   Link #707
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hey don't bring in Excellen lol, I would have continued to bring the thread off the road if it isn't my sleeping time now.

Gar is one word that's been twisted so many times, I hate to talk about it.

As an SRW fan who is more Japanese than western in my beliefs, I mostly reject the word 'Gar'. I only measure a character by their hotbloodedness, courage and stuff you guys should know. Gar is not Japanese and worse is 4chan in origin.

Please don't quote me if you don't want this discussion to go on lol, for now I shall go to sleep.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-11-18, 19:31   Link #708
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
As an SRW fan who is more Japanese than western in my beliefs, I mostly reject the word 'Gar'. I only measure a character by their hotbloodedness, courage and stuff you guys should know. Gar is not Japanese and worse is 4chan in origin.
Yeah, it's 4chan in origin, but it didn't originally refer to mecha characters. It originally referred to Archer as a misspelling of "I am GAY for Archer," which was written as "I am GAR for Archer". It was meant to refer to badassery and awesomeness of characters in general, male or female.

In Black Lagoon (non-mecha, action and bad women) for example, Rock gets to be called GAR thanks to episode 6, simply because he gets to speak his mind to Revy in an awesome "I'm not taking this bullshit from you" kind of way.

A female example would be (in my opinion, and a few others it seems) is Balsa from Seirei no Moribito. Again, for simply being awesome.

Later on, I suppose it was appropriated into the mecha lingua franca thanks to Gao Gai Gar. Actually, I'm not sure about this part.

Last edited by kujoe; 2008-11-18 at 19:41.
Old 2008-11-19, 00:53   Link #709
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Hell, even Setsuna in 00 is more moe than Sheryl *hides*

- Tak
Even Aeolia is more moe then Sheryl *dodges, rolls, hides*

Old 2008-11-19, 14:33   Link #710
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
Even Aeolia is more moe then Sheryl *dodges, rolls, hides*
Might as well put Ali and Sergei to the mix as well
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2008-11-19, 15:04   Link #711
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Not Ali. He's GAR. Even if twistedly so. Not moe.

Old 2008-11-19, 15:10   Link #712
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

You guys are totally removing my sexy image of Sheryl, she's getting more manlier by the posts. Do you guys actually see her as a man? lol

Old 2008-11-19, 15:31   Link #713
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You guys are totally removing my sexy image of Sheryl, she's getting more manlier by the posts. Do you guys actually see her as a man? lol
Nah, we just tend to escalate our opinion to the point where some unfortunate yet brilliant comparisons greet the daylight. Non of us here is conscious of this fact and we are all living in a sinful tranquility, so please, do not make us go ballistic while trying to preach about some new, uncanny faith our closed up minds will not be able to comprehend. Nothing will sink in I'm afraid.

In other words, a bunch of stack up bastards will pass judgement on yer unholy persona.

Jokes aside, it's simply to underline our opinion on the topic

Old 2008-11-19, 15:33   Link #714
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

And, honestly, for you to be able to think of Sheryl as "manly" just because we don't see her as moe...

Old 2008-11-19, 15:44   Link #715
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I don't know, its the image you guys are trying to show me lol

I'm actually taking this 'discussion' as an opportunity to see character worship from a perspective of not being a worshipper.

This is some sort of case study for myself lol, for we did exactly the same back in the Haruhi forums. Definitely scared lots of people away, that's why I'm still around in this thread continuing my 'research'. Though I already know why it scares away non-fans, its always better to observe it first hand.

Do you guys actually see Sheryl as a goddess or something? I know I actually see Haruhi-sama as a goddess figure.

Old 2008-11-19, 16:15   Link #716
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Do you guys actually see Sheryl as a goddess or something? I know I actually see Haruhi-sama as a goddess figure.
Well, no and yes. This depends on a person and we have plenty of them here. During my time here I saw many different opinions on many different situations or aspects of Frontier. Be it a shipper a fan or anyone else, the discussion always strayed in the direction where the most obvious and reasonable answer was.

It's not that people here are trying to defend anything. It's not like people here worship anyone. It's more of a question of finding the best answer to the topic.

We sure did encounter many unreasonable and mostly funny opinions so we managed to form a firm concept of an opposing type of a person. Mind you, if you'd spout something irrational people will shout back. If your irrational then there is no reason to nod and accept it.

People can get fanatical on anything. I haven't seen any fanatics here. It's a question of opposing party. I'm sure you'll understand it. Some, if not most of us resorted to adding worshippers on our ignore lists.

In short, if you want your voice to be heard just prove your stance. Don't prove it using your minds logics but facts, quotes or anything you find fitting. I'm positive no one here will deprive you off of your will to post

Old 2008-11-19, 20:30   Link #717
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
I don't know, its the image you guys are trying to show me lol

I'm actually taking this 'discussion' as an opportunity to see character worship from a perspective of not being a worshipper.

This is some sort of case study for myself lol, for we did exactly the same back in the Haruhi forums. Definitely scared lots of people away, that's why I'm still around in this thread continuing my 'research'. Though I already know why it scares away non-fans, its always better to observe it first hand.

So who does "research" on the "researcher"?

But seriously, I don't think gar is even supposed to be applicable to Sheryl either. When the term is used towards female characters, it's usually to express a certain quality of personal toughness along with the power to kick butt, literally or figuratively. Sheryl may be a strong character in her own way, but she's no fighter in the literal sense, nor does she exude an admirable badass aura to the viewers. The pros of her character aren't exactly summed up under the gar category.

But to say that being "gar" is unsexy can also be wrong. The Major is gar, but she still ranks up there as being one of the most sexy female characters anime has to offer despite this label.
Old 2008-11-19, 21:51   Link #718
Mei19
LOL'ing at t3h old bags

The funny thing here is that MOE is subjective. It's a waste of space labeling Sheryl as moe or not because it wouldn't mean that she is/isn't.

What's not subjective is, Moe characters are loved and adored by fans. It's a good thing to be called moe. And GAR is a term used for manly men. If you apply it to Sheryl, then that's subjective again. If we all can see the pointlessness of all this labeling, might as well let it go. To each his own.
Old 2008-11-20, 05:06   Link #719
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Who called Sheryl GAR, again? Maybe I missed it... and props to the people who realized this is a completely subjective discussion...

Old 2008-11-20, 09:52   Link #720
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei19 View Post
The funny thing here is that MOE is subjective. It's a waste of space labeling Sheryl as moe or not because it wouldn't mean that she is/isn't.

What's not subjective is, Moe characters are loved and adored by fans. It's a good thing to be called moe. And GAR is a term used for manly men. If you apply it to Sheryl, then that's subjective again. If we all can see the pointlessness of all this labeling, might as well let it go. To each his own.
Well, it should be. But there is a big problem in determining the definite meaning of moe (unless you are talking from where it comes, in this case, "moeru". Lit. meaning : "To burn, to fire").

In general case, moe usage is actually geared to female anime characters who have/designed to have a lot of... err... Fanservice to the male species of the earth, or more focused to Japanese males In such case, moe are used to define a very cute female character, usually physically or in their actions. This is because those who usually uses the words moe were generally men themselves And Japanese males (coughgenerallyotakucough) uses this word on CUTE/LOLI anime female, in which our perception of moe is only geared to that kind of characters. Such is the fact of Japanese fascination with cute things.

In case of Sheryl, she does sometimes act cute (Episode 5 and Episode 23 play house part :3). However, she is and cannot be labelled as "general perspection" moe as she herself is not the "general" moe character type, as she really doesn't have the vibe of moe character. (Please, I am one of those who are surprised that Saimoe Japan got Sheryl in the prelim Case of those who views Saimoe as character popularity contest does arise sometimes in my head.)

Moe is not bad, in any case, for me. However, when it's general character type is inserted and developed wrongly, it does become bad Whether Sheryl's moe or not really depends on people's view on moe itself.

Closed Thread

Tags
characters, favorite