Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-03, 02:06   Link #1081
MikeyGrey
believe...

Spoiler for vn stuff:

Quote:
Damn there's someone out there stalking it just as much as I am. LOL.
i am as well lol. hopefully it wont be too long.

Last edited by MikeyGrey; 2010-10-03 at 02:29.
MikeyGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 03:46   Link #1082
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGrey View Post
Spoiler for vn stuff:

i am as well lol. hopefully it wont be too long.
That sounds about right. Didn't Shirou say something about Caliburn moving his body on it's own the first time he projected it and cut off the arm of Berserker in Fate?
Old 2010-10-03, 03:52   Link #1083
Tom Bombadil

Here is a question about the ending of the movie so I'll put it in spoilers.

Spoiler for Question:

I have played the game before but my memory is very fuzzy about the ending.
Old 2010-10-03, 04:55   Link #1084
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post

Spoiler for Question:

Spoiler:
Old 2010-10-03, 06:19   Link #1085
Sciel
Etoilé

I'm watching it now and yeah the "rushing" is definitely very noticeable. Action is awesome though
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 09:30   Link #1086
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksho View Post
He meant that if he allowed allowed Gil the time to use EA....then he would lose since he can't replicate that sword. (That's because he can only create swords made with earthly materials)
Yes. If Gil uses Ea, he wins. Of course, he doesn't use it, until it's too late....

Spoiler for Gilgamesh's Swords in Stock:

Quote:
Also, as I mentioned before...Shirou/Archer has access to potentially unlimited number of weapons which they can spam at will as long as they can keep their reality marble up (which according to the wiki can be kept up for several minutes before the world crushes it).
Well, he only has one copy of each natively present in the RM. He can make more, but it costs a lot of prana.

Quote:
And unlike Gil who has to open dimensional gates to his treasury and set them up before he can fire them...Shirou/Archer just need to levitate and shoot them.
Archer/Shirou are indeed quicker, but not quick enough to defeat Gil. Not least because he can essentially shoot anything, whereas they have to match swords with Gil or risk their choice getting beaten.

Quote:
If they fire hundreds of swords simultaneously each turn, Gil will have no choice but to counter with the same amount at every turn....and no amount of wealth is THAT bottomless.
You're underestimating Gi's wealth here....

Quote:

Spoiler for Question:

Spoiler for UBW:

Last edited by Cherry_Lover; 2010-10-03 at 15:31.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 11:40   Link #1087
Geburah

Just finished the movie.

Overall is pretty good but if you have already read the VN some things really HURT due to plot and time constrictions, skipping certain important (not really a must but fleshed things a lot more) scenes/dialogs, using another choice of weapons in some fights that have NO SENSE.

My advice: Watch it with an open mind and youll have a good movie, expect a Kara no Kyokai movie fidelity and you might be dissapointed
Geburah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 12:00   Link #1088
Scrya
"Also a Lolicon"

Send a message via MSN to Scrya
There's a 1080p version from a CLI 1080p raw and UTW subs (probably the subtitles), though CLI probably got the stuff from UTW because they said they wouldn't be collaborating.

Is it not a sham of sorts? o_o.
Scrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 12:16   Link #1089
Tom Bombadil

Thanks @ Darkside and Cherry_Lover.

By the way what is with the dolphin? I kept my eye rolling during the whole segment. That was so out of no where.
Of course I know what it was covering up. But a dolphin?!
Old 2010-10-03, 12:26   Link #1090
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
By the way what is with the dolphin? I kept my eye rolling during the whole segment. That was so out of no where.
Well, dragons were already taken, so...
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 12:36   Link #1091
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I awake to a finished download. I shall be enjoying this soon .

Will be posting my thoughts later.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 12:46   Link #1092
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrya View Post
There's a 1080p version from a CLI 1080p raw and UTW subs (probably the subtitles), though CLI probably got the stuff from UTW because they said they wouldn't be collaborating.

Is it not a sham of sorts? o_o.
It happens all the time. People rip the soft-subs and apply to another raw. I'd suggest waiting for UTW's 1080p if you want a 1080p, since ripping the soft-subs doesn't transfer typesets.

Quote:
Kind of describes Rin's personality. Fierce, loyal, playful, star of the sea (...school?).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 12:54   Link #1093
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I can't say I was terribly impressed by this movie.

In term of quality, I wouldn't call it on par with the releases we got recently (although it would be a bit unfair to compare it with Kara no Kyoukai from the get go): the movie itself kept the design of the anime for the better and for the worse.
My gripes in that department however is the seemly bloody habit of DEEN animators to cut corners by abusing distance still shots and unecessary camera rotation.
They are definitely trying to cut cost in every way possible, despite doing so in the EMIYA scene wasn't a good idea.
Indeed, the animation itself was average at best and I believe this kind of thing would have been even more noticeable at the theatre but well. Meanwhile, the design itself was okay, although the details weren't really great (for some reason, they decided that Archer looks cooler with pale pink glass swords... heh?). The biggets issue in term of design was probably UBW/Gates of Babylon: the swords were rendered properly first, then they became flashy sticks as if they were a simple beam spam. This is not helped with weapon "slash" trail being COLORED as well... and not, not with the respective weapon color scheme.
That said, we have the gratuitious penchant of DEEN in rendering a -lot- of blood for no peculiar reason. I think Shirou may have some "unlimited blood works" considering few instances, despite the wounds are arguably not of the same scale as the blood loss.

In term of music, there isn't any major complain or praise, although I would again point out that EMIYA scene had some issue, notably with that terrible "mute" period, and the timing of emiya BGM being somewhat poor (the tune itself is obvious as the "turnabout" theme, yet they used it quite early).

Of course, the true problem of this movie adaptation is the direction and the content. Suffice to say, it is naive to expect a proper adaptation of UBW with only 1h45. However, the way DEEN did it wasn't any flattery. It isn't as bad as Umineko adaptation, but the cuts are really noticeable, even for someone who never read F/SN prior watching this adaptation: in fact, without prior knowledge, one would be extremely confused even regarding the "central plot".
It is fair not to have any background for Saber, Ilya etc, but it is not really okay if the spectator is left in the dark regarding Shirou and Archer (Shirou's motivations are barely touched and the scene showing that lacked a lot of impact, Archer's conviction was extremely dull so to speak etc).
So as ironic as it is, the major characters have as little coverage as the side characters: Rin is arguably doing anything constructive for the Emiya duo, Shirou is barely the "supid good guy trying to save everyone" with the pure absence of the complex behind that, Archer just wants to do X or Y for the hell of it, etc.

Things are even more complicated when the characters aren't acting "sanely". Of course, the original material wasn't void of plothole, but the movie didn't help with the extremely minimal portrayal of the non main characters (a fault that the original anime series was plagued to the very bone).
Therefore, a lot of decisions don't seem exactly right. Of course, they are "fine" for those who read original UBW (although I still question Archer's life status at the time Shirou was challenging Gil).

Finally, aside of the direction and camera use during the action scenes, these were plagued by the utter absence of obvious "circumstances" that dictate any "power level decrepencies" in nasuverse. Frankly, if I didn't read F/SN beforehand, I would actually think that heroic spirits are weak as hell, or at least Caster and Archer, considering the lack of details that show how humans could fight on stand still with these two. This is even worse if you consider the fact that Shirou didn't seem "immortal", as he is definitely far mess injured in this adaptation than any other.
It just makes a lot of "battle setup" nonsensical, which leaves questions why a master should leave things to their servant whereas they can fight like monsters as well (it isn't like it would be hard to show otherwise anyway: like enhanced magic glow on kuzuki fists, obvious strains on Shirou's body each time he is tracing something etc).

For all it takes, this movie is definitely only a "tribute" for the VN readers, and as one of them, I can't call it a successful adaptation, nor entertainement. I discarded the thought of having a good adaptation, but I didn't have any thrill or joy to see some scenes in actions considering the poor direction of this movie.
Suffice to say, it isn't atrocious and it has redeeming qualities, but there are way too much stupid points that rub me on the very wrong way (Shirou tracing Caliburn, Rin encanting her pact with Saber while Archer was doing nothing for 20 full seconds (that's right, TWENTY damn seconds) etc).

Sort of average I guess.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-10-03 at 13:08.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 13:38   Link #1094
LostHanyou

I'm not sure what you mean by the EMIYA theme, in fact I thought the scene was the best in the movie solely because of the soundtrack. But I agree with everything else.
LostHanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 13:44   Link #1095
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

What I meant is that the timing was off. The theme wasn't an issue, but rather how the sound director had the "nice idea" to leave dozen of seconds without any BGM or voice, then switch directly to Emiya bgm without much of a transition.

I mean, it would have made much more sense to start the theme as soon as Shirou resumes the battle (and if the theme was too longwinded on the intro, nothing prevents them to cut the slow start), but not when he is still in shock after witnessing Archer's memories.
Old 2010-10-03, 16:13   Link #1096
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

Right i watched the movie halfway. And decided to watch the series again. Cos I feel like they are rushing through things and not even reminding me what command spells were again. Through the pacing i can't get any feeling for a particular scene.
Old 2010-10-03, 18:34   Link #1097
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Movie Thoughts:
Old 2010-10-03, 18:52   Link #1098
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast_within View Post
Right i watched the movie halfway. And decided to watch the series again. Cos I feel like they are rushing through things and not even reminding me what command spells were again. Through the pacing i can't get any feeling for a particular scene.
Well, the series won't help much, because it's a different route. The whole thing is definitely rushed, because they're trying to fit a route that is actually slightly longer than the Fate route into a 90 minute movie rather than a 12-hour anime series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I was wondering what the universe had against Rin and Shirou after seeing how things kept going from bad to worse, to even worse. Just when I thought their situation couldn't get more hopeless it seemed I was wrong.
As far as Nasuverse protagonists go, they've got it damn good, actually. I'm struggling to think of anyone better off than Rin, and Shirou isn't exactly in a bad situation either.
Old 2010-10-03, 19:47   Link #1099
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

^ agreed. Just think of poor Shiki from Tsukihime... Now that's some effed up stuff.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 20:00   Link #1100
Cherry_Lover

Well, everyone in Tsukihime has it bad, really. As does everyone else in FSN. Rin is just about the only character in both games who is something resembling happy in every single ending (she's even OK in quite a few of the bad ones...).