Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-08-26, 19:03   Link #1061
kenzman

Balalaika!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L View Post
Might not be a pull-string figure, but it is Shenhua, so....

And... Balalaika, anyone?

Who makes that Balalaika? Ive been hunting all over for her and have come up with nothing. Any one have any leads?

Thanks,

Ken
kenzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-29, 12:24   Link #1062
Icehawk

Anyone else picked up the new Second Barrage DVD yet? I just recently watched the vampire twins arc in english. Congrats to Geneon for making such a great dub for this series. The twins had excellent english VA work.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-29, 14:11   Link #1063
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
Anyone else picked up the new Second Barrage DVD yet? I just recently watched the vampire twins arc in english. Congrats to Geneon for making such a great dub for this series. The twins had excellent english VA work.
I saw it, but how did Geneon manage to release it? Aren't they defunct now? I thought Funimation picked up most of their licenses.

Seconded on the incredible dub. BL is one of the few series I would totally recommend in English. Balalaika's voice is insanely good.
Old 2008-08-29, 15:06   Link #1064
Icehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
I saw it, but how did Geneon manage to release it? Aren't they defunct now? I thought Funimation picked up most of their licenses.

Seconded on the incredible dub. BL is one of the few series I would totally recommend in English. Balalaika's voice is insanely good.

Geneon USA is not *actually* a dead company, they just closed their distribution department and so they are still the license holder of the shows and the producer of the actual dubs for all their shows. Funimation just partnered with them and got distribution rights.

For the first runs of the new Geneon releases, Funimation are just using leftover stock that Geneon was ready to release but couldnt when they first closed their distribution department last year. The Second Barrage DVD's that you can now find in stores will not have any Funimation logo's on them for this reason, but after they go through the initial remaining Geneon made stock they you will start seeing ones that might have the funimation logo tacked onto them. But again, the shows are still owned and dubbed by Geneon USA and Funimation just packages the final discs and distributes them.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 09:09   Link #1065
Appurukami

Ok so I've just finished waiting second barrage, and I thought it was great etc etc.
But I have just one question.
Can Revy actually speak Japanese?
It seems that she cant speak (or just refuses to speak) Japanese sometimes, yet other times like when she speaks to Gin, she speaks Japanese.
So whats the deal? is she supposed to be speaking English all the time or is she just not that good at Japanese?
Appurukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 11:39   Link #1066
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Revy is speaking English only. The parts where she speaks Japanese is for benefit of Japanese viewers since it is Japanese series, just like Russian soldiers speak English in old Cold War movies made in Hollywood.
Old 2009-05-17, 14:37   Link #1067
grognougnou

To kenzman :

The Balalaïka figure appears to be a garage kit that you can buy at e2046.com
This figure was showed at WHF Yokohama Dash-1 and at some other festivals.
The group who made this garage kit is "true heavenly father" or "real father heaven" (name traduced from japanese with google translation tools", so that's not accurate).

Excuse for my bad english, my mother tong is french.
I hope, it helps a little.

Regards
grognougnou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-05, 10:54   Link #1068
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Revy cosplay

I saw this over at ANN and thought I'd add a link to it here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...n2009041-1.jpg

Just amazing, especially the tattoo!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 17:27   Link #1069
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I saw this over at ANN and thought I'd add a link to it here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...n2009041-1.jpg

Just amazing, especially the tattoo!
Revy being on a fluffy white bed somehow seems wrong to me.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 18:30   Link #1070
Jay911

Send a message via ICQ to Jay911 Send a message via AIM to Jay911 Send a message via MSN to Jay911 Send a message via Yahoo to Jay911
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Revy being on a fluffy white bed somehow seems wrong to me.
What? She was at the place where Balalaika shoots the videos she edits.. the bed was there, Revy was tired of being on her feet all day...
Jay911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 02:02   Link #1071
Myname

Question about Episode 02, first season.

Why did the Russian Mafia give back the disk to Kageyama after telling Revy and company to steal it from him in the first place? Didn't he also send the E.O. mercenaries to kill them? So why did he welcome back Rock to the company?

Basically, what was the whole point of all the deaths?
Myname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 09:56   Link #1072
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myname View Post
Question about Episode 02, first season.

Why did the Russian Mafia give back the disk to Kageyama after telling Revy and company to steal it from him in the first place? Didn't he also send the E.O. mercenaries to kill them? So why did he welcome back Rock to the company?

Basically, what was the whole point of all the deaths?
1. Hotel Moscow just wanted it in order to blackmail the company for money and attended give it back after they got what they wanted. The company didn't know this for sure so thats why they sent mercenaries so they wouldn't need to risk illegal dealing getting out to the public.

2. Rock's boss was going to welcome him back because he proved himself a worthy asset to the company having been able to come out alive after everything he had been through. However Rock refused because of the way he was always being treated like dirt.

3. Money plan and simple, as a matter of fact this is the entire them of the Black Lagoon series. Money, Power, Corruption, Death, and how the world isn't as sunshine and rainbows as people like to think because believe it or not somethings like in this series happens everyday in some remote part of the world.
Old 2009-11-09, 15:18   Link #1073
CoolKidsClub

i just finished the first 2 seasons..yeah a great show overall... it reminded me of Cowboy Bebop a lot which is a good thing i guess...but the show was going down hell after the twins arc.....my post contain spoilers
the last fight was the worst fight in the entire series..who the fuck runs up to a swordsman with guns and fight melee
and i hated Rock hes like the Shinji and Sasuke adult version...yeah he showed his wits a couple of times but most of the time hes either being useless, kidnapped, emo or struggling in the twight between light and darkness(direct quote) but the rest of the crew totally makes up for it and Revy kicks ass
CoolKidsClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 21:52   Link #1074
big_slick001
I...D...K...
*Artist

Well ive seen all tha episodes, and read all the manga, even thought im reading tha manga a second time, im just waiting on the Third season OVA
CANT WAIT! i wanna c how Roberta starts her rampage
big_slick001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 07:43   Link #1075
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Apparently they released some "omake" episodes as part of the Blu-ray version of Black Lagoon. They're up on Youtube in Japanese but no subtitles. I watched a bit of the high-school episode and thought it looked pretty funny (particularly Balalaika as the teacher; bet she puts the fear of kamisama in her students). I guess I can't ask about where there might be fansubbed versions, but so far I haven't heard of any.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 13:12   Link #1076
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Apparently they released some "omake" episodes as part of the Blu-ray version of Black Lagoon. They're up on Youtube in Japanese but no subtitles. I watched a bit of the high-school episode and thought it looked pretty funny (particularly Balalaika as the teacher; bet she puts the fear of kamisama in her students). I guess I can't ask about where there might be fansubbed versions, but so far I haven't heard of any.
They're hilarious and yet they still managed to freak the shit out of me. Still, most omakes I watch usually end up sucking and get low scores from me, but once again, Black Lagoon still manages to surprise me (not that I haven't read some of them from the manga, though). Here's hoping they get subbed soon (although for people who read them from the manga are not missing out on much).

I always suspected Benny might be a closet otaku, lol. He awfully looks like Jane in ep4 when they switch genders. I must say, Rock doesn't look bad as a woman. And lol the twins gender remained unchanged. And I was also looking forward to see how a male Revy would look like! and yet, at the same time, I'm relieved I didn't get the chance to see it.

But who did the voice of 'Magical Girl Revy' ? Her voice sounded so different, it's hard to imagine that it was the same voice actress.

Last edited by Zwei; 2010-03-26 at 13:28.
Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 14:32   Link #1077
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
But who did the voice of 'Magical Girl Revy' ? Her voice sounded so different, it's hard to imagine that it was the same voice actress.
I know it's hard to believe, though that is indeed Toyoguchi Megumi who does the voice for Revy . I've heard her voice different roles that sounded just like the one we heard for the magical girl episode.

The Melancholy Of Balalaika was so , though i find it impossible to say which one is my favourite. Genderswap episode is a close one.

Edit: Oh i thought i remembered a few of them. They're animated from the manga.
Old 2010-05-11, 13:17   Link #1078
Black0raz0r
Red vs Blue

Send a message via MSN to Black0raz0r
I love the "Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise"

in this episodes looks Revy awesome

I've got this Revy figure @home
Old 2010-05-11, 20:50   Link #1079
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black0raz0r View Post
I love the "Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise"

in this episodes looks Revy awesome

I've got this Revy figure @home
that is a great Revy figure
Old 2010-05-11, 23:33   Link #1080
Jay911

Send a message via ICQ to Jay911 Send a message via AIM to Jay911 Send a message via MSN to Jay911 Send a message via Yahoo to Jay911
^ Win. Where can one get that?

Tags
action, crime, madhouse, seinen