Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-05-13, 05:45   Link #1
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

V (2009)

I wonder how many of you actually watched this series? The original series dated back in the 80s IIRC (watched it on my cousin's VHS) and was ecstatic when there was a retelling (well, not really, but basically the same premises)

In short, the summary of the story can be told as, an alien invasion on earth. The different here is that instead of coming to earth with guns blazing, they came to the earth as friend.. The truth, however, was that they have long been scouting Earth and send agents that disguised themselves and live on as human.. terrorists, doctors, police, politician .. all sorts of life on earth.

Story focused on a small group of resistance.. those peoples that knew the real face of these Visitors.

I sucks at story summarizing .. but I'm just curious at how many fans this series have.. Currently 11 episodes .. Though the initial reaction to the earlier episodes was positive (from what I've read on the net) .. Its always nice to hear(or read) it from actual fans of the series itself.

I do not know if its broadcast to other nations tho (I downloaded the episodes from torrent) :x
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 06:25   Link #2
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I loved the original, but I no longer remember much of it, other than key episodes such as the one where Diana (was that her name?) revealed her true reptilian face.

Sometimes, I wonder at the rate with which hit 80s series are being remade for a new generation. It speaks perhaps of a lack of innovation in Hollywood? Can't think of something new? I know, let's re-invent a success story! Sure-fire hit!

There's the new Battlestar Galatica and the new Knight Rider, for example. I haven't watched the former, and I absolutely loathe the look of the new Kitt.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 07:02   Link #3
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Reminds me of a film called They Live. Brilliant storyline for that one.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 07:37   Link #4
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Ahh, V....

Marc Singer (Beastmaster what?), Robert Englund (Sans freddy outfit lol) and countless other memories....

So goofy when I look back on it but back then, pretty bloody popular.

I've watched the new one, and admit I wasn't THAT impressed with it, though I'll give it a shot. It just seemed to kind of drag, and I keep waiting for the punchline

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 07:52   Link #5
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I loved the original, but I no longer remember much of it, other than key episodes such as the one where Diana (was that her name?) revealed her true reptilian face.

Sometimes, I wonder at the rate with which hit 80s series are being remade for a new generation. It speaks perhaps of a lack of innovation in Hollywood? Can't think of something new? I know, let's re-invent a success story! Sure-fire hit!

There's the new Battlestar Galatica and the new Knight Rider, for example. I haven't watched the former, and I absolutely loathe the look of the new Kitt.
Heh.. yup .. Diana was the evil queen in the original series.. Back then, the scene where she ate a rat(guinea pig) was rather freaky .. but it made me chuckled now (you can youtube the scene )

I hate the new KITT too.. lost some kind of its charm (of course, its the kid's memory back then when I ruffled my cousin's video trove back then for his old series)

Anyway, I kinda love this new incarnation of this title.. There are flaws under scrutiny, but for both me and my wife, we find it quite enjoyable (of course, my wife teased me that I'm ONLY watching it for Lisa) but...

Must be the V's sneakiness that attracts me towards them
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-05-13, 08:22   Link #6
james0246

Quote:
Must be the V's sneakiness that attracts me towards them
Yeah, that's my main reason for watching the show right now. Watching how the resistance reacts to whatever the Vs are going to do (often times not reacting soon enough) is my main enjoyment in the show. The resistance fighters themselves are a little too...pretty (then again, so are the Visitors (Supergirl is hot)) and a little milquetoast (guess ABC can't let them be too much like terrorist, especially in New York City), but still there are some interesting character types (not quite so interesting developments yet).

One thing I do dislike about the show, and this stretches to most non-Lost dramas on ABC (especially HappyTown and Flashforward), the internal structure of each episode demands some sort of surprise in each episode; a hook to get you to watch next week that both answers important previous questions, while at the same time presenting new questions. Now, this is an important feature for story driven shows, but it really hinders character development when you are constantly expecting another "what-a-twist" or a sudden character twist.

Quote:
Reminds me of a film called They Live. Brilliant storyline for that one.
They Live is a great satire/cult classic by maestro horror director John Carpenter (back when he actually meant something). Technically, though, V came out before They Live...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 08:51   Link #7
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

The destruction kept at a minimum I think fits the story, as the V as trying their best to cover all their dirty deeds..

I especially love the last episode
Spoiler:

As for the twist.. well, basically its quite tame TBH for me.. of course, I dont watch that many series .. CSI, Numb3r, Dexter are the only other series that I watch - and they usually episodic (we Malaysian gets behind when it comes to TV series, often 1 or 2 seasons behind) so most of my watching are done by streaming sites ..
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-05-13, 11:34   Link #8
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Morena Baccarin <3<3

Loved it at the start, but then it started off kinda bland after the hiatus, then next week is the series finale when it heats up again. Ahh. . .ABC.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 12:09   Link #9
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I was quite interested at the start, but it I lost interest in it after the 3rd episode.

On another note...

GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 18:48   Link #10
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
I was quite interested at the start, but it I lost interest in it after the 3rd episode.

On another note...

OMFG! LOL..... I haven't seen V its been in my "to watch" list for some time now...but for some reason I suddenly lost interest......
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 19:54   Link #11
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
I wonder how many of you actually watched this series?
Oh the memories!

Never missed an episode back when it aired over here.

Haven't watched anything of this new version, though.
Old 2010-05-13, 20:58   Link #12
Lost Cause

V!

OMG, V! Boy does that bring back memories!! Watched the original back when it first aired and have been catching the new one when I can. Know who I really miss from the original series, and should have a cameo in the new one? Michael Ironside! The guy is the perfect anti-hero. First a gun runner/mercinary, then a resistance cel higher up!
I also saw the original Battlestar Galactica and the new one. Prefer the original.

Ride, Boldly Ride!

Last edited by Lost Cause; 2010-05-13 at 21:00. Reason: Fumble fingers!;)
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 14:12   Link #13
Nosauz

The only reason why I watch V is because Lost is the lead in, once lost ends I doubt i'll ever tune into V. Also the production values are just terrible, and the overall story is very contrived and just feels lacking in some point. Also the guy from the 4400 doesnt make the show any better, especially since he was typecasted as the fbi agent, but him as a priest is just hilarious.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote