Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-03-27, 18:34   Link #3181
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
Well, 97 was a pretty fitting end, though it's always a little sad to see Goku go...but Kai is over! I thought it was a great run.
Seconded. To me, 96 felt like the real ending, and 97 was more of a nice cool-down epilogue. Really curious how 98 would've turned out if it got to air...I guess we'll have to find out as a DVD/BR special or something.

The show has been a weekly staple for me for almost, what, 2 years now? I'm sure gonna miss it.

And fyi, this thread has the most posts in the "Current Series" section right now (Shiroth leading the charge with over 400 posts)! It's been a fun ride, folks.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 18:41   Link #3182
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
Seconded. To me, 96 felt like the real ending, and 97 was more of a nice cool-down epilogue. Really curious how 98 would've turned out if it got to air...I guess we'll have to find out as a DVD/BR special or something.
They'd probably just use the parts of episode 194 that deals with Trunks plus maybe some of the Mr Satan or slice of life stuff from episode 193 to pad it out. Now that it's just a special, they could probably make due with just the parts from 194.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 18:48   Link #3183
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well not a bad last episode. Though felt like they were shoving Trunks out the door during his farewell . The real shame is missing out on Trunk's future rampage.
Old 2011-03-27, 19:12   Link #3184
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

well regardless of how it finished it was a nice run.
Old 2011-03-27, 21:13   Link #3185
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:

The show has been a weekly staple for me for almost, what, 2 years now? I'm sure gonna miss it.

And fyi, this thread has the most posts in the "Current Series" section right now (Shiroth leading the charge with over 400 posts)! It's been a fun ride, folks.
Same here, this has been the only series I've followed consistently for some time now. It's going to be too bad next Sunday when I have no DBK to watch. Oh well. Surprised I have over 100 posts in this thread alone. It's been good discussing arguably the best anime of all time with the pack of posters over 100 on that list! Damn, this is reminding me of when Dragonball first ended during my childhood. I'm sure going to miss it.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 21:50   Link #3186
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
One more thing. Originally, didn't Vegeta fly off saying he'd never fight again? Seems that they either changed it to "I need to train" or the subs are just horrendous for this episode.
They were indeed. That was just one of many translation errors, Vegeta also said "How could you die like that?!" and not "How do you always surpass me?!"

Anyways, after two years of following Kai weekly, it's hard to believe it's ending like this... In such an... anti-climatic manner. In its last few weeks we've had:

- The cancellation of the final major and conclusive arc.
- Soundtrack revealed to be a product of plagiarising.
- As a result the last few episodes are done with the original DBZ soundtrack, which has a very different feel to it, making the overall product feel inconsistent.
- The very final planned episode cancelled as well as a result of a natural disaster, and no word on if it'll be released on DVD eventually or anything.

And yeah, this episode definitely felt rushed as well if you ask me. *sigh* Looks like Kai won't be the definitive animated version of Dragon Ball after all.

Not sure what to do now. Leaving this current watchthrough of the series halfway through annoys me quite a bit, so I'm considering re-watching the Buu arc in DBZ, but after being used to Kai's pacing my tolerance with all the padding and filler will be probably be pretty low. But holding on to hope that an eventual Dragon Ball Kai 2: Buu-hen comes around seems like an even worse idea.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-28, 02:30   Link #3187
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I had no idea i posted that much in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Not sure what to do now. Leaving this current watchthrough of the series halfway through annoys me quite a bit, so I'm considering re-watching the Buu arc in DBZ, but after being used to Kai's pacing my tolerance with all the padding and filler will be probably be pretty low. But holding on to hope that an eventual Dragon Ball Kai 2: Buu-hen comes around seems like an even worse idea.
How about reading the Buu saga in the manga? That's basically Kai.

Does anyone know what's gonna happen to the DVD's and BR's that are already available with the plagiarised score? I would have thought they'd re-release them, though i've heard nothing of the sort. Only ask because i'm tempted to buy a few of the Funi releases.
Old 2011-03-28, 16:07   Link #3188
Kallen4life

is 97 the last ep ?

btw watching the Cell saga of Kai right now in a sorta marathon (from beginning of the Cell games to the end), just saw ep 89 (2-nd part of the fight Goku vs Cell - all the juicy stuff) and well - it's still the best fight I've seen in an anime .. 90s rocked hard ^^
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-28, 16:19   Link #3189
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
is 97 the last ep ?
Yes it is.
Old 2011-03-28, 20:51   Link #3190
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Does anyone know what's gonna happen to the DVD's and BR's that are already available with the plagiarised score? I would have thought they'd re-release them, though i've heard nothing of the sort. Only ask because i'm tempted to buy a few of the Funi releases.
I imagine they won't change. I'm not even sure if any episode that's already released on DVD/BD in Japan will get an updated score. I'm not sure if the American broadcast is up to where Japan is in DVD yet or not, though, so hard to say. I'd be disappointed not getting the new tracks on Vegeta's death, since it adds so much to the scene imo.

Also, Trunks vs Cell is not going to be nearly as cool now.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-28, 23:18   Link #3191
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well I'm actually gonna change my opinion...After watching the last two episodes it did feel like a fitting end to the series...It kinda sucked that I've grown attached to the "sue"-music and it's gonna be silly if they have to change it in the US version aswell, because it really gave the show a simpler tone that coincided with the no-frills story-telling...The old DBZ music, while appropriately nostalgic, is just so busy all the time...It can be distracting at times...

Looks like the dude stealing music is what really derailed things...I so much wanted to see Majin Vegeta re-imagined, but them the breaks T_T...

LMAO @ Krillen, so he had a kid with an android? I liked Funi's lie-dub on that better^^...

All in all it was great...Never thought I'd ever get back into DBZ like I did for this series (Especially being able to watch it through my kid-nephew's eyes)...So glad I did, because no matter how much cool or deeper anime I've seen, DBZ will always be the one show that stands in the forefront...It was the bridge to where I am today...I always was an cartoon over comicbook kid growing up, and DBZ (Before I truly discovered anime) was just the pinnacle for a kid who grew up loving action cartoons...

It's simply, OVER 9000!^^
Old 2011-03-29, 02:34   Link #3192
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I'd be disappointed not getting the new tracks on Vegeta's death, since it adds so much to the scene imo.
I agree. Tempted to just buy the Freeza fight, because that was probably my favourite part about Kai. Music placement for that was so good.
Old 2011-03-29, 06:15   Link #3193
Mukki

Send a message via AIM to Mukki
Quote:
I imagine they won't change. I'm not even sure if any episode that's already released on DVD/BD in Japan will get an updated score. I'm not sure if the American broadcast is up to where Japan is in DVD yet or not, though, so hard to say. I'd be disappointed not getting the new tracks on Vegeta's death, since it adds so much to the scene imo.

Also, Trunks vs Cell is not going to be nearly as cool now.
The insert songs so far appear to have been untouched (Yamamoto didn't compose them), so Trunks vs Cell may still be just as awesome.
Mukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 07:55   Link #3194
Kallen4life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtzR-TDXX-I am I correct in assuming this is the original japanese perfect cell theme ? not some remix or the Bruce Faulconer version .. and this actually played in the original DBZ japanese run ? Because this is so awesome, right up there with Spirit vs Spirit

P.S. I always kinda thought the Bruce Faulconer Perfect Cell theme was in the japanese version as well .. I mean, is there a reason they made so much new music for the dub ? not that I'm complaining
We are Blackwatch

Last edited by Kallen4life; 2011-03-29 at 08:06.
Old 2011-03-29, 08:25   Link #3195
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtzR-TDXX-I am I correct in assuming this is the original japanese perfect cell theme ?
No, that's Bruce Faulconer. The original japanese music played for Perfect Cell is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrNiWhMzzm0
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 08:39   Link #3196
Kallen4life

I'm confused now .. what's this one then ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIgLSNY5PDQ also Bruce Faulconer .. that means my first link above is a remix of this ? both of them have the same tune - that tune is dub-only ? never appeared in the japanese run ?
We are Blackwatch
Old 2011-03-29, 10:16   Link #3197
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
I'm confused now .. what's this one then ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIgLSNY5PDQ also Bruce Faulconer .. that means my first link above is a remix of this ? both of them have the same tune - that tune is dub-only ? never appeared in the japanese run ?
Yes, the video you linked says "Remix" and that's exactly what it is. That music wasn't composed yet in the original Japanese run, as it was created by Bruce Faulconer for Funimation's dub.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 11:43   Link #3198
Kallen4life

wow, so one of my fav tracks is from the dub, cool .. go Bruce ^^
We are Blackwatch
Old 2011-03-29, 11:50   Link #3199
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
How about reading the Buu saga in the manga? That's basically Kai.
Without music, voices, color, movement... >_>

But yeah I guess it'll have to do. Either that or DBZ Buu manually skipping all the filler. Though that sounds like it'd be a pain... I wish some kind of super dedicated fan would come along and "Kai-ify" the Buu arc, lolz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
LMAO @ Krillen, so he had a kid with an android?
Nope. 18# was never an android. She's a cyborg.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 12:23   Link #3200
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
The original japanese music played for Perfect Cell is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrNiWhMzzm0
That's not specifically Perfect Cell's theme. That theme plays several times throughout the Cell Saga, and amongst those times are times when Cell isn't even there.